IHMEB - Chapter 31 < I Will Hug You >

IHMEB - Chapter 31 < I Will Hug You >

Having An Enemy's Baby




“...Insomnia?"

“That doesn’t mean it’s not healthy or anything like that. I just can’t sleep well.”

As Kaian raised his eyebrows, Claudel shrugged her shoulders and looked at him.

“As long as you sleep well, you are very healthy. It was like that before I got Herzole.”

Claudel spoke as if making excuses.

It was as if she was worried that Kaian would find fault with her.

When he saw such a woman, the heat that seemed to explode a moment ago slowly subsided.

“Why can’t you sleep? You can’t sleep alone?”

"That is...”

The expression disappeared from Claudel's face.

“Ever since I first came to Castle Valmonde.”

“Didn’t you grow up all the time in the Castle of Valmonde?”

"Yes?"

When she opened her eyes wide as if she was rather surprised, Kaian felt like it was a mistake.

From Kaian's point of view, it was a forced marriage, and besides, Valquiterre had already forcibly given him the King's command.

He married Claudel without even getting to know her properly because nothing struck him other than the fact that his partner was Vermont, who would burn him down.

It was so early in the night that he couldn't remember her name so he asked her about it.

He didn't know much about Claudel being registered as the Duke's adoptive daughter, but he didn't think it was important either.

He even went so far as to say that sending the Duke of Vermont's niece, who was registered as his adoptive daughter, as Kaian's bride, rather than his beloved biological daughter, included the King's intention to turn a blind eye to his divorce or break-up of his engagement.

Because of his poor memory, an answer that did not fit the situation popped out.

"Ah. You became the Duke’s adopted daughter because of your parents, so you must have lived somewhere else until then.”

“... Yes."

Claudel didn't seem to be offended by Kaian's hasty redress.

'After losing her mother in an accident, her father voluntarily left a will saying he would go to his wife's side.'

The image of a tiny girl left alone at a young age was drawn over the woman who seemed to be violating his prosecution.

“I haven’t been able to sleep well since my parents died, that’s why.”

"That's right."

Claudel agreed to his words.

"Come on."

She raised her head and looked at him.

“Shouldn’t you sleep?”

Kaian went to the bed first and lay down, and Claudel hesitantly approached him.

That kind of thing seemed a little cute to him.

Whenever she asks him if he can come every night.

She finds it awkward to lie down with him.

When Kaian lay down and held out his hand, she carefully took his hand and lay down on the bed.

“Just sleep for now.”

As he tried to pull her hand away, Claudel grabbed Kaian's arm with both hands.

“Can’t we sleep holding hands?”

"What?"

“I need to feel someone's body's temperature to sleep well.”

“Then how did you sleep at Castle Valmonde?”

“Hannah slept with me at that time. I sleep holding her hand.”

Kaian sighed through his nose.

Claudel must have thought this had a negative meaning, so she let go of his arm that she was holding on to.

“Oh, no. Good night."

"Come on."

He turned to the side and stretched out his arms, and in the moonlight, the golden interior flickered vividly in the darkness, like that of a wild animal.

“I’ll hug you.”

Then Claudel crouched down as if she was hesitating, then slowly came into his arms and lay down with her arms around him.

At that moment, Kaian felt a tingling in his heart.

The heart inside his body itched as if it had been gently swept by an ostrich-haired fan.

The woman who placed her forehead on his chest fell asleep in an instant.

Kaian sighed as he saw dark shadows under her closed eyes that were not there when she was sick.

“You can’t sleep?”

She slept with Hannah holding her hand.

Still, he is her husband, but he cannot be on the same level as her maid, who has become a faithful servant of Temnes.

He offered to hug her because of such childish thoughts, but after holding her in his arms, he saw that there was nothing bad about it either.

'If I come here every day, something will change.'

Anyway, Claudel was the first to suggest that we sleep together every night.

Kaian closed his eyes, inhaling the woman's scent rising from his arms.

***

The morning I woke up after a good night’s sleep looked brighter and more beautiful than usual.

When I opened my eyes, Kaian was not next to me, but I was lazily dozing off in bed.

“You really came.”

It made me happy that a man with a cold face and an angry expression at all times listened to what I had to say without ignoring it.

He, Kaian, was my benefactor.

The days I am alive and breathing now were a life I was able to enjoy thanks to him providing me with medicine.

With that fact alone, I thought to myself that even if he treated me coldly and scolded me, I couldn't help but feel like or appreciate him.

After realizing that Kaian's personality could only be expressed that way, he didn't seem so scary.

At first, even when he raised his eyebrows towards his forehead in disapproval, I felt nervous, as if my liver was shrinking.

“...I hugged him.”

I would have been grateful if he had just held my hand.

If he hadn't offered his hand, I would have waited for him to fall asleep and then quietly put my arms around him.

In any case, I can sleep only if I have someone's body temperature next to me.

However, although I was surprised because I had no idea that I would be hugged like that, I fell asleep due to the heat I felt in the man's arms and the sense of security given by the strong arms wrapped around my body.

After sleeping well for the first time in a few days, I felt as if I had been rescued from hell with a net and lifted up to heaven, feeling light in body and mind.

"What do I do. I think I’m going to like that person.”

My cheeks blushed as I thought of Kaian.

For months after falling ill with no hope of recovery, I prepared for my death.

The act of tidying up the things around me was a regret for my life.

At first, I was confused as to why he saved my life when I had lied to him and got married.

I thought I was going to die then, but it was nice to be alive, but it was also embarrassing.

I was not at all prepared to live in the Rowen lands of Temnes.

Here, while I should have been thinking about my life as a Duchess and Kaian's wife, I was contemplating in my mind what to write in my will and what to engrave on my tombstone.

Unlike when Kaian asked me, 'Did you come here to die?', I didn't seem to care about that part.

Rather than complaining to Vermont about the Duchess's lack of awareness until now because he thought I was going to die, didn't he quietly spend money to maintain my dignity?

“It might be difficult to hope that you like me.”

Kaian was preparing for a territorial war to annihilate Vermont.

I knew how bad Kaian felt about Vermont.

Because I too grew up in Vermont with her hostility toward Temnes.

There was nothing wrong with the fact that everyone in the Castle of Rowen treated me coldly and did not hide their hatred for Vermont, and everyone in the Castle of Valmonde had the same dislike for Temnes.

I could hear them swearing on both sides, only changing the subject.

But until I was quite grown up, and even after being married to Vermont, I did not have the wherewithal to nourish my anger towards Temnes.

Because my parents' work itself was such a big ordeal.

Meanwhile, it was very fortunate that Kaian did not persecute me or treat me harshly.

Just by saving my life, I was starting to like him.

Plus, he was a very handsome and nice guy.

If my husband wasn't particularly cruel to me, wouldn't it be a problem since I secretly liked him while we were married?

When I thought about it up to this point, there was a problem.

“It seemed like my uncle was planning to fight him if I die.”

I did not think much about what would happen after my death.

When the great lord of Temnes was dragged away to a forced marriage by royal order. There was nothing I could change in power.

However, I remembered that the Duke of Vermont had said several times, ‘King Oberon is on my side too’ and ‘King Oberon will help me defeat Temnes.’

“That can’t be possible. It doesn’t make sense.”

Valquiterre, the current King Oberon, was a royal Prince born to Queen Silvia.

Kaian's mother, Lady Elise, the ancestral Duchess of Temnes, was a biological sister, and King Oberon and Kaian were half-cousins.

Why would such a King take Vermont’s side?

I, who had accepted the day of my death, did not care either way, so whenever the Duke of Vermont talked about my marriage and talked about what he would do with Temnes after my death, I kept my mouth shut and said nothing.

But what variables are responsible for my unexpected life?

Now, I was afraid and worried that the Duke of Vermont might harm Kaian.

I got out of bed, put on a robe over my pajamas, and went to sit in front of the desk.

I had never used the furniture in the Duchess' room properly since I had been confined to bed due to illness, but as I sat down at the elegant, old-fashioned desk, I felt good and hopeful for the days I would live here from now on.

I took out paper and a pen from the desk drawer, thought about it, and then began to write a short message to send a telegram.

Rowen and Valmonde were located at the end of the Kingdom, so it would have taken more than fifteen days to reach them by horseback, but thanks to telegraphs using signals, short messages could be delivered within a day for a large sum of money.

[Herzole is cured. Restoring my health. I get along well with my husband. I think we can send more food to Valmonde.]

“Is this enough?”

I told the Duke of Vermont that the relationship between me and Kaian was fine, and if I did not die, I thought he would figure it out somehow, whether he gave up on the plan he had been crying out for, saying, 'After you die, I will be judged for putting your precious blood to death.' heard.

"Lady. What made you wake up so early?”

Hannah came into the room, smiling.

“I wonder if you couldn’t sleep again ...”

"No. I slept well yesterday because the Duke came.”

"Oh. The Lord slept here.”

"Hannah. I have a favor to ask.”

I handed out a money bag and a folded piece of paper with a message written on it.

“Would you please go and send a telegram to Valmonde?”

"Yes. When should I go?”

"Now. Please come back now.”

I sighed as Hannah left the room.

After resolving what was bothering me, I felt much relieved.

***

As the season changed from late summer to early fall, white frost fell early in the morning around the castle of Valmonde.

The scene of ice powder gently layering on green moss that still had summer light was a northern seasonal scene.

"Telegram? A telegram?”

When he heard that a telegram addressed to him had arrived from Rowen, the Duke of Vermont snatched the letter from his subordinate's hand, wondering if he had finally received the news he had been waiting for.

'It looks like Claudel's condition may have worsened.'

He quickly opened the letter, looking at the letter 'Hannah Pebble' written in the sender's name.

However, it was Claudel, not Hannah, who sent the telegram.

[Herzole is cured. Restoring my health. I get along well with my husband. I think we can send more food to Valmonde.]

In addition, unbelievably, it was said that Claudel did not die and Herzole was cured.

"This happens. Herzol is healed!”

Besides, she gets along well with that kid named Kaian?

The Duke of Vermont frowned deeply and tapped his index finger on his desk.

Finally, he raised his head and shouted out the door.

“You there.”

"Yes. My lord.”

“Go and call Irena.”

A moment later, Irena entered his office, tilting her head at her father's sudden call.

"Father. Did you call me?”

"Yes."

“Why are you looking for me at a time like this?”

The Duke of Vermont smiled at his daughter's words and said.

“You should go to Rown, Irena. If you like it, you can stay there forever.”



Previous                            Next



        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

  1. And here I thought the Duke treated Claudel like his own daughter

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment