Attention!!

Please do not copy and repost series from Novellatte. Please ask for permission first. Let's respect each other.

KTBYM - Chapter 92




'Then does that mean there is a mysterious wizard behind this person as well?'

It was not a question that would elicit an answer, and because the other person chattered incessantly, there was no opportunity to even open my mouth. The sensation of my blood-soaked, damp clothes evoked a sense of terror regarding the situation, separate from the pain. I continued to pour my healing power into the spot where the knife was embedded.

"Come to think of it, I guess I was quite like him, too? Considering he gave me the name Sally." 

I no longer had the strength to push her away as she kept approaching me. I simply stepped back to avoid her.

"I admit I was better than the other researchers. Though I certainly wasn't comparable to you, an Archmage."

After moving my feet a few times, I found myself on Rudis's scroll. As a result, I ended up standing right on a magic circle.

'No. If I stay here, the magic circle will activate.'

"Ah, first of all..."

I wanted to ask her to move aside so I could lie down on the bed, unless she really intended to kill me. Her reason for infiltrating the magic tower couldn't have been to kill me. The mission assigned to this researcher was likely the kind that could only be accomplished if I remained alive.

However, only a groan escaped from my throat, and I could not speak properly. I had no choice but to twist my body, but it was not easy to shake off the hand gripping my shoulder tightly with my injured body.

Suddenly, a loud thud was heard. It was the sound of condensed air bursting out, as if an air gun had been fired. At the same time, the researcher collapsed toward me.

“Sally!”

I could roughly guess what had happened when Eon opened the door and came in. His attack struck the researcher without a moment's hesitation. Thanks to that, I mustered up the strength to push her away from me.

However, that did not mean the situation was over. A green light enveloped me like a curtain. It was the magic circle activating upon detecting that a person had entered.

The timing to escape outside had already passed. All that could be done was to cast another spell to stop the active magic. To do so, more magical power was required than the magic circle possessed.

'Whether that is possible.'

“Take my hand!”

With that shout as the last thing I heard, everything before my eyes turned pure white. It felt as if Eon's hand had grabbed me.

***

'Did you succeed in stopping the magic circle?'

I groped my stomach, but I couldn't find a terrible handle or a damp piece of clothing. I lowered my head, but there were no wounds anywhere.

'Surely it wasn't a dream.'

Suddenly, the red-haired woman sitting next to me caught my eye.

'There's a red-haired maid in the magic tower?'

Only then did I realize that this was a memory from my past. I let out a hollow laugh at the fact that hair color, rather than scars, was the decisive clue distinguishing reality from dreams.

'If memories resurface like this every time I get shocked.'

Regaining my memories was a welcome thing, but the fact that my real self became defenseless every time it happened was a big problem. Moreover, it meant falling into my unconscious at moments dangerous enough to feel my life was in danger.

I stopped thinking that way when I checked the maid's condition. Her entire face was tightly wrapped in bandages, with only her eyes barely visible.

From the looks of it, it seemed the healing had been finished with magic, but one could guess just how badly she had been injured. One couldn't help but wonder how the Magic Tower's maid had ended up in such a state.

'Was it back when monsters still remained?'

Then, my voice calling out to Eon told me that it was not because of a monster.

I stuck to the little kid who came running at my call.

"Did you make Luti like this?"

I was surprised by those words. After all, the culprit I had pointed out was none other than a little kid.

He glanced at Luti once and answered without hesitation.

"Yes." 

I was suddenly scared by the way he so cleanly admitted his mistake.

'Why? Why aren't you making excuses?'

This was a different matter from spilling milk on the carpet or skipping class to play. Children often lie in the face of problems that are not easily forgiven. Even if it is obvious to an adult, they want to avoid the consequences of their actions, even if it means doing so.

I forced out a voice that wouldn't come out properly and asked.

“Why did you do that?”

“I experimented.”

Eon lifted his head and met my eyes. Sparkling eyes and firmly closed lips. It was an expression that only a child who believes they have done nothing wrong could make.

Clutching my tightening chest, I asked the question again.

“What experiment?”

"The potion experiment I made with Sally yesterday."

It didn't matter what kind of potion it was. After all, Eon had essentially used the power of bio-silicate with a drug whose safety had not been verified. Moreover, the one made yesterday...

"Surely you aren't talking about a fire potion?"

"Yeah. Sally said you were curious if this flame would really burn while gnawing away at life."

A flame that does not spread to the surroundings and uses living things as fuel. It was an item requested by the Duke's castle to be distributed to each household for self-defense. They said that although monsters have disappeared, large beasts like wolves are appearing, so it would be helpful to people who do not know how to handle weapons.

"Didn't we agree to go to the forest with the Knights later and try that out?" 

"I was so curious I couldn't wait."

It meant that he had prioritized his own curiosity over the safety of others. I clenched my fist tightly. I had to brace myself for the cruel words that would once again burst from that small mouth.

"Why did you have to do that experiment on Luti of all people?"

"Luti was next to me."

The little boy shrugged his shoulders and said nonchalantly.

"And since Luti is a living thing too. Ah, the fire didn't spread and burn well; Luti was just like firewood..." 

"Stop!"

I ended up covering the little kid's mouth.

'What on earth did I make?'

The homunculus was perfect, just as the legend said. It possessed infinite magical power, and its knowledge of magic was boundless, like that of a scholar who had studied for a hundred years. Although we were supposed to research together, I actually had to learn from the newborn Eon.

However, he lacked the fundamental human emotions. He could not feel emotions such as love, compassion, or sympathy.

If Eon had not been such a formidable being, there would have been no need to be afraid as now. However, Eon was strong. Fortunately, although he was not yet aware of it, he must have been a stronger mage than anyone in Baynan, no, on the entire continent.

The fact that such a being lacked respect for life meant that it could easily become a catastrophe for the world. I recalled the tragedy that unfolded when the monsters attacked the castle. I could not just leave Eon, whom I had created, like that.

'No matter how much I explain, he won't understand.'

I have already warned many times that we must love people and protect the weak. Yet, such a tragedy occurred.

I made a firm resolution and opened my mouth.

"Eon. From now on, you will make a contract with me."

"Contract?"

Eon tilted his head.

"Yeah. It's a promise between Eon and me."

Eon nodded vigorously, as if pleased to be doing something with me. If this child possessed any emotions, he would be blind to me. It was just like a newborn duckling recognizing the first creature it sees as its mother.

I sent Luti out and remained in the laboratory alone with Eon. The bright midday sunlight poured onto the desk. A sweet scent wafted from the yellow tulips, having fully savored the light.

'It’s such a perfect day to sign a contract. It seems like you could wash that gloomy contract in the sunlight, leaving it fresh and fluffy like laundry.'

I couldn't tell what exactly was a sinister contract, or what it meant that it would be good to dry in the sun. I couldn't understand what the thought flashing through my mind was referring to. But soon, the answer came right out of my mouth.

"Do you know about subjugation contracts?" 

I couldn't believe it.

'Why is that here...'

The subjugation contract was a terrible agreement created by Tower Master Eon to bind me. I couldn't understand why I was even talking about such a contract.

Eon's eyes darted from side to side for a moment. All knowledge regarding magic was organized in his mind. When faced with a question, the child retrieved it as if searching for a book in a library. An explanation of the subordination contract flowed from the child's lips.

"That contract where the master knows not only the thoughts of the subordinate but also where they are and what they are doing?"

That was true, but I hadn't given a test question. I needed to package the dependency contract as something much cooler than the kid knew.

"Do you also know that all of that is only possible when the master wants it? There wouldn't be a master who looks after their subordinate all day long." 

The little boy fiddled with his lips and ruminated on my words.

"And the subordinate can also know things like the master's thoughts and position, if the master allows it." 

"Then, does a subjugation contract have any meaning?"

"Listen! It's not simply about possessing the subordinate..."

I paused for a moment to choose a plausible word.

"If it's something you want to do together." 


Previous                    Next



Comments