Attention!!

Please do not copy and repost series from Novellatte. Please ask for permission first. Let's respect each other.

WMHMS - Chapter 74



There was no possibility at all.

“What are the recent trends?”

"I bought a plot of land on the outskirts of Cell Six... but they say it's useless. However, one questionable point is..."

Count Tabes cautiously began to speak.

"Her family is on the verge of ruin, and it has recently been revealed that the Count of Delmore family did not treat her daughter-in-law and granddaughter very well either."

"She must have received the inheritance. Doesn't the trust fund go to his wife and children, excluding the property that must be unconditionally transferred under inheritance law?"

"I understand that she didn't even receive that from her in-laws. However, it is somewhat questionable where she obtained such a large sum of money to purchase the land."

Her conduct was suspicious in many ways.

Eventually, the Emperor issued an order.

"Keep an eye on them. You never know what they might be secretly plotting there."

"Yes"

"It might be a scam. Or it could be that my younger brother instigated it."

"I think the possibility is low, but I will look into it just in case."

The Emperor, having said that, pressed his temples firmly with his fingertips.

The Count asked him as he struggled to suppress the various anxieties welling up inside him.

"Do you... happen to still have severe insomnia?"

"The medicine you gave me isn't working anymore."

"It seems you have developed a tolerance. Above all, Your Majesty needs to be at peace physically and mentally for your insomnia to improve."

Count Tabes was worried about the Emperor, whose condition only worsened every time, far from getting better.

The Emperor waved his hand.

Even to Count Tabes, whom he trusted the most, he could not reveal all his inner thoughts.

"What did former Duchess Lakan say?"

"They say she is willing to hold a wedding for the two."

"It's strange to think they got married in such a rush without even holding a wedding ceremony."

"I understand that this is due to the custody of the adopted daughter. I know what your concerns are, but..."

Even though the Count tried to soothe him, the Emperor waved his hand dismissively as if annoyed.

"That's enough. Instead, proceed with the wedding for the two of them at the Great Temple."

"Huh?"

The Count was puzzled upon hearing the unexpected decision.

At this, the Emperor furrowed his brow deeply and muttered anxiously.

"They will undoubtedly try to invite Lucian, but wouldn't I be able to control the situation if we held the wedding at the Grand Temple rather than going to that house for no reason?"

"Then, if you prevent His Royal Highness the Crown Prince from going in the first place..."

"Lucian told me that for the first time in his life, he had found a friend he could treat normally without caring about anything."

Although he was an Emperor burdened with the immense duty of the empire, he was also a father.

That is also the only trace his wife left in the world.

"This is the first time my son has sincerely wanted to do something, so as his father, how could I break his will?"

"You are right."

The Count nodded, understanding the Emperor's deep affection for his son.

"Grant Lucian what he wants, but since his safety must be guaranteed as the top priority, convey this message to the Duke's family."

"Are you saying that the two of them will hold their wedding ceremony at the Great Temple?"

"Right, as a justification, we can say that we are granting special permission to marry at the Grand Temple to honor their merit in saving a child the state should have protected and revealing the truth."

The Count agreed.

"That seems like sufficient justification."

"The Imperial Family will cover all expenses, and the wedding ceremony must be held as soon as possible."

"Yes."

"Then you may go out now. I need to rest for a while."

When the Emperor said he would rest, it usually meant that he was going to the Imperial Chapel where the Empress's tomb was located.

Even after ten years had passed, the wife he could not protect remained an irreversible scar on the Emperor.

Count Tabes, aware of this, could not say anything and simply withdrew quietly.

However, the fact that the Emperor's decision became an edict and was immediately sent to the Marquis's mansion was irreversible.

***

"Yes?!"

What is going on? I woke up this morning.

Carcel tried to talk to me briefly alone before we even had a meal, so I thought it was about Isar.

"So, does that mean His Majesty the Emperor has ordered the marriage to take place in the Grand Palace unconditionally?" 

"You may refuse."

Carcel also had a troubled look in his eyes.

I said this as if I were dumbfounded.

"I suppose I could do it! But getting caught is just a matter of time!"

According to the edict, it is unclear whether the Emperor was also informed of the incident at the ball, but it states that he 'saved the child and revealed the truth'...

Anyone can tell he must have ulterior motives.

I held the decree with trembling hands and stared at it for a long time.

I didn't understand at all.

There was no communication and understanding.

'The Emperor in the original story isn't the type to commend every single trivial matter like this.'

In other words, I mean that my true intention is absolutely not because I am admirable.

There are definitely other reasons.

'I wonder if I was suspected.'

This is actually a more plausible hypothesis.

"Carcel, it seems I have really fallen out of favor with His Imperial Majesty."

"That can't be true. How could anyone possibly look down on Asha?"

Carcel looked as if he had heard something he truly couldn't understand.

I shook my head and opened my mouth.

"I also... His Imperial Majesty..."

I lowered my voice as I glanced around, even though I knew there was no one else there.

"...I know he is a very suspicious person."

“Yes, of course.”

"When word reached His Majesty the Emperor about the commotion caused by my mother-in-law and me, and he heard that Carcel and I had married without permission and of our own accord, he surely..."

I let out a small sigh.

"He must have thought I was something unique."

"Perhaps..."

Carcel trailed off, as if he knew the Emperor's personality well.

"Besides, Carcel actually knew that Lucian was the Crown Prince, didn't you?"

"Yes."

Carcel wasn't surprised at all that day, but if he had eyes, he would have known.

Lucian, who was naturally blending in and playing among the others, turned out to be His Royal Highness the Crown Prince, who usually did not reveal himself unless authorized due to assassination threats.

"Just think about it. How suspicious would that be? I suddenly married Carcel, the Duke of Lakan and Marquis of Rivandel."

"Since His Highness and Linea even became friends."

"It is clear that His Majesty, who is full of suspicion, is managing the situation."

Carcel slowly nodded at my words.

"Do not worry. I have already requested an audience, and it has been granted."

"Please don't mention this directly to His Imperial Majesty. You know that, right?"

"If he asks me first, I will also tell him the truth then."

“Truthfully?”

I knew he would handle himself better than I would, but just in case, I asked him again.

"I fell in love unilaterally at first sight and clung to Asha's skirt until we barely managed to get married."

No, why are you making such a pathetic face while saying that?

Carcel chuckled.

"So, I am saying that failing to get permission to marry Asha was solely due to my rash judgment, born out of a desperate fear of losing her."

"Do you think that would work?"

"But is there even one lie among these?"

"It is partly true, but..."

He bowed his head to me.

Then, he gently pulled the tip of my chin.

"Asha."

I looked up at him and slowly closed and opened my eyes.

"Yes?"

For some reason, the red eyes staring into me deepened.

Just as I couldn't even hide my momentary bewilderment at the sudden closeness, Carcel spoke.

"I know there are many things to worry about, but please leave this matter to me."

Carcel comforted me as if he had read the anxiety in my eyes.

"Asha hasn't done anything wrong, and I'm here, aren't I? You just need to think of it as a matter that will be resolved once we hold the wedding at the Great Temple."

"...That’s probably it, right?"

"Once I sign the contract with Isar today, Asha and Isar, please go to the site first. I will go first to have an audience with His Imperial Majesty."

Carcel languidly curled the corners of his mouth and smiled at me.

"There is no need to worry about anything."

Judging by his face alone, he looked sly, as if he were plotting a thousand schemes, but in reality, he was just trying to give me a sense of security.

"All right."

So, I also trusted him, and doing my part well was also for Carcel's sake.

"Carcel works hard at the work assigned to you. I'll do my job too. I'll do a good job today, so don't worry."

Thanks to that, I felt much more relieved and was able to smile.

Then Carcel gently let go of my chin and tucked my hair behind my ear. At the tickling touch, I subtly averted my gaze.

'The vibe is so soft and gentle that I can't make eye contact.'


Previous                    Next


Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee






Comments