TCORIYH - Chapter 129


"Your Highness!"

Cheraan's voice hurriedly cut in through the silence that had been as heavy as a swamp. He was out of breath as if he had been running from somewhere.

“What’s wrong, Cheeran?”

“Your Highness, I, the interrogation... The interrogation is over. But, the person who interrogated them is the Prince.”

"What?"

Franz and Judith's eyes opened at the same time. The impatient Cheeran stamped her feet and urged Franz on.

“Your Highness, please go quickly. Her Highness still needs to rest, so His Majesty has given strict orders not to let her leave the Nation Palace until tomorrow.”

Franz hesitated for a moment while holding Judith's hand, then stood up. Then he gave her the back of her hand a long kiss and stared into her pale blue eyes from a distance so close that their foreheads almost touched.

“No matter what happens today, don’t come out. Understood?”

“But the declin...”

“Please, I beg you.”

The gaze that had been looking at him slowly lowered. Soon, Judith's head nodded up and down.

“Understood, Your Highness. I will do so.”

Franz smiled slightly with his lips and hurried out. Neos, who was waiting outside, bowed his head when he saw Franz and led him to where Rogero was.

“Rogero!”

In front of the entrance to the dark dungeon, Rogero was washing his face calmly. He put both hands into a shabby wooden bucket and repeatedly splashed water on their face, neck, and hair. Franz, who was about to put his hand on Rogero’s shoulder, saw that the area around his shoulder blade was completely soaked in blood.

“You, this is...!”

“Don’t worry, it’s not my blood.”

The voice was peaceful, but upon closer inspection, not only the area around the shoulder but also the sleeves that covered half of the forearm were all red. Some had already turned black, and some were soaked in water and were spreading red in an eerie way.

“What do you mean, you’re interrogating? Why would you do something like that?”

“I would have been the most qualified. They’re the ones who endure even after being beaten, so I can’t just wait for them to open their mouths. Oh, and give me a towel.”

As Rogero reached out, Franz unconsciously turned his head to check where the towel was. Rogero snatched the towel that the soldier standing next to him had handed him and wiped himself off, then wrinkled his nose and took a deep breath.

“What do you mean, you’re fit for questioning? I don’t understand what you’re saying. What have you done?”

“I need to eat something before I explain that. I’m going back hungry.”

Rogero, who had thrown a towel into the soldier's hand, had already started walking away before Franz could catch him. Franz, who was bewildered by the situation he couldn't understand and Rogero unusual attitude, heard the soldiers whispering softly.

“Did you see it? I couldn’t believe it.”

“My knees are completely... Oh my, that’s horrible.”

“His bones were exposed, but he wasn’t breathing. I’m afraid he’ll appear in my dreams.”

“How on earth can someone so young...”

Franz blinked as he stood. He couldn't immediately understand what the distant murmur meant. Just as he was about to call out to the soldiers, Neos lightly grabbed Franz's shoulder and stopped him.

“Your Highness, let me explain.”

Franz's expression as he looked back was now one of bewilderment rather than confusion.

“Do you know anything about Rogero?”

“It’s not that I know the Prince directly, but rather, it’s a story that my former superior told me. But, Your Highness, you really didn’t know anything about the Third Prince? That would be even more surprising to me.”

“I haven’t heard anything about him... Other than the fact that he’s a Prince since we first met at the Academy.”

Although he occasionally visited the Delaka palace at the Emperor's invitation, he doesn’t remember hearing anything special about Rogero at that time. The Emperor treated Rogero as a third son who was younger than his age but whom he cherished dearly, and the attitude of his brothers, with whom he only exchanged greetings, was generally similar.

Had Franz been more closely acquainted with the nobility of Delaka, he might have heard a different story, but he had no interest in making connections in imperial society, so there was no opportunity for that.

But why? 

As the unfamiliar atmosphere of Rogero and the soldiers’ murmurs that he had felt a little while ago passed through his mind one by one, Franz felt strange. It was as if pieces that he had never known existed were popping out of nowhere and trying to create an unexpected picture.

“Are you aware that the Delaka Empire continues to expand its territory even now?”

“Of course I know that. But what does that have to do with Rogero?”

“Your Highness, the Third Prince of the Empire is the one who single-handedly acquired 30% of the territory that Delaka currently occupies. At the age of fifteen, he was already nicknamed the Green Field of the Empire, and it took him less than ten years to conquer all of that vast land. Before he was a Prince, he was the most beloved general of the Emperor of Delaka.”

Just as Franz couldn't understand the soldiers' words, he couldn't understand Neos' words either. All the words he had calmly explained flowed into Franz's head in a jumbled manner, making it difficult to grasp the context. 

What was Rogero's nickname? What was the Emperor's favorite? Territory... or something?

At that moment, Rogero suddenly appeared, holding a thick piece of grain bread in each hand, from where he had brought it. Rogero looked between Franz and Neos, who had their eyes wide open, and sighed exaggeratedly as if he knew what they were talking about.

“Captain Bibiyu, I figured you knew something about me, but you’re keeping your mouth shut. Did you tell Franz all about me in the meantime?”

“I apologize, Your Highness. Since Your Highness the Crown Prince was curious, it was my duty to explain.”

“What about duty! Hey, shit. If you keep talking like this, there’s no point in me keeping my mouth shut all this time.”

Franz realized that now was the time to grab him by the collar and ask him a question.

“What on earth do you mean? Rogero, what on earth have you been hiding from me? Tell me everything from start to finish.”

***

The Emperor of Delaka was a quiet but ambitious man. From the beginning of his reign, he wanted to further expand the territory of the empire that had been passed down from his ancestors, and thus he wanted more talented and skilled people to work for the empire as citizens of Delaka.

His wish, which had been gradually progressing, began to be realized concretely after the birth of the third Prince. From the time Rogero became accustomed to walking and running, the Emperor had the imperial military officers teach the Prince swordsmanship, horseback riding, and military tactics.

No one knew exactly why the Emperor chose the Third Prince, but when twelve-year-old Rogero distinguished himself in his first battle and returned unscathed, everyone was amazed at how accurate the Emperor’s eyes were. Rogero was as skilled in battle as if he had been born to fight.

However, the biggest reason he stood out on the battlefield was his extraordinary coolness in cutting down his enemies without a moment of hesitation at the age of just over ten. Those who saw him running around the enemy lines like a wild beast freed from its shackles all feared him and called him a beast. That is how he got the nickname 'Green Field'.

“That’s the general explanation. I first went to war when I was twelve, and since then I’ve been in places where my life is almost always in danger. I went to the Academy to get some rest. My conscience must have been pricked, so Father gave me permission without a second thought.”

Franz stared at Rogero with an expression of utter disbelief. Rogero had always seemed to him to be a somewhat loose, unfaithful, mischievous boy. Despite being the Emperor's most favored son, he was not snobbish or unruly, and he was able to become close to him quickly.

Franz couldn't imagine him running around the battlefield like a beast. Even when he listened to his story, it didn't feel real, as if he was hearing about someone else. However, the things he had thought were unique or strange about Rogero before were now starting to make a vague sense.

For example, the way he shamelessly said in front of the Emperor, “I’ll take care of the marriage,” and the Emperor’s reaction to seeing him do that without even saying a word or scolding him. The reaction Bartholomew showed after mixing swords with him also came to mind.

“Why didn’t you tell me that?”

“What’s there to brag about? Why would I go around telling the neighborhood about this? Of course, I don’t regret walking this path. I am the son of my Father, but I am also a subject who must be more loyal to him than anyone else. If necessary, I will not hesitate to take up my sword. However, I don’t want to brag in front of my friends that I have killed more people than the number of bowls of rice I have eaten.”

As he said that, Rogero glanced at Franz from the corner of his eye as if he was trying to read his mind. Franz was even more dumbfounded by his attitude, which was like a puppy that knew it would be forgiven but still secretly tucked its tail in.

“Franz.”

"Why?"

“I knew this, so I couldn’t avoid you. You’re the first friend I’ve ever made. You were always hanging out with dark-skinned men, swinging knives around.”

“This is so amazing, I need to think about whether I want to continue to be friends with you or not.”

At Franz's answer, Rogero chuckled as if he was relieved. Then, he stretched his arms out across the table and smiled with a suddenly calm demeanor.

“Enough with the useless talk, shall we talk about something important?”

"...Good."

The two straightened their postures as if they had made a promise. Rogero moved his fingertips and tapped the edge of the table briefly.

“They were smugglers who crossed the border illegally. They usually transported goods, but they also confessed to occasionally trafficking people.”

“So that was their intention this time too?”

"Yes."

Franz's fists clenched above his knees trembled.

“There must be someone behind the scenes who instigated this. Who could it be?”

“He’s the Count of Bloset. Before the second Princess got married, her last name was Bloset, right? Is that a coincidence?”

Judith was right. Franz's eyes darkened with a cold light.

“No, it’s not a coincidence. He is the father of the second Princess. And I think the second Princess was also involved in this incident. I’m sure.”


Previous                    Next


Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments