Attention!!

Please do not copy and repost series from Novellatte. Please ask for permission first. Let's respect each other.

WMHMS - Chapter 89




Ah. Right!

Just as there are foods eaten on specific days, there is something here eaten on the last day of the spring festival.

'Orange confit.'

After tying orange confit into several cute shapes, coat them in chocolate and let them harden, then tie them once more with a ribbon.

But the cute part is that after putting this out at mealtime, everyone gives it only to the person they cherish the most.

"No. I was too busy to think about it!"

"What color ribbon would you like?"

"Pink, pink?"

"I will pass it on."

I nodded and called out to him urgently.

“Carcel!”

It was because I was nervous, as the unfamiliar atmosphere from just moments ago had not yet completely dissipated.

"Yes?"

"About the orange confit tomorrow. Should I just give both to Linea?"

"Ah. I was actually planning to do that."

Fortunately, it seemed that Carcel also thought of Linea first.

I nodded in relief.

"Even though Linea thinks we’ve become family, she might be disappointed if she doesn’t receive a gift on a day like this."

"Don't worry. Linea is my top priority, just the same for you."

"Hehehe."

I smiled as I looked at Carcel.

"Asha..."

"Yes?"

He moved his lips for a moment, then finally shook his head.

“It’s nothing."

"What is it? I thought something terrible had happened!"

"Shall we go put Linea to sleep now?"

And so, another day drew to a close.

***

I was sure I wouldn't be able to sleep if I shared a bed with Carcel, considering what happened yesterday.

'I slept really well.'

I slept so deeply that it could be considered a fainting spell, and I even skipped breakfast.

That was understandable, as I had been so nervous until yesterday that my nerves were on edge.

And fortunately, the Imperial Household did not summon me.

"We’re sharing orange confit at dinner tonight. Linea will probably give some to me, and Mother... There’s no way she’d give any to Carcel."

So, if they don't receive anything at the dinner table, Carcel and my mother might be a little upset too.

As soon as I believed it, I clutched my head at that very thought.

In the end, I am...

"Excuse me, by any chance, could you bring me a clean white handkerchief, thread, and a needle?"

I had no choice but to call my personal maid, Uni, and ask for her help.

Even though I could only give one orange confit, there was no rule saying I couldn't give something else.

Uni crept closer to me.

"Madam, are you going to embroider a handkerchief for the Marquis?"

"Yeah. I noticed the other day that Carcel didn't seem to have a handkerchief. How about embroidering initials on it?"

"Usually, people embroider initials and symbols! Since the Marquis's symbol is a stag with golden antlers, how about doing it like this?"

Then, Uni quickly drew a design.

"How does this feel?"

"It's really difficult, but... Uni is really good at drawing?"

"That's all we need! Then I'll help you out too!"

I started embroidering in earnest with the excited Uni.

Contrary to my expectation that I would finish this quickly since I have mended my own clothes since childhood, the handkerchief was not finished until almost evening.

It’s partly because I did two of them!

Hiding my pounding heart, I quietly went downstairs.

'I'll go out and give it to Carcel this evening.'

Even though I didn't do a good job, it turned out reasonably well, so for some reason, I felt proud.

Dinner was ordinary, as usual.

Today, except for the fact that Carcel sat and ate with Linea, and my mother and I sat together.

As he served the food Linea wanted into a bowl, Carcel seemed to be making a serious effort to get close to the child.

Because I also made silly remarks to Linea.

"What do you want to do at the festival today?"

"Lucian said there's a stretchy ice cream..."

"Ah, do you want to eat that ice cream?"

Linea nodded vigorously.

"Since today is the last day of the festival, I heard there is a circus and a carousel. Would you like to try them out?"

 "Yes!"

Linea's eyes sparkled at the things she had not yet experienced.

Meanwhile, my mother quietly struck up a conversation with me.

"You're going to the festival today, right?"

“Oh, yes!”

Actually, it had been a long time since I, too, could enjoy a festival with peace of mind!

"Tell that guy to carry all the luggage. And."

My mother placed something heavy on the table.

"What is this, Mother?"

"I heard that they hardly accept checks or banknotes at the festival. So I told you to exchange them for coins in advance."

I was startled and opened my eyes wide.

“Mother!”

"Things that are unnecessarily small and cute shouldn't go there for no reason and miss out on the fun of the festival because of useless problems."

"Thank you. Actually, I didn't exchange the money in advance, so..."

I was so focused on the handkerchief that I didn't even think of that.

Come to think of it, I realized that I hadn't asked my mother if she wanted to come along until now.

"Would you like to come along, Mom? They say there are fireworks tonight too!"

"Never mind. I hate crowded places."

Then, Mother quietly muttered.

"They say that if a couple kisses during the fireworks on the last day of the spring festival, they will stay together for a lifetime."

"Yes?"

"Hmm. It's nothing."

But Mother, for something so trivial, you whispered so clearly, even leaning your body toward me.

I blinked for a moment.

Carcel, sitting across from the dining table, still seemed to have become quite close with Linea.

Even though the child wasn't completely comfortable with him yet, he let out a small laugh.

'I think the time has come.'

I wasn't so foolish as to not know my feelings for Carcel.

I already knew, but I was waiting for a better time.

'Let's confess today!'

It seems like Carcel has already confessed to me dozens of times.

After the meal was finished and the table was neatly cleared, the chef finally brought out the orange confit.

The orange confit in the small gift box was not what I knew.

"Ha."

Befitting a Marquis, it was shaped like a deer, and a layer of real gold was applied to its antlers.

And there's even a pink ribbon tied around the neck so you can lift it without using your hands!

I was truly astonished by the orange confit, which looked like a work of art.

"Is this the orange confit I knew?"

Then the chef chuckled and slyly boasted.

"I did everything myself, from shaping with fresh orange peels to drying! I'm glad you are satisfied!"

Carcel and I exchanged glances.

A day like this is practically a day for children.

Linea also shouted, her cheeks flushed red.

"Actually... this is the first time I've received one!"

I suppose so. My ex-mother-in-law considered this childish, after all.

I blew to Linea.

"Then who are you going to give this to, Linea?"

The child glanced at Carcel and her grandmother when she saw my face, which was filled with anticipation.

Then Carcel said with a smile.

"Don't worry, just give it to the person you want to give it to."

“Yeah, really?”

Finally, Linea got off the chair, tossed around the table... and came to me!

"I want to give it to my mom."

"Oh my, that's so clever!"

I hugged Linea tightly as she quietly held out the gift box.

Then, I lifted the child up and rubbed my cheek against Linea's white cheek.

"Mommy is going to eat Linea. What am I going to do with you being this cute?"

Then the child laughed so hard she almost fainted.

The sound of the child’s distinctive giggling was so lovely that Carcel and my mother-in-law wore pleased smiles on their faces.

Linea, who gave me the orange confit, looked a little hesitant and apologized to the two of them.

"I, I'm sorry. It's just the only one."

"It's alright. Linea is a gift to me, so I don't need anything material."

Carcel, who had said that, also stood up and approached us.

"Linea, I will give you a little happiness."

“A little happiness?”

I tilted my head.

Carcel nodded as he took an orange confit out of a small box and handed it to Linea.

"In the past, our ancestors called this confit a small happiness, and it was a precious food."

"I suppose it is luxurious, considering you would need sugar, chocolate, and even oranges to make that possible back then."

"That is why the tradition of giving this small happiness, which can only be enjoyed once a year, to the person you like the most came into existence."

It was then.

This time, the mother-in-law pushed Carcel aside and squeezed her way in.

"My child, I will give you not a small happiness, but a great one, so do not forget."

Then he handed me a huge gift box.

A tremendous sweet smell wafted out even before the box was opened.

With a triumphant expression, Mother said to Linea, "I wonder how it is."

"I clearly gave you greater happiness than your father did."

"What kind of competition is this?"

Pushing away Carcel's cheek in disbelief, my mother-in-law smirked at Linnea and me.

"I may not be able to match the happiness you gave me and my family, but..."

Although her tone was rough, she spoke with unusually warm words today.

"Thank you for becoming part of our family."

Linnea opened her eyes wide upon hearing those words.

The child's eyes shone like stars.

Linea, sitting on my lap, opened the gift box.

Then, not only was there orange confit, but various high-end snacks were neatly packed in each compartment.

Linea was impressed.

"How can something be this pretty? Thank you so much, Grandma!"

"Now that you will be able to receive as much as you want for the rest of your life, you should get used to it; there is no need to thank me for every single thing."

Mother's face was somewhat stern as she said that, but it also contained subtle support for Linea.

"You are a member of the Duke of Lakan and a child of the Marquis of Rivandel. You need not be wary of anyone, nor have you any reason to bow your head to anyone."


Previous                        Next



Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments