...It seemed like Zion had lured someone in again.
"I found it in the garden. It was wandering around by itself, so I brought it home!"
"Then drop it off back there and come back."
Then Zion shook his head with a tearful expression.
"Why? Can't we live together? Ed is here too."
Why is he here...?
I looked at Zion in silence. Zion lowered his eyebrows.
"Cat..."
Zion's shoulders slumped endlessly. But I did not back down. I couldn't just carelessly keep a cat whose origins were unknown.
'He might be a shapeshifter too.'
I was keeping Ed around only because, at least, his mind was like a flower garden. I shook my head again.
"No. Put it back in its place."
I retorted firmly and shifted my gaze to the book. The same contents of the legend still caught my eye.
'Where do you get other information?'
He shook his head, saying he didn't know, even when asked the other beastmen.
It was a time when I was groaning as I reviewed the things I had organized in my notebook.
Jump.
"Ugh!"
I was startled and stepped back.
It was because the cat that had been in Zion's arms gently landed on the desk.
“Cat?”
The cat, lightly ignoring Zion's words, scurried back and forth among the books.
'What kind of trick is this?'
I, not knowing the true nature of the cat, was simply suspicious.
Meow
Just then, the cat made a crying sound.
The cotton ball wearing white socks pointed at something.
It was a place that read 'Mermaid'. I looked at the cat with a surprised expression. Sharp eyes stared at me.
'Do you know something?'
I leaned my upper body toward the cat.
"Do you know anything about legends?"
At my question, the cat stared intently at me. I felt inexplicably nervous at its gaze, which seemed to pierce right through me.
Huh!
The cat turned its head coyly.
'That bastard...'
It was obvious that they understood everything but were pretending not to.
Regardless, the cat started washing its face with its front paws.
'This cat definitely seems to know something...'
It was just when I was wondering how to win him over.
King!
A familiar bark was heard. Zion and I turned our heads toward the source of the sound.
Edgar, who had rushed over breathlessly, used me as a shield to hide himself.
Then, as if terrified, he kept whining.
I looked ahead in bewilderment.
After a while, Rachel approached us, breathing heavily.
"I told you not to run..."
Rachel gasped for breath as she spoke, one word at a time. In Rachel's hand, as she wiped the sweat from her forehead...
'Whip?'
In that moment, the original novel flashed before my eyes like a slideshow.
No, what is our little mouse holding right now!
I shot a glare at Ed.
'What on earth did you plant a flag for?'
Edgar quickly noticed my gaze and shook his head vigorously. It was as if he was shouting forcefully that I knew nothing.
"I never intended to hit you."
Rachel spoke in an aggrieved voice.
"I saw this in the garden, so I picked it up to take a look. I didn't even swing it. But then he suddenly ran away."
Rachel pouted. Her eyes, as she looked at me with such a wronged expression, were filled with sorrow.
'I knew it. What was I thinking?'
I gestured as if chasing away something profane. Edgar whined, but our little mouse was more precious. As I opened my arms, Rachel clung tightly to me.
"...By the way, sister. What is that?"
Rachel peeked her head out and asked as she looked at the cat sitting on the desk.
As if sensing Rachel's gaze, the cat trembled noticeably.
Even the most haughty cat seemed afraid of the dragon.
"I brought her. Ruby."
Zion, who had quickly picked up the cat, said brightly.
"Look at the hair. It looks just like Ruby's hair."
"...Are you saying my hair is cat fur?"
"Huh? No, no!"
Zion shook his head vigorously.
"Look here, if you look closely, it shines. It looks just like ruby hair. It makes me want to touch it."
Zion looked at Rachel with a bright smile.
"..."
Rachel stared intently at Zion like that and fell away from my embrace.
"I'll be right back. I'm going for a walk."
"Weren't you on your way back from a walk?"
"...I haven't finished yet."
Rachel said that and gestured toward Ed.
"You, you come here."
Ugh. Edgar let out a groan as if he disliked it.
"Hurry up. I'll give you something delicious."
Something delicious!
At those words, Ed ran to Rachel as if he hadn't run away at all.
And just like that, Rachel stormed out with Ed.
Zion and I looked at Rachel's retreating figure with bewildered expressions.
"Did I... say something strange...?"
Zion made a tearful face. The cat in his arms licked Zion's hand as if to comfort him.
I looked down intently at the cat. I met its eyes as it raised its head.
It felt like it was saying, "What are you looking at?"
"...Okay, anyway, Zion, you take the cat back to where it originally was and go."
I shook my head and focused my gaze back on the book.
I was about to turn the page. Snap! A white cotton ball blocked the turn of the page.
When I looked up, the cat was staring at me with a grumpy face.
It seemed like it was saying, "Don't turn the page; look here. You idiot!"
"...Oh."
Suddenly a good idea occurred to me.
"Hmm. Shall I read this book to clear my head?"
I deliberately picked up the book placed next to me in an exaggerated voice. Then I opened it to a random page and read it aloud.
"Hmm, the reason the terrain of Esdarin is warped is..."
It was when I was reading the book's narrative line by line.
The white cotton swab hurriedly pointed three lines below it.
“Is this the answer?”
At my question, the cat turned its head away.
‘Look at this?
I didn't stop the experiment and quickly flipped to the next page.
I repeated the same thing.
Before even reading the rest, the cat quickly figured out the answer.
It was a successful experiment. I closed the book without hesitation.
This cat seemed to know a great deal. And it really wanted to show it off.
However, if you make it obvious that you want to be told, they turn away as if nothing happened.
Just as I was wondering how to entice this cat, a good idea came to me.
I hurried out into the garden. I was sure I had seen it before. The memory of being delighted to see it, thinking, "It's here too," was vivid.
'I found it!'
I pulled out a whole lot of it and ran to the kitchen immediately.
"Marie!"
Marie flinched. Although she looked surprised by my sudden arrival, she smiled as if nothing had happened.
"What is the reason?"
"Do you have chicken tenderloin and anchovies? And glutinous rice flour?"
Marie was flustered by the overly specific request.
"Of course. But why are you asking?"
"Marie's skills, my knowledge, and..."
I held out what I was holding and grinned.
"I only need this. Please help me, Marie!"
Marie nodded with a bewildered look on her face.
***
"Sister, where did you suddenly go?"
Wow.
"My older sister, it's scary whenever she shows that face..."
I heard Zion's voice from afar. I deliberately stood still and went inside.
"Sister! Where did you go? Suddenly?"
“Yeah, I have some business to run.”
I slowly approached them. The cat, however, paid no attention and was completely absorbed in grooming its fur.
'But that won't last long either.'
I gave a sly smile.
I moved closer. Just then, the cat snapped its head up as if struck by lightning. After quickly looking around, the cat stared at me in disbelief.
I took out what I had hidden with a triumphant smile.
That's right!
'Handmade cat food!'
The cat jumped up. I managed to raise my arm high by a hair's breadth and prevent the cat from snatching the cat food.
I poured in all the catnip I found in the garden, and it seemed to have a tremendous effect.
“Shall I give you this?”
Oh my.
"Do you want this? Huh? Kitty."
Oh my!
I lowered my arm as if doing a generous favor. The cat began to gobble up the ChuuX.
Boundaries have become looser.
I quickly scratched the nape of its neck. With my other hand, I gently patted the back above its tail. It was a spot most cats liked to be touched
The cat looked at me with a shocked expression at the successive stimuli.
'Since you've lived as a shapeshifter all this time, this must be the first time you've been treated like a cat.'
Perfect meal and perfect massage.
'It's hard to find something that perfectly matches your taste like this.'
As if reading my mind, the cat sat upright and looked up at me.
"Kitty, if you share the information you know, I'll do everything I can for you."
Then the cat elegantly raised its paw.
Meow
A pink jelly touched my hand. It felt as if it were offering a handshake.
I grinned. It was a successful deal.
Previous Next
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment