ICTFF - Chapter 6




Be more desperate than anyone else to get a chance (6)

He was dumbfounded as if he couldn't believe it, and then he touched his cheek. Just then, blood flowed out of his high nose.

"Nosebleed?!"

He jumped up from his seat.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know you were this close. Are you hurt?”

"This...!"

He, who had been grumbling as if he was going to hit me at any moment, caught his breath. Soon, he took out a handkerchief and covered his nose with it.

“Whew, whoosh..."

He finally regained his composure and grabbed my hand.

“You’re acting strange today. Did something bad happen?”

“I have something to tell you.”

“Yes, go ahead and tell me.”

“I wish we could break up.”

“...Break up? Are you talking to me now?”

"Yes."

“Why all of a sudden? Why are we breaking up? What’s the reason? There must be a reason!”

“Isn’t it obvious why men and women break up? I don’t love you anymore.”

“Lies! I know how much you love me!”

He started shouting wildly and pacing around the living room like a madman.

“Is it because of Marquis Astrod? Or are your brothers threatening you? They said they’d harm you if you didn’t break up with me? What on earth did you hear that made you do this!”

“It is my decision. I tell you again, I no longer love you, Your Highness-.”

"No!!!"

He grabbed my shoulder hard, shouting so loud it echoed throughout the living room.

“You had no choice but to break up for my sake, didn’t you? Otherwise, how could you break up with me! You’re the kind of person who would rather die than live without me!”

“Stop imagining-.”

“I’ll take care of it. I’ll get you out of this house, so don’t think about anything else and just wait. Even though I’m a powerless third Prince, I have the power to save one person I love.”

Oslo, who declared rescue with a voice full of mission, left the reception room.

“Are you crazy?”

No, why are you denying it when I say I've lost interest?

Above all, I didn't know he could endure the humiliation of being slapped in the face. I don't think he's ever been hit in his life, not even for fun.

It seems he can do anything to become Emperor.

At that moment, Nadia, who had been waiting outside, came in with a bewildered look on her face.

“What, what is it? His Highness has a nosebleed... Huh! What’s wrong with your hand, Miss? It’s so red!”

“I caught a bug.”

“A bug? Did you kill it?”

“No, I hit it with all my might but it didn’t die.”

“You shouldn’t touch that kind of thing. You might get sick. I’ll catch it and get rid of it.”

“No. I’ll kill him myself.”

I stood up and wiped my hands with a handkerchief.

“Let’s go out and play tonight. Get ready.”

***

71st Street, the busiest area in the capital, was different during the day and at night.

During the day, ordinary shops opened their doors, and at night, shops selling all kinds of entertainment, pleasure, and fantasy tempted people.

That's why the noble ladies didn't set foot on 71st Street after the sun went down.

If I needed anything, I would send the maid secretly, and I would never go on my own, even if it was by mistake.

Because if you step in out of curiosity and something bad happens, it's problematic.

I have never been there myself, but I know a lot about this area.

Because the entire 71st Street was the dowry of my mother, the only daughter of the richest man in the empire.

Nadia, who was looking around with a very wary face, whispered softly.

“When you asked me to come over, I thought back to the old days and really liked it. But why here? This isn’t a place a noble lady would come to!”

“Of all the people in this area, I’m the safest?”

71st Street has been managed by Kjer Astrod, the eldest brother, since his mother passed away.

Kjer was a typical dark chieftain. Cold-blooded, cruel, merciless, and weak only to me.

So, no one could touch me here unless they wanted to die.

“What are you talking about? Who said it was dangerous? I say it’s because I'm afraid of rumors spreading.”

“My reputation has already fallen since I met the Third Prince. Even if everyone pretends not to know me in front of me, I know they’re badmouthing me behind my back.”

“Ah, no, why are you saying that again...”

“Who would recognize me with my hood up like this? Don’t worry.”

Nadia's spirits were dampened as she shook the hood of the cloak she had pulled over her head.

“What are you going to do?”

“Let’s have a drink.”

“Alcohol? How many expensive alcohols do you have at home? Why are you drinking alcohol here? You’ve never tried it before.”

“I drink alcohol well. I have severe insomnia, so I drink one glass at a time, and my tolerance increases.”

“Did you have a dream? You’ve never even had a drop of alcohol in your mouth, so what are you talking about?”

“I’ll just have one drink. Promise.”

When I smiled and held out my pinky, Nadia sighed and hooked her fingers.

“It’s okay there. Let’s go in.”

“That old, shabby, dirty bar? Oh, out, out. I’ll choose for you, so hold still...Gasp! Miss!”

As soon as I entered the bar, people's eyes immediately turned towards me.

“Miss, just get out. It’s so dirty in here.”

"Shhh."

I took a seat on the innermost sofa, holding Nadia's hand as she pulled at my dress.

“Go to the bartender and ask for a glass of ‘Dream.’ If he doesn’t have any, hand him this.”

As I said that, I handed her a small pouch. Nadia tilted her head and turned to the bartender.

She came back with a very upset expression after talking to the bartender for a while, holding a glass the size of her finger.

“No, what the hell is this?”

"Why?"

“At first, he denied it and said there was no such thing, but when I gave him the bag, his attitude changed. From then on, he started asking me things like, ‘Do you know what this is? Have you tried it? Don’t tell anyone.’ He kept talking so much that I almost threw him away.”

Nadia sat down in front of me, grumbling.

“The pouch you gave me was full of gold coins. What kind of alcohol is so expensive?”

“It’s a drink that lets you see what you want to see. It’s said that in the old days, shamans drank it before performing rituals.”

As someone who used to make a lot of prophecies, at some point, I started to lose my ability to see the future.

At that time, Oslo brought me a ‘dream’.

Of course, to a normal person, it would just be an illusion, but for me, it was quite effective.

I relied on 'dreams' to see the future, and later became so addicted that I had to drink regardless of the prophecies.

“Is there such a drink? Why is this the first time I’ve heard of it?”

“It’s banned from sale. It’s addictive.”

“Yes?!”

Nadia opened her blue eyes wide and reached out her hand urgently.

Before that hand could snatch the glass away, I poured the gleaming, deep green liquid into my mouth in one gulp.

The hot air went down my esophagus. My body sank and my eyes closed.

"Ah..."

My head jerked back. Someone quickly grabbed me.

“Ah...! Here...!”

The surrounding voices were muffled as if I was underwater.

I feel strange.

Nadia's shaking of me felt dull, but the movement of her fluttering eyelashes was conveyed in detail.

The ceiling spun around. Numerous stars spun around quickly, leaving trails of stars, and forming concentric circles.

In the middle of it all, a faceless man appeared. He was my benefactor who had made a wish that could not be granted.

He has a large bone structure and a solid physique. I could feel his muscles bulging out from his entire body as he hugged me. A faint fragrance wafted from his arms.

A heavy soapy smell.

Soon, a calloused hand grabbed my hand. The fingers, with their bulging joints, began to write on my palm, one letter at a time.

Please don't die

The benefactor's appearance changed into that of a boy.

His height and size have shrunk somewhat. Should I say he looks slimmer? It feels like his muscle mass has been compressed.

The kid's scent wafts in through the window.

The boy who sneaked into someone else's bedroom like a burglar tapped my fingertips twice. It was his unique way of greeting.

Instead of greeting, I frowned.

“You smell blood. Are you hurt?”

“...a little bit of the back.”

“Take it off. I’ll treat you.”

"It's okay."

“Are you embarrassed? Don’t worry. Even if you take off your pants, I won’t be able to see you.”

“...”

“Take it off quickly. The smell of blood makes me shiver.”

I heard the sound of clothes being taken off, and then the sound of footsteps getting closer. I felt hot skin against my fingertips.

“If your fever is this high, you should have stayed home and rested.”

“I couldn’t come last month either.”

Finding a refund wasn't that difficult.

I removed the gauze that had been carelessly placed around hia shoulder and cleaned the area around it.

After that, I applied ointment widely, but the shape of the wound was strange.

It doesn't look like a tattoo, how can someone get hurt like this?

I slowly felt over it.

The shape is unique. It looks like five ovals coming together in a circle...

“Like a flower.”

"OMG!"

All illusions disappeared at once. The feeling of floating disappeared and my body sank.

As my mind gradually became clearer, one realization struck me.

The boy is the benefactor.

Suddenly, the surroundings felt very quiet.

I opened my eyes slightly and saw the guests frozen in fear.

Let's turn our heads to follow their gaze.

"You..."

My older brother, Kjer, was looking down at me with cold eyes.



Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments