IHMEB - Chapter 63 < The Lord's Fifteenth Wife >

<

'But I wouldn't be able to have children.'

The health of women who would produce heirs was very important in arranged marriages between nobles.

However, I was a stone woman.

Herzol was a disease that greatly eroded her body's energy. It is a disease that kills people by causing them to die.

When the Duke of Vermont, who found out that I was sick, tried to persuade me that it would be good to save nyself who was going to die anyway, my menstruation stopped. Even before receiving the royal command from King Oberon.

Few people recovered from a serious illness that caused them to painfully scrape out their insides and vomit blood every time they breathed or coughed, and even if they did, most of them had aftereffects.

It was reported that although the disease was cured, the pain continued every time one took a breath or the body's strength did not return.

Luckily, I recovered well and did not have a bad prognosis for my cardiopulmonary problems, but it seemed like I would have a hard time having children, as the story goes. Even after I got better, my periods did not start again.

'If I fails to bear an heir, Kaian must be married to another woman.'

If he could not have children from his wife, it was acceptable for him to bring in his mistress for that reason.

If the head of the family liked entertainment and enjoyed women, it was something that others would talk about, but if it was said that it was to have children because hiswife could not produce an heir, everyone would consider a barren woman, and such a daughter to a precious family. They pointed and cursed at the family of the woman he married.

They are unscrupulous people trying to cut off other people's families.

Not being able to have children for several years was also one of the legitimate grounds for divorce. How dare you make the successor to a famous family a concubine?

In the end, if I could not bear a child, even if ny love with my husband was good, I would divorce and go to a monastery or something.

Because for that reason, it was considered a bad thing for a divorced daughter to return to her family.

Once she was branded as an unlucky woman, she had no choice but to return to her family.

Then, she donates a certain amount of money, either from her ex-husband or from the woman's family, to the monastery and entrusts it to her care.

'In the end, is the monastery the place I should go?'

Originally, I thought I would be treated coldly by Kaian, then shunned and kicked out.

A person was a being who could not see one inch ahead.

The fact that I was going to die was so great that it took away my time to think and look at everything else, and I was discouraged as I fumbled to fill the void.

Caring about Kaian kept hitting me somewhere.

I felt as if I love for him, which had seemed to be floating on a calm sea with a favorable wind a moment ago, had become caught on a reef and was stranded.

The scenery of the village where colorful flowers were grown on the plastered white walls, the pleasant breeze that gently passed by them, and the feeling that it was good to be with them all lost their meaning.

“This is my first time asking about your parents.”

Because they talked while walking slowly, he did not notice that I was depressed.

“I think you will become a parent who asks whether your child will come or not.”

“Why?”

“How are you feeling?”

A shadow fell over my mind as I casually imagined a child who looked like him.

Once I felt remorse and realized that I was deceiving Kaian, I felt like I was sitting on a cushion of thorns.

'I want to have his heart.'

What a worry it was to be full.

But since Kaian had saved a poor girl's life like me, I wanted to rely on his generosity in saving the daughter of his enemy, even just for a moment.

Because I hadn't been this warm since my parents died.

If there came a time when I had to leave his side due to my own flaws, I hoped that I could feel warmth by staying like this, even just for a little while.

Then, for the rest of my life, I might be able to cherish and cherish the warmth left in my memories like embers left in a bonfire.

“Why are you making such a serious face?”

“It’s not serious.”

“There is no need to be that serious about the education of unborn children. Anyway, I have thin ears.”

It was a big deal because even the words that came at me as if scolding me now felt friendly rather than scary.

“Kaian.”

I called the name of the man with the heat like the sun.

"Why?"

“There is a lot of open space and quite a few people passing by, so if I say I want to kiss you here, you’ll think I’m an impertinent woman, right?”

Kaian stopped his steps at my words.

“Why do you think so negatively?”

“This is your territory. Everyone looks up to you, the Lord.”

Unlike before, I believed that the reason for stealing attention was because of Kaian. Because he never thought that seeing red hair for the first time in a land ruled by black-haired blood relatives would be even more amazing.

“From now on, develop the habit of thinking and speaking positively.”

“For example?”

“If I say I want to kiss you here, you’ll like it.”

His strong arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me close.

Kaian muttered as he lowered his head under the shade of the small parasol that I was carrying.

“Is there really something in your head? It will be difficult if you teach my child something strange later.”

"Yes."

As I muttered, our lips were gently pressed together, unlike ny speaking tone. The more I kissed him, the more addicted I became.

Under the shade of a small parasol, we left memories of our trip.

***

That evening, Hannah and Madame Marcel, who were attending to me in the room of the inn where Claudel was staying, praised Kaian until their mouth went dry.

The reason was not just the beef cooked on a skewer and the quail that was so fatty that it soaked the pie, which they tasted at the table next to the Lord.

“My Lord, he really care about his wife.”

Madame Marcel echoed Hannah's words.

“It’s going to be really chaotic when we get to the capital. Everyone will know that the Duke is just as cold and annoying to women as before.”

The two people who saw the relationship between Kaian and Claudel up close were excited.

“Does he bother women?”

It was rumored in the castle of Valmonde that he changed women every day.

When I knew I was going to die soon, it didn't matter either way, and after I realized that I liked Kaian, I wondered if he was seeing other women or not, but I can't ask nyself that, right?

'How many lovers have you had?'

I heard that he hangs out with girls every night. It's been about two years since he returned from the battlefield. So, did he have relationships with about 700 girls?

How can I ask him something like this?

Even ne, who thought Kaian was the epitome of eccentricity and had no idea what was going on in my head, knew that I couldn't ask that.

When I seemed curious about Kaian's rumors, Madame Marcel quickly answered.

"Sure. The Lord doesn’t really like events like balls.”

"Yes?"

“If His Majesty calls him ten times, he should consider coming to the capital at least once.”

“He is very busy. He probably couldn’t visit the capital often because he had a lot of work to do at the estate.”

“What are you talking about? There is a way where there is a will. Is it common for nobles who enjoy socializing and entertainment to buy mansions in the capital and leave the management of their estates to their vassals?”

Well, Madame Marcel was right.

If you liked playing, you would run to it even if you weren't called.

It was highly likely that the reason he didn't go even when called was because he didn't like it that much.

“And because he didn’t ask anyone to dance at the dance. The heartache of women in the capital was not normal.”

"Really?"

In romance novels, don't they usually end up dancing and talking, leading to a night out?

Although I was a wallflower, I knew it in theory.

“Nowadays, it is rare to find a handsome groom like the Duke in the kingdom.”

“I think I heard that story.”

Vermont's daughter was not active in the capital's social circles, so we was a step back from such rumors.

However, since the Duke of Vermont's lament while looking for a marriage partner for Irena was that 'there is not a single decent person,' I knew that the atmosphere was disturbed by the fact that young men were taken away and killed during the war.

“The nobles even asked His Majesty the King to allow polygamy by law.”

“Did something like that happen?”

The Kingdom of Oberon was legally monogamous.

Other relationships are not protected.

That was the reason why man divorced his wife who could not bear children.

That the heir of the family cannot be made out of wedlock.

So most of them split up, risking an uncomfortable relationship due to an arranged marriage and a broken marriage with the woman's family.

“It’s a marriage that everyone gets to do once in their lives. They want to find a wonderful husband.”

Is there a girl in the world who thinks she will get married multiple times?

I did not have great expectations about my marriage.

Irena will take his husband to become the Lord and Lady of Valmonde, but since Vermont was originally a master of diplomacy based on the marriage, I think she will marry a nobleman from a distant continent or wherever her uncle chooses to go anyway.

My marriage to Kaian wasn't much of a departure from that.

“Polygamy. If you do something like that, wouldn’t you want to become the Lord’s fifteenth wife?”

I asked Hannah as if I was dumbfounded, and Madame Marcel laughed out loud.

"That's right. So they opposed it. They told me not to talk nonsense and they grabbed me by the collar and fought with me.”

“The world of nobles is also fierce.”

Hannah, who was giggling, asked me.

“How does it feel to be the wife of such a person, Lady?"

“Whatever. I have no idea.”

“Why don’t you have any ideas? This man is your husband! You can feel superior among noble ladies.”

I sighed.

“He’s my husband, but he’s not on my side.”

Here we go again.

Above my head, Hannah and Madame Marcel's eyes crossed.

Aren't they the supporters who hope that Claudel, who has stolen her husband's heart and sighs that it is not so, will quickly accept reality?

Their Lord is a man who has it all, but he has not been able to gain the trust of his wife.

Although he committed many sins.

Madame Marcel was so frustrated that she only revealed to Hannah the compensation she had been promised at Rowrn Castle. After hearing the amount, Hanna could feel Kaian's sincerity through her numbers.

However, Madame Marcel, who heard from Hannah about Claudel's experiences after she came to Rowen Castle, expressed the opinion that she would not be able to open her heart to the Lord easily.

Hannah had actually thought about running away from Rowen, taking Claudel with her, so she eventually convinced herself that the relationship between Claud and his husband could not be resolved any further.

However, her loyalty to the Lord cannot be tolerated as she has decided to give her soul to Temnes.

"Lady, I have decided on that wish.”

Hannah had previously won a bet on whether Kaian would fall for Irena or not, but she had not yet told Claud her wish.

"What? Say it. It has to be something I can do. You know?"

"Sure!"

Hannah said triumphantly.

“Confess the Lord that you like him.”


Previous                Next



        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments