Attention!!

Please do not copy and repost series from Novellatte. Please ask for permission first. Let's respect each other.

TFLCM - Chapter 70




"So, you mean I just need to go meet a mermaid?"

The cat nodded at my words.

Before I knew it, the day had grown dark.

Zion was wandering in dreamland with a plump loaf of bread pressed against the desk.

According to what the cat told me, mermaids have eyes that can see the truth.

Of course, revealing the truth is a heaven-sent taboo, so I won't speak of it...

"Wait a minute. Then meeting a mermaid wouldn't do any good!"

I clutched my head in despair. Regardless, the cat washed its face while licking its paws.

Just when I thought I was getting some clues, I was back to square one.

I was just sighing heavily when the cat pressed my hand firmly as if to comfort me.

It felt like it was saying, "Hang in there, my personal masseuse."

"This is a comfort, too," I chuckled and tickled the back of its neck. The cat closed its eyes tightly and enjoyed my touch.

'Yeah, nothing to lose.'

I decided to go find a mermaid first. They say if it doesn't work, make it work.

“Thanks for the comfort.”

I smiled as I rubbed the cat's forehead.

'I should keep it a secret from Noel, right?'

It was said to be a mermaid who could see the truth. It would be a disaster if it were revealed that I was a wolf.

'I want to reveal it with my own mouth at the very least.'

However, it was clear that people would be worried if I disappeared without saying a word.

"No way. They haven't even shown their face, so why worry!"

I was going back and forth. My mood was running wild.

I huffed and puffed for no reason and focused back on my book. The cat opened its mouth wide and yawned as if to say, "You've worked hard."

***

Hopper broke out in a sweat and glanced to the side. The other servants also looked distressed, struggling with the heat.

The surroundings were filled with stifling heat. It meant the leader was in a bad mood.

'This is the first time since the former leader passed away.'

That meant that if you weren't careful, you could catch fire too.

Hopper swallowed hard. He craved a glass of cold water more than ever.

The servants looked at Hopper as if pleading, "Please say something, anything." Feeling the stinging gaze, Hopper cautiously opened his mouth.

“...Leader.”

"What?"

"..."

And then he immediately shut his mouth. He wanted to quit his post and whatever, and run away. That was how terrifying the atmosphere in Noelier was.

'I thought you had changed since Lady Eve came.'

Hopper wiped the sweat from his forehead and thought, "Why has the heat intensified? Could it be that the two of them have fallen out?"

'How could you think of someone we served with such care!'

Lady Eve could have packed her bags and left the castle. That must not happen. A plan had to be devised.

Let's ask in the roundabout way possible, without making it obvious...

"Did you two perhaps have a fight?"

"..."

However, unfortunately, Hopper had no talent for beating around the bush.

"You damn mouth!" Hopper slapped his own snout.

At the sound of a sharp slap, Noelier slowly raised his head.

Noelier's eyes were incredibly cold. They were piercingly cold, in stark contrast to the heat surrounding him.

Am I going to die? Hopper trembled involuntarily.

"...It’s a story I heard somewhere."

But what came back was a slightly subdued voice. Hopper blinked.

"So, this is a story about my friend."

"Did you... have a friend?"

"..."

"That was a slip of the tongue. Please continue."

"...They said there is someone they want to give their heart to, but lately, they feel tense whenever they think of that person. They also mentioned feeling flustered because impulsive thoughts keep popping into their heads. On top of that, they said an unknown voice is egging them on..."

Noelier trailed off, glancing at Hopper.

"Is it supposed to be like this? Does everyone live with... thoughts like this? All the time?"

"...?"

It was unexpected relationship advice. Hopper tilted his head.

However, the leader looked so serious. So, Hopper decided to answer with sincerity.

"Are the two of you lovers?"

At that, Noelier's face instantly darkened.

"...No. They say she hasn't opened her heart yet."

"What? You harbored such ill intentions without even getting permission? You shameless person!"

Hopper shouted in anger as if it were his own business.

"You are worse than a beast! Don't we dragons unconditionally obey whoever we wish to make our mates? How dare you harbor ill intentions before even winning her heart!"

"It is a disgrace to the honor of a pure dragon!" Hopper raged, saying this.

Hopper seemed unaware that he was wasting his life.

The servants glanced at Noelier.

"..."

It was only natural that his face was contorted endlessly. Hopper, unaware of anything, was still enraged.

"Of course, the thought itself isn't bad. When I was at my peak, my wife used to give me a good scolding, telling me to please stop. However, in my personal opinion, I would advise you to keep your distance from that friend. I'm worried that it might have a negative influence on me, Lady Eve, and the Leader... Argh!"

Hopper could not finish his sentence. It was because the fire that had flared up in the air enveloped him.

Noelier ignored Hopper's shout. No, it would be more accurate to say that he was lost in thought and did not hear it.

Noelier slowly closed his eyes. As his emotions surged, the heat in his body grew increasingly intense. He had to control his mind.

Noelier instinctively thought of Eve. It was like a thirsty person seeking a well, just as a sunflower gazes at the sun.

However, he could not go to meet them. Even he himself did not know what he might do.

"Ha..."

A headache returned. His face was clouded with pain.

The headache was getting worse. It was even more distressing because he couldn't find the cause. Someone kept whispering incomprehensible words.

"Hurry up and catch her..."

"Take... yours..."

Noelier tried to keep his composure. There were still things left to verify.

Noelier, having barely managed to compose himself, let out a deep sigh and lifted his head. Outside the window, thick darkness had already settled.

'It's time to go to bed.'

Noelier rose to his feet. The letter was finished, so all that remained was to wait patiently.

Only then did the fire die down. Having escaped the terrible heat, Hopper sobbed as he recalled his past years flashing before his eyes like a slideshow.

***

Noelier headed to the library. He had heard that lately, he had been holed up in the library with no intention of coming out. 

Sure enough, Eve was there.

Noelier cautiously entered. He had no intention of speaking. He just intended to look and leave. Eve was fast asleep, surrounded by books.

Zion was also by her side. As if she had studied with Zion, various letters were written in the notebook.

Noelier let out a chuckle as he watched the two sleeping soundly, oblivious to the world. With them so defenseless, it was only natural that he couldn't take his eyes off them.

At that moment, Eve frowned slightly. She seemed uncomfortable with the position.

Noelier reached out his hand to wake Eve.

"..."

However, he flinched and withdrew his hand again. He tensed up once more. If he let his guard down, he might hurt her with the power he possessed.

Noelier eventually summoned Lu. The flames blooming from his hand turned into a small bird.

Gourd!

Lu tilted his head as if asking why he had been called in the middle of the night.

Noelier silently gestured to Eve.

"Did you call me just for that?!" Lu yelled even louder.

It can't be helped. Lu fluttered toward the sleeping Eve.

A small beak pecked at Eve's cheek gently.

“Uhm..."

Eve blinked slowly. Her clear pupils were revealed between her long eyelashes.

Eve blinked a couple of times in a daze and opened her eyes completely.

"...Lu?"

Bang!

Lu fluttered up as if to greet her.

After circling around her a few times, Lu flew off to wake Zion. 

When Zion, who had woken up whimpering, spotted Lu, he burst into giggles as if nothing had happened. 

Zion started running to catch the flying Lu. 

"Zion, I told you not to run..." 

Eve rubbed her eyes and looked around.

"Uh..."

"...Did you sleep well?" 

Eve could not answer Noelier's question either. How long had it been since they had faced each other like this?

Eve smiled without realizing it. It was a smile that even her owner didn't know about. Her heart pounded like a bird taking its first flight. Overjoyed, Eve sat up.

"...Noel?"

However, he stepped back to match the approaching footsteps.

It was only natural that Eve's face turned red with shock.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee



Comments