"Yes."
Isn’t it natural?
It was impossible for there to always be only good and happy things.
If we regard the ups and downs of life as light and shadow, then naturally, where there are good days, there are also bad days.
"But Lady Bellion, some lives... are branded as someone's shadow the moment they are born."
Roselyn kept her mouth shut at the captain of the guard's words.
"Some people are compelled to live forever in someone's shadow, as if the mere sin of being born is enough. They are pointed at for their entire lives and treated like trash that cannot even be burned."
"It's funny."
There was not a trace of laughter in the voice adding that it was funny.
Roselyn walked slowly and opened her mouth after a long silence.
"Even so, you must not torment others by giving in to your own greed and selfishness. They surely had their reasons, and there might have been a misunderstanding."
As Roselyn continued to speak, the captain of the Royal Guard slowed his pace, and his expression began to wrinkle beyond just crumpling.
"...So, first of all, try loving people. It is something like, the reason you view the world darkly is that people are lacking, blah blah blah."
"... Yes?"
"If I say that, it would be blunt talk, and I suppose it’s the established view, right? Let me speak honestly, incorporating my personal feelings..."
Roselyn stopped walking, smiled, and spun around.
"That is the fault of the one who gave birth to the child."
"..."
"I think the one who couldn't keep their lower body in check is at fault...You know what I'm saying."
"I thought you were going to give me a riddle or something, but wasn't it?"
Roselyn shrugged her shoulders, pulled her hand away from the escort, and strolled through the spacious garden of the imperial castle.
The captain of the guard, who had been standing still for quite a while, also followed Roselyn and strolled through the garden.
"There aren't that many cases where being born is a sin."
Roselyn slowly stopped walking.
"The most common among them would be illegitimate children of unclear origin in the aristocratic world."
"...They say that beasts that are too smart are quickly disposed of."
"Why? Are you afraid he'll realize his situation quickly and run away?"
The captain of the Royal Guard smiled back with a subtle smile at the radiant smile Roselyn wore, like a rose holding thorns.
"...Because he realizes that he is a hunting dog destined to be used and killed. It becomes a difficult situation when a hunting dog finds out that it is afraid of dying, doesn't it?"
At the captain of the guard's words, Roselyn stood silently beyond the rose bush and looked at the middle-aged man.
"Must a person born as a shadow live as a shadow for their entire life?"
"No."
Roselyn shrugged her shoulders and said.
"Is a life branded as junk just for being born destined to live as junk for the rest of its life?"
“Not even that.”
Roselyn shook her head in the same way.
"You can't call being born a sin."
Although she said that, it was a remark that Roselyn was finally able to speak calmly.
"However, having lived a short life... if I may dare say so, the moment you decide to use the misfortune given to you as an excuse to harm others, it becomes a sin."
"So, are you saying that the life I’ve lived as a sinner was just a misfortune brought on by bad luck, so I should just endure it and move on?"
Roselyn shrugged her shoulders.
"Well, I've always thought that was the case, too."
Roselyn slowly turned her head and murmured softly.
"I also used to think being born was a sin, but after dying and coming back to life, I realized there were more people who liked me than I thought."
Roselyn is also roughly aware of the life of living as an illegitimate child.
However, in Roselyn's case, it would probably be more accurate to say that she got scared prematurely and lived in her own delusion.
Roselyn did not know what it felt like to live as someone's shadow.
However, she knew what it felt like to live alone, forgotten by someone.
"I was so busy just trying to make ends meet that I only looked straight ahead, and I realized I missed out on a lot, which I regret."
Perhaps Roselyn was slowly looking back on the path she had walked so far.
Stopping from looking only straight ahead, looking to the left and to the right, and looked back at the path she had walked.
And she also looked back at the past that she regretted.
At that point, Roselyn made a definite decision.
Roselyn will die.
"So, I’m finding places for them one by one where they originally wanted to be, and it feels actually quite good, more than I expected."
At Roselyn's meaningful remark, the captain of the Royal Guard merely looked puzzled and did not add anything to it.
"There are things you don't know unless you tell them. Why don't you put revenge aside for a moment and try having a conversation?"
She will return to the original world and personally restore each one to its place.
"May I ask why you turned down the position of Queen?"
"It looks like you don't even intend to hide it anymore. The reason is simple. It's because I have no interest in it. Overthrowing the world, reclaiming the rights of illegitimate children..."
Roselyn smiled yelpingly, the corners of her mouth curving.
"Isn't that too cliché?"
Roselyn will restore the past she regretted so much back to how it was.
"Above all, I am a selfish and greedy person by nature, so as long as you don't interfere with my work, I won't care what you do."
You will hope to change the past so that your future self can be happy.
Ultimately, Roselyn is a selfish person. After all, even wishing for the happiness of others is for the sake of her own happiness.
"But our Knight has been such a nuisance lately."
Roselyn strode over, took a fan from inside her sleeve, and lightly placed it under the captain of the Royal Guard's chin as she spoke.
"Did you happen to hear what happened to Lady Carmel?"
"...Well, I did hear rumors that she lost her limbs, had her tongue cut off, and was abandoned somewhere."
"...Is that what they said?"
Roselyn frowned at Carmen's unexpected end.
Then again, it would be strange to expect her to be fine after ruining an entire family just to kill them.
"Anyway, I can bother you as much as I want. So please don't cause any harm to those around me."
"What does 'surroundings' mean?"
"The Duchy of Bellion. And Kaluta, my plans to break off the engagement, but has decided to become friends with my fiancé, the 3rd Prince, for now, as well as Princess Kaluta's fiancé, the 2nd Prince."
As Roselyn continued to speak, the space between the captain's eyebrows narrowed.
"Lady Bellion is very greedy."
“I know.”
"...Yes. I’m glad you know."
The captain of the Royal Guard looked down at Roselyn with a look that seemed to say, "What kind of bastard is this?" but still went along with it appropriately.
"Well then, I think I've conveyed my message, so I'll be going now."
It was the moment Roselyn turned around.
Sreuung.
With a chilling sound, the blade narrowly touched her neck.
"I am curious, as expected. How did you know about me? And about Makluxa as well..."
"...Obsessive men aren't popular."
"Haha, believe it or not, I was quite popular in my younger days. I just had to live my whole life as the shadow of the sun."
Roselyn's eyes widened at the captain of the guard's words.
“...No way.”
"Young lady, some lives remain as shadows, their very existence forgotten forever. When you die, you become a human being whom no one remembers, a person who never even existed."
Listening to the low murmuring voice, Roselyn gently rolled the Seven-Star Stone bracelet on her wrist.
This is because she intended to use it just in case it was really dangerous.
'Why did I think only noble families would have illegitimate children?'
Come to think of it, the place with the most secrets is the imperial family.
Considering that the imperial family had likely hidden more than one illegitimate child over the years, his existence was not surprising.
"If you kill me here, it's going to cause a big problem."
"Well, I think it would be more dangerous to let the young lady go."
Roselyn slowly inhaled at the man's words.
"My very first memory is that of my father ordering me to be sent to the training camp, as if I were a nuisance to be disposed of."
"..."
"My mother, whom I thought was doing well, was murdered one day to keep me quiet, and my half-siblings, who had been trained and gone on missions or to the battlefield, died one by one."
Roselyn remained silent at the leisurely continuing explanation.
It seemed like she wouldn't be visible from the outside, as she was hidden by a tall rose vine.
"For the sake of a single sun."
"It is only natural for a subject of an empire to protect the King of a nation."
"I trained my entire life for a half-brother whose face I had never seen, and survived the battlefield where I was thrown to my death; to find that my father, the Emperor, was dead, and my brother had become the Great Majesty, loved and even acting as a human being. He has the exact same face as my father."
Roselyn remained silent at the seething voice of the old man, who had been steeped in resentment and hatred for a long time.
This was because, although she understood his anger, Roselyn could not empathize with it at all.
"You should have just run."
After contemplating for a moment, Roselyn narrowed her eyebrows and spoke.
"...What did you say?"
"I was wondering if it wouldn't have been resolved if you had just run away. I don't know why you wasted nearly half a century with that ability."
Roselyn, having stepped slightly away from the sword, rubbed the nape of her neck where the sword had touched and spoke indifferently.
"I'm sorry if it seems like you're asking for my empathy, but that's usually called a waste of time."
The man's face hardened at Roselyn's words.
Previous Next
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment