IHMEB - Chapter 54 < Be Generous with Beautiful Things >

<

“Not once. Three times..."

How will I endure it after that?

'Nonsense! How can I tolerate that?'

I couldn't argue.

...Kaian is so good.

Looking back at my life after losing my parents and being pushed into an unfamiliar castle, there was a lot to be thankful for, but I was never happy.

So I understood Hannah's obsession with me.

This is because the fire that completely burned down my hometown village, where I was born and raised, did not allow even the slightest bit of something to be remembered.

There was no problem eating or dressing.

I was all able to take the classes that Valmonde's Princess, Irena, was taking and learning together.

No one stopped me from coming and going into the castle, and no one scolded me for staying in the library and reading the books.

But no one to give life to me.

The Duke and Duchess of Vermont, who became my adoptive parents, were very busy. Unlike the Duke of Vermont, the Duchess tried to treat me kindly, but she could not treat me in the same way as she treated her own daughter, Irena.

Raising Irena meant raising her children, and taking care of me was probably her 'job' to take care of her nephew, whom she had added to her family register.

To me, Hannah was a very precious friend and we had a special bond that could not be replaced by anything.

Even Hannah did not truly care for me but took care of me for herself.

The shock of the fire in the village was so great that she could not live without me, so she found her own way to life and gave meaning to her life to me.

Even at the age of only ten, I understood Hannah's position, which was different from mine, ase I was able to be left at my uncle's house.

I realized that I had become the only person left in Hannah's relationship with me and in ten-year-old Hannah's world.

It was thought that the affection that overflowed from the heart, not for any reason, was something other than what parents gave their children.

No matter how much we are precious to each other, I couldn't be Hannah's parent, and just as Hannah couldn't be a father and mother to me.

I felt that loss even more clearly because I lost my parents.

Kaian is clearly the head of Temnes, the enemy of Vermont.

He treated me coldly and pitifully because I was the daughter of his enemy.

I found hope in Rowen Castle, which I thought would be the final destination of my ill-fated life.

I had never imagined that it would be this person, but before I knew it, I had grown to like him this much.

Although Kaian used to blurt out harsh words with a stern and cold expression that had become ingrained in him.

His hand comforting me was warm and attentive.

Even though he indifferently scolded me or acted like he was angry, later on, he would quietly fill in my shortcomings.

My empty closet, my jewelry box full.

Even though he promised to leave something for me every day, he secretly cut my favorite dish and put it on my empty plate.

My husband, who I thought would be as good as anyone else, hugs me warmly every day and puts me to sleep when I am hungry and in need of warmth.

I hugged Kaian tightly.

I held the man's bouncing body as if he had just ripped my heart out of my body with as much force as he could muster.

It was the same for me who couldn't do it once.

***

An untimely incident occurred in a crowded square.

Immediately after the dance announcing the start of the festival, the Lord and his wife disappeared.

“When the dance was over, the Lord's wife looked a little unwell.”

"Yes. It seems like the Lord is holding her and supporting her.”

While everyone was whispering, a huge cart covered with waxed paper appeared in the center of the square.

It was a huge cake made by grinding wheat from the first harvest of this fall, mixing sour stewed apples with pork fat, and baking them.

It was time for all the people gathered in the square to whet their appetites at the arrival of a delicacy that was grilled to a crispier texture than butter and could only be eaten once a year at the fall festival.

The person who went up to the stage wearing a stylish hat with a large feather was the butler of the Lord's castle, Baron Colon.

A long-time vassal of the Duke of Temnes, he was also a powerful figure in the Irowen fiefdom, holding the title of Baron.

He shouted towards the square where the commotion had died down.

“Today, we have a feast to enjoy the abundance of heaven and earth that has descended upon the Rowen domain!”

Yeaaaah!

Everyone cheered at the butler’s words.

“You may have heard the rumors, but it hasn’t been long since Madam overcame a serious illness. Even Valmonde’s vicious illness, which was about to freeze to death, could not survive in our land of Rowen and disappeared!”

When the knowledgeable butler grabbed Valmonde by the hair, the residents of the Rowen estate began to get excited.

“That’s right!”

“Herzol? It’s a disease like that, unheard of in Rowen!”

“This is the land of the sun!”

"Quiet!"

The butler continued speaking.

“Madam has been working hard to prepare for the festival due to her insistence on continuing Rowen’s traditions. Herzol ends only when one villager is annihilated! With love for our Rowen estate, who helped us overcome this! She attended the festival despite the doctor’s dissuasion in a body that has not yet recovered!”

Oh, my.

That can't be possible.

That kind of thing happened.

A sigh broke out among the noisy residents of the territory.

Hannah, who was watching the eloquent butler from the side, was truly impressed.

‘Wow. Oh my God. Could it be that one of your ancestors was Vermont?'

It was time for her to admire the competence of the butler.

“So, I will have Miss Hannah Pebble, Madame’s maid from Valmonde, help me cut the cake today. Miss Hannah?”

"Yes?"

Startled by the butler's glance telling her to jump up, she quickly climbed onto the platform.

“Say something.”

Hannah opened her eyes wide and made an angry expression, then lowered her voice and asked the butler briefly,

“What do you say?”

“Just mix in some cursing about Valmonde.”

Alright. Hannah understood right away.

In fact, every year from the time she was ten to the age of twenty, she heard the Duke of Vermont, who was excited at Valmonde's fall festival, mainly swearing at Temnes on the stage.

It seems that things have become more extreme since the drought period.

Hannah climbed up to the podium took over the cone-shaped loudspeaker and cleared her throat.

“I was born in Valmonde, but I will live as a servant of Temnes to my soul!”

Waaaa!

“I will serve the great Lord, Duke of Temnes, for the rest of my life, and I will serve him and his successors for generations to come, and be buried in the land of Rowen!”

Waaaaaaa!

The sincere cry of a young and powerful woman touched the hearts of the Rowen Territory residents.

“Goodbye to the skinny Valmonde’s unraveling! Rowen food is the most delicious in the world!”

Yes!

What do you know?

While Hannah was unable to contain her excitement, several of Temnes' collateral blood relatives ascended the stage at the deacon's nomination.

Hannah held up the huge cake knife the length of her arm with both of her hands.

“Yaaaaaaap!”

Hanna, who was training her arm strength to protect her Claudel without anyone noticing, cut a huge chunk of cake that was as long as an adult's waist exactly in half.

The square was silent for a moment, but soon it was filled with loud cheers.

Wow!

“There will be a good harvest next year!”

“Giggles! It’s pretty good!”

“You have spirit. If you are to serve Temnes, this must be in order!”

The butler patted Hannah's shoulder with a warm expression as she blinked her eyes in her cheers.

“If you cut the cake in half at once, it means that you will have a good harvest next year.”

“Oh, no, not like that.”

“I was worried because the Lord was away. It saved me a lot of trouble. Good job.”

"Ah. Yes. Ha ha ha."

Hannah laughed awkwardly among the cheering crowd.

Other Temnes collaterals participated in the fireworks lighting ceremony.

Several men with jet-black hair, a symbol of Temnes, came forward and lit a large cannon filled with explosives with bat-sized torches. The wick burned, making a tremendous noise, and the pyrotechnics flew into the sky, exploding and lighting up the sky.

As the festival reached its peak, a large barrel of alcohol, this time as tall as an adult, began to roll into the middle of the crowd, with everyone clapping their hands to the beat.

It was a sight to see the large brewery workers, with their feet synchronized to the beat as if they were dancing, standing in a row and rolling three barrels that could be the size of a small barn.

Since the Lord was staying at the castle out of concern for his wife, the person who had the honor of having the first drink was Madame Marcel, who had come from the capital as the new seamstress at Eowen Castle.

She was excited to hear that in Rowen, it was customary for new people who entered the castle to greet them at festivals to make themselves known to the residents.

“Ho ho ho, everyone! Nice to meet you! I am the one who made the amazing dress the Madam wore when she danced today!”

Wow.

Wow.

This time, Madam Marcel especially heard voices of exclamation from women.

“I’m really looking forward to living in Rowen! If any girls want to learn sewing, please apply to the castle!”

Madame Marcel, who had neatly finished promoting the recruitment of workers, uncorked the barrel of the glass handed to her by the butler and skillfully caught the drink that poured out as if it were bursting.

“Let’s drink! Rowen!”

Madame Marcel excitedly raised her glass and drank it down in one go.

As she downed her glass, her eyes met that of the butler, who was holding out his hand.

"Ah?"

“It is customary to share drinks.”

"Ah. Haha, sorry."

The butler pretended to drink the empty cup handed to him and waved to the residents of the territory.

Thanks to the Baron's outstanding performance, the absence of the Lord and Madam was overlooked as the festival progressed, but in fact, it was not that important to the residents of the territory.

Since ancient times, while the Lord was saying something, the village bachelors who had caught their eye were flirting with each other, and the men, who were happy to see it, were getting their wives' sides pinched and saying something else.

What is important to them is the feast food, alcohol, singing, and dancing that they will eat to their heart's content at the festival.

And for some, it is a deviation brought on by alcohol.

Something like that.

Today, the place was noisy with the story of the Lord's wife.

“I’ve never seen someone so beautiful.”

"Yes. I was wondering what kind of person a person like our Lord would end up with.”

“She was a beauty that was out of this world.”
Originally, public sentiment was tolerant of beautiful things.

They can’t believe that such a dazzlingly beautiful person is their Lord’s wife!

That such a person's disease was completely cured in their land of Rowen!

And she gets along very well with their Lord. They are sure the baby boy who will be born as the heir will look forward to it if it resembles the two of them.

The residents fell in love with the Lord's wife whom they saw for the first time.

“Wasn’t there a rumor that she was a withered flower that got hit by the rain?”

"No way. In that heavy rain at that time. I don’t even remember that half of the seed storage was washed away.”

"But. It’s even more surprising that she was healthy after getting hit by that rain.”

"No! It’s all fake!”

A new voice was heard through the voices praising Claudel's beauty.

“She didn’t really look like that! I saw it!”

When the few people who were talking turned around, there was a woman with black hair and blue eyes standing there.

“By stealing the Lord’s wife’s ring...”

"Shh. You're a crazy woman. If that thing comes out, there will be an uproar. damage. It’s best to avoid it.”

People were disgusted and quietly avoided the place.

"Really! I was prettier!”

No one listened to Antjone's words.

“Kaian, he is being deceived.”


Previous                Next



        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments