At that time, I was cynical about my father. I thought he would never do anything for me. To me, he was nothing more and nothing less than a stranger.
So I asked back. I asked if you could do as I wanted, and if you could tolerate that.
And he answered.
"I said that it is difficult, but not impossible."
My father's eyes stared directly at me. Just as the color of the tea in the cup changed in an instant, the blue that had held a chill emitted an intense heat as if it had swallowed a flame.
"That statement is still valid."
" I don't understand what you are saying."
"It means I will grant you anything you want."
My father's gaze toward me remained unwavering. He is someone who never speaks empty words.
He was someone who never even dared to speak of such things in the first place. Now, my father was sincerely saying that he would do whatever I wanted. There was no need to even ask him again.
If I had heard this a few months ago, I would have said without hesitation that I wanted to break off the engagement with the Crown Prince.
'But now?'
I like Sis. I love him.
However, hesitation still lingered just as much. To stay by Sis's side, I had to become the Empress once again. I had to stand in that lonely and desolate place once more.
Loving Sith and becoming Empress were separate matters. However, they were not issues that could be completely separated either.
Sis is someone who has lived his life to become Emperor since birth. I could not tell him to give up the throne simply because I lacked the confidence to become Empress. My father, who had been quietly watching my hesitation, spoke first.
"I have already requested the Crown Prince to break off the engagement."
For a moment, I felt as if I could hear my heart drop. My father stared at me silently.
"Did Your Majesty... consent to it?"
At my question, my father's thick eyebrows curved upward. Now I know what that reaction meant. It was his unique way of expressing that something was not to his liking.
"I do not need the Crown Prince's approval."
His stiff mouth, furrowed brow, and harsh tone meant that his father was in a bad mood.
It was only after seeing my father's reaction that I was barely able to compose myself from the shock. The fact that my father was in a bad mood meant that Sis had not readily accepted the request.
"What matters to me is your will, Beyoncé.."
My father's gaze toward me softened slightly.
" His Majesty will not grant permission."
My engagement to Sith could be said to be the result of the Emperor pushing it through unilaterally. There was no way that the Emperor, who had done so, would meekly allow the annulment, even if it was at my father's request.
Father frowned at my question. There was clear displeasure in his voice.
"It is the Crown Prince who failed to keep the contract. The Imperial Family has no choice anymore."
“A contract?”
At the word "contract," I was suddenly reminded of the day Sis confessed to me. Sis, who rejected my confession
S had gotten angry, saying that the contract didn't matter.
For some reason, I had a feeling that the contract Sis mentioned back then and the contract my father is talking about now are the same.
"What contract are you referring to?"
Father frowned at my question. There was almost no change in his expression, but I could feel that he was troubled.
"Is it something I am not supposed to know?"
“Hmm.”
Father cleared his throat and rubbed his chin. I did not take my eyes off him. Silence settled once again in the study. Finally, Father’s lips parted, and a small sigh escaped.
“It was to protect you.”
"You mean to protect me?"
It was an incomprehensible answer. I am not the Crown Prince's fiancée; I am merely an ordinary noblewoman.
Even from an objective standpoint, it was difficult to understand that they had made a contract with the Imperial Family to protect me.
Father fell silent again. I asked another question.
"From whom do you mean to protect me?"
"I can't tell you yet. I'm sorry."
Father shook his head. Seeing the hardened expression on his lips, I could tell him that no matter what I said, he would absolutely not speak right now.
It didn't seem like it would be given.
It was frustrating that I didn't know, even though it was a matter I was involved in, but I decided to take a step back for now. After all, saying it wasn't possible yet meant they would let me know someday.
"Then, I will ask just one more thing. Please answer this one thing."
"Alright, tell me."
"Did His Royal Highness the Crown Prince get engaged to me for that reason?"
" It wasn't just because of that reason."
"So you're saying it wasn't absolute, but it accounted for the largest share."
My father didn't say anything about the conclusion I had reached, but I knew it was the correct answer.
As I lowered my gaze, the cold tea came into view. As soon as my eyes touched the teacup, the quick-witted butler swiftly poured tea into another cup and served it.
I lifted the cup and took a sip of tea. A warmth that felt almost hot traveled down my throat and into my body.
“Beyonne.”
"yes."
"What is your intention?"
I put down the teacup and looked at my father. His blue eyes were staring intently at me.
"I thought you didn't want to become Empress. Was my guess wrong?"
“I hated it.”
To be honest, I still felt a sense of aversion to the position of Empress. It felt as though the sorrow, pain, and bone-chilling loneliness of that time would resurface. Though I knew in my head that things were different now than they were then, I could not help but feel an instinctive sense of rejection.
"It sounds like you're saying not now."
I turned my gaze away from my father and looked at the half-empty teacup. The tea the butler had just served was in its unadulterated state, with a vivid blue hue shining brightly.
Will you change along with him to adapt to this changed situation, just as lemon-infused tea turned crimson?
Or will I let him go as I originally intended?
A wry smile escaped my lips. Wasn't the conclusion already obvious, without even having to think about it again? I was left
I drank all the tea in one gulp.
"I have something I want. Please help me, Father."
At my request, my father's wrinkled eyes curved gently.
Comments
Post a Comment