IHMEB - Chapter 78 < Overprotection >




"Hannah, have you ever killed someone?”

Hannah's brown eyes widened at the sudden words.

When the village burned down and she lost her family, she vaguely blamed the world and God, but she never thought of hurting anyone.

Oh, except for the Duke of Vermont.

When Hannah found out that Claudel, who was sick with Herzol, was married off to the enemy's family, she was so angry that she said, 'I will kill you,' but she knew that she would never actually put a sword to the Duke of Vermont. 

Wouldn't it be nice if it was limited to strangling someone with her hands until they were about to die?

“Probably not. Then have you ever thought about killing someone?”

“Why are you asking that? Killing people.”

Madame Cronach sighed, looking at the stuttering and bewildered woman.

“The Duke of Temnes is different from ordinary people.”

From the beginning, it was a tree raised to rule over people.

“If I were to hand over thousands or tens of thousands of people’s lives and ask you to decide whether to kill them or save them, would you do it?”

“...”

“He is the one who can decide that.”

A person who can decide whether or not to go to war to kill tens of thousands of Vermonters to protect tens of thousands of Temnes.

He is a noble decision-maker who can push someone's soul into the pit of death for honor and cause as a Lord and head of a duchy.

“Claudel is in love with the Duke of Temnes.”

“My Lord, he also cares a lot about Claudel.”

“My presence will be a burden to her.”

“That can’t be possible. How, how happy she must be.”

Madame Cronach shook her head.

“I can’t ruin what Claudel values ​​most now, without even telling her I'm her mother.”

There was definitely something great about Kaian.

He looked at one or two moves and prepared in advance or dug a trap, but the reason why he did so was unknown to those who sent errands. All you can do is realize it later and think, ‘Oh, this is what happened.’

It was clear that he alone could see the big picture that others could not see.

“If Claudel knew I was her mother, she would want to meet me. I can’t even move from the capital.”

“Auny Leonie.”

“He will definitely notice. After that, things like Claudel's origins will be on the chopping block. The Princess of Vermont was not suitable for this marriage.”

The fact that Claudel was able to put her name on the family as the daughter of the Duke of Vermont was based solely on the fact that she was an early parent.

She believes that if either Evan or Leonie were alive, Claudel would no longer have the status of 'Princess Vermont' and this marriage itself would be in jeopardy.

Still, will Claudel treat her warmly and as ‘her mother’?

It is common for children who have been raised all this time to not listen to what their parents say, saying they are all grown up as soon as their hair grows thick.

She wanted to watch Claudel happy, even from afar, rather than spend her whole life listening to her resentment and living in shame.

“You are rooting for Claudel.”

Madame Cronach held Hannah's hand, who was unable to do either this or that.

“I heard you’re encouraging her to confess?”

"I am. I guess I did something for nothing.”

In Hannah's view, she thought that Claudel was ignoring her honest feelings.

She wants to be happy and receive plenty of love that is given to her with peace of mind.

It was heartbreaking to see her anxious, saying no matter what Kaian did, she denied it, saying it wasn't like that, and wondering when this good thing might end.

Claudel and Hannah were children who deserved to have been raised with the attention and affection of their parents.

She grew up without receiving the warmth she should have received and seemed to show her lack, and it was none of her business whenever Claudel showed such signs. Hannah was no different from Claudel.

So she just wished Claudel well, and that she could get along better.

Her heart was heavy because she felt like her words had caused a separation between a mother and a daughter.

“Thank you for being by Claudel’s side.”

Madame Cronach hugged Hannah and comforted her as she stood blankly, seemingly regretful.

“You need more time. There's no need to be in a hurry. If you do well, there will be opportunities.”

"Yes."

Hannah felt as if Madame Cronach had said that to ease her own guilt.

Somehow she felt like the day would never come when she would come forward and say she was Claudel's mother.

Madame Cronach was right.

If Claudel's status became unstable, the problem could have escalated.

One way or another.

She was emotionally pushing Madame Cronach to come forward and say it, but why is everything she does like this?

T Claudel and to Aunt Leonie.

In the end, Hannah nodded slightly and hugged Madame Cronach.

After a while, she returned to the royal castle, carefully holding the dried tea that Madame Cronach had brought her.

Every time the carriage shook, the chubby bundle in her arms rustled and gave off a nice smell.

“It smells like Flogne.”

The scent coming from the tea bundle wrapped in stiff paper was a feeling of longing.

Hannah shook her head gently to clear her sad expression.

***

The next day was clear, even for winter weather.

I stuck my hand out the window of the carriage. My fingertips quickly became cold due to the cold wind blowing against my palm, but it was a feeling that vaguely stimulated my heart.

The winter in the capital was a winter worth enjoying.

Well, if there is a winter that you don't enjoy, there is it.

'If it's just this much, I'll be able to live really well.'

The winter at Valmonde's estate was nothing compared to this cold.

Winter in the capital lasted about three months at most.

For Valmonde, the ground was frozen for half a year, which was much longer than that, and the cold that arrived early gradually increased in intensity, reaching a point where frost formed around the edges of my nostrils when I breathed.

Many people in the Valmonde estate had never seen flowers in full bloom in their lives.

Most flowers and plants grow with the help of the sun.

It was difficult to see it in the tundra, where it was only moss or shrubland at best.

When territory residents moved to another territory, they always needed a travel permit.

Since the size of a territory depended on the number of residents, people were tied up in Vermont, which was sensitive as a pioneer in a barren land.

Valmonde was very closed-minded.

Even Irena, the most revered woman in the estate except the Duchess of Vermont, said that the first trip she was allowed to make in her life was to the Castle of Rowen to see her married sister.

I diligently took in the sights unfolding outside the carriage.

Funny enough, every time I saw or heard something good, I thought of the people living in the land of Valmonde, who had no desire to go back because all I had was my wounds.

These are the people who were starving and stretched out their hands like dry branches, begging me to do something.

I didn't cry much after my parents died.

My eyes felt sore as if I was about to cry, or tiny teardrops formed, but I had never cried so hard that tears flowed.

Maybe it was because my parents passed away and I shed all the tears I would ever shed.

That's what I thought to myself.

Perhaps I may have loved the people of Valmonde very much. When I thought of them, I felt like crying.

When I went to the village to serve, there was a lifeless, skinny child. Her mothers wrapped the baby in swaddling clothes, as small and light as a straw doll, and she presented it to me.

'To the child... I bless you.'

Even if you give away the jewels or money you have, there is no way to avoid starvation.

It was Temnes' fault for blocking the export of grain that created a spider web over the mountain's mouth.

I wanted to offer my body to these people and help them avoid hunger.

The Duke of Vermont said he did so because he thought I would die of herzol, but in fact, I would have headed to Temnes even if I had not had herzol if I had been able to solve the food problem.

'It would be nice if everyone could come and enjoy this wonderful season freely.'

It was her fault that she was born as if she were trapped in a closed land. The Valmonde estate did not pay any estate taxes to the Oberon royal family, so it was no different from an independent country. So it was more difficult to get to and from the capital.

While I was lost in thought, I left the capital and arrived at my destination after an hour-long carriage ride.

In the open grassland with no obstructions on all sides, I saw several buildings built with logs stacked to resemble a mountain ranger's hut.

Holderley Round was famous as a royal hunting ground.

There are several reasons why this place is famous. The first is that it has often appeared as the background for royal scandals in the past, and the second is that it has hot springs that are effective for skin and neuralgia.

The interior of the three-story log cabin, which appeared to be roughly built, was extremely luxurious. It was a building built solely to create the feeling that the King was hunting in the capital area, which was a plain area with no mountains.

It is even said that one of the Kings a few generations older enjoyed the hot springs so much that the court ministers carried their official duties on a carriage and traveled back and forth between the castle and Holderley Round several times a day.

Kaian looked at the tent pitched and the busy scene outside and opened his mouth.

“Nothing has changed here.”

“Did you come here often?”

“When my mother was alive.”

The death of the previous Duke and Duchess of Temnes was a turning point in Kaian's life.

Before that, he was the heir, and after that, he was the matriarch.

I did not ask any more questions. Instead, I decided to change the subject lightly.

“Then it must have been a long time since you came.”

“That’s right. For a moment. Are you saying you’re going to walk around wearing just that?”

Kaian frowned when he saw me quickly getting out of the carriage.

"I can not?"

I wore a thin woolen dress that reached my ankles to make it easier for me to walk, and it was double-padded inside and very warm.

“Didn’t you bring a coat or cape?”

“It’s there, but it’s not that cold.”

“Put it on.”

Kaian lifted his clothes with a forced expression.

“It’s not cold.”

“It must be an illusion.”

He concluded that the cold I felt was a 'misunderstanding' and put his coat on me and wrapped me with a cloak over it.

“It’s hard to move when I wear it like this.”

“What’s the point of you moving? It’s not like I’m going to hunt.”

With a stern attitude, he pulled the strings of his cloak and tied them into a ribbon shape.

“Herzol also has aftereffects. If you catch a cold, do you have to go buffalo hunting again?”

I became quiet at his cold tone.

“My throat feels empty.”

“This is enough.”

“Cape. Isn’t there a cape or something?”

Madame Marcel, who was watching from the carriage next to me, quickly offered .e a covering from my head to my shoulders. Hannah standing next to her holding a scarf was a bonus.

"Hmm. I wonder if this is enough.”

... I think it will be hot.

It was time for me to rack my brain as to how I could take off the cape and cloak.

“ You said, ‘Let’s see.’ It’s really like I can’t see you.”

The voice of His Majesty the King rang out like a savior.

“Your Majesty the King.”

"Your Majesty."

Everyone surrounding the place simultaneously bowed and bowed their heads to Valquiterre.

“It’s been a while since I heard the news that the Duke arrived. You made me wait to get dressed.”

"My wife is weak, so I can’t help it...”

Valquiterre cut off Kaian's words.

“You seem overprotective.”


Previous            Next



Comments