ICTFF - Chapter 11



I came to find flowers (4)

In the future I know, Montpain will be destroyed by fire.

At that time, those most suspected of being the culprits of the fire were the imperial investigation team.

This is because the warehouse where Montpain was stored was a special warehouse that only the investigation team was allowed access to.

However, they only had suspicions and were unable to track down the culprit. This was due to interference from the Third Prince, Oslo.

So they must have dared to set fire to the imperial building because they knew Oslo would protect them.

Fortunately, the future changed, but I couldn't relax.

Oslo will do whatever it takes to prevent Montpain, the raw material for the cure for the plague, from reaching Eldern.

So the investigation team came to our house to check the quantity of Montpain.

Hiding oil in their luggage.

'Let's check Ian's scar later.'

I covered my mouth with the juice glass and whispered softly.

“Nadia, did you notice?”

“I asked the maid in charge, and she said he’s not moving at all from the bedroom.”

The name of the one who was banished from the banquet is Jonathan Miller. He is the leader of the Imperial 4th Investigation Squadron.

“Are you sure he wants to do it tonight? I thought he was supposed to come back tomorrow.”

“All the knights are here for dinner. There’s no better opportunity than this.”

“Then why does he stay still?”

“I guess he’ll just wait for the dinner to ripen.”

Because if people get drunk they won't be able to respond quickly when a fire breaks out.

I put down my glass of water and looked toward the investigation team table.

While everyone else was busy laughing and talking, those four were the only ones who were quiet. I think I could feel the tense tension even here.

They wouldn't leave until the dinner was over so that their alibi would be solid.

'If I want to capture the scene, I must not act rashly.'

We must move quietly with as few people as possible.

I looked back at the table I was sitting at. My father, Kjer, Chevio, and Ian.

Among them, is there anyone who can leave the room with me without being suspected?

“Nadia, remember what I said? It starts when I leave the banquet hall.”

“What if he moves before I’m ready?”

“He’ll hide if he hears any noise. So tell the other maid to pace back and forth in front of his bedroom until the work is done.”

“Oh, so there was a way like that. I see.”

“When you’re ready, don’t forget to come to the maze entrance.”

“Don't worry.”

I told Nadia what to do and then told Ian.

“Your Excellency, if it’s okay with you, would you like to take a walk with me for a while?”

“...”

As soon as I finished speaking, the surroundings became quiet, and the three men's gazes were fixed on Ian.

I don't know why they're looking at Ian and not me. I thought to myself as I continued.

“The weather is too nice to just drink.”

"...Yes."

Ian stood up and held out his arms.

Then, he finds me standing still and, with a slightly embarrassed look on his face, he carefully grabs my hand.

As expected of a knight, his rough and hard hand wrapped around mine. I was a little surprised, as I expected him to link arms, but I didn't show it.

“Follow her, kid.”

Ian remained calm even in response to Chevio's words that seemed to be chewing and spitting. He simply shrugged his shoulders and gently pulled my hand towards him.

“Let’s go.”

As I walk along Ian, the back of my head starts to tickle.

Even without looking, I could feel the three men staring at us intently.

Ian and I entered the maze area of ​​the central garden.

Whoosh, the trees swayed in the summer breeze. The fragrant scent of the trees made me feel at ease.

Is it because I am already convinced that he is my benefactor?

This was the first time I had held hands with a man who wasn't my family, aside from Oslo. It was when I was nervous and wiped my dry lips.

Ian opened the uniform jacket I was wearing with a nonchalant hand.

“...”

This man had a habit of doing things without hesitation that other men would have had to ask permission for.

It wasn't unpleasant though. It was so casual that it was almost strange.

“Can I ask what kind of conversation you enjoyed with my older brother?”

“He said we should spar before returning.”

Chevio and Ian were rivals among their peers. To be honest, Chevio was the only one who thought that way, but anyway.

Since the two were rivals, they often sparred, but it seemed like, in the end, Chevio lost after a back-and-forth battle.

In the meantime, Ian returned to Eldern after becoming the successor to the Duke's family, so the fierce Chevio could not stand it.

Chevio had been gritting his teeth and holding on all this time, but his chance to get revenge finally came.

“I guess I’ll have to comfort my older brother soon.”

“Do you think I will win?”

“Your Highness, I can barely hear the sound of your footsteps.”

Ian stopped walking. Feeling his gaze on my cheek, I continued.

“My older brother said that earlier. You must have missed a lot of training because the Duke was taking lessons to become a successor.”

“He said that.”

“But I’m sure the little Duke trained hard. If your skills are similar, the one who lets your guard down will lose.”

I laughed when I thought of Chevio later feeling wronged and being tricked. Ian stared at me as I covered my mouth and laughed.

“Are you judging that just from the sound of my footsteps?”

“Your hand too.”

"Hand?"

I slightly lifted the hand I was holding.

“This is not a hand that has neglected training.”

Ian narrowed his eyes as if he hadn't thought about it before and snickered. His beautifully curved lips caught everyone's attention.

“You have very sensitive senses.”

“When you can’t see, you have to rely on other senses. Your body has changed to survive.”

“...The ‘Savior’ may be able to restore your eyesight.”

The unexpected answer caused laughter.

“I’ve never heard of that before. Hmm, it’s interesting.”

“Isn’t that a possibility?”

“Vision is the price of the ‘first to walk.’”

'He who walks first' cannot see the present, 'He who protects' cannot achieve love, and 'He who saves' cannot heal the person who is most precious to him.

This was the price the Guardians had to pay and the law given by God.

“The price is absolute. If it can be replaced, it is no longer a price.”

“If it can be replaced, it is not worth the price...”

Ian changed the subject as he reflected on what I had said.

“I hope Young Lady will tell Crevio what you found out. It’s annoying if he whines about how I lied to him and wants to do it again after losing.”

Even though his speech was rough, I could feel his affection.

“You are really close with my older brother.”

“I guess it’s because we’ve been taking classes together for a long time.”

“How long have you been in the capital?”

“I returned to the territory at the age of twenty.”

It was roughly the same time the boy stopped walking.

“If you came to my house often, you would have seen it too.”

“Yes. When I first visited the mansion, the Young Lady told me...”

Ian shut his mouth without saying anything.

What happened to me? Could it be that this incident was proof that Ian was my benefactor? My heart swelled with anticipation.

“What have I done to you, my lord?”

"...No."

“I don’t think that’s the case. It’s okay, so go ahead and tell me.”

Ian turned his head with an embarrassed look.

Somehow his earlobes seem to have turned red too. I can't be sure because it's under moonlight.

It was clear that something had really happened to me, but Ian never opened his mouth. Unable to contain my impatience, I was about to ask again when Ian changed the subject.

“I’d like to get to the point. Why did you suggest that I go for a walk?”

I guess you really don't want to talk. Let's stop here for today. We can find another chance to find out. I answered, leaving my regrets behind.

“The Duke doesn’t seem to enjoy drinking. I wanted to take a walk. The weather was nice. Do I need another reason?”

“Young Lady is not the type of person to suggest a walk to a man who is not her lover at such a late hour.”

You're quick-witted. I was planning on getting to the main point since some time has passed anyway.

“Actually, there is something you need to do, Your Highness.”

“Go ahead.”

I explained the current situation to Ian.

Ian's face turned even colder when he heard that Montpain was in danger of disappearing.

“The investigation team is made up of His Highness the Third Prince’s people. As you know, our family doesn’t have a very good relationship with His Highness. So even if our family catches the culprit at the scene, the Third Prince will frame us.”

“So you chose me.”

“Since you are a young lord, you are in a relatively neutral position. You can give a reasonable explanation for why you were out near the warehouse while enjoying dinner.”

“Because what’s inside is as precious as my life.”

“Yes.”

“By any chance, His Highness the Third Prince...”

Ian stopped talking and shook his head.

“That seems like too personal a question. Forget it.”

Ian seemed to have noticed a rift between Oslo and me. He was a quick-witted man.

“I guess I just have to get a confession from the criminal.”

“They won’t reveal it easily.”

“Well, that seems easy. If I get the answer I want, then I can do whatever I want?”

“You can’t kill him.”

Ian frowned.

“Isn’t that okay?”

"Of course."

"Hmm."

I thought he was very gentlemanly and polite, but he was a knight. He is merciless to his enemies.

“By any chance...”

At that moment, a face that had been waiting suddenly appeared from behind the landscape tree with a rustling sound.

“It’s over!”

I finished speaking, extending my hand to Ian.

“Don’t even think about killing him by pretending it was a mistake.”

“...”

Did you really think that?

“Your Highness.”

"All right."

Ian answered.

Without even realizing that I was watching him pout with a pained expression.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments