THYU - Chapter 76



On the second floor was Violet's room. It was filled with wallpaper in a light, calm blue color that matched her eyes, and furniture with a simple, classic design, consistent with Violet's taste, was kept to a minimum.

In addition to a few essential pieces of furniture, the room also had a bookshelf that took up an entire wall. The bookshelves were double-layered so that by pushing the front bookshelf to the side, you could check the books behind it. 

Beyond the cream-colored curtains was a balcony facing the courtyard. Violet walked out and saw that there were stairs leading to a garden in the middle of the courtyard.

"Oh my God..."

He knew she would like it.

After Violet left, Winter may have been indifferent to the state of the house, but he had everyone who he hired to take care of the garden.

It's night now so Violet can only see what's in front of her, but tomorrow morning she'll be able to see all the way to the garden at a glance.

Winter asked as Violet leaned against the railing and looked outside with a mesmerized look.

"How is it?"

"What?"

"My money."

Winter responded playfully and pointed around the area with his hand. Then Violet asked, moving her gaze along his hand.

"Why did you decide to run a hotel?"

"Answer me. Don't ask questions. I mean, show inspiration. I'll be standing here in this house right before you leave after you see this."

"I... why?"

In response to her question, Winter grunted and answered with an expression of self-destruction that Violet had never imagined him making.

"I thought you would change your mind. Yeah, I'll fix it. I assumed from the beginning that I was wrong. I thought you would eventually forgive me because you fell in love with this garden and the newspapers I bought."

There was no other way, Winter thought, standing on the rainy porch of this mansion the night before Violet left. Otherwise, he had no way of holding her. The only solution he knew was to give her the baby, and that was the only thing he thought he couldn't do. Winter asked.

"Are you serious?" 

"What?"

"You agreed to forgive me for deceiving you. I kept it a secret that I couldn't have children, but I thought you were having another man's child. I said I would forgive you." 

Violet nodded to his quiet question.

"I agreed to forgive you. But... "

"Why does it appear here and now? Are you trying to change your mind?" 

"Not really. I probably can't trust you for sure. You didn't tell me anything, but you suspected that I was seeing another man. I understand the situation. But if I were to find myself in a similar predicament again, I probably wouldn't trust you."

I think that's a different issue from forgiveness, Winter felt sick but understood what she was saying.

Forgiveness and trust were two different things. Winter now realized that the same problem was causing Violet to unwaveringly want a divorce. She didn't believe him. It was not a problem that could be solved with money. 

Winter turned his back to the garden and leaned against the railing.

 "It feels strange to think that we will get divorced and you have children with another man."

"That goes for me too." 

"You will forget me soon."

Violet laughed at his mumbling. 

"They say you never forget your first love?"

"That's a lie. It's normal for all memories to fade over time. That's how people live."

"But... There may be a man who will love me more than you, but there will be no man who will love me more than you." 

Then Winter turned to Violet.

"Am I affectionate?" 

"It's heartbreaking."

"Is it because I abandoned it?"

"Maybe so." 

"Right."

Winter stroked his chin and muttered with a somewhat boyish expression.

"For the first time, the year without you feels worthwhile." 

It may be that she gets used to this handsome face, but every time his expression changes little by little, it surprises Violet with a new feeling. 

Wintet asked.

"Why do you not want the royal family to be restored?"

"Hmm. Disbanding the royal family meant acknowledging and apologizing for the royal family's failures."

"It did."

"Just a few years is not an apology, and I think that if the royal family needs to be restored, it should be because the people of Rockound want it. Otherwise, even disbanding the royal family would be taking advantage of people's hearts."

Winter thought about her words for a moment and grumbled.

"As expected, you are stubborn."

"Are you frustrated?"

"No, It's fortunate that there is at least one normal person in the royal family."

"Wow, why are you giving me all the praise?"

"I heard you often call me pretty these days?"

"Isn't that more a sentiment than a compliment?"

When Violet spoke jokingly, Winter laughed cheerfully.

Violet pulled Winter's arm. 

"Now, will you answer my question as well?"

"Why did I decide to open a hotel? It would be ridiculous."

"It's okay."

As if it was something Winter really didn't want to talk about, he rubbed his eyebrows for no reason and gave off an air that anyone could see that he didn't want to talk about it. Then he sat down next to Violet and said.

"When I first run away from the restaurant, I don't have a place to sleep.'"

"Yes."

"At that time, I was already big so it wasn't a big deal if I slept on the street, but since I kept sleeping on the street... I wanted to sleep somewhere with a ceiling. There was a famous hotel in southern Hafeet, and even though I had been sleeping on the street for several days, the manager was strangely welcoming. Even if I tried to enter a restaurant the size of my palm, I was kicked out because I was dirty. So I spent all the money I had that day and slept in the best part of the hotel. For the first time in my life, I fell asleep quietly in my bedroom, without fear. That day, I realized that not everyone in the world goes to sleep in the barn like I do, fearful of when they might get beaten up." 

Winter continued speaking, feeling strangely excited at the sight of Violet's expression changing moment by moment with every word he said.

"It was on that day that I decided to visit my father, who was so angry at me for abandoning me and my mother and who despised me. I couldn't forget the feeling of stability I felt for the first time in my life. And... "

As Winter was lost in thought for a moment, Violet asked softly.

"And?"

"Is this fun? It's a sad story to me." 

"Don't say that with a sad expression at all."

"..."

Still, after living together as a couple for several years, she can read his facial expressions. Winter clicked her tongue, leaned back, and continued. 

"And I felt at peace. I was ecstatic at first, but it felt like it wasn't my home at all. Like a guest. The Bloomings and Hafeet aren't that far away, so I often go there and sleep. The manager there was a great guy and he knew everything about me by heart. A room I like, a flower that I said was pretty without even knowing its name, a scenery, or food."

Violet asked as Winter stopped talking again.

"Do you still know the manager?" 

"Yes. Please correct me, even though he's 80 this year. Oh,  since you look so excited, I guess I should tell you this too."

"What are you talking about?"

"Do you know why the manager let me in even though I behaved like such a Jerk the first time?"

"What?"

"I often see people from the Blooming family at that hotel and they say I resemble my father, whom they have seen since he was young."

"Oh my God."

"So he quickly took me to a place where there were no other customers, washed me, changed me into pajamas, and even washed and returned the rag-like clothes I was wearing. Just in case, you never know. There are more bastards from noble families than you might think."

"What a great person." 

"He's a capable person." 

"Oh, tell me about Nissa too. I heard from Hayel at first glance that he went from a room maid to the general manager of Chiron Hotel. Now that I think about it, how did you meet Hayel?" 

When Violet looked at him with a curious face, he felt a tingle, so Winter scratched the back of his neck for no reason.

"Is this story interesting?" 

"It's fun. You're a better storyteller than you think."

What was so funny about the word storyteller that Winter burst out laughing.

He thought he would have to live in discomfort with Violet forever. He never imagined that he and the Princess would be like this forever, sitting side by side on the sofa and chatting about the past without noticing the passage of time.

Violet was very happy throughout the story, and Winter was so happy that he lost track of time. In particular, Nissa received the highest rating from her guests for every room she cleaned, and when Winter learned of her existence, he was delighted as if he had heard a heroic story.

Then, Winter said after checking his watch.

"It's past time to sleep."

"You always try to put me to sleep every night. Do you think that if I break bedtime, I'll be in big trouble?"

"Isn't it obvious? When people think of a Princess's bed, they naturally think of falling asleep perfectly and at exactly the right time in the quietest and most comfortable place in the world."

"Is it so?"

"Yes."

"Wake up, then."

Violet stood up.

"So, you're busy now. You're also going to start an airship business."

"Puck is worried too."

"I'm really worried. Why?"

Violet scolded. And then with her tired body, she walked him to the door.

"Good night. Thank you for telling an interesting story."

She waved and was about to turn around, but Winter grabbed her hand and said.

"It's a sad story."

"Why is it a sad story? It's a saga."

"Then you're not sad?"

"The end of this story is a happy ending. There may be some failures along the way, but you will soon have everything you want and become the owner of this wonderful mansion."

"Ah, happy ending. I guess so."

Winter opened his hand and looked at Violet's hand in hers. After a while, he was about to let go of her hand, but Violet noticed Winter's blurred expression in the darkness of the hallway and held his hand again.

"What's wrong?"

Then Winter let go of his hand and took a step back.

"I wish this story would end here."

"That is... What do you mean? Would you like to talk more?"

"Just sleeping."

Winter finished speaking and turned around.

Violet watched Winter's back as he walked away until he disappeared.

***

After he left, Violet had a hard time falling asleep. Even though it was a very soft bed. Maybe it was because Winter's voice kept lingering in her ears. 

"I can't sleep..."

She sighed and eventually sat down on the bed. She thought about reading a book and headed to the bookshelf.

There was a small light bulb on the desk and a large mainspring underneath it. When she turned it hard, it started blinking and then the light came on. 

"Oh my goodness..."

Violet looked curious, opened the book below, and read a few lines. She heard Winter screaming calling her name in the quiet mansion.

Violet stood up in surprise.


Previous            Next



  Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments