ICTFF - Chapter 4



Be more desperate than anyone else to get a chance (4)


Even though it was early summer, the sun was strong. If it weren't for the cool breeze, it would have been quite hot.

The garden I saw after five years was much more beautiful than I remembered.

A landscape tree swaying in the wind. White rose petals fluttering in the wind in clusters beneath it.

I was mesmerized by the sight. Even though my eyes were blocked by the lace, I was overwhelmed by the liveliness of nature.

“Miss, you're going to burn your face. Please come inside the umbrella.”

“It’s warm and nice, so why.”

“Oh my, really...”

As I walked a few steps, holding the cane that I no longer needed, a fragrant breeze blew in from the other side of the garden.

The Astrod Mansion was famous for its beautiful central garden.

As I walked around the maze-like garden, I often saw unique trees and flowers.

It was thanks to my mother who was very interested in gardening.

As I looked at the garden, a faint memory from long ago came back to me.

My mother, who sits next to me as a child, plants flowers herself.

My father, who doesn't know how shows up while he's working and starts nagging my mother.

My brothers ran towards me, calling my name.

The sound of laughter, the fragrant smell of flowers.

I wish I could go back to that time.

“The gardeners planted a lot of white roses this summer too. Can you smell their fragrance?”

"Yes."

“Shall I pick it for you?”

"It's okay."

White roses were my mother's favorite flower.

In the past, whenever I missed my mother, I would pick white roses and decorate my bedroom, but now there was no reason to do that. When I missed her, I could just go out to the garden.

“Miss... Are you feeling okay?”

"Yes?"

“You had an argument with Lady Sierra, right?”

"Ah."

I had completely forgotten about it, Nadia continued cautiously.

“Shall I send a letter?”

"Why?"

“Well..."

In the past, if Sierra encountered something she didn't like, she would suddenly throw a tantrum and hang up.

In those situations, I was always the one to bend and step in first.

When I sent a heartfelt letter of apology and a gift through Nadia, Sierra enjoyed watching me be so desperate, and then pretended not to be able to win and came back.

I don't know why people called Sierra a maid. No matter how I look at it, I think the maid was me.

“Nadia, why didn’t you tell me?”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

“Sierra was being rude to you. Why did you just stay still?”

“Hey, why are you telling me all these things? And am I the kind of person who would just sit back and let it happen?”

“How did you do it?”

“I filled the teapot with tea leaves. It must have been very bitter.”

"Ha ha ha."

“I’m that kind of person. I can’t live with just being taken advantage of.”

“I think I heard something from Sierra.”

“Huh, whatever. It wasn’t even you, young lady. Why should I listen to her?”

“Don’t do that. Just tell me.”

“If I do that, you will distance yourself from me. What will I do then?”

It was because of me.

I relied only on Sierra and didn't really take care of Nadia.

“I know you must have felt bad every time Sierra visited. I apologize on her behalf.”

“No, no! Don’t apologize! I told you I was really fine.”

“You don’t have to do that for me.”

“No, but when you were with Lady Sierra, you smiled a little. Even when you were upset, seeing that made me feel better.”

As she said that, Nadia smiled. Her freckled cheeks puffed out cutely.

“But I wish you would stop lending her money. What’s the point of getting a loan every time? You have no intention of getting it back.”

Over the years, Sierra has borrowed money from me many times, and I have never once refused her.

Because money is the most meaningless thing I have.

“But how did you know?”

“Is Sierra messing with you?”

“Yes, she spoke very gently, for fear that the young lady would find out. Of course, her actions were completely different.”

“I saw it.”

"Yes?"

I stopped walking and untied the knot of the lace. It was the first time since I was chosen as the 'first walker' that I had taken off the blindfold with my own hands.

Nadia looked at the lace falling down with round eyes.

“What’s wrong? Where are you uncomfortable?”

“Look at me.”

“Where? Are your eyes sore?"

The moment our eyes met, Nadia swallowed her words.

She, who had been staring blankly into my eyes, suddenly bit her lip. Her bright blue eyes, which I hadn't seen since I was sixteen, trembled slightly.

“Hey, can you see me?”

"Yes."

“Can you really, really see me?”

“I was surprised because it was bigger than I thought. Why are there so many freckles on the bridge of your nose?”

“Oh my god, Miss!”

She hugged me with a gasp, her shoulders soaked with tears.

I had to act as a prophet in the future, but there was a limit to what I could do on my own.

In that case, it would be advantageous to share the secret with the person closest to you.

In that sense, Nadia was the best assistant.

Not only is she with me all day, but she's also smart enough to naturally cover up when I make a mistake.

She is one of the few people who will keep my secret even if the world falls apart.

Nadia, who had been burying her face in my shoulder and crying, suddenly raised her head.

“Huh! What should I do?”

"What?"

“Because of me, the young lady’s dress got wet...”

“Ha, is that the problem now?”

“Of course. Even if I wash my tears, they leave marks.”

Laughter erupted. I laughed for a while, shaking my body, and then grabbed Nadia's hand.

“Aren’t you curious about what happened?”

“I don’t care. If God needs someone to ‘first walker,’ He will send one down. You can rest now, young lady.”

“Actually, I don’t even know if I am the ‘first walker’.”

“You regained your sight. Does that mean you’re not a Guardian?”

“I lost my power, but I know the future.”

“...What does that mean?”

Nadia put her hand to her forehead. Confusion was clearly written on her pale face.

“Oh my, I guess I’m just so ignorant that I just can’t understand. Anyway, there must be a reason why you’re telling me this, Miss.”

“Yes, I need your help.”

“Then I’ll stop thinking complicatedly and just follow what you say. What should I do?”

The plan is simple.

First, we cut out Sierra and the Third Prince, and ultimately change the future in which the Third Prince ascends to the throne.

Of course, I could have Sierra and the Third Prince by my side and use them, but I didn't want to allow them even the slightest luck that they would gain by doing so.

Separately from this, it was necessary to find the benefactor and repay the favor. Perhaps it was as important as changing the future.

“There is something I must do. To do that, people must think of me as a prophet.”

“So you mean you’re going to pretend not to see me from now on? Okay, I get it.”

“The problem is that I’m not used to it so I’m afraid I’ll make mistakes. You watch me.”

“That’s not difficult. Will you keep it a secret from the Marquis?”

“I’ll tell him later after I see what happens.”

“It’s a shame. Our Marquis would really like it.”

“That’s not true. My father must have been so happy when I was chosen as the ‘first walker.’ He even threw a party I didn’t even like.”

Nadia sighed deeply.

“At that time, the Marquis couldn’t sleep and was worried. He became more and more emaciated by the day, so the young masters were very worried.”

“...I didn’t know.”

“Of course, you didn’t know. The Marquis ordered me not to open my mouth in front of the young lady.”

Even if I had heard that, it wouldn't have made a difference. Everyone would have misunderstood and thought I was being deceived.

“Is my father in his office now?”

“Shall we meet?”

"Yes."

Nadia's expression brightened.

I guess I was feeling anxious after spending the past week in my bedroom trying to come to terms with this dreamlike situation and making plans.

“Good idea! I’ll tie the lace for you.”

The previously clear, unobstructed view was obstructed.

Nadia suddenly poked her face through the beautifully woven patterns.

“Aren’t you feeling stuffy? Should I change it to something a little more lacey?”

“Then someone might notice. Don’t worry, it won’t be stuffy.”

Compared to the times when there was only darkness, this wasn't even that stifling.

In fact, it's so clear that it's easier to cover it up a bit.

I held Nadia's arm and walked slowly.

Nadia, who was looking closely at my appearance, whispered softly.

“You are using a cane-like crutches right now. It might not seem obvious to someone who just saw you, but anyone who knows you well might think it’s strange.”

“I have to be careful.”

As I looked ahead, I kept forgetting how to use the cane. I walked, sweeping the floor in a circular motion with the end of the cane.

“A long time ago. Do you remember when my father brought me here and trained me?”

When I lost my eyesight overnight.

My father forcibly dragged me out of the bedroom where I was staying and pushed me into the garden.

“Oh, how could I forget that? He was the one who pushed the young lady to learn how to walk on her own.”

“I hated my father so much back then. How could I get out of the maze when I couldn’t even see ahead?”

Of course, there was a line leading to the exit.

But what if I fall? What happens to me if I miss the rope?

My legs wouldn't move as I imagined myself crawling like a bug.

“You eventually got out of there. Without any help from anyone.”

“You helped me.”

“Me?”

“I was shivering and unable to do anything when I heard footsteps behind me. When I realized that I was not alone, my fear disappeared. That’s why I was able to walk.”

“That’s not me?”

“Then are you guys older brothers?”

“No way. The Marquis threatened us not to help at all. The young masters and I just stood outside the garden, stamping our feet.”

“That can’t be... I clearly heard someone following me.”

The sound of footsteps skimming the floor. I remember thinking it was unusual.

Thud, thud, thud, thud. 

That's the sound.

“What are you doing here?”

"...Father?"



Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments