ICTFF - Chapter 3




Be more desperate than anyone else to get a chance (3)


The more isolated I became, the more I relied on Sierra. Eventually, I even became anxious that she would leave me too.

I believed everything she said. Sometimes, it didn't make sense, but I didn't doubt it.

Because she's the only friend who stayed by my side until the end, even when everyone else was so annoying.

So I didn't even suspect it until Sierra came to see me in prison.

That everything was a lie.

“I pretended to be friendly with you for Your Majesty’s sake, but honestly, I didn’t like you from the beginning. You act pitiful and make a fool of yourself as if being blind is some great misfortune. When you have everything.”

The sound of high heels clicking, the smell of perfume vibrating inside the prison, a voice revealing laughter.

It all felt vivid like it happened yesterday.

“Sierra, how long have we known each other?”

“Has it been more than 4 years?”

Sierra is a daughter of the Count's family, and we used to just greet each other, but at some point we suddenly became close.

To be exact, right after I was chosen as the 'first walker'.

Did he conspire with the Third Prince to approach me from then on?

“Were you acquainted with His Highness the Third Prince before?”

“What are you talking about? You were the one who introduced me to him.”

“Are you saying that you had no special relationship with His Highness?”

“...Is that Nadia? She and I seem close?”

"No."

“I’ve been meaning to tell you this for a while now, but you need to stay away from Nadia. She’s the one who’s causing trouble between us.”

“What does Nadia gain by causing trouble between you and me?”

“She’s trying to isolate you. She’s trying to make you dependent on her. Then she can manipulate you as she pleases.”

Is this a self-introduction?

“Anyway, I’ve never exchanged more than three words with His Highness. You know that. He doesn’t even look at any other woman but you. He's going to die for you.”

 The words that followed were filled with a mockery I’d never felt before.

I understand. It's funny how I think someone else's lover is my lover.

“But how did you know?”

"What?"

“The kid I met when I was sixteen. He was called the Third Prince.”

“...”

When I was chosen as the 'first walker', my father threw a grand party.

All kinds of people came and went into the mansion.

Wherever they went, there was endless laughter. They toasted the appearance of a prophet who had appeared after 300 years.

When I lost my eyesight overnight, I felt like the sky was falling down.

There was someone who comforted me when I was just locked in my bedroom and cursing God.

A boy who entered the bedroom without permission.

Even after that, he would appear whenever I forgot him, and he was also arbitrary when he left.

When I realized that he wasn't coming anymore, at first I was worried, then I was angry, and finally I wanted to find him.

But there was no way.

Not only could I not reveal that I had secretly brought a man into my bedroom for over a year, but I didn't even know his name. I wasn't even sure if he was a boy. She could only guess his age from his voice.

After struggling alone for a year without telling anyone, I finally confessed my secret to Sierra.

“That guy has a scar on his back? How did you know that? You...”

“Don’t think strangely. I found out while treating the wound.”

“How can you treat someone when you can’t even see ahead?”

“My hands are fine.”

“Hmm... Oh, that’s right! I think I heard something similar from His Highness the Third Prince once. Yes, he definitely said there was a scar on his back.”


Just after I confessed my secret to Sierra, the Third Prince came to the mansion as if the timing was right.

“I thought you wouldn’t find me. I didn’t even tell you my name.”

The voice was definitely different, but at the time I thought it was an illusion.

In fact, I couldn't hear the boy's voice properly because we were talking almost in a whisper, and above all, I thought there was no reason for Sierra to deceive me.

I opened my heart to the Third Prince so easily. It was such a stupid choice, it's hard to believe I was only eighteen at the time.

If all of this was the Third Prince's scheme to seduce me, the prophet, through Sierra, then it was a complete success.

'If I hadn't come back from the dead... Huh?'

For a moment, a possibility crossed my mind.

Could it be that the boy is the benefactor who came all the way to the land of death?

'I don't know.'

There were almost four years between the two of us meeting. It was difficult to be sure that they were the same person.

“Millenia, can’t you hear me?”

"What?"

“What did I say then!”

“His Highness the Third Prince has a scar on his back.”

“Oh, that? What did I say? I didn’t hear it directly from him, I just heard it through rumors.”

“Is it true that there was a rumor going around that he had a fish-shaped scar from a back injury?”

“That’s right. Otherwise, how would I have known, having never met him before?”

The scar on the boy's back was not fish-shaped.

You approached me from the beginning for the sake of the Third Prince.

Sierra noticed me and slyly changed the subject.

“Millenia, let’s continue what we were talking about.”

"Talk?"

“Ibida, by the way. When are you going to meet her?”

"Well."

“Ha, you always do that. It’s a bad habit to procrastinate and leave things you need to do. Don’t waste time and get it done quickly.”

“I’m thinking about meeting her later when you’re not around.”

“What are you talking about? You’re meeting her when I’m not around?”

“You and Ibida aren’t on good terms.”

“So what does that matter? You’re just scolding her instead. Of course, you should kneel in front of her.”

“She is the daughter of the Count. She has a higher position than you, so if she is uncomfortable, it is right for you to step aside.”

"What?"

“And the reason I want to meet her is not for you. Even if it were my father, I wouldn’t be able to make the daughter of a nobleman kneel down for something like that.”

“That’s all. Why are you saying that? Have you forgotten what I sacrificed for you?”

I stared at Sierra with an expressionless face.

“No, I don’t know, so you tell me. What did you sacrifice for me?”

“Do you know how picky you are? You’re sensitive to smells, sounds, everything. Who’s the one who’s going to accommodate that? Isn’t it me? I even endured it while being called your maid... How could you do this to me?”

Sierra's voice began to tremble.

It's a shame, if it weren't for that sinister expression on your face, I would have thought you were holding back tears.

“Thank you for trying to please me. You can stop now.”

“...What are you talking about? Are you saying you’re going to break up our relationship?”

"Yes."

“Millenia!”

“It is impolite to raise your voice in someone else’s mansion. As a Countess, you should know this much.”

Sierra bit her lower lip.

A voice trying to appear calm came out from her trembling lips.

“Are you sure you’re okay? If I leave now, I won’t come even if you beg me?”

I used to tremble at those words. I was afraid that she would really not come, that she would not meet me again, so I held on to her.

But not anymore. That idiot burned to death in the Land of the Dead.

But even in hell, they wouldn't accept me. So I came back.

I imagined what kind of expression she would make if I told her that. I burst out laughing. It was so funny I couldn't hold it in.

“Hahahaha!”

“Hey, are you crazy? Why are you laughing all of a sudden?”

“Hahaha, ahahahaha!”

“Stop laughing!”

Oh, I feel like my stomach is going to burst. I wiped away the tears that were welling up in my eyes.

“We’re not kids, and we’re already twenty years old, so how can we be hanging on to our friends? Don’t worry, you can go.”

“...Okay, I’ll see how long you can last without me.”

Sierra turned and crossed the bedroom, throwing her last words at the back that stood upright like her pride.

“Sierra.”

“Why? Are you trying to apologize now?”

“To be honest, the Third Prince said he was uncomfortable. He said he didn’t understand why you always come between us. So don’t blame me too much.”

“Your Highness said so?”

"Yes."

“...”

Bang!

The door slammed shut as if it was going to break.

I laughed quietly as I heard the sound of high heels quickly receding.

Okay, go quickly and tell your lover.


Previous                Next


Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments