ICTFF - Chapter 10


I came to find flowers (3)


While Nadia brought my share of food, my father took the napkin from the table in front of me and asked.

“You weren’t wearing a blindfold.”

“I thought it might look stuffy.”

“There’s no need to push yourself too hard because of what other people think. Do whatever you want.”

He spoke absentmindedly and laid a wide napkin on my lap.

Then, he adjusts the positions of the water glass and cutlery several times so that I can easily reach them.

“...”

How great it would be if I could proudly say that I had regained my sight. If I could, I would have said it over and over again.

Thank you, father.

As I was swallowing the words that were rising to the tip of my tongue, Nadia brought me food.

As always, it was food that was easy to eat and left the least amount of residue when spilled.

“On the left is a piece of steak, and on the right is a plate of vegetables without any sauce.”

"Thank you."

“I’ll cut the steak for you.”

"It's okay."

"Yes?"

I declined Nadia's help and pushed the plate toward my father.

“Please cut it.”

The table became quiet.

My father asked with wide eyes.

“...Are you talking to me?”

"Yes."

The bewildered father just blinked.

I also felt like my face was becoming accustomed to the tantrums I had never experienced in my life, but I held on stubbornly.

While my father and I remained silent, Kjer and Chevio grabbed the plates one after another.

“I'll do it.”

“Leave it to your brother.”

Kjer's cool gaze and Chevio's burning gaze clashed fiercely.

“Chevio, just eat. Don’t break the plate while cutting the food with those dull hands.”

“You should eat more, brother. Your muscle loss is so severe that I’m worried you might be sick.”

The Eldern knights who were eating nearby began to glance in this direction at the momentum the two were giving off.

It would be ridiculous to create such a bad atmosphere while having your younger sister in between you.

In the meantime, the only ones who were at peace were my family and Ian.

When I was young, my brothers would often fight over me, so it would be familiar to our knights and servants, but Ian was surprised.

His expression was calm, if not indifferent as if he had experienced it many times.

My father solemnly pulled the plate and sorted out the situation.

“Father, please do it.”

Peace returned to the table.

I watched Ian carefully while my father painstakingly carved the steak.

He gave me his uniform top, and he was wearing a thin shirt. His solid body stood out even more against the white cloth.

My gaze was drawn to the thick, long arms, the wrists with protruding bones, and the backs of the hands with bulging tendons.

I feel like I'm peeking at something I shouldn't be. I quickly lower my head, and then suddenly a smile appears on my face.

Since I can see, I can feel these feelings too.

“Now, eat.”

The steak my father cut for me was in pieces. Moreover, the pieces were almost the same size.

I almost burst out laughing, so I closed my eyes instead. And I slowly savored the piece of meat.

Is it because I now know that people won't laugh at me if I spill food or get it on my lips?

I didn't feel particularly anxious even though my eyes were closed.

I regret the time I spent not even eating with others because I was afraid of making mistakes.

I opened my eyes while laughing and I saw Ian and Chevio. Their bickering seemed quite close.

“Little brother, do you know the little Duke?”

“We took knight training together at the palace. It’s been years already. I’m sick of it.”

They were friendly.

Somehow, it seemed strange that not only Chevio but also my father and Kjer were treating the young Duke Ian comfortably.

“He came to our house quite often. He even attended mother’s funeral.”

I don't remember much of anything before I was ten because of the shock of my mother's death.

If Ian had known me since I was a child, then I could understand the boy's behavior when he came to me and comforted me when I was sixteen.

My heart started beating again. The possibility that Ian was my benefactor was growing stronger.

'I just need to check the scar on his back...'

Then Chevio stood up and asked.

“Should I bring you something to drink?”

Yeah, how about pretending to accidentally spill the drink? 

Ian is wearing a shirt right now, so if it gets wet, the scar might show through.

“I’ve been sitting for too long, so I feel like walking. Let’s go together.”

“Would you like that?”

I held Chevio's hand and headed to where the drinks were prepared.

Perhaps taking into account the characteristics of the attendees, the selection of juices was limited, but the selection of alcohol was enormous.

“There are apple, orange, strawberry, grapefruit juices, and what is that? Oh, it’s green grape juice. What do you want to drink?”

“Please give me green grapes.”

Chevio handed me a glass of green grape juice. It was clear, so if I spilled it on his shirt, I could see his skin clearly.

“Wait a minute. I know someone over there, brother. I’ll just say hello and come back.”

“Take it slow.”

How can I pour this out naturally? I was wondering when someone spoke to me.

“Lady Astrod.”

He was one of the imperial investigators. He had a slender face and thin lips, giving him a cunning look.

“He sent a letter.”

He finished his explanation with that and nodded confidently.

“It’s too noisy here, let’s go somewhere quiet.”

Did you think I would be embarrassed and follow along if you mentioned Oslo?

I was shocked by his behavior of not even introducing himself, let alone saying hello.

This may also be one of the reasons why the family was so resolutely opposed to Oslo.

If Oslo truly loved me, his entourage would not have acted like this.

'That's funny.'

Clearly, the person I was desperate for was Oslo, not this man who was carrying Oslo on his back and looking down on me.

Besides, I didn't even love Oslo anymore. So what does this guy believe in that he's so rude?

“Before asking for the other person’s time, reveal your identity first.”

“I told you I had his letter?”

“If that’s your introduction, then I have nothing more to say. Please go back.”

“If you do this, you will be in trouble later. I am a loyal subject whom he trusts very much.”

As the scuffle dragged on, people around us began to pay attention to us one by one.

It was only then that I realized something was strange.

Oslo has never contacted me in this way before. He is being very careful because he knows my family is strongly opposed to it.

But you're suddenly sending someone? And you're making public contact in the middle of a banquet hall?

It was a completely un-Oslo-like behavior.

“If you want to maintain that trust for a long time, you need to behave properly. Right now, you are insulting your superiors.”

When I raised my voice as a test, the corners of the man's mouth went up slightly.

Anyone else would have stepped down just to avoid making a big deal out of it.

'I'm trying to attract attention.'

At that moment of certainty, a peculiar smell came from the man.

What is that smell?

Before I could even think of an answer, the man grabbed my arm.

“Please don’t do that and have a conversation... Aah!”

It wasn't me who screamed, it was the man. Ian approached him silently and grabbed his wrist.

My body froze in surprise. Ian's chest was right in front of me.

The smell of soap made my heart pound. Before I knew it, my chest was pounding, and at that moment, Ian turned the man's hand behind his back.

With a crunch, the sound of bones breaking came out, and a shrill scream burst from the man's thin lips.

“Ahhh! My arm! My arm is going to break!”

“It’s not broken yet.”

Ian responded indifferently and pushed him away. The shabby man groaned for a while before suddenly standing up.

“You are using force against an official dispatched from the imperial court! Even for a young Duke, this is rude behavior!”

“Didn’t you start by being rude? You tried to drag Young Lady to a secluded place without warning.”

“What?! What did this kid do to my little sister?”

As Chevio appeared with a fierce demeanor, the cornered man waved his hand.

“Wh, what a misunderstanding! No! I just asked to talk to Yeong Lady!”

“Then you shouldn’t have touched her so carelessly.”

“That, that is...”

The man hesitated at Ian's calm question.

He has nothing to say. It was done on purpose.

Sharp gazes were directed at the man who had suddenly turned into a thief.

As the atmosphere grew increasingly tense, even my father and Kjer came closer.

“What the heck, this piece of shit.”

The man who remained silent despite Kjer's merciless evaluation was eventually banished from the banquet by my father's order.

Since it was impossible to kick out someone who had received the Emperor's order from the mansion, the measure was to only exclude him from the banquet.

I opened my eyes wide and watched the back of the man as he hurriedly left the garden.

Only then did I remember what the smell was coming from the man.

It was the smell of oil.


Previous            Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments