Attention!!

Please do not copy and repost series from Novellatte. Please ask for permission first. Let's respect each other.

TVHR - Chapter 56




"...The Princess is saying similar things to someone I know. She, too, told me to my face that she disliked me."

He murmured with a very longing expression, then looked at Roselyn.

"From the beginning, my role in Kaluta's diplomatic affairs was merely to act as a go-between. Furthermore, I understand that many diplomats in the Empire are more capable than me."

"This is the first time I've seen someone try so hard to turn down the position of the Prince's fiancée."

The Emperor and Roselyn had different conversations.

'What a waste.'

She is too talented to just let go. It was understandable that Arma would like her.

"Your Majesty, if I may be presumptuous, may I say a few words?"

“What?”

"It wouldn't be a bad idea to pair your youngest son with a fiancée who would be fine to have by your side, but how about you just apologize for everything that has happened so far? Nothing works better than conversation for restoring a relationship."

"... What?"

The Emperor blinked once, unable to understand the words at once.

"I also resolved it through a conversation with my father. I realized for the first time how frail he is and how much he cries."

"...You mean the Young Duke?"

"Yes. Your Majesty, why don't you go and cry honestly as well? It seems that children are surprisingly soft to their parents' tears."

A heavy, meaningless silence fell at Roselyn's indifferent words.

"....First, coordination with Kaluta is necessary."

After a long silence, the Emperor pretended not to have heard Roselyn's words and brushed them off.

Roselyn frowned slightly at the fact that her words had been ignored, but the Emperor pretended not to notice and continued speaking. It was because the remark was too absurd to even answer.

"Kaluta was more adamant than expected, stating that he would not speak unless you joined."

"...Is it Kaluta?"

"Yeah, the young leader of Kaluta said so."

Roselyn remained silent for a moment.

'Are you talking about Batar when you say, young leader?'

If it was what he said, it was highly likely that he had received it from Khan.

Now that she had declared she would establish diplomatic relations, Roselyn needed to help Kaluta until she could view the transaction with peace of mind.

After a brief silence, Roselyn nodded.

"I understand. Since the Khan of Kaluta has also expressed his desire to visit, I will arrange a meeting that includes matters regarding the delegation."

Roselyn readily accepted the Emperor's explanation.

At that, the Emperor also nodded without bringing up the topic of breaking off the engagement again.

"It's about time I asked you to take care of the missing persons cases as well. Anxiety is rising because not only the children of the Empire's citizens but also the children of the nobility are disappearing."

"Yes. I will take care of it as long as I feel well."

"Is there anything else you need?"

"Ah..."

At the Emperor's question, Roselyn lowered her eyes once.

"Can you lend me His Highness the Second Prince?"

"...Does the Princess perhaps like Yuldian?"

"I think he's the worst in terms of character, but I like the Abyss he possesses."

"..."

The Emperor paused at the rather scathing assessment.

"Does the Princess know who you are sitting in front of right now?"

"Yes, the noble and radiant Sub......."

The Emperor raised his hand to stop Roselyn from speaking.

Roselyn closed her mouth.

"Even so, you speak quite directly."

"I'm sorry. I thought it was better than the phrase 'trashy character, total scoundrel,' but I guess I was wrong."

"..."

A look of bewilderment crossed the Emperor's face.

'Didn't you end up doing both?'

The Emperor paused at a sudden thought.

The Second Prince certainly has a rough temperament and tends to act recklessly, but is he really to the extent of being called trash and a complete scoundrel?

"...It's not quite that extreme, is it?"

Roselyn stared at the Emperor for a moment, then slowly nodded.

"...What is it?"

The nuance was strong that although they did not agree at all, they would hold back because they couldn't speak ill of the child in front of their parents.

However, anyway, Roselyn kept her mouth shut.

"His Highness the Second Prince's Abyss is animal-friendly, so I think it will make searching easier."

"..."

"And speaking of His Highness the Second Prince, what are your thoughts on a royal marriage with Kaluta?"

Roselyn asked the Emperor.

A puzzled gaze fell upon the Emperor.

"Don't you think the royal marriage with Kaluta would be okay?"

"Kaluta wouldn't be interested in something like that."

"If they are interested?"

Roselyn smiled brightly.

The corners of her mouth curled up, and her curved eyes held a hint of a smile. It was as if life was springing from the expressionless face.

The Emperor was slightly surprised as he looked at the woman wearing an extremely seductive smile.

"The Kaluta are a people of loyalty, famous for never abandoning what is within their own borders. As long as the Empire doesn't betray them first, there would be no country as trustworthy as them."

"It sounds like you're certain of the loss; is that the Abyss too?"

"Yes."

Roselyn spoke with a smiling face. Her face was so radiant that it didn't look like she was speaking in a calculating way.

"Certainly, it wouldn't be bad if Kaluta took the form of a nation and sided with us. But the question is whether they have the will to do so."

“They said they would.”

Roselyn said.

"...What?"

"Your Majesty said it yourself. That the conditions are to establish a capital and take on the form of a nation."

"... I told you it was just to pass the message on for now, but are you saying you actually did it?"

The Emperor asked.

Roselyn nodded calmly.

"Because I thought I needed to do so as well."

"..."

Roselyn's resourcefulness was quite unexpected.

Seeing the Emperor's surprised eyes, Roselyn opened her mouth again.

"Anyway, Kaluta's only Princess is very fond of His Highness the Second Prince. If this diplomatic effort goes well, I think the royal marriage might also be successfully arranged."

The Emperor paused at Roselyn's words.

It was because the triumphant smile exuded a subtle nuance, as if she had somehow anticipated this outcome.

"Princess, surely the reason you wanted the Second Prince is..."

The Emperor's eyes narrowed.

"..."

Roselyn smiled silently.

The Emperor easily read the meaning hidden beneath that cheerful smile.

"Heh..."

The Emperor let out a hollow laugh.

"What happened with the arson case? From what I heard from Garen... I heard you were involved."

"...Did Marquis Garen say that?"

As Roselyn frowned, the Emperor nodded.

"...Damn human being.”

She murmured softly, let out a long sigh, and frowned.

"Ah. Come to think of it, there is one more thing I need."

“What do you need?”

"Yes."

Roselyn smiled and spoke quietly.

The Emperor looked at Roselyn, burst into a hollow laugh, and then nodded.

Roselyn left the drawing room with a big smile.

It was a satisfactory negotiation in its own way.

***

Roselyn had a lot to do. This was because Kalutain acted as if he would not do anything without Roselyn.

It was only before this that the Duke of Bellion and Kaluta had finished their conversation regarding the 'technician'.

The Emperor, after conversing with Roselyn, wrote a handwritten letter and invitation welcoming the Khan of Kaluta to visit the Empire.

Khan replied to him.

Anyway, as a result, things went well, and about a month later, Kalutain was scheduled to visit the Imperial City.

The Empire was buzzing with excitement over the unprecedented exchange with Kaluta. Some were anxious, while others were filled with anticipation.

The other country was on high alert. Even though Kaluta had been acting like a hooligan until now, no one had been able to stop them.

Still, they probably thought it was fortunate that they hadn't interacted with anyone.

'And that balance was broken.'

And the most powerful empire is about to acquire that power.

They must be quite anxious in a foreign land. Although Kaluta may look small, it is a powerful group whose combined number exceeds one hundred.

Roselyn slowly blinked her eyes.

When they entered the empire, she had to stay in the imperial palace during the period of the Kalutain's visit.

'The most urgent thing right now is solving the missing person case.'

Roselyn thought calmly and put down the teacup she had been tilting.

When I looked up, I saw Cherty with a stiff, rigid expression, in stark contrast to the relaxed demeanor she had during the day.

"Father."

"Yes."

"May I go now?"

Rosielin spoke as she looked at Cherty, who had chained her wrist and was holding her captive with no intention of letting her go.

It wasn't heavy at all, but perhaps because there was an abyss of bondage, he couldn't get away from Cherty at all.

"Absolutely not. You aren't fully recovered yet."

"Is it really impossible? His Royal Highness the Second Prince has an appointment scheduled with Marquis Garen."

"Yes."

Roselyn sighed at Cherty's firm words.

“Then I can’t do it.”

As Roselyn gave up obediently, Cherty frowned with an uneasy expression.

“What do you mean?”

"It is difficult to work in such a restrictive home. I think I will leave until the assigned task is resolved. I will stay at Marquis Garen's house."

Cherty stopped abruptly at Roselyn's words.

The stiffened Cherty looked at Roselyn with his eyes wide open.

"...You."

“I’m just kidding.”

Roselyn smiled.

"...Hmm, wasn't it fun?"

Cherty let out a hollow laugh.

“Daughter.”

"Yes."

"You have no talent for jokes, so don't do it. I thought my heart was going to drop."

He quietly untied the chains and spoke very seriously.

"Answer."

When Roselyn remained silent, Cherty urged her on.

"... Yes."

Roselyn spoke after a brief silence, as if feeling regretful.

"Go ahead, Roselyn."

"Yes."

She answered calmly and stood there blankly, staring at Cherty.

“Is there anything else you want to say?”

"Would it be presumptuous of me to ask for a hug just once?"

Cherty's eyes widened slightly.

He strode over and pulled Roselyn into his arms.

“I’ll be back.”

After pulling away at the end of a brief hug, Roselyn spoke in a low voice.

Cherty's eyes widened slightly.

"Alright, go ahead."

"..."

Roselyn, who was turning her body, paused for a moment.

"Yes."

She answered quietly and left the drawing room.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee






Comments