TCIWTFY - Chapter 79


Valdina Castle, an alley on the outskirts of District 3.

Crack. 

The sound of impatient steps echoed through the quiet street.

Medea walked quickly.

She knew she had to wait for Neril to return from a quick errand, but she couldn't bear to stay there with him.

Even sharing the same land, the same sky, and the same air made her feel sick like she was being strangled.

"Ha, ha, ha..."

Medea clutched her chest.

She can't believe she's meeting Jason here. The first time he appeared in Valdina as a member of the delegation was at the delegation's celebration banquet.

'Why have you already entered the royal castle?"

She momentarily lost her temper due to the unexpected encounter that came ahead of schedule.

My husband and enemy from my previous life. The man who gave everything, but took everything away from me.

"Excuse me, may I know the lady's name?"

When she saw Jason again, Medea had to struggle not to crush the young, vibrant face of her husband.

She was holding back her writhing fingers so much that she even cried. Scars are left in memory. Medea didn't forget a thing.

I will return to you each and every wound that is deeply ingrained in my blood.

Loving Jason was a mistake and a stain on her life.

It's a stain from a nightmare that marks her like a stigma and makes her want to dig it out even if it means cutting into her flesh.

'But what about the children?'

For a moment, Medea's body stiffened at the question being asked.

Those kids... My children are not a stain.

It was the only breath and reason that kept her alive.

If she destroys Jason in this life, she will never see those children again.

Medea stumbled without realizing It.

It was like she was facing a cliff and she couldn't take a single step.

The white hand desperately wandered around looking for a place to lean on, but was unable to find it and ended up grabbing only the hem of the clothes.

Bloodlines appeared on the back of her hand, where the blood had disappeared.

'Lian. Leah. Your poor mother is abandoning you again.'

"Mother, I don't want to go to the imperial palace. Can't I stay with my mother?" 

"Mother, don't worry. Just wait a little while and I will come get my mother."

My son, Lian, has always been brave and courageous. Medea pushed the little thing's back with her hand and sent him away.

The little face that kept turning back and seeing Medea's face even as he left.

She will never again be able to see the little hands that were wiping away tears and waving brightly in ease their mother worried.

"Mom, don't cry. Leah will hug you. Is it because you want to see your brother?"

A chubby hand that wiped away tears. The faint scent of milk permeated the tip of my nose while she was held in her arms.

Anxiety and worry in young eyes as they look at their mother.

Medea was going crazy after losing her son and was never a proper mother to Leah.

"No! I don't want to go! I'll be with my mom!"

The child was hysterical and struggling.

She hugged my waist with her small hands and forcibly removed the thing that was trying to keep her from falling and gave it to Birna. The last thing I saw was her wet face. I will never see my children again.

A realization that she had not been aware of since her return struck Medea.

Maybe it was because she knew it would shake things up like this that she put it off.

'If I destroy Jason in this life, not even a trace of you will be left behind. Nevertheless, this ugly mother cannot give up revenge.'

You will be there all the time blaming me.

She felt like she could hear the silent screams of children.

Her vision was dizzy. The ground seemed to give way and grabbed her feet.

It was all dark. What lies beneath that abyss?

If Lian and Leah are waiting for me over there, crying, then I...

The moment she was about to collapse, a strong hand supported her waist.

"Breathe."

A low voice rang out.

"Slowly. You need to take a breath."

I don't know. How do I inhale? How have I been breathing so far? 

Medea couldn't remember a single thing.

Can't we just stay like this? It's comfortable in the dark because I don't have to think about anything.

"Hurry."

A calm voice urged. 

Ridge. Ridge. 

Medea felt a small sound of a shallow tap on my wrist. 

Ridge. Boom. 

He knocked slowly.

"Can you hear?"

"One..."

A voice that came out poorly between panting breaths. The other hand pats your back as if you are doing well.

Talk.

"Two...."

Talk. Talk.

“Three, four.”

In the pale darkness, Medea concentrated only on counting.

The arm holding her waist tightly was the only support she could rely on.

The counting voice gradually became slower.

"Good job."

She finally came to her senses when she heard a low voice over her head as if praising her.

***

When Medea opened her eyes again, it was an unfamiliar place.

An alluring scent that seeps into the tip of her nose. The smooth, cream-colored sheets tickled her cheeks softly.

'It's not the Princess's palace.' 

She stood up straight away.

One step later, the gorgeous interior of the room came into view. There was nothing ordinary about the commonly placed decorations.

As if sensing Medea's presence, a man wearing a white half-mask approached behind a cream-colored curtain.

"You're awake."

"Why am I here..."

"I erased the traces. The Princess of Valdina seems to enjoy taking risks, but if I were you, I would be more careful."

A cup was held out in front of Medea.

She habitually checked the contents. It was just clear water.

The cold water awakened her vision. His words brought back her last memory.

The moment she met Jason and was driven into the abyss, a strong hand held her as she collapsed.

Was it the man in front of me who brought me here after I collapsed?

"Princess, isn't it too early to let down your guard yet?"

Medea bit her lip at the drowsy point. She thought she had completely shaken off all traces of her past life.

'You overconfident me.'

If her identity had been revealed to the delegation in that situation, she would have been in trouble.

'But why aren't they asking anything about interest?"

Wary green eyes looked at Cesare.

The man, who did not seem to fit in at all with the splendid interior reminiscent of a palace, blended in surprisingly seamlessly.

"I'm sorry, but I'm not free enough to follow you around here either."

The voice became relaxed as it recognized the boundary.

"I sent a message, so the Princess's maid will be here soon."

"You showed a disgrace." 

The corner of one of the man's eyes lifted slightly.

"I'm sad. Haven't we been on the same page ever since the Princess took care of the water for me?"

"That didn't mean I was going to help you and make the Katzen Imperial Family my enemy."

Cesare's eyes flashed as if searching. It seems that this Princess even recognized that the source of the assassination that raided the Count's residence in that short period was the imperial family.

"So, the Princess of Valdina, who had no intention of opposing Katzen, came all the way here to greet the imperial people in advance?"

"..."

Cesare's straight fingers drew a line across the table. And he placed the cup at his fingertips.

"Comrade or enemy. For me, it's mostly these two categories. Katzen's delegation is here."

Suddenly, the cup that was pushed fell to the floor. 

Crisp.

It broke cleanly without making any noise.

"Princess, don't you think our wishes are different?"

"...The debt will be repaid later."

Medea stood up instead of answering.

She was surprisingly quick to gather herself and organize herself. As if she doesn't want to show any more loopholes to her opponent.

"As you wish."

He shrugged. He leisurely followed the slender back.

Creak. The door was closed.

Soon, only the faint sound of wood burning in the fireplace could be heard.

***

The darkness of dusk was creeping into the white mansion.

"Cesare, I brought you medicine."

"Leave it there."

Terence looked at Cesare as he set the steaming glass down on the table.

However, as he stood by the window, his golden eyes were looking outside as if he was thinking about something else.

"No matter what, you didn't bring her to the mansion. What would you do if the Princess found out about your true identity?"

"Has the Princess ever met Jason?"

Cesare asked an odd question as if he hadn't even heard what Terence said.


Previous            Next


Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments