IHMEB - Chapter 115 < A Heart That Is Not Mine >






“I want to change the castle’s seamstress.”

Kaian was surprised by her words. He was so shocked that he never imagined that Claudel would be watching him with eagle eyes.

"Why all of a sudden?"

“Just like that. It’s a whim.”

Claudel's tone of voice was a little different from usual.

She always spoke her words in such a gentle and soft tone that they sounded like a cute little bird chirping. But now, she spoke in the tone of a poetry teacher who had quit teaching Kaian before because he couldn't do it.

“Madame Marcel is the best seamstress.”

“If I don’t like her, I can get another seamstress.”

“If you suddenly have to hire another seamstress, there won’t be anyone to make your clothes for another few months.”

His words, which Kaian picked up and served, were very poor.

“I already have a lot of dresses.”

"Ah."

He had nothing to say. When he saw Claudel's empty dressing room, he gnashed his teeth at the Duke of Vermont, and it was he who had swept up all her clothes so that she could not wear them all.

“That wasn’t tailored for you.”

“Is it all mine? I don’t need more.”

Kaian was embarrassed. He had a really hard time-saving Madame Marcel.

First, he had to eliminate all male seamstresses, and since the Rowen estate was located in the southernmost part of Oberon's kingdom, not many people were willing to come that far to work.

If Claudel had given a different reason, he would have at least made an excuse.

Kaian had nothing to say because he said out loud that it was a 'whimper' and that he had changed his mind.

'I haven't even been able to show you the dress yet.'

It felt like the pure white bridal gown that seemed like the best gift in the world a moment ago had been reduced to a thousand pieces.

'Gabon. I went to Gabon today.'

He said that it would take a lot of work to complete the dress and that he would have to work for another month.

The roughly sewn clothes were at a stage where they could be worn on the body, but it took so much time to completely complete them.

It was a time when Kaian was lost and had no idea how to change Claudel's heart.

“Do you like Madame Marcel?”

“You call that a question? How hard it was for me to get a seamstress her size.”

"Yes."

Claudel shook her head and she raised her head.

“It was just something I said.”

The woman who seemed to have a shadowy face earlier now had a refreshing look on her face, as if her worries were relieved.

“Really?”

"Yes."

“Thank goodness. So you don’t have to get a new seamstress.”

Then Claudel shrugged her shoulders and began to cough.

“Cough. Cough.”

Kaian hugged her, rubbed her back, and comforted her.

“It seems like you cough a lot.”

"It's okay. It’s no big deal.”

“Your body is cold. Like someone who went somewhere and came back.”

Her hands were cold. It's not that it's not, but when he cupped her cheek, he felt Claudel shivering from his body heat.

“I’m going to take a break.”

“I said it was okay to sleep first. There’s no need to stay up.”

At his words, Claudel opened her lips as if she was about to say something, but then closed her mouth again.

"Yes. I will do that from now on.”

Kaian hugged Claudel and lay down on her bed.

For a while, when he came to her bedroom after she had already fallen asleep, he felt empty, as if something was missing from him.

Now he was full of happiness.

The moment he held his child and wife in one embrace was extremely satisfying.

***

Madam Marcel was drinking tea for a long time in the living room attached to my bedroom.

I said I would bring more dessert, and while Hannah went to the kitchen, Madame Marcel was asleep with her head resting against the back of her sofa.

"Oh. Madame Marcel....”

"Shh. Don’t wake her up.”

When I told her to be quiet, Hannah shut her mouth and put down more cookies and cakes she had brought on thr tea table.

Hannah lowered her voice.

“Madame Marcel looks very tired these days.”

She was always a cheerful woman who wore her makeup meticulously. But under her eyes, she had worn-out shadows and her makeup had worn thin.

Hohoho. I'm so busy these days that I don't have time to put anything on her face. I'm trying to do something I've never done before.'

Madame Marcel responded to my words by waving her hand. The thing she was talking about that she wasn't doing was definitely related to Kaian.

“It’s worth it.”

Kaian was a very passionate man.

He was also a person who was faithful to his own instincts and desires.

It was after I neglected my marital duties under the pretext of ‘treatment’ through the intervention of a doctor that Madame Marcel began to visit Kaian’s office every day.

It did not occur to me that Madame Marcel would have seduced Kaian.

When I asked if I wanted to change seamstresses, I gave a straight face, and remembering the troubled look on his face, I could guess that it was Kaian who crossed the line first.

I was very heartbroken.

I barely had a glimmer of hope when he had a child.

Vermont and Temnes.

I felt like I had found something that would put an end to the enemies who were at each other's throats.

But why is it that small hopes are quickly blown away by even the slightest wind?

Negative thoughts wouldn't be good for the baby, I kept repeating endlessly and my heart broke.

'What's wrong with Kaian?'

He didn't let me have his heart.

However, it was me who liked and loved Kaian more and did not want to move away from him.

So I couldn't ask him.

'What is your relationship with Madame Marcel?'

The words swirled around in my mouth.

But I could never ask that question.

My experience of flinging the arrow of my confession made me the coward I was.

My answer to Kaian's question to me, because I wanted to check his inner thoughts, frustrated me.

'Knowing the truth is not necessarily a good thing.'

I was not confident. I had a feeling that whatever I was going to hear from him wasn't really what I wanted to hear.

I struggled to get my words out and was fatally injured. Experiencing that once tied my tongue.

I would never be able to ask Kaian about becoming a seamstress.

Instead, I tried to control my mind.

'Because Kaian's heart is not mine. It's okay.'

It was unfair that my heart was his, but his heart had no owner.

If Kaian cared about me, he wouldn't have done something like that, at least not in the castle.

Besides, I never said that Kaian would love me if I gave birth to a child.

He just said that he didn't know if anyone would trust me if I gave birth to an heir.

So I tried to think that I didn't have to be hurt by something like this.

I returned to the bedroom after closing the living room door for Madame Marcel to rest, and went to sit by the window.

Under the blue sky, the sun shined unwaveringly even in winter.

Hannah brought fresh tea and snacks to the table. However, even though I felt empty, I lost my appetite and had no desire to eat.

“I think Kaian likes Madame Marcel.”

“... Yes?"

Hannah answered one beat slowly.

“What do you mean?”

“Being a seamstress has to be something I like. But when I said I wanted to change seamstresses, he said he absolutely didn’t want to.”

“Will you replace Madame Marcel with another seamstress?”

This time, Hannah actually jumped up.

“No, I’m just saying that. Kaian said that.”

I said while looking at Hannah.

“You probably heard the rumors, too.”

Hannah's expression clearly revealed that she, too, had heard the rumors going around in the castle.

"No way. That’s a ridiculous rumor.”

“Why doesn’t it make sense?”

“My Lord, does he care so much about you? There is no reason to look elsewhere.”

“He doesn’t hate me, but he doesn’t like me either.”

When the story of the confession in question came up, Hannah kept her mouth shut.

Whenever this story came up, she blamed herself for it being Hannah's fault, so I tried to avoid even mentioning anything related to her.

However, Hannah said that she couldn't say no without any basis, and it was as if one of the two fighting beings in my head had come out, so I ended up putting those words in my mouth without even realizing it.

"Sorry, Hannah. I didn’t mean to blame you.”

I quickly apologized. Hannah was my best friend, and even though I was upset, I didn't want to blame Hannah.

“My Lord, is he sincere with you? You will find out soon.”

“That would be nice.”

What if he doesn't give me a piece of his heart even after the child is born?

Now my worries weren't mine alone.

I even had the question of whether the baby in my womb could become Temnes.

“I hope the Lord returns quickly. He will scold those who talk wildly.”

Hannah said indignantly. Kaian had been out of the castle for the past few days. As soon as Claudel was able to sleep on her own, he went out to inspect the estate, which would take several days. Even thinking about it again, it was still heartbreaking.

"Do not worry. The Lord will definitely resolve everything.”

But Claudel had different thoughts. If he cared enough about Madame Marcel to take sides in front of her, she didn't think he would try to sort out the culprit of this situation.

She knows that Kaian can easily accomplish anything he sets his mind to.

This case was different.

***

In the end, my mind was so complicated that I couldn’t sleep that night.

"Ha."

Even though I lay down, I couldn't sleep and just kept sighing.

“Cough.”

As my cough broke out in one breath, I gently rubbed my chest with ny hand as if massaging it.

At that time, there was a commotion beyond the castle walls.

“What’s going on?”

In the middle of the night, I started hearing the sound of the drawbridge being lowered.

“Is Kaian back?”

I suddenly started crying and missed him.

I can't help it if he likes another woman.

I wanted to make sure that the heart I gave him was in good hands.

However, I, who had roughly put on some clothes and ran half-jumping near the castle gate, stopped in place when she saw the man just coming over the drawbridge.

“What about the doctor?”

“I’ve been waiting for you since a while ago.”

There was an uproar as the knights gathered around the horse Kaian was riding.

Kaian, who got off the horse, had a bandage wrapped around his head, and one cheek and neck were covered in blood.

I ran like crazy and shouted.

“Kaian!”



Previous            Next



   Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments