ICTFF - Chapter 7




Be more desperate than anyone else to get a chance (7)

Kjer immediately hugged my body, which was leaning weakly, unable to sit properly.

A cold gaze fell on my face. Even though I was racing, it stung so I quickly closed my eyes.

“What did you give this child?”

“Oh, how did Mr. Kjer come to our store...I don’t know anything! I was surprised when she suddenly collapsed!”

“I’ll have to cut off his finger to make him listen, Jason.”

“Let’s start with the little finger.”

“Eek! I gave her a dream! But that woman begged me so hard that I gave it to her. I told her to stop several times! Seriously!”

“It’s a dream. Isn’t this an item that is prohibited from sale?”

“That’s right, Your Grace.”

The voice of Jason, Kjer's aide, continued briefly.

He followed Kjer like a shadow wherever he went.

“Confiscate everything and kick them out of the streets.”

"Yes."

“Oh my, there’s no bar on 71st Street that doesn’t sell dreams! I’m not the only one selling them! Do you think Mr. Kjer knew this too and are you still doing this?”

“Bring me a list of people who traded in prohibited items.”

"All right."

Kjer started walking while carrying me.

Suddenly, I heard the sound of the carriage door opening, and my body was placed on a soft chair.

"Ha..."

Kjer's heavy breathing filled the carriage. The air became heavy.

I really wanted to stay still, but because of the alcohol, my body was shaking in a figure 8 pattern. To make matters worse, my head was starting to throb.

Ah, now I remember. 'Dream' had such a dirty aftertaste.

“Brother, I have a headache.”

“...”

As Kjer gave some orders outside, water soon came into the carriage.

I came to my senses as I drank the cold water that was so cold it made my teeth tingle.

“Oh, good. I feel like I’m sobering up.”

“You do all sorts of things.”

I asked, rubbing my throbbing temples.

“How did you know I was here?”

“There’s nothing on this street I don’t know.”

“You got the report? You managed to recognize me even though I was wearing a hood.”

“I would have recognized Nadia, not you.”

The report must have reached Kjer the moment we entered 71st Street.

That's why I intentionally revealed Nadia's face. Because Kjer had to show up at the right time.

He stared at me for a while and then opened his mouth.

"You have a headache.”

“It’s a little dizzy but bearable.”

“This is not a place for little kids to come and play. Play somewhere safe.”

“Brother, I’m twenty years old.”

“You’re two years old, judging by what you’re doing today. How did you know about selling ‘dreams’ here?”

“I heard there’s a rumor going around that you can get some fantastic drinks on 71st Street?”

“What a headache.”

“I like it. I’ll come here often for a drink.”

Kjer folded his arms and looked at me intently.

“Youngest.”

"Yes?"

“Why are you doing something you’ve never done before?”

“...”

"What's the matter?"

As expected, my older brother is very quick-witted. I let out a deep sigh.

“In a few days, the Imperial Investigation Team will conduct a trap investigation. That’s when the ‘dream’ will be discovered.”

Kjer's expression became quite serious.

“...Have you seen the future?”

"Yes."

“I guess I should clean it up in advance.”

“When did you not do it? And yet, look. Even an ordinary person like me bought a ‘dream’ so easily. If you do as you have been doing, you cannot avoid the entrapment investigation.”

“...”

“You can’t just confiscate alcohol. If you have the ingredients, you can make it. Find the secret place where the raw ingredients are grown.”

In My previous life, Kjer had also been a vigorous crackdown on the trade of contraband on 71st Street.

However, the 'dream' could not be completely eradicated. This was because the secret place where the raw materials were grown could not be found.

In the end, Kjer could not avoid the imperial investigation team's entrapment investigation.

The one who manipulated the investigation team from behind the scenes was Third Prince Oslo. To sneak me out of the house.

In fact, I was locked up after collapsing while on a hunger strike, but I was able to escape the house while my father and Kjer were distracted by the investigation.

This was the 'good idea' that Oslo had mentioned briefly during the day.

Kjer wiped his eyes with a tired look.

“You could have just told me about that. Why did you come all the way here and say something like that?”

“Then, my brother will grit his teeth and search for it. Both the consumer and the seller of prohibited items are punished. If you don’t want to see me go to jail, work hard.”

“...”

Kjer looked at me with a dumbfounded expression, then chuckled and lightly flicked the tip of my nose.

“I have to work hard so that my little sister doesn’t get hurt.”

“By the way, don’t burn the raw materials and bring them home. You have to scrape them all up without leaving anything behind.”

“The principle is to dispose of prohibited items immediately.”

“I know. I need it.”

"I get it."

“Is this the end? Aren’t you going to ask any more questions?”

“You said it was necessary.”

“What if I do something bad with it?”

“Why are you getting your hands dirty when I’m here?”

“...”

Kjer, who was originally as muscular as Chevio, transformed into a lean and trim body after taking over 71st Street.

It was the result of giving up on the knighthood that had been his dream.

When I was young, I resented my father for leaving 71st Street to Kjer.

But then again, I think it was Kjer who gave up on his dream first.

To fulfill Chevio's dream of becoming the Emperor's first knight.

“Your Grace, the list is ready.”

When he heard Jason's voice outside, Kjer sighed softly and patted my cheek.

“Don’t do anything dangerous.”

“No. I don’t intend to do that.”

“Don’t meet anyone dangerous. All men are wolves.”

“Wow, that’s cliche.”

“I’ll give you a carriage, so stop playing and go inside.”

As soon as he got out of the carriage, Nadia got on.

Nadia's eyes, filled with resentment, shot into my face.

I rolled my eyes here and there and laughed bashfully.

“I was surprised.”

“Are you surprised? Are you surprised? Because of you, my life was shortened by ten years! How are you going to take responsibility for this! Yes?”

“No way. You live long.”

“...Really? Did you see my future?”

“I know without even looking.”

Because I will make it so.

***

A search for prohibited items swept 71st Street.

The quantity of 'dreams' confiscated from the merchants was not that large, but the amount of the raw material, montpain, was enormous.

Because there was no place to store it, the two family warehouses were completely emptied and used.

I stood at the bedroom window and looked out over the front yard.

Montpain, in a sack, was being carried on a cart to the warehouse.

“There are so many of them, it’s really disgusting. How can they keep coming out even after a week?”

"Thank God."

"Yes?"

“It’s good because there are many.”

“What are you talking about... But I don’t understand why His Grace is leaving it alone. Burn it quickly.”

“No, that would be a big problem.”

“...Miss, are you talking to me right now?”

"Yes."

“But why do I feel like I’m playing alone?”

Nadia tilted her head and handed me the tea.

“Oh, have you heard that rumor?”

"Rumor?"

“The Duchy of Eldern is in dire straits right now because of an epidemic. I heard they finally created a cure.”

“Oh, that’s good.”

“The problem is that the cure contains some special herbs that are hard to find. The Duke himself came to the capital to get them.”

“So he saved them?”

“I don’t know about that. Should we find out?”

“We’ll find out anyway. It’s okay.”

“The person who possesses that herb will have their fate changed. They will even become Eldern’s benefactor.”

The First House of the Empire, Eldern.

The Eldern family was a loyal and upright family that protected the Emperor and was respected and admired by knights.

Nadia cut herself off and looked at me with narrowed eyes.

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

“The guest you are meeting now is the Duke of Eldern.”

“I know. I saw him coming into our house this morning with the knights of Eldern.”

“That’s just a distant view. We’re missing the most important part now.”

“What is that?”

“The Little Duke’s appearance, height, and body.”

“...”

“He’s so damn handsome. It’s just breathtaking. He’s obviously tall, and his body is amazing. His rear end is especially amazing... Cool. Aren’t you curious, Miss?”

“It seems like you’re using me to satisfy your curiosity.”

“...I admit it. I was dying of curiosity all morning. So let’s just meet up once, okay?”

At that moment, a maid came in with a knock.

“Miss, the Marquis is calling.”



Previous                    Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments