Attention!!

Please do not copy and repost series from Novellatte. Please ask for permission first. Let's respect each other.

TVHR - Chapter 97




"Roselyn is especially weak even among outsiders, so you have to be careful! Yo!"

"Yes."

Roselyn answered quietly.

She opened her mouth as she watched Batar walking beside her, chattering away in step.

"Batar." 

"Hmm? Why!"

Should I tell you to stop using such ill-mannered honorifics?

"You don't have to use honorifics." 

"I cannot do that! My father always said that one must act with respect and reverence toward those one wishes to make a good impression on."

"Ah, I see." 

Roselyn shrugged her shoulders, unable to even tell him to do it properly.

"Is there no food shortage in Kaluta?"

"Food shortage? What is a food shortage?"

"I mean literally, have you ever had a hard time because of a food shortage?" 

"There is no such thing!"

Batar tilted his head, straightened his chin, and spoke.

Judging by how he straightened his shoulders and chest, he appeared to be overflowing with self-confidence.

"Yes?"

"Hmm! We have so much food left over every year that we’ve never experienced a food shortage. Do things like that exist in other regions?"

"Our territory is particularly bad. So, I was thinking... I mean, what do you think if the Duke of Bellion wanted to trade food with Kaluta?"

Batar tilted his head at Roselyn's words.

"Is that what you want?" 

"First off, it's true that I want to include food in the trade items. Right now, I'm tied down by other territories because of food."

Roselyn answered Batar's question.

Batar, who had been walking beside her with his arms crossed and nodding, suddenly looked at Roselyn.

"So, if we just resolve this food issue, it seems we might be able to see the arms deal with Kaluta a little sooner."

"Weapon!"

Batar's eyes sparkled.

"That... no! Does that include the new product being made this time as well?!"

"Of course, right now there are many places where funds are leaking out."

Roselyn's goal is to ensure that everything can be resolved within the Duchy even if the entire Empire turns its back on the Duchy.

To do so, Roselyn needed to maintain a closer relationship with Kaluta than with the Imperial Family of the Empire.

There was also a need to resolve the food shortage.

It goes without saying that the Duke of Bellion was unrivaled in the mineral sector, including the weapons industry, from the very beginning.

'And if we just manage to successfully resolve this monster forest extermination matter...'

The Duke of Bellion could potentially monopolize all of the forest's resources as well.

She didn't know this, but the First Emperor gave the Duchy of Bellion that monster forest along with the current duchy.

She doesn't know if it was originally a monster forest, or if it became one at some point when monsters started living there...

'Up until now, the Duchy has had to bear the entire burden alone because the Monster Forest is strictly the Duke's private property and a Duchy that must be governed.'

All the things that latch onto you every time you ask for help are of that kind.

However, if this is resolved well, the Monster Forest will no longer be a nuisance but a treasure trove.

Since it has been the Duchy of Bellion for hundreds of years, no one will be able to run their mouth.

This time, she has to close the Duchy's gates.

'To do that... do I have to send a letter to Arma first?'

Arma has often given Roselyn various information in the past, so it will be helpful.

The Duke's family, who run a fairly large trading company, struck it rich by investing in several businesses that Roselyn told them about.

'Since it is a banquet held after acquiring such wealth, hyenas will surely flock to it.'

Especially since the value of the Orlang Mine had already skyrocketed.

"We can just give you food! You know!"

"...Just? We could make a deal." 

"It is no big deal. Besides, Mother would have made the same choice in a friend's predicament."

At Roselyn's words, Batar laughed heartily and spoke. Roselyn's eyes widened slightly.

"...You're really going to give it to me for free? I need to do business with you for about 3-4 years."

"Three or four years? That is plenty of time. It will be the work I carry out as a diplomat. Roselyn, we, and I are sincerely grateful to your family."

Roselyn fell silent without realizing it at the remark, adding that they were grateful for both the epidemic and the establishment of diplomatic relations.

"Then I won't refuse."

As Roselyn, who was looking for something to say, quickly nodded, Batar grinned.

***

Moonlight Banquet.

In the Duchy, there was a day when the moon appeared blue, exactly once a year.

A day when the blue moonlight pours down. A day when all the residents of the Duchy prepare various sights and foods to celebrate with excitement and joy.

...A few days ago, the lords of the North gathered to discuss important matters.

Usually, the first day begins with a banquet, and from the second day onwards, all the lords of the North gather to hold a meeting.

Although Duke Bellion was the host, he could not simply hold the upper hand as long as the food supplies were mortgaged.

Only the families who received invitations and their direct descendants or family members were allowed to attend the banquet.

Opportunities for outsiders to visit the Duchy were extremely rare. This was because the Duchy was located in a dangerous area, and the Duke, Devon Bellion, was unfriendly to outsiders.

Thanks to that, since it was usually difficult to visit, quite a few people would come and go around this time of year.

"...Come to think of it, did you hear? I heard that the Young Duke and the Princess are attending this banquet for some reason?"

"Oh my, that gloomy..." 

"I’ve always wondered. How could such a sinister child be born to someone like Duke Bellion..." 

"Shh, your voice is too loud."

At the other lady's words, they hurriedly looked around.

Fortunately, no one from the Duke's family was visible.

"It's pitiful for His Excellency the Duke, too. Because of the unruly second son and the battle-crazed first son, the youngest ended up becoming the heir." 

"A successor who kills people..."

"I heard the Princess is gloomy and timid. They say she glares fiercely and keeps her mouth tightly shut if you even just speak to her."

"Ah. I heard. That you can't really communicate properly... I suppose she's just like her parents, but with her shabby, drab clothes, white hair, and bloodshot eyes, I heard she looks like some kind of pure white lab rat."

"Ah. Really? Come to think of it, I don't even want to approach the Young Duke. Who knows when he might die?"

"Who wouldn't say it? It's a cursed bloodline."

"I suppose the Duchy even eats monster meat. It's not like they're beasts, you know..."

There was a hint of laughter in the whispering voices.

In fact, high society was all like this.

Roselyn hadn't attended many times, but the atmosphere was like this whenever she went to tea parties a few times in the past.

At first, they were chatting happily, laughing, but when someone started the conversation by saying, "Oh my, did you happen to hear that story?", the others' eyes would light up.

Usually, stories like that were akin to a hot potato in high society.

Of course, not everything was good.

I know that since it is awkward when you meet, the way to become close is to gossip about someone, tear them apart, taste them, and enjoy them.

Isn't that just how life is?

It was easier to unite people by creating a common enemy than by creating a single leader.

Roselyn had no interest in that kind of thing, but she understood it.

"Oh my, what are you all talking about so interestingly?" 

But of course, just because she understood doesn't mean she's willing to let her fall for that glib tongue.

"Ah. It's just that this time, Princess Bellion..."

The lady, who had turned her head while answering reflexively, suddenly closed her mouth shut.

Pure white hair.

Red eyes.

Dirty... what do you mean? Even a blindingly beautiful and sophisticated dark red dress.

"Be, Princess Bellion...?"

"Yes."

They squeezed their eyes shut at Roselyn's quiet answer.

'I'm in big trouble.'

Why on earth did it have to be her who heard it?

With fair skin, eyes slanted upward, an upright posture, and even a radiant smile.

They could not bring themself to call her gloomy or timid.

"...Is that by any chance Fluer's dress?

"The flowing wave patterns faintly shining through the silk—could it be Rokasan silk...?"

It was silk that commanded tens of millions per bolt, making it difficult to obtain even with money.

It was a dress made of precious silk that Fleur had saved to give to Roselyn.

"Good heavens, you've become so beautiful since I last saw you."

“Yes. I know.”

The noblewoman from the nearby estate who had spoken to Roselyn at her words opened her eyes wide.

The fancy diamond jewelry also looked quite precious.

It was rare to find someone capable of such intricate craftsmanship on such a small ornament.

"Ah. Haha... I almost didn't recognize you."

"Ah, yes. I'm glad you recognized that. Then, I assume you have something to say now."

"Yes...?"

"If you have a vulgar rag in your mouth and are reeking of bad breath in someone else's house, you should rightfully apologize."

Roselyn smiled sweetly and said.


Previous            Next



Comments