Pale purple eyes and red eyes clashed in the air.
“Presepe!”
As soon as he shouted the name loudly, Fenrik began running toward Presepe without any hesitation.
"Grand Duke Fenrik!"
How on earth did this happen? When did he manage to get here? I have something to ask him. Yet, not a single thought crossed my mind. All I wanted was to reach Fenrik, who was standing right in front of me, as soon as possible.
"..."
However, Vidar's hand was slightly faster than Presepe's footsteps.
Vidar let go of Presepe's shoulder and collapsed.
The black mist spewing from Vidar's hand enveloped Presepe as if casting a barrier. He knew instinctively. He knew that there was absolutely nothing to be gained from touching that mist. And he also knew that Vidar had used his own power to bind his feet.
“Henrik”
Vidar's blue eyes, staring at Fenrir, were incredibly piercing. His gaze revealed an even deeper emotion than when he had glared at Presepe earlier.
It was a vivid life.
"Yeah, everything went wrong because of you."
Vidar muttered in a sinister voice, as if spitting it out.
"Not assigned any role in this world. Therefore, a being worse than a bug. And yet, despite that, [he/she] keeps going..."
"Well, I'm not really sure."
Fenrik answered while staring straight at Vidar.
"I'm different from you, Vidar."
"Are you going to realize your place now?"
"No, I mean that everything was different from the start compared to you, who only moves according to set values and can therefore control your own emotions as you please."
"...what?"
"At least I chose Presepe of my own free will and approached him."
"..."
“But you?”
My will?
I took Presepe to heart, too. I chose Presepe of my own free will. There was absolutely nothing that wasn't my will!
Even as he thought that, Vidar's blue eyes were shaking violently.
"You mean I'm like a bug that hasn't been assigned any role?"
Fenrik said mockingly.
"Then, are you a better being than a bug if you just take on a given role and do only what you are told to do?"
"What are you talking about?" Presepe's face turned pale as he listened to the conversation between Fenrik and Vidar.
… … … … … … You knew?
Both of them?
The fact that this is a fabricated world, and also the fact that each character has a specific role assigned to them?
Since when? how?
"I think you're the one who hasn't grasped the subject, Vidar."
"..."
"At best, acting like a scarecrow according to the settings, did you have the right to say such things to me?"
Vidar felt something was off upon hearing Fenrik's words. At most, his chest had been pierced by an arrow, and it was clear that such a flimsy weapon could not inflict any fatal wound upon him; yet, strangely, it felt as if his heart was sinking to the floor with a thud.
I didn't feel well.
Much more so than when I realized that Presepe had tried to run away from me.
It might have been because Menlick's words were true, and therefore there wasn't a single thing to say in response.
Of course, Vidar refused to admit that fact at all.
"..."
Fenrik's face, holding a sword, was reflected in Vidar's blue eyes.
at that time
When he met Fenrik while wandering around after killing Ivan.
The day I revealed that Presepe's true purpose was to escape this world.
Fenrik attacked me back then, too. Just like now, piercing my chest with an arrow.
In this world, no one could hurt Vidar. Except for Vidar himself.
The reason Fenrik is able to attack me must be that he is no longer a being subject to the Game's control.
And Fenrik must know that fact, too.
That must be why they dare to rush at me without the slightest fear.
..."But I can kill you just the same." Vidar's eyes gleamed.
"If dying is your greatest wish, I will grant it."
As soon as I finish speaking.
Over there, from the direction of the Forbidden Forest, all sorts of monsters began to pop out.
It was a number that even the knights who had been stationed and living in the Forbidden Forest, or Fenrik who had fought enemy soldiers and monsters while wandering from battlefield to battlefield, had never seen.
“It’s a dragon!”
"That number is absurd! Even if the activity was unusual, it was only a few days ago that the forest was completely burned down………………"
"That's an ancient monster straight out of a legend! If I stay here, I'm bound to die!"
It quickly turned into chaos. The Knights, the Imperial Palace soldiers sent by Dietrich, and the soldiers brought by Fenrik all stood there with their mouths wide open, dumbfounded.
However, they could not remain dazed for long. As soon as the monsters appeared, they began hunting the humans, and blood began to spurt all around.
And even while doing so, Vidar took a step toward Fenrik without hesitation.
'Who am I...?'
Fenrik muttered as he readjusted his grip on the sword with his veiny hand.
'I can cut it. Even if it is the Demon King.'
Fenrik swung his sword quickly, and Vidar reached out his hand.
The sharp sword pierced Vidar's flank precisely, just as it had back then. Since he had never been attacked before, Vidar had no intention of defending himself at all.
All I wanted was to kill Fenrik.
"..."
Even as the sharp tip of the sword pierced through his opposite side and burst out, Vidar did not push Fenrik away. Instead, he moved even closer to him. Just as the sword had thrust into his body all the way to the hilt, Vidar finally grabbed Fenrik's neck with a hand from which black mist was ceaselessly emitting.
I wanted to kill them as painfully as possible. Not simply by using magic to instantly sever their breath.
So Vidar scratched Fenrik's nape with his long, twisting fingernails and gripped him with all his might, as if trying to break his neck bones. Acrid smoke rose over the skin that had begun to burn. Fenrik, enduring the pain, grimace slightly.
...However, the desire to kill was greater on this side than to defend itself.
Fenrik, who had suddenly taken something out of his pocket, stabbed Vidar just below the neck with it.
And at that moment, Vidar showed a reaction that even Fenrik hadn't anticipated.
He immediately made a pained expression and staggered violently.
It was a sight I hadn't seen even when his side was pierced like last time, or when his stomach was pierced like this.
Vidar's gaze turned to the sword that had been thrust just above the collarbone.
It was a dazzling little sword studded with jewels, completely unsuited for Fenrir.
"you...!"
Something resembling a roar burst from between Vidar's half-open lips. Two hidden sharp horns appeared as if fingernails had grown longer, and his rage-filled pupils stretched out like those of a beast.
The black fog began to spread further, and far more monsters poured out than before.
"Ah. No......"
Presepe's face turned pale and stiff as he remained trapped and unable to move within the barrier.
I had never once seen Vidar reveal his true self to such an extent. He seemed as though he were going mad, consumed by rage and madness.
...If this continues, you will die.
Not just Fenrik, but all the innocent people as well. Everyone, without exception.
If only his own life were in danger, he might have sacrificed a little more. But that was not the situation now.
Presepe squeezed his eyes shut and ran through the barrier Vidar had set up, pushing through the layers of black mist.
It felt as if my whole body was burning, just as it had been when I pushed through the flames Ivan had started. Acrid smoke billowed up. The tattered dress scattered here and there as ash, and pain surged through me.
Strangely, tears poured down. I couldn't tell if it was simply because I was in pain, if my eyes were stinging from the smoke, or if the situation was just terrible, or if it was because I was heartbroken that I couldn't reach Fenrik even though he was right in front of me.
"Vidar, stop it."
Presepe approached Vidar, hugged him tightly as if to dry his back, and spoke.
“Please.”
"..."
"I'll go back to the Forbidden Forest. So... stop it. Send the monsters back, and leave the Grand Duke and the people alone."
"Lord Presepe!"
Tears dripped from Presepe's eyes as he stared at Fenrik.
"lie."
Vidar answered Presepe in an angry voice.
"I don't believe you anymore."
"please..."
"..."
"Please, I'm begging you. Just this once………………."
A grinding sound of teeth came from between Vidar's lips.
Is it really true? Won't he abandon me next time? And then run away again? Just like he did earlier, crying out Benrick's name.
Along with an utterly unfamiliar pain, I felt as if my heart were being torn apart. I was so confused. Perhaps it was because, despite living such a long life, I had never once suffered a fatal injury like this.
...The fact that the situation was bad was not a story limited only to Fenrik.
Vidar, who had been standing staggering, grabbed Presepe's shoulder tightly again.
Then, holding her in his arms as if to trap her, he vanished in an instant, enveloped in black mist.
It happened in the blink of an eye.
"Attack, attack! Catch the monsters! We must defend this place at all costs!"
"The Knight Commander and His Majesty will arrive soon. The priests will be with them as well, so hold on!"
However, a considerable number of monsters did not leave their spots, and the screams and shouts of the people echoed loudly through the blood-stained heart.
Even amidst such circumstances, there was someone who stood frozen, unable to move.
It was Fenrique.
I knew exactly why Presepe took Vidar away.
Also, in a way, that is the wisest choice.
Unlike me, Presepe isn't someone who thinks it doesn't matter if everyone dies.
That is why he helped me on the day we first met, too.
However, the feeling of having her taken away from me again right before my eyes was indescribably devastating.
"Grand Duke Fenrik, we..."
And a few knights covered in the monsters' blood looked at him with dazed expressions and asked.
"What did we just see?"
"..."
"What on earth... is the author?"
Comments
Post a Comment