Attention!!

Please do not copy and repost series from Novellatte. Please ask for permission first. Let's respect each other.

WMHMS - Chapter 105




What's so special about going to a salon?

I smiled and kissed Carcel, who looked depressed.

"Hey, don't be so down." 

"I will keep waiting right in front, so if any problems arise, just one scream will suffice." 

"Carcel, realistically speaking, I came here by invitation, so there is no way I would act like that right away."

Strangely, an organization operating in a decentralized manner and blatantly avoiding tracking would openly target me in a place like this.

However, Carcel scattered another cup of kisses at me.

"Asha just needs to return safely. Don't needlessly muster up the courage to try and find out anything more."

"Yes. I'm going to play it safe and be a bit cowardly."

I hugged his neck even tighter and nodded.

I kissed Carcel once again.

Once we broke the ice with a kiss, it felt like we had become a greeting.

Leaving Carcel behind as he reluctantly let me go, I entered the suburban mansion that had been set up as a salon.

'A mansion made of pink marble.'

It was unique from the outside.

I stepped through the door the footman had opened, clutching the bottle of wine I had brought as a gift tightly.

And at the front of the house, a woman wearing a mask was waiting for me.

A captivating woman with red lips visible beneath a mask spoke to me.

"Please choose a mask." 

I chose a filigree mask with butterfly wings from among the many masks placed on the table.

'So that it is clearly me."

That way, it will be easier for Baron Belmand to approach me.

I also vaguely suspected that the Grand Duchess's invitation was, in fact, an invitation from Baron Belmand.

Ideline looked innocent.

Someone might be manipulating her from behind.

"You can enter here."

As I pushed through layers of shining veils instead of a door, another world unfolded.

It felt as if a greenhouse had been moved into the room.

The butterflies even actually flew around in the air!

"Wow."

Looking around, I saw quite a few people of all ages wearing masks, holding wine glasses, and chatting.

Someone approached me as I was thinking how unexpectedly bright and wholesome the atmosphere was.

"You came?"

Ideline was wearing a hummingbird mask.

Instead of the neat attire of a banquet, here she is dressed in colorful clothes like a hummingbird.

"I brought a bottle of wine as a gift. Thank you for the invitation, Grand Duchess."

"Feel free to call me Ideline." 

She approached me and started leading me as if to introduce me to people.

"This is Tuvanche, the most popular opera singer in the capital these days." 

"You've been coming here often lately, Ideline." 

I widened my eyes at the man who openly addressed the Grand Duchess informally.

However, Ideline also greeted him as if nothing had happened.

"Stop acting like a drunkard. You make a mess of the floor every time; do you realize how embarrassed I am? Don't forget that I'm the one who invited you."

"Whenever I come here, there are tons of high-end liquors that I wouldn't normally be able to drink. How can I not get drunk?"

The giggling man suddenly started singing.

No one even cared about it.

On one side, someone was posing as a model, while someone else was drawing a croquis.

Some people even put their heads together to have a serious discussion.

It was truly a party where no one was mindful of others' feelings.

'It's different from a noble's party.'

I think I could somewhat understand what element Ideline was interested in.

"Now that I’ve roughly introduced the regulars, let me introduce you to Baron Belmant, who runs the salon. You probably exchanged greetings at the banquet, too."

"Ah, he gave flowers to Linea." 

"...It’s the Baron’s specialty." 

It was a moment when I was cautiously glancing around, noticing the strange, childish awkwardness at the end of Ideline's words.

“There it is.”

At Ideline's words, I followed her gaze.

Soon, the Baron, who had been laughing warmly among the people, came out and nodded once to her.

And the Baron, pushing his way through the crowd, bowed his head to greet me.

He was wearing a Volto mask that covered everything except his eyes.

"You have come a long way to get here, Marchioness."

"Still, thanks to you, I'm glad to be able to attend such a beautiful party. Did you bring all of this yourself from the greenhouse?"

"While I was at the Inner Palace to give the Crown Prince a lesson, I stole some things from His Majesty the Emperor's greenhouse. We are short on budget."

The Baron smiled at me, his eyes crinkling with tears.

As if he knew I had already marked him as a 'suspect'.

Unlike the Baron, who wore a mask that completely covered his face, I, wearing a thin mask that could not hide my eyes or expression, laughed as if I found it amusing.

"I knew you'd be a smooth talker!"

"Do I look like I'm joking?" 

Baron Belmand suddenly looked serious.

It seems like a giant snake is lurking behind the mask.

Enough to think I understand a little why Carcel was worried about me.

And I chose the best position to take in front of the snake.

"It makes me feel awkward if you're too mean. When you say things like that to someone we're not close with, I get confused whether you're teasing me or sharing a secret."

Avoiding the issue by mixing sincerity and pretense in just the right amount. And giving a hint that this has crossed the line.

At those words, the Baron smiled at me again.

"Of course I'm joking. I'm not that bold."

The Baron's silver-blue eyes turned dark.

"I just went out of my way to put on a show because it seemed like you were an audience member who came to see me. Just now, I was also testing just how honest you could be."

He let out a low, faint laugh.

He seemed polite and kept his distance in official settings.

Baron Belmand at this gathering made no attempt to hide a bitter smile.

As if he had decided to hunt me, having entered a snake's den.

Before I knew it, I glanced around and couldn't even see Ideline anywhere.

It seemed like her role was over. 

Then, as I smiled awkwardly, he continued speaking eloquently.

"And it was also my decision to ask Ideline to invite the Marchioness here."

I didn't expect him to be this honest.

This man was somewhat different from what I expected.

"I heard Baron Belmand wanted to invite me to the salon personally. Why?"

"Haven't you heard the news that I am close friends with half the women in the capital? I am a man who goes crazy for women." 

For someone speaking as if joking, the Baron's gaze was constantly observing me.

"If Madam also develops such an interest, would you be willing to take an interest in me at least once?" 

“I’m married.”

When I raised my left hand to show him the engagement ring, he was impressed.

"It seems the Marquis has made thorough preparations." 

"The Baron's reputation is so famous. Carcel was very worried."

"Then this method can't be used."

The Baron grinned this time.

"How about this? It doesn't seem like you're the type to be tempted by me anyway, and it doesn't seem like you'll fall for it just because I beat around the bush."

When I tilted my head, he spoke bluntly.

"Let me be blunt. I wanted to tell you that I have nothing to do with the attempted assassination of His Royal Highness the Crown Prince." 

"...Why are you telling me this now?" 

"Well, it's obvious." 

The Baron leaned toward me and whispered as if he were telling a secret story.

"The Marquis couldn't possibly be unaware that the Grand Duchess and I are in an illicit relationship, especially since, coincidentally, he is also the former tutor of His Royal Highness the Crown Prince."

"Did you think you would be a strong suspect?"

"That is generally the case. Besides, unlike Count Tabes and Priest Noction, I don't have any backing."

The Baron let out a laugh at me in a scathing tone.

"I expected to be the first to be suspected. However, you are sure to know that although both the Marquis and His Imperial Majesty interrogated me, nothing significant came out."

"If you are so confident, you didn't need to call me out to say things like this, did you?"

I frowned faintly, yet I did not lose my smile.

"Because the Marquis's thoughts are likely different from the Lady's."

The Baron spoke to me directly.

"It seems likely that I will soon be confined in the same space as the men the Marquis cherishes, so it would be better to explain myself, even if just a little, to save my life."

"So, you tried to seduce me, but since it doesn't seem like that will work, are you asking me directly instead?"

I smiled on the outside, but on the inside, I wondered what kind of man this was.

'If they really are an insider, they are saying something so obvious. If it were me, would I say it so bluntly?'

It will just make you more suspicious for no reason.

Rather, since he was excessively honest, I was slightly confused, as it seemed like he would have an alibi no matter what I asked.

And yet, an opponent from whom one cannot completely dismiss suspicion.

'It is like a snake wearing several layers of masks.'

And now I was inside a snake cave.

At my puzzled question, Baron Belmand soon nodded and added slyly.

“Please save me.”

Spouting nonsense even more brazen than I expected!


Previous                    Next



Comments