The attendant broke out in a cold sweat. It was due to the intense heat he had never experienced before. He cautiously glanced at the owner of the heat source.
However, the moment he saw the menacingly distorted face, he quickly averted his gaze. It was because he felt as though the person would burn him to death the moment their eyes met.
Noelier did not hide the murderous intent lingering in his body.
You completely ignored my letters and requests for an audience all this time, so what is the reason you are summoning me now?
Besides, to be dawdling like this in a situation where every second counts. And for a mere agent at that.
'If it weren't for Eve.'
He would have burned it all down and still had plenty left over. The fact that he is holding back like this now is the result of scraping together what little patience he had left.
The headache worsened. It was as if he was struggling to suppress the raging heat.
The door opened with a loud noise.
"You're here so fast." A crooked smile spread across Noelier's face.
“I’m sorry I’m late.”
The representative approached him with a gentle smile.
'You seem to be a good apologist.'
Noelier waved his hand as if to say it was over. He had already wasted a lot of time. He didn't want to engage in a pointless argument.
The agent, sensing the expression, spoke up.
"I have reviewed all the documents you sent."
“What is the conclusion?”
The agent answered with a casual smile.
"He said he could not accept it."
"Ha."
A hollow laugh escaped him. The possibility was there. It meant that even though it was worth checking out, he wouldn't do it.
"Is that really true? You say it doesn't even need to be verified?"
The agent nodded at Noelier's question.
"Yes. So, he said he hopes this won't happen again in the future."
"You won't regret saying that, will you?"
"Yes. His Majesty does not reverse a decision once it has been made."
What a foolish King.
Noelier rose from his seat. If he said he wouldn't check it himself, he had no intention of forcing him either.
To be honest, deep down, it was actually for the best. Of course, the problem was how to convey this to Eve, but that was another matter entirely.
He said in a cold voice.
"Tell them that there will be no reversal."
"Yes, I will tell you so."
Leaving the agent who was bowing his head behind, Noelier turned around.
Before completely leaving the room, he stopped and looked back.
He would cut off all ties completely. Since they said so, there was no need to treat them kindly anymore.
He was not a kind-hearted man to begin with. He did not want to waste the affection he had for Eve on such a futile thing.
Having gathered up even the little patience he had left, all that remained was the ashes after burning.
'So, wouldn't it be okay?'
After hesitating for a very short time, he started walking forward again.
He felt that even the time spent hesitating like this was a waste.
'Eve.'
The thought of her made his headache worse. If he were to meet her again...
A burning thirst arose. The heat was intensifying.
Noelier, who had been habitually fiddling with the neck restraint, let out a trembling breath and closed his eyes.
***
The salty smell of the sea stung my nose. As soon as I got off the cat bus, a cat—that is, Miya—jumped onto my shoulder.
“It’s heavy.”
"But isn't it better than losing it?"
Miya patted my cheek as if to tell me to think positively.
The East was a very large port city, befitting a place where mermaids live. I looked around and then shifted my gaze toward Miya.
"So, where do I go now?"
"Follow me this way. There is someone I know well."
"Aren't you going straight to the mermaid?"
Miya snorted at my question.
"Mermaids don't meet just anyone. And they are even less likely to meet outsiders."
"Then..."
"You’ll have to take the long way around. But it’s okay! Because I’m here!"
"Just trust me and follow me!" Miya held out her paw straight forward. It meant for me to follow her straight ahead.
"..."
Can I really believe this? I let out a faint sigh and walked forward.
"You just need to go this way. I know a merchant."
“Really?”
“That’s right.”
I followed Miya inside. As befits a port city, it was full of fishermen.
'Are the fish that turned into humans just catching fish and selling them...'
I felt a lingering unpleasant taste in my mouth for no reason.
How long did it take to walk like that?
“There it is!”
Miya jumped off my shoulder. Then, as she hurriedly ran, Miya tapped a merchant's leg.
“Huh? Miya?”
"Long time no see."
A fisherman with green hair quickly recognized Miya. Miya waved her wet front paws and greeted him.
"What's going on here? And why do you look like that?"
"I changed like this because of something. I came here today because I need help. I have to meet a mermaid."
"Mermaid?"
"Yes. If possible, I would like to meet the leader."
I quickly squeezed between them. Miya gently scratched my leg as if asking what I was doing, but I ignored her.
"It’s hard enough just meeting a mermaid, but you’re saying you’re going to meet the leader?"
The fisherman gaped. I lowered my eyebrows, pretending to be troubled.
"...Would it be difficult?"
"Talk sense! He won't meet anyone!"
"Then what about the other mermaids?"
"Well, the other mermaids might be easy compared to the leader, but..."
He trailed off, looking embarrassed.
That's enough. I forced myself to hide the smile forming on my lips.
"But, you must have things equivalent to that, right?"
I nodded and rummaged through my pockets.
As I took out the jewel Shiva had given me, the fisherman narrowed his eyes. He scrutinized the jewel from all angles like an expert and clicked his tongue in disapproval.
"This isn't even close."
"Yes?"
"These cheap jewels won't do any good. They don't look like they'd appeal to a mermaid."
"What? Cheap?! Damn it!"
"With what intention did Shiva give it to me!" I shouted, glaring at him, and the fisherman flinched.
Oh dear. I quickly composed myself. Getting angry like this wouldn't change anything.
"Isn't there another way? Please, I beg you."
No matter how much I pleaded, the fisherman simply shook his head. He said that the jewels were nowhere near enough.
I despaired again. How could I let this opportunity, which I had come so far to, be squandered so futilely?
But there was no way.
Miya and I sat on the pier and stared blankly at the blue sea.
"I'm telling you, let's just do business in the West together."
Thinking this was an opportunity, Miya gently tried to coax me. I glared at Miya.
"You said you had a lot of money, so why don't you have a single penny right now?"
"Hey, money just circulates. The real rich don't carry things around. Your face is your credibility."
"Then hurry back to normal!"
"It's because the medicine is too strong. I didn't know it would turn out like this, either..."
Miya trailed off awkwardly. I glared at Miya, then looked back at the blue sea and let out a sigh.
'What am I really going to do now?'
I came all the way to the East, but I didn't harvest a single thing.
You said you would take responsibility, yet you can't do anything. I had no face to show Noelier. Carrying the mounting depression on my back, I hung my head low.
Then, the voices of nearby fishermen tidying up their anchors reached my ears.
"You're going again today, right?"
"Again? Aren't you tired of it?"
"Just because I haven't rung the Golden Bell yet doesn't mean I can't give up until I ring it."
"Don't obsess too much over hitting the jackpot in life. You'll end up losing everything if you do."
Two words captivated my mind.
'Golden Bell. One shot in life.'
I jumped up.
Meow! Miya, who had quietly snuggled into my arms, asking for a massage, dropped down, but I didn't mind.
I strode toward the fishermen. They looked at me with bewildered eyes.
"Where can I ring that Golden Bell?"
It seemed like there was absolutely no way.
***
Miya let out a hollow laugh and shook her head.
"I’ve met all sorts of people in my life as a businessman... but seriously, you’re the first one like me."
“Thank you for the compliment.”
Having responded half-heartedly, I gazed at the building in front of me with a determined look.
On the towering building, shrouded in darkness, it read:
<Casino>
Previous Next
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment