TFDBF - Chapter 46





The Viscountess held out a jewelry box in her hand and showed it to him.

The moment Alfred saw the dazzling blue brooch, he stopped and looked at Marco.

Marco looked at Alfred with very earnest eyes and smiled.

"If you think about it, it's a strange thing."

It was definitely something that was stolen from me, and given Alfred's personality, he wouldn't have hidden it if he had known that Marco had stolen it.

A treasure of that magnitude would be a clue to find out what my identity' is after losing my memory. Rather than keep an unknown person in the mansion, he would have tried to find out who I was through that object.

So Marco would not have told anyone about the existence of that brooch.

"Why are you insisting now that the source of that item is Alfred?"

As if he was sure that he would agree with Marco's lie.

Looking back, it's strange that Alfred, who was so obsessed with keeping the mansion in perfect condition, didn't fire someone like Marco in the first place.

'There must be something there. I couldn't figure out that part with the information Eric gave me.'

I leisurely observed the two people, then moved my gaze to Aileen, who was standing with a confused look on her face as if she had no idea what was going on.

'It's amazing, really.'

Meanwhile, her eyes were focused on a beautiful brooch that radiated blue light.

At this point, I should have been glad that what I saw from this point in time was revealed without any filtering.

If only the Viscountess, whose thoughts had been clouded by her long seclusion, had taken her as her guardian and had made her debut in the social world...

'It would have tarnished the reputation and name that the Viscountess had built up until now.'

While I was swallowing my laughter, Alfred belatedly broke the silence.

The low voice was not too loud or too small, but it penetrated everyone's ears.

"No, Ma'am. I have never handled anything like that."

"Right."

When the Viscountess gave a short answer and nodded, Marco, whose arms were bound, began to struggle.

"Ah, Alfred! How can you do this to me?! Don't you know who I am? You..."

Those waiting for Alfred's gesture shouted so loudly that it hurt my ears and covered Marco's mouth as he resisted.

Marco, who was instantly subdued by a clumsy hand and crushed to the floor, glared at Alfred with his eyes wide open. He bowed his head towards the Viscountess without changing his expression.

"I'm sorry. Even though I knew that he was an unfaithful person, the
fact that I kept him as a person who had been working for the Viscountess for a long time caused a problem. It is my fault as commander-in-chief."

Marco's eyes were full of betrayal as he twisted his entire body and tried desperately to open his mouth.

The Viscountess stared at Alfred who was completely undisturbed and then opened her mouth.

"We need to find out where this stuff came from. Just looking at it, it's not an ordinary item. If I remember correctly... This item could put the entire company in quite a difficult situation."

"First, we will imprison Marco semi-basement room and start interrogating the source of the item. Then, let's ask around for someone who can appraise the item. I will also pay attention to the speed of entry into the mansion."

"Yes. I guess you can take care of it."

The Viscountess shook her head and handed him the jewelry box she was holding. Alfred approached the headmaid without paying attention to the limp Marco. The purpose was to discuss how the search occurred and how to resolve the situation.

"Thank you Sir Daniel for your hard work too. It's just shameful that the commotion caused by my inexperience was shown without filtering."

Daniel comforted the Viscountess's calm words.

"There is nothing to worry about. If you look at it that way, I am in a position where I came without warning and the Madam is in a position to take care of me, so I should be ashamed. I don't think you need to worry too much."

"Is it so. In that case, I hope the Lord will think of it as a situation within the mansion."

So, it was an unspoken request that everyone please keep quiet about this incident.

"And Aileen. Isabella."

Aileen, who was standing still, flinched at the Viscountess's call.

When I looked up, the Viscountess spoke to the two of us with a calm face that made it hard to tell what she was thinking.

"You two must be very tired from being busy since the morning, but can you at least make time to have tea with me?"

It was a gentle invitation, but it was a firm atmosphere that did not tolerate rejection.

"Of course, Ma'am."

Unlike me, who gave me an answer right away. Aileen was unable to say anything with a pale face.

Instead of speaking further, the Viscountess turned and entered the mansion, speaking softly.

"You two, follow me."

***

Growling.

Unlike the tea I drank in the garden, the clear tea water filled my cup.

"A lot of things have happened, so you must be distraught too. It is a tea that calms the mind."

"Thank you."

The light tea with a bitter aftertaste washed away the sweet and rich taste of the food in the garden.

Unlike me, who willingly brought the teacup to my mouth. Aileen did not even touch the teacup.

The Viscountess, who had been drinking tea calmly as if she didn't care about her, finally opened her mouth.

“Aileen.”

"Yes, yes?"

When Aileen, who was startled, looked up, the Viscountess spoke softly.

"I already know that you encouraged Charlotte to search through Isabella's belongings. So don't make excuses and answer my questions."

The soft and gentle demeanor with which Aileen was usually treated was nowhere to be seen.

The only consideration for the beloved child was to kill all the employees and at least spare Aileen from being humiliated on a large scale in front of them.

"Why were you so sure that Isabella had the hairpin I gave you as a gift?"

That's right, that's what I picked up. In fact, I even showed what I had right in front of Aileen.

However, Aileen could not easily reply to the Viscountess's words.

I couldn't tell you how the hairpin came into my possession, and I couldn't tell you why I secretly tried to get it back.

The Viscountess looked at Aileen, who was biting her lip without giving any answer, and rubbed her wrinkled brow as if she were tired.

"I guess I... It seems like you've been doing something very foolish."

"So... Aunt..."

The Viscountess was not shaken by the call that she barely managed to get out while looking at him pitifully, but answered calmly.

"Yes. I am your aunt. I am a foolish and ugly aunt who has not even been able to fulfill my role as an aunt properly."

"What are you saying?"

Aileen's face contorted as if she was about to burst into tears.

"I ruined you too by wallowing in the sorrow of losing my child. I pushed in a useless wind, and even though I knew your foolishness and greed, I didn't stop you." 

"I was wrong. I will fix it."

"I thought it would get good stimulation from having Isabella by your side. Sometimes jealousy leads to better growth. I thought it might make you less foolish."

Aileen clung to the Viscountess with a look on her face that looked like she was about to collapse.

She knew because she saw her firm mouth and cool eyes.

The fact that she crossed the 'line'.

And the Viscountess, who up until now had pretended not to notice his borderline indulgence, has decided not to do so anymore.

"Yeah, but it's true. I was worried about my aunt. Isabella is too suspicious to have lost her memories..."

"You still don't regret your mistakes."

The Viscountess who cut off Aileen spoke while ignoring her, who was desperately clinging to her side. 

"If you lost your memory and there was something suspicious, you should have told me so. Rather than bribing the maid to search through that child's belongings."

Foolishly, Aileen was still making excuses.

'Did she think it would be acceptable to stay as a guest and seduce the manor's maid and use her as her own?'

It was on a different level from simply acting as a daughter as if comforting a woman who had lost her daughter.

Because she treated this mansion and the Viscount family as their own.

"Send a letter to your parents. Go down early tomorrow morning."

"Aunt!"

Crying voices filled the room.

As Aileen stretched out, holding her arms, the Viscountess called the maids who were waiting outside.

The women came in quickly and surrounded Aileen.

"Miss, you need to go back to your room. We will help you."

Aileen, who had been sitting precariously, was unable to withstand the force of several people and eventually got up.

Even as she left the room under the pretense of helping her, she didn't say anything until the sound of her calling out for her aunt faded away.

I just look down at the empty teacup with extremely lonely eyes.

'That's foolish.'

This was the last opportunity.


Previous                Next



  Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments