TFDBF - Chapter 33




Because of my presence, her place in her heart was no longer safe or absolute.

So, they will try to bring about change in some form...

I glanced at the maid serving me and smiled.

The skillful and neat workmanship that leaves no trace of a flaw is probably the result of training under an extremely strict butler.

It also means that she is trusted by the butler.

'Putting someone like that on me must have been a sign of surveillance, not consideration.'

In the first place, he probably didn't expect me to stay in this mansion for this long.

So, rather than a 'talented' high-class maid, they assigned me a clumsy maid who had just arrived.

It is true that thanks to this, it was much easier to move around while avoiding his eyes.

From now on, my every move would be seen.

"What your name was?"

"My name is Charlotte, lady."

"Charlotte."

I smiled brightly and called her name affectionately.

A rather pretty maid, she hesitated and raised her head.

"Nice to meet you. I am Isabella."

"Yes, Miss."

Although I must have looked very strange for telling her something she already knew, the maid smiled and bowed her head without any reaction.

At that moment, a faint smell of oil came from the nape of her neck.

'Vegetable oil is used for cleaning in the mansion.'

As the owner of the mansion is a picky Viscountess, the oils used indoors are usually odorless or scented.

'There are some oils that emit a terrible odor even in very small amounts.'

A representative example was oil extracted from animals, especially mammals, which have a lot of fat. And wherever such oil is used...

A stable where horses are maintained.

Animal oil is used not only for the leather used for saddles but also for cleaning horse horseshoes. Otherwise, the precious leather will be ruined quickly.

It was one of the maid's duties to maintain a neat and tidy appearance at all times.

If there was a stain on the nape of her neck, it was probably done this morning.

There was no way Marco, who had been busy gambling all night and didn't even have a proper appearance, would have crawled in as soon as morning.

A simple young man who used to blush every time I spoke to him flashed through my mind. 

"Miss?"

"Bring a change of clothes, Charlotte."

I straightened up my appearance as I watched her walking briskly.

I mean...

When I thought of those innocent, gentle eyes, for some reason, someone came to mind and I felt strange.

***

"You want to take horseback riding lessons?"

Madam Mancini asked with a puzzled look at my sudden request. I smiled, nodded, and gave her a reason why she could never say no.

"Actually, every time I get on the carriage, I feel like my body is stiffening, probably because of the accident. Of course, it's been okay so far, but I want to overcome the constant shrinking..."

"Oh my."

The excuse of trauma from a carriage accident certainly worked.

Feeling guilty and responsible for my words, Madam Mancini instructed Alfred to find a better teacher than anyone else for my riding lessons.

"You're afraid of horses, Isabella."

Aileen glanced at me and lowered her eyes as if she felt sorry.

"Even if I go near it, my body becomes stiff. Is Aileen good at riding horses?"

"I would say it's okay. Oh, now that I think about it, there must be a horse riding club here in the estate where noble children gather."

She leaned towards me and spoke in a friendly voice.

"Once you get used to the language, I will take you to the meeting. There is also a beginner's course, so it might be an opportunity to hang out with other ladies."

Madam Mancini's delighted gaze followed 
the offer made in a kind tone. 

Has Aileen decided to get rid of her childlike appearance?

Now that I think about it, her outfit today looked much calmer and more mature than her usual childishly lively dresses.

Well, anyway...

"Thank you, Aileen. Once I get used to speaking, I definitely want to visit the club you recommended with Aileen."

Aileen's eyes trembled slightly as she smiled brightly.

She must have known.

Even if you rush to change your image now, it doesn't mean that everything you've built up will disappear.

At least in this mansion, no matter what she wears or acts, any behavior that is different from before will be seen as a positive influence that comes solely from me.

'In other words, if you do good things, your reputation will build up for me."

But I can't do something stupid enough to ruin my reputation.

"Then, I'll go to Martha."

"I guess so. Don't push yourself too hard. Horses are easily excitable animals, so you must always be careful."

I saw Aileen's hand twitch as she smiled at Madam's gentle request.

"Miss, I will bring you riding clothes."

"Yes, thank you."

A maid who takes care of you without having to say a word and a servant who gives you a friendly look. I'm definitely starting to act 'age-appropriate' compared to before, but can you bear the fact that people's nerves are still more focused on me?

Although she may have intended to act childish, her self-centered way of thinking was also inherent to her.

'I don't really need to add anything more.'

Because I can see that it will self-destruct again at any time. Of course, I don't plan on leaving it alone until then.

***

As I expected, Billy was waiting for me at the massage parlor dressed in light riding clothes.

"Can't you see Marco?"

"Well, that friend was sick today and didn't come out."

Billy's face turned red as he stuttered.

Judging by the fact that no sad news was heard, it appears that he was found safely by the patrol before he expired.

"That's such a pity. I hope he gets better quickly."

"That friend..."

Billy, who was about to say something, closed his mouth with a complicated expression.

His restless eyes were still focused on his toes.

"Which of these horses is the gentlest?"

"This way. I saved it in advance for you."

A jet-black horse with a rich, shiny mane blinked its gentle eyes.

"It's a black horse."

"I know for a fact that noble ladies prefer white horses. Such horses are usually difficult to maintain and are often rough and picky. Well, minor illnesses tend to occur frequently."

The color of the horse didn't really matter.

It's just that the pitch-black color reminds me of someone and I just feel strange.

"I don't care if it's white or black. I can see that this child's eyes are very clear and gentle."

As I smiled and reached out and touched the bridge of the nose, the horse that had been squinting raised its head.

"He's asking you to touch me more."

"What is this child's name?"

"Ah. Alexander."

"It's a very brave name. It's Alexander."

Despite his gentle and gentle personality, I never thought he would bear the name of the first Emperor.

As I brushed Billy's hand that was holding the reins, pretending not to notice, I felt him startle.

"Thank you as always, Billy. You were the one who calmed down the excited horse last time, right?"

"Oh, no, no. Just do what needs to be done..."

His face turned bright red again as he mumbled.

At that moment, Charlotte, who had cut the apples I had asked for into bite-size pieces for the horses to eat, entered the stable.

Billy, who was overwhelmed by having a private conversation with a precious young lady so close to him, continued with a red face without even noticing who was coming.

"Ho, if you're ever in trouble again, I'll be there to help you at any time..."

"I brought you the apples you mentioned, My Lady."

It was only for a split second that Charlotte stopped at Billy's words.

As a well-trained maid, she approached without a change in her expression and handed me a basket of apples.

"Thank you, Charlotte."

"Yes."

With a short answer, she spoke to a dazed Billy as she took a couple of steps back.

"I wish Billy would take care of this child rather than Marco. Can you do that?"

Charlotte's gait, which had been walking at a reasonable pace, became slightly unsteady. Maybe it was nothing special. However, I knew it after observing it while attending Charlotte yesterday and today.

She has near-perfect mycorrhea.

The fact that Charlotte meets Billy early in the morning, before she even wakes me up, and comes with oil on her body, probably means that she has feelings for this innocent young man.

'Right now, even if it's just that he's stuttering because he's shy because a precious and pretty girl keeps touching....'

There's no way it won't offend Charlotte.


Previous            Next



  Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments