The imperial palace was completely devastated.
There were monster attacks when Ivan fled last time as well, but this time the scale was different.
To begin with, the number of monsters alone was several times greater. Furthermore, having lost a large number of knights in the Forbidden Forest, and with Fenrir's private soldiers also operating separately, the damage was bound to be even greater.
The monsters flew in ceaselessly, as if mocking the report that the Forbidden Forest had shrunk over the past few years.
Furthermore, it hunted people ceaselessly with terrifying ferocity, as if determined to fill its long-starved belly.
After fighting against priests, knights, and even wizards, they were barely able to deal with the monster.
However, this could not be called a victory.
The remaining half of the numbers were lost in the Forbidden Forest. The troops were reduced by well over half again, and those staying at the Imperial Palace were also mercilessly slaughtered by monsters.
It was no exaggeration to say that every place one set foot was filled with corpses. Blood flowed like a river, and dismembered bodies tangled together like rags rolled at his feet.
The Imperial Palace was literally reduced to ruins. Not a single intact building could be found. It was where Fenrir had been imprisoned.
Not only the dungeon but also the magic tower, the church, and the Emperor's palace where Dietrich resides were all about half destroyed.
And the western tower where Presepe was imprisoned was also eventually completely destroyed, leaving not even a trace of its form.
In that situation, it was purely thanks to Fenrir that Siegfried was able to save his life.
"..."
Fenrir’s face was stiff as he dismounted from the horse.
Fenrir brushed past the members of Siegfried's family who were welcoming him and began to walk along the now familiar path.
"He barely regained consciousness an hour ago."
The butler, who looked quite old, looked at Fenrir with a pale face and said.
"Thank you so much. If it weren't for you, Grand Duke, my master never would have made it back alive. I really don't know how to thank you...”
“It is done.”
It wasn't really something worthy of a thank you.
Fenrir saving Siegfried was an action with a reason.
"Guide me to where Siegfried is."
"Yes."
As soon as the answer was finished, the butler began to carefully guide Fenrir.
After passing through the long corridor and the reception room where he had received the documents about the Demon King last time, Fenrir was finally able to reach Siegfried's room.
The butler bowed his head and left, and Fenrir slowly opened the door.
Then, he silently gazed at Siegfried lying in bed. He looked so wretched that no one could dispute it even if one said he was about to die right then and there.
"Grand Duke Fenrir..."
Siegfried recognized Fenrir, let out a groan, and tried to sit up, but it was not as he wished.
Fenrir, who had approached the bed before anyone realized it, let out a short sigh and lightly pressed down on his shoulder as if to say that it was fine if he didn't get up.
"...I heard the story."
It was Siegfried, with his head bowed low, who was the first to pull his lips away.
"I should have been of more help... I have no face to show you, Grand Duke."
"Shouldn't His Majesty be the one saying that, not you?"
Fenrir answered with a blank expression.
"Anyway, since you are alive and well on your own, that might be all that matters to you."
In fact, it was safe to say that Dietrich suffered almost no damage.
Of course, that doesn't mean Dietrich fled in panic upon hearing the news. He did make an effort in his own way. The problem was that the number of monsters swarming the Imperial Palace was too high for Dietrich to handle, no matter how hard he tried.
In any case, with the situation turning out this way, Dietrich could no longer keep Fenrir locked up. It wasn't just because even the dungeon had completely collapsed. The fact that Siegfried had ended up in such a state must have played a major role.
"I should have protected Lady Presepe somehow..."
Siegfried let out a heavy sigh and muttered.
"Confess to me everything you have seen."
"..."
"Every single one, without exception."
Soon, Siegfried's clear eyes looked up at Fenrir.
He stared at Fenrir with a slightly confused look in his eyes, without saying a word for a moment.
[Trying to covet something useless puts you in danger...?]
Just before the imperial palace was raided and Presepe was kidnapped, Siegfried recalled something he had never thought of before.
It was a suspicion that the person who killed Attar Hanan and Noah DeVern might actually have been Fenrir.
That was the reason he headed to Presepe's Tower in the first place. To convey that fact to Presepe.
...But is it okay if I tell this person what I saw?
Is Grand Duke Fenrir a trustworthy person?
After the incident in the Forbidden Forest, Siegfried, realizing that Fenrir had nothing to do with monsters, did not suspect Fenrir, unlike Dietrich.
He was also grateful for being saved from the chaos.
However, that was not a perfect reason to trust Fenrir.
Perhaps that is why he couldn't easily open his mouth.
'...However, there is nothing I can do right now.'
Even if he wanted to step forward himself, he couldn't go anywhere in this physical condition. Even if he told the truth to Dietrich instead of Fenrir, Fenrir was the only one who could move now.
"I am..."
So Siegfried looked at Fenrir and spoke with difficulty.
"Can I trust the Grand Duke?"
"..."
"I dare to ask."
Fenrir showed no reaction for a moment at Siegfried's question. He stared intently at Siegfried with an inscrutable gaze, then answered in a voice that seemed to carry a hint of mockery.
“What can you do?”
"Yes?"
"It means, besides trusting me now and confessing everything to me, what else can you do?"
"..."
"You should know what that means, Siegfried."
Yeah, I suppose so. It was a question with a predetermined answer from the start: whether I could trust Fenrir or not. Siegfried let out a heavy sigh.
Then, he slowly began to speak.
"Upon hearing the news that the Grand Duke and Lady Presepe were imprisoned, I headed to the Tower first. I was worried."
Instead, while very subtly hiding the truth.
"However, there was someone there whom I had never seen before."
"..."
"I don't know who it was. Instead, it was a man with blonde hair and blue eyes."
...Vidar
A murderous intent flickered in Fenrir's red eyes.
"Since an intruder whose identity was unknown had broken in, I immediately summoned the knights, including those on guard duty. However..."
"However?"
"Immediately, monsters suddenly swarmed in. In the blink of an eye."
Along with the black mist rising like pincers around the man's body, monsters flew in as if by magic, toward the Tower of Prepepe.
As if protecting the man.
"I thought I had to protect Lady Presepe at all costs. So I charged in with all my might... but a man reached out his hand. Immediately, a deafening roar was heard, and the tower began to collapse. Needless to say, even more monsters rushed in."
Siegfried continued speaking.
"Perhaps due to the shock, Lady Presepe also seemed to have lost consciousness. In a way, it might be to be expected. By then, dismembered bodies were already scattered haphazardly around."
He still remembered it vividly.
Presepe's expression turned pale blue as someone's red blood splattered onto her face like paint.
"The man started attacking again, and I collapsed once more. And when I opened my eyes again, I couldn't see anything."
It happened very quickly.
"But..."
Siegfried hesitated for a moment, then very cautiously continued speaking.
"Before losing consciousness, Lady Presepe thrashed about and screamed. I couldn't hear clearly because of the loud noise, but she probably asked to be let go."
Unsightly wrinkles formed on Fenrir's face.
"But the man said something strange."
“Strange words?”
"It's just returning to the original place."
"..."
“That was it.”
That was the last thing Siegfried said.
Fenrir stared silently into the void without showing any reaction, then turned his back without leaving a trace of regret. He then walked away without even saying a word of greeting to Siegfried.
"Grand Duke! Where are you going!"
Grand Duke.
Fenrir!
Fenrir could hear Siegfried's voice fading away, but that wasn't particularly important right now.
...Presepe and the collapsed tower vanished without a single clue. People spoke in unison. He said Presepe was likely dead; it was just a matter of time before her body was found.
However, those were incredibly stupid words.
'Return to your original place...?'
There was only one place that came to mind.
"..."
Fenrir bit his lip with all his might. Then, he began to leave the Siegfried household at a very fast pace.
***
A pungent, fishy smell.
Someone's red blood being poured onto the face.
The deafening roar that continued to echo, ear-splitting screams. Siegfried's shout.
Also...
"It's because of you. I killed you to have you all to myself, with my own hands, personally."
Deep confusion.
"In the end, he is just trying to kill everyone who can approach you and possess you. I told you back then, too. In my eyes, it is no different at all."
The deep despair felt the moment the firm belief that Fenrir would not be like others cracked.
'It can't be like that...'
There's no way the Grand Duke would have done that, of all people.
He is different from the male characters. He will protect me to the very end and will never betray me.
Whether she really wanted to believe it, or simply wanted to insist on it—before she could even make an accurate judgment, Presepe lost consciousness.
And when she opened jer eyes again.
She had come to a place she hadn't expected at all.
"..."
The pale purple eyes, bathed in sunlight, shone brightly like jewels.
The sound of peaceful birds chirping, completely different from loud noises, was heard; a refreshing breeze blew, and the scent of flowers wafted from somewhere far away.
Presepe, having regained consciousness, stared blankly ahead.
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment