TVTLQ- Chapter 37

TVTLQ- Chapter 37

The Villainess Wants To Live Quietly



"I'm OK. It's really nice to be able to stop suddenly like this and enjoy the scenery outside, right? It's an unexpected picnic. it's something different."

"But isn't the lady a woman for whom time is money? It was a journey we were taking together with the head of the,so I had to prepare a little more thoroughly."

"It's okay. Really." 

I wave my hand.

"Please don't apologize. If you think of me." 

A broken carriage wheel is only the beginning.

"If the Lord of the Second Division says so much."

Calix smiled softly and took a step back. Only then did Rosenia smile faintly, as if relieved.

At that moment, the coachman, who was pretending to be examining the wheels of the carriage, approached them.

"What is this? I think it will be difficult for the carriage to move right now. The connecting shaft is cracked and needs to be replaced with a new one."

"This... It might be dark in a little while. How is there no way?"

"There is a small village not far from here. I will go there and rent a carriage."

"I guess I'll have to wait a little bit. Is it okay, My Lady?"

"Yes, I'm okay. It can't be helped. Please do so."

After receiving permission, the coachman said he would return soon and left on his only horse. Calix said with an embarrassed smile.

"He'll be back soon. Let's wait a moment."

"Yes."

The two waited next to the broken carriage for the driver to return.  Looking at the ripe grapes in the vineyard as harvest season approaches.

But no matter how long I waited, the coachman did not come back. Until the moment when the sun begins to set.

Now that it seemed like it would soon become completely dark. Rosenia's face hardened slightly.

"Maybe something happened? I heard there's a village not far away."

"Hmm."

If the coachman I was worried about would have gone home long ago. Because he told me to do it. There was no one coming back from the beginning.

However, Calix pretended to create a serious atmosphere. 

"It seems like things keep going wrong. But won't he come soon? The weather is getting colder. Shall we wait in the carriage?"

"No, Rather, I think it would be better for us to go to the place where the coachman went."

Rosenia said, looking in the direction where the coachman disappeared.

"If you wait in the carriage, you can avoid the cold, but you never know what might happen at night. In places where there is no such thing, the sun sometimes sets earlier. It could be dangerous, so I think it would be better for us to move."

"I don't know how long I'll have to walk. Is that okay?"

"Sure. How good is my physical strength?"

Rosenia patted her arm as if showing off, and Calix chuckled.

'I can't do it. It's hard, and they tell me to do this and that.'

It was the exact opposite of the immature appearance she had shown just a few days ago. What else is she hiding? 

Calix was very excited about the process of finding out.

***

What on earth is going on?

I couldn't hide my sense of emptiness in the small town I arrived at after endless walking.

Perhaps they had taken a wrong turn on the way, but no one could find anyone who had seen the coachman. Even though it took quite a while to walk, it was already dark when we arrived at the village.

It was already too late to go to the workshop, and now I had to worry about going home.

"What should I do with this?"

The driver took the only horse with him. The carriage broke down. In the end, we had to rent horses and carriages here.

"There is no carriage, but there is only one horse."

A resident who heard about our situation willingly offered to lend us a horse.

However, when I actually checked, the horse was a scrawny old horse with skin sticking to the bones. It seemed to be insufficiently powerful for two adults to ride.

First of all, I'm not good at horseback riding. Modern people, who ride buses instead of carriages and subways instead of horses, when did they ever get to ride a horse?

Mr. Dominic, who had been checking the horse's condition for a moment, opened his mouth.

"I will ride this horse back to the capital and rent a carriage."

"Yes? Now?"

"You can't just wait forever."

"But it got too dark... "

I looked up at the sky, which had already turned black. Since there were only vineyards around, there was no light, so the sun seemed to set earlier.

Riding a horse alone on a night like this?

Just thinking about it seemed dangerous. What if he meets a thug on the way?

"Why don't we just stay here for a day?"

I couldn't be more sorry to Dominic, who was already sorry. I made the best decision we could. Then the man who offered to lend us his horse asked.

"Do you have a place to stay?" 

"I think we should go to the inn." 

"Tsk tsk, where is the inn in a place like this? Everyone just makes a living from the land."

It was just as the man said. The village we found was really small.

"Don't do that, come to my house. I have one room left, and I'll lend it to you."

Still, a man who took pity on us and said that even if the sky fell, there was still a hole to survive, decided to rent us a room.

As he was heading to his house, he suddenly asked as if he was curious.

"But what is the relationship between you two? Married couple?"

"Oh, that's..."

"Yes, that's right."

I quickly turned my head at the sudden voice. Dominic, who made eye contact, covered his mouth with his hand and whispered.

"It would be even weirder if it looked like an unmarried man and woman wandering around in a place like this."

But...!

I gaped in embarrassment but soon understood what he was saying. 

Okay. It's for convenience anyway. Besides, do you have any right to complain to me?

I even mistakenly thought that Dominic was the male lead. If Dominic looked at a stone and said it was gold, I was in a position to go one step further and say it was a diamond.

The man's house that arrived was a small two-room cabin. When I went inside, it was narrower, but I think it was because of the oak barrels that filled the house. As I craned my neck out of curiosity, the man laughed out loud. 

"Do you think you like alcohol?" 

"Alcohol?"

"It's wine. All the vineyards around here are farmed by the people in our village together. This is wine made from grapes harvested last year. It's so delicious that even high-ranking nobles visit it."

Those words made me even more curious. How delicious is it when you say that?

I was already thirsty because I was so nervous for so many reasons today.

Gulp.

I swallowed my saliva reflexively, but the sound was surprisingly loud. As I blushed with embarrassment, the man laughed out loud.

"Haha! There's not much to eat, but there's plenty of wine. Have you had dinner?" 

"No. Not yet." 

"Today. I will treat you to a wine that will never be forgotten in your life. Ah, you don't have to decline. Originally, wine tastes better when you drink it with many people."

He gave us some roast potatoes, a large loaf of bread, and a bottle of wine.

There was no need to decline. This is because the table was set up in an instant as if it had been prepared in advance.

As if being suddenly indebted to me wasn't enough, would it be okay for me to get some food as well?

But I was so hungry that my hands were already reaching for food.

Oh my God. Is this really a potato?

The fluffy texture was a delight to the tongue. Perhaps it was baked with butter, but the savory flavor gave a soft and satisfying feeling. I swear, these are the best potatoes I've ever eaten.

I slowly reached for the bread. The bread was soft and shiny. When I pulled it with force, it tore smoothly along the grain.

The baking king who would conquer the world lived in this house. It almost brings tears to my eyes.

'It's almost the same as the food I ate at the mansion.'

Is it because the market is a side dish? Well, there is also an anecdote about sandfish. I took a sip of red wine, not hiding the anticipation that was surging over me.


Previous            Next


Support Novellate!



Comments