IHMEB - Chapter 161 < What She Wanted >




“Did Kaian push you off the boat?”

“...Yes?”

As I opened my eyes wide, Valquiterre averted his gaze to the side as if he were nervous.

“I didn’t ask that because I was in a hurry to escape that day.”

“No.”

I quickly answered.

“Pushing me. He didn’t.”

“Is that so?”

“Yes. He tried to help me. To hold my hand.”

Kaian’s last face, which I had tried to bury, came back to my mind vividly and vainly.

“Trust me. I will trust you.”

He floundered uncharacteristically.

Hold my hand. Please.”

I blinked quickly, feeling as if tears were about to fall.

“Pushing you is out of the question.”

“I knew it.”

I felt a strange tone as Valquiterre added a short sigh at the end of his words as if he were relieved.

“Why did you suddenly ask that?”

“Ah. It seems like you’re in quite a trouble now that such a rumor has spread.”

“Rumor?”

I asked, and he answered simply.

“They say that Kaian was pushing you when you fell from the ship.”

“No. That’s ridiculous.”

“In Vermont...”

Valquiterre paused as he tried to say something.

“I think it’s best not to listen to such stories.”

But how could he take back what I had already heard?

“Vermont? What did you do in Vermont?”

I was desperate to hear the rest.

“In Vermont? What did my uncle do to him?”

“He's making an official complaint.”

Valquiterre finally opened his mouth, trying to erase his awkwardness.

“They said Kaian harmed the precious bloodline of Vermont.”

“That’s...”

I hadn’t thought of that.

No one but the person who carried the life would understand the feeling of wanting to protect the baby.

The moment I heard Kaian utter those cruel words, my mind and body were completely focused on saving the baby.

No one could do this for me.

Protecting the baby in my womb was something only I could do as a mother.

'Rumors are spreading that you pushed me.' 

I never thought that Kaian would suffer such humiliation from the Duke of Vermont because of that.

For a moment, my eyes darkened.

'If you die, I will hold the Duke of Temnes responsible for your death. For taking the precious bloodline of Vermont and causing its death.'

How many times had I heard those words drilled into my ears before I got married?

If I gave my life, he would use it as an excuse to fulfill the family's long-held wish. He would trample on Temnes, who dared to plant a flag of war in Vermont.

While I believed I was getting along well with Kaian, I could still hear the voice of the Duke of Vermont, whom I had completely forgotten, vividly in my ears.

“I spoke nonsense.”

Valquiterre sighed as he looked at me, who was standing there with a helpless face.

“There was no way to protect the baby without pretending to die.”

He consoled me.

“The moment you give birth to the baby, you become weak.”

I also agreed with that thought.

As the Duchess of Temnes, my childbirth would be a family affair.

However, if Kaian took the baby away to ‘identify’ it while I was suffering from labor, I would have no choice but to let the baby go. I couldn’t just leave my seat because I had to empty the womb through the afterbirth. I couldn’t give birth to a baby who would be shunned as a Vermont bloodline before it was even born, so I received Valquiterre's help.

I wanted to give birth to my baby somewhere where I could feel protected and safe, whether in Vermont or Temnes. I consoled myself that it was a stroke of luck that I had learned of the cruelty of my child's father in advance.

At least until the baby was born I could hold my baby in my arms.

Until I could resist, saying, "If you want to harm the child, take my life first."

I had only thought about avoiding Kaian.

However, when I thought of the Duke of Vermont, who had threatened martyrdom at the cost of my life, I felt like I had done something I couldn't do to Kaian.

'I thought it would be better if I just disappeared.'

In the end, I couldn't shake off the shackles of my family even in this situation.

“You look sad. Are you heartbroken?”

I nodded slightly.

“Yes.”

“It’s hard for everything to go smoothly. But if the baby is born healthy, it will all work out in the end.”

“It will work out?”

What? I was puzzled by Valquiterre's sudden words.

“Wouldn’t it be different if Kaian saw the baby in person? It’s his child.”

“...”

I had never thought of that because I was so focused on running away from Kaian.

‘Showing the baby to him?’

It was an unimaginable scene.

“Don’t all men who become heads of families die for the successor?”

Valquiterre continued to speak hopefully even when I didn’t respond.

“Anyway, let’s think about good thoughts and focus on prenatal education.”

“Thank you, Bark.”

Valquiterre smiled kindly.

“You’re welcome.”

***

A strange scene unfolded along the road leading to the drawbridge of Rowen Castle.

Thirty men, heavily armed and wearing armor that seemed to be made of some kind of black mixture of molten iron, were sitting in formation, causing the people of the territory to feel discouraged and look around whenever they passed by.

Phuhhing.

The horse that had been running smoothly was suddenly lingering in front of them and snorting, making the coachman who was driving the cart growl.

“Ha. This bastard. Don’t pass quickly.”

In the end, the man got down from his seat and walked in front of them, pulling the reins.

“These Vermonters are so fearless.”

“Shh. Be quiet.”

Did those men who had set up a protest line dare to plant their family flag, which was so obviously exposed, on the land of Rowen?

There were more than a few who gnashed their teeth at the behavior of their enemies.

However, the atmosphere inside the castle was even more icy.

“What are we going to do about this?”

The middle-aged man who appeared as the Duke of Vermont’s representative sat on the sofa in front of the desk in Kaian’s office and frowned.

“I stopped the Duke of Vermont from coming in person.”

Sitting across from him, Kaian didn’t answer and glared at the Duke of Vermont’s adjutant, who appeared in a woolen cloak as if it were a surprise in the sweltering spring of Rowen. To be exact, he picked up his cloak, and his eyes were drawn to the silver ornament on his shoulder, half the size of a palm, with the emblem of his family engraved on it.

‘Claudel.’

Where on earth did that small, frail woman go?

He had searched the lake like a shovel, but he had not found a single hair.

‘Was she that resentful?’

No matter how much he apologized inwardly, it seemed that it had not reached her soul. Considering how much he had been aching for her and had not heard from her.

Kaian looked a little thinner, but he didn’t seem to be greatly affected by Claudel’s absence. His cold, indifferent face was the same as before, and he dealt with matters that required the lord’s judgment like a knife.

“...!”

However, he gradually strengthened his neck and even swore at the Duke of Temnes, acting rudely in front of him... What was that title?

He heard them when they introduced themselves as someone who came on behalf of the Duke of Vermont. Well, even so, there’s no way their rank would be higher than that, so he’ll just leave it at that and say that the person talking in front of him is a Vermonter.

‘My wife was also a Vermonter.’

That fleeting stream of consciousness that began like that led to thoughts about the woman who had disappeared into his head as if his ears had been completely shut.

“...Are you listening to me!”

When the Duke of Vermont’s envoy, enraged by Kaian’s lack of response, suddenly stood up, his voice was finally heard again.

“Of course.”

“The Duke of Vermont will receive a full price for Claudel’s life...”

“There is no price for her life.”

“What!”

“Claudel is not dead, so what price are you asking for?”

The adjutant’s face distorted.

“Instead, I will permit the export of the grain you requested.”

“Your Highness!”

This time, the butler who had been quietly listening to the conversation jumped up.

“I’ll sign this. Take it with you.”

“Ahem.”

Although the direction was strange, he was proud of having achieved his desired goal, so he quickly examined the paper with the seal and put it in his bosom.

“I’ll come again.”

When he disappeared, the butler said to Kaian.

“What if you obediently grant all their requests?”

“That’s what she wanted.”

To feed the hungry children.

“She asked me to do it even if it meant dying.”

“...”

The speechless Baron Colon couldn’t even catch Kaian, who left the office as if he had finished his work as soon as the envoy of Vermont returned.

The time passed quickly without finding Claudel.

The search party had become very small.

Although it is warm all year round, Rowen’s harvest is in line with the seasons of the Kingdom of Oberon.

The farming that starts in March is a big job that is responsible for more than half of the kingdom’s food for the year.

He knew that he couldn’t mobilize the people of the territory for the search forever.

“So I have to find the country too.”

Kaian lived almost halfway out on the lake.

However, he had not been able to look around the lake that he had arrived at late after finishing the lord’s work, and the sun had set earlier that day. 

“My lord. Let’s go now.” 

He didn’t say anything, and the guards who had been following him for a long time approached him and urged him to go back, but he shook his head.

“I’ll stay a little longer.” 

“Then why don’t you take a short break and have a meal? The camp is close.”

Kaian's temporary search headquarters by the lakeside was quickly established in search of Claudel.

"Yes." 

He didn't feel like eating anything, but knowing that the human body needs food, he stuffed something down his throat almost mechanically. Otherwise, the nagging from the butler and those around him would get worse, or he wouldn't be able to completely ruin his health before finding her. 

Just as he entered the search headquarters, where a large fire was blazing, a drunken man gathered the people sitting around the sweltering heat and chattered excitedly. 

"I told you so. The lord pushed that woman into the water."


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments