TFDBF - Chapter 45




For a moment, I almost flinched without realizing it, but I managed to control my expression.

[He is returning to the mansion in a hurry. It seems like someone contacted him.]

Hmm. The search is progressing faster than expected, so there won't be any major changes when he returns, but there's no need for him to bring in elements that could change the situation.

'Tie his feet a little. It doesn't have to be that long. It's as simple as a carriage wheel falling off or a tree falling down due to wind blowing and blocking the road.'

[I get it.]

'And come back and tell me what he did.'

***

The employees gathered in front of the mansion following the instructions of the maid exchanged anxious glances.

Since people cannot be completely clean, there may be some who make small mistakes or are greedy.

"There is nothing to worry about. If it is not related to this matter and is not a serious enough problem to undermine the discipline of the mansion, I will not reprimand you." 

It was only then that I could see the anxiety subsiding a little at the maid's unsatisfactory assertion. The Viscountess, who was watching the knights busily moving around the mansion, broke the silence and spoke to me.

"I guess I owe an apology to Charlotte. I thought she was a smart girl, but I didn't know that she lacked the most important attitude to serve a nobleman."

"She must have been very loyal to the Madam. She is a great maid."

"For the moment she served you, she should have been your maid. The story is already over because she forgot her duties."

"..."

"If you were quick-witted, you would have felt it little by little. Why didn't you tell me?"

I pursed my lips and smiled as if I couldn't open my mouth easily.

The Viscountess, who was staring at me, was about to speak.

"I think you should come here for a while."

As if something was wrong, the sound of intake of breath could be heard here and there as the Viscountess was called in a hard tone.

Even if it wasn't his problem, it wouldn't be good for the employees to discover my secrets.

Moreover, the people who work here must have a sense of pride. 

"Please look at this."

"This..."

"This is a gem made from the finest blue coral. I'll have to get it appraised to find out the details, but it doesn't look like it's a counterfeit."

The existence of a brooch hidden in layers of fabric in a small box was revealed. Even someone who doesn't know much about jewelry could tell that it wasn't just an ordinary imitation. The Viscountess's face hardened as she looked at the brooch closely.

"Did you recognize it?" 

Since it was made of blue coral of that size and with such elaborate workmanship, it was clear that its value exceeded the price of most houses.

However, that brooch has such an important meaning that it is difficult to judge it simply by the value of the jewel, then I glanced at Eileen standing next to me.

She was glancing at the brooch, although she was inwardly relieved that the existence of the 'hairpin' was not revealed. 

"Where did you find this? Who had it?"

"I found it in the servants' quarters. I heard that this is the room where the stable keeper stays."

"The stable keepег."

Billy, who was among the servants, looked up with a puzzled look on his face at the word 'stable keeper.' The Viscountess, who was quietly examining his face, opened her mouth.

"I understand there is someone else besides you. He's not here now. Where is he?"

"Marco will be in the infirmary. He said in the morning he had a very bad headache and he was going to get some medicine." 

Billy mumbled in an uncertain voice.

Rather than a headache, it was probably because he had been drinking heavily and was suffering from a severe hangover. 

"Bring him."

The Viscountess who had been giving instructions to Billy paused. 

"No, would you like me to go directly? If he resists, subdue him and bring him to me."

The eyes of those present turned to the brightly shining brooch as the Viscountess said that she was concerned about the possibility that Marco would catch the wind and run away.

'It doesn't go astray.'

I had already guessed that Marco was hiding the items in his living quarters.

There were no employees close to Marco, who was addicted to gambling and alcohol, so it was impossible for anyone to take care of the jewels.

However, the item would have been too great to just take it to a jewelry store.

Marco, who had already had his goods taken as collateral several times, would have already known.

That such items should not be sold carelessly.

'So he must have waited for an illegal auction that guaranteed the seller's identity.'

If he goes through that way, he will be able to sell even stolen items without worrying about tracking them.

"Get the gem appraiser. If this is real..."

Looking at the pale face of the Viscountess, a faint feeling of guilt flashed across her face.

Because that item is a genuine product that no one can deny.

It was what I had with me when I first had an accident with my wife's carriage.

'Eric's information was effective.'

Marco, who often got into debt due to gambling, had already surrendered the house deed.

In the meantime, when he saw the precious jewel found in the arms of the girl who had fallen unconscious after being hit by a carriage, he must have been greedy without realizing it and grabbed it in a hurry.

The girl who woke up afterward couldn't remember anything, so he must have been delighted.

"I guess he thought there wouldn't be any problem if he just handed it over to the auction."

Since I had to play the role of a poor girl who I still couldn't remember, I just glanced at the brooch with curious eyes.

"There were no other items. I don't think taking in hidden emergency funds or items that violate minor rules are subject to search requirements."

Hearing Daniel's words, the head maid sighed in relief and lowered her head.

"It seems to me that the items from Marco's residence have nothing to do with Charlotte, Ma'am."

"We'll talk about that later."

Aileen, who had been rolling her eyes without understanding what was going on, flinched at the Viscountess's firm words.

Marco was seen being taken away by knights from afar.

***

The Viscountess, who was looking at him quietly, gave a quiet instruction.

"Help him get sober."

Splash.

Ice-cold water poured down on his head.

“Eupupu.”

It was only after he looked like a drowned rat that his eyes finally came back into focus.

His eyes, still looking around without understanding the situation, widened when he noticed the small box in the Viscountess's hand.

"Well, that's...!"

"Do you know what this is?"

"That's mine!"

The Viscountess's face hardened at his words. An even quieter voice put pressure on Marco.

"This is yours? You mean this thing?"

"..."

"You'd better think carefully before speaking."

Marco, scared, raised his head and looked around. He seemed to be wandering around looking for a helper who could defend him.

The Viscountess pushed him as if she had no intention of looking at him like that.

"This is a brooch made of blue coral. It is something that even nobles cannot easily obtain. Not only that... But if this exquisitely crafted pattern is real..."

"..."

"It's something that a single user can never have or should have."

Marco trembled and glanced at me.

Although I am the owner of the item, I should not even know that it was 'stolen', so I blinked and tilted my head.

"Where did this product come from? How did you get it?"

Marco, who was at a dead end and didn't know what to do, finally shouted out the name of his friend who had allowed him to set foot in this mansion despite his disloyal attitude.

"It was given to me by Commander-in-Chief Alfred! He gave me this!"

Everyone fell silent at the sudden shouting.

A familiar figure was getting off the carriage that arrived at the main gate of the mansion just in time.

This was the Alfred Marco had been waiting for so long.

When he saw the servants and knights gathered in front of the mansion, he realized that something serious had happened and began to approach this direction at a fast pace. Windy, who had been by his side the whole time, flew over and landed on his shoulder.

The climax of this play was just about to unfold.

***

The Viscountess looked down at Marco with a calm face, then raised her head towards Alfred, who had come closer.

Since he was shouting so loudly, there was no way Alfred, who was approaching here, would not have heard Marco.

"General."

"Yes, Ma'am."

"There was a bit of a commotion at the mansion. It was something that could almost have given the hard-working employees a bad reputation."

Alfred lowered his head, unable to tell what he was thinking.

The Viscountess continued.

"Because this matter arose while you were away, the head maid gathered the servants under her authority and agreed to a search to protect their honor."

"Yes."

"And this was discovered."


PreviousPrevious                Next



  Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments