TPITT - Chapter 14






He was more disappointed than he thought with the Princess he met for the first time.

So, when did he ever have expectations that were the prerequisite for disappointment?

Michael was confused.

Meanwhile, I also saw a hint of disappointment in Michael's eyes.

It wasn't comfortable. I quickly explained.

“I understand your distrust of me as a member of the imperial family. But trust me. I'm not a direct subordinate who will treat you as carelessly as other royal family members have done so far. I didn’t come because I needed a knight.”

“Then you came because you needed something.”

“I need you, Michael. Very desperately. To be precise, there is no need for a knight other than you.”

"What?"

“Only you, Michaelis Agnito, are needed.”

The sincerity that I had confronted over and over again was finally revealed to Michael.

It got there a little bit.

“Why are you choosing me as your direct knight?”

“The reason is a big secret, so I can’t tell you right now. But I will definitely tell you when you become my knight.”

“Then what can you tell me now?”

“To me, Michael, you are an important person, and as important as you are, I will respect you as a knight to the best of my ability. In particular, the power of the engraving, I'm not using power to perform tasks or roles that are humiliating for you.
I will never do anything that is forced upon you. I promise on my name and honor.”

“Well, I guess it’s just a promise.”

I was unable to refute Michael's mocking reply.

Michael's words pointing out that my verbal promise had no binding force were true.

There is a way to make a contract with magical power, but it is a master-slave relationship through 'imprinting'.

The moment it is concluded, it is destroyed.

Engraving is an absolute contract magic that takes precedence over anything else, and at the same time, is the most unfair contract that forces the recipient into an absurd and unreasonable position.

That's why it was even more strange that Michael so naively believed my words.

Because it was an unavoidable situation, I spoke with my shoulders slumped.

"Sorry. All I can say is that you trust me.”

“I guess so..."

Michael responded, saying he wasn't expecting much.

I became even more anxious. Then Michael asked something else.

“But the 7th Princess. After all, my opinion doesn’t really matter to you, does it?”

"Huh?"

“The engraving is like a tattoo that you unilaterally engrave on us. That’s right. I have to reject it if only for your dominance to be outstanding. You won’t have any problem subduing me, right?”

“No. First, I have to ask for your permission. Otherwise, you’re being forced to do it.”

“That is surprising in many ways.”

"What?"

“Surprisingly, you speak as if you are considering my wishes, but if you only accept my wishes, it is as if you are imprinting me. It’s even more surprising that you say it as if it’s not even a problem.”

"Ah."

Only then did I realize the nuance contained in my words.

“You seem confident. You can imprint me, who even the Emperor couldn’t obey?”

Michael asked, pulling the corner of his mouth and smiling.

It was a laugh that was confusing as to whether it was challenging or provocative.

I carefully confessed my true feelings.

“Michael, I think it is possible as long as you don’t reject it with all your might.”

The voice was devoid of any trace of arrogance.

In fact, my innate alchemical talent and mastery were unrivaled even among the royal family.

Moreover, the current me was in a state of reversion with all the achievements of my past life intact.

My attempt to win Michael was by no means a matter of relying on luck and effort alone.

“That’s amazing. I don’t know if you can really imprint me.”

Michael was truly impressed by my confidence.

At that time, I added hastily, as if I had remembered something later.

“But please don’t listen to me in a twisted way. Michael, I'm afraid you might reject it, so I had to ask for permission in advance. It's not like I calculated it. I don't like it, but it's because I don't want to force you. Really."

"Yes. I get it."

“You really don’t, right?”

“Even so.”

“Whew, I guess your personality isn’t as twisted as I thought. Thank God."

"What?"

Michael's expression became strange as he openly heard something that was either an insult or a compliment.

I pretended not to see and grabbed the hem of my dress.

And I spoke with the same courtesy as when asked to dance at a ballroom.

"Please. Be my direct knight, Michael.”

Michael just looked at me. The purple eyes seemed to be assessing something.

Only after a long period of silence did Michael finally blurt out a word.

“I hate the royal family.”

As soon as the word ‘royal family’ was mentioned, Michael’s purple color was instinctive.

Life appeared in his eyes.

I received that gaze without being prepared in advance.

I took a deep breath.

Michael, who saw that, narrowed his eyes and said, “Oh my gosh.”

In his own way, Michael cared about me, and this behavior confused him.

This is because it was not like him to behave softly in front of the royal family, who were the object of hatred and disgust.

'Why am I like this?'

Michael deliberately opened his mouth in a colder tone to hide his nervousness.

“Princess, no matter how different you are from other royal family members, you are still a royal family member. To me, you are the same.”

“... I know."

My voice answered slightly.

It was tied up.

Knowing it in my head and hearing it in person were a bit different.

Michael’s words continued.

“No matter how great the imprint’s magical restraint, even my emotions you can't control it completely. And yet, I was restrained by the object of my hatred.
Do you realize how absurd this relationship is, offering loyalty and devotion that you don’t even have in your heart?”

“I know it’s too much to ask for loyalty or devotion from you. I won't force you to be emotional. You are my direct knight. All you have to do is fill the position and perform the minimum duties. I don't want anything more than that. Promise."

“All I have to do is fill the seats? There is only one person who is as big as Her Royal Highness the Princess. I don’t know why you retreat so far against the homunculus.”

I had nothing to say to Michael for now.

Michael is all homunculus.

The fact that he will awaken as the King of the Homunculus who will exercise dominance over the empire. There is also the fact that I am considering succession to the throne as my second life goal. 

It was still too early to reveal all of this openly.

I just smiled bitterly and was embarrassed.

Michael didn't seem to have any intention of letting go until he heard or found a satisfactory answer.

He continued to make hypotheses along with questioning.

“Having the subversive Homunculus, who hates the royal family, as a direct knight is normal for you to feel reluctant, too. But still, why bother me? Seeing as you are choosing me as your direct knight, do you think you are one of those people?”

"Huh? Something like that?”

“Why isn’t that there? Feeling pleasure from conquering a rebellious opponent .”

“Hey, I’m not a pervert.”

"No?"

"Yes!"

Despite my firm denial, Michael could not easily let go of his suspicions.

After all, there were many people in the imperial family with perverted tastes and hobbies.

Even though the misunderstanding deepened, there was nothing I could do about it since it was due to family history.

I said with a sigh.

“Michael, I will give you all the explanations that you can understand later.”

“You mean after I became a direct knight?”

"Huh. So, please become my direct knight.”

This time, instead of giving a polite bow, I held out my hand in a friendly way, as if I were giving a friend.

Michael stared at my hand for a long time.

The white hands, as if clad in light, looked very warm and soft.

Even though the cave was filled with darkness, it seemed as if light was shining on me.

Perhaps that was why Michael felt the urge to hold my hand.

Michael's eyes were half-lidded.

When you feel thirsty for no reason and swallow dry saliva. Michael was shocked as if he had been surprised by the recoil.

'No. This woman is royal. Comes to my senses.'

I tried not to be fooled by his savior-like appearance.

It was a time when a fierce conflict arose in Michael's mind.

My next words ended his conflict.

“Come out of here with me, Michael.”

For an instant, Michael's breathing stopped.

Michael remained motionless for a long time, as if under a spell that made time stop.

He was just looking at my hand held out in front of him.

“Michael?”

That was when I called him with curiosity.

Michael's handsome face was distorted in pain.

“Something like serving the royal family...I never want to do that. But... Becoming your direct knight is the only way for me to get out of here..."

Michael raised his head and looked up at me. And he let out a painful voice.

“I want to go out. It's okay even if I'm shackled with a seal. Get me out of here.”

Three years of having to endure being imprisoned in a public prison.

Michael's mind was devastated by loneliness rather than hatred or anger toward the imperial family.

His wish to go out and see the world was earnest.

Michael's hands on the floor were shaking.

How many times has he touched the cold iron floor with nothing to hold on to?

It was a pathetic hand that looked like it had been scratched with a fingernail.

I no longer wait for Michael to hold my hand.

I lowered my posture, made eye contact, and grabbed Michael's hand as if wrapping it around me.

"Huh. Let’s go out.”

Warmth flows out from the wrapped hand along with a cozy white light.

It seeped into Michael.


Previous            Next

Comments