"Do as you please!"
At those words, the Grand Duke clutched the back of his neck. Ideline also looked worriedly back and forth between the Grand Duke and me.
People's eyes were increasingly focusing on us.
However, I didn't mind the Grand Duke's attitude either.
A barking dog is a frightened dog. From the moment it barks loudly, it is implicitly revealing that it is weak.
The Grand Duke seemed to regain his senses, leaned forward, and gave a low warning to Carcel and me.
"This is your final warning. I will not stand idly by while you deceive the Grand Ducal family."
"Then what are you going to do? Are you going to hand out flyers and spread rumors that Carcel is actually a Duke?"
I also smiled sweetly, whispering as if I were telling a secret.
It seemed they mistook it for a decisive blow, perhaps thinking it was our weakness.
The Grand Duke raised his voice subtly with a resentful look on his face.
"What would you do if I stood up right now and made an official statement!"
Carcel smiled slightly at those words. Then he pressed the corner of his mouth firmly with his right thumb.
As if trying to hide a blatant smile.
The Grand Duke's expression contorted even more, as if he thought he was being mocked.
I glanced sideways at Carcel.
He slowly put his arm around my shoulder as if to reassure me. Then he opened his mouth and responded.
"You may do so. Given the Grand Duke's standing in high society, well..."
Carcel's gaze briefly groped in the air.
"It'll probably just be dismissed as a conspiracy theory. It won't be a big deal just because a few people believe it."
"What?!"
"Don't worry. What I'm best at is keeping people quiet."
Then, with a faint smile, he added.
"Well... whether they're alive or dead."
"Th-threat? You can't do as you please with me, either!"
Just as the Grand Duke asked back with a dumbfounded expression, I stepped forward.
If left as is, the atmosphere will spiral out of control and become hostile.
However, the Grand Duke has poison.
It might be difficult to break through the Marquis's tight security, but as long as we attend social events, it’s not like there’s absolutely no chance.
I felt that if I became overly hostile, the situation might escalate, so I spoke calmly.
"...It’s not a threat. However, there is one thing I’ve been keeping quiet about out of manners."
"Manners? What manners have the two of you shown me all this time? What are you talking about manners?"
Upon hearing those words, I pulled away from Carcel and covered my mouth with both hands.
I asked the Grand Duke with a gesture as if to say, "Oh my."
"Then should we really stop being polite? Hmm... does that mean it is acceptable to give His Imperial Majesty a heads-up regarding the Brian Merchant Guild, which has been supplying various event items to the Office of Protocol these days?"
Upon hearing that, the Grand Duke looked at me as if to say, "What are you talking about?"
I continued speaking without avoiding the Grand Duke's gaze.
No, I'm just a bit curious, so I was looking around at this and that and accidentally discovered a strange merchant group.
"I mean. They aren't even a famous merchant guild, but they were in charge of the consumables used every day for imperial events."
A newly established trading company, suddenly taken over by someone, took charge of the imperial family's goods.
And that too for consumables whose prices are not fixed.
"Since the guests invited to imperial banquets are such distinguished individuals, they come up with a new concept for every event, don't they? So naturally."
I gestured to the candles, fresh flowers, various decorations, and tablecloth placed on our table in order.
"These things are consumed as single-use items, aren't they?"
"So, what are you trying to say?"
"Unlike food ingredients with somewhat fixed market prices, the price of this type of consumable increases several times over just by involving a few middlemen, simply because it is a custom-made item and considered a luxury product."
Even the candles used at imperial banquets are made exclusively for the imperial family.
However, unlike items that can be used for a long time, such as tableware or furniture, these high-end consumables were replaced frequently, making it difficult to detect any abnormalities.
I pointed to the luxurious candle in the candlestick and asked.
"This candle, one of them, was 20 silver."
One candle costs about 200,000 won.
Of course, it’s only natural that it’s expensive, considering it’s a luxury item made with the finest fragrance, mixed with bright colors perfect for spring, and even engraved with the imperial symbol in gold leaf!
I am not criticizing the price of luxury goods. However...
"The craftsman who actually makes these is getting 2 silver per piece. Even considering they are top-quality items, the fair price would be roughly 10 silver."
"How would I know the price of a mere candle?"
"You may not know the candle price, but you know about the Volie Group, one of Brian Group's main suppliers, right?"
"How do you keep asking what I know about those insignificant merchant guilds? That is all the Protocol Office's business to handle."
Suddenly, the Grand Duke pretended not to know.
"Let's stop this useless talk now."
The Grand Duke isn't a complete idiot either.
Because that trembling voice from earlier had completely subsided, however, the slightly trembling eyes could not perfectly hide the truth.
I narrowed my eyebrows and smiled at him.
'Originally, this was something Linea and Lucian would have done in the future to cut off the source of the Grand Duke's slush fund.'
The Grand Duke had to raise a secret fund while evading the imperial family's surveillance for the purpose of treason.
With the slush funds generated this way, they bribed connections, built intelligence networks, and prepared private soldiers.
Furthermore, they extorted money from the imperial family for treason.
During this time, the Grand Duke committed corruption by using his position as an advisor to the Protocol Office to secretly bribe or threaten officials under his jurisdiction.
In any case, all transactions are conducted through shell companies and various nominee accounts.
'So even if I expose this right now, the Grand Duke will just have to back out.'
But I could cut off his money supply.
If you ask whether Carcel was unaware of this, that wouldn't be the case.
Nevertheless, the reason they were watching was likely to wait for an opportunity to implicate even the Grand Duke, but...
Unfortunately, in the original work, the Grand Duke is not punished for this.
Because they had tampered with it so cleverly.
However, they will be in a difficult situation, as they will no longer be able to use the funds they were able to use out of the imperial family's sight.
I feel bad saying this to Carcel, but if that's the case, it might be better to use it in a different way.
I continued speaking to the Grand Duke with an expression that seemed to say, "Ah, is that so?"
"The Grand Duke knows absolutely nothing. However, while the Volie Merchant Guild exists convincingly on paper, the actual address where the company is supposed to be is just a deserted building that no one uses."
"...I get it, I get it, so stop it now."
At those words, the Grand Duke finally reacted.
If the slush funds flowing in during this period of intense rebellion are suddenly blocked...
'He could never proceed with something like a private soldier that requires an astronomical amount of money.'
I shrugged my shoulders and laughed.
"If you want, I’m more than willing to investigate further. One of my husband's greatest skills is tracking people."
I even linked arms with Carcel to show off.
At those words, Ideline glanced at her husband out of the corner of her eye.
With an innocent face, as if asking if all those words were true.
Carcel chuckled at my words.
"Of course. Especially if my wife personally asks, I will track it down as my top priority above all else."
Grateful to Carcel for trusting me, I stroked his forearm while crossing my arms.
After a brief silence, the Grand Duke finally spoke.
"Why would the Marquis go out of his way to get involved in such a useless matter?"
"Right? I don't really have a hobby of digging into other people's backgrounds, either. It's just that whenever people start threatening my family and me, I suddenly feel like having a hobby."
At the tone that seemed to say, "You know what I mean, right?", the Grand Duke finally muttered reluctantly.
"...My son will never be engaged to that child."
At those words, I finally smiled comfortably.
"Thank you, Grand Duke."
However, the Grand Duke's expression was colder than usual.
Just like black and white on a chessboard, the sides on the table were also clearly divided.
Because even Ideline quietly withdrew the affectionate look from before.
'But it can't be helped. I have to do the work.'
As if noticing that the fierce atmosphere had subsided, the priests were seen exchanging glances.
Soon, as calm music began, a splendid-looking priest ascended the central stage.
"Thank you to all the distinguished guests who attended."
I exchanged glances with Carcel. Soon, my fingertips traced down his forearm and lightly tapped his hand.
Then Carcel let out a low laugh and carefully wrapped his hand around mine.
Just then, having discovered something, I pressed myself close to Carcel and whispered.
"Carcel! That person is Priest Noction, right?"
Previous Next
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment