On a sunny afternoon, Raul and Harriet were playing the tenna in the garden of Duke Bernhard's estate.
Tenna originated in Pasa and was a sport played by hitting a ball back and forth with a racket after setting up a net in the middle of the grass.
"Uncle Raul! Larissa is going to try the tenna too!"
Larissa, who had unexpectedly cut between Harriet and Raul, snatched the ball. Then, gripping a racket taller than herself, she groaned.
"Larissa, you have to wait your turn."
As Raul, who had been holding back his laughter, gently admonished her, Larissa, puffing out her cheeks, shook her head.
"I've been waiting this long!"
Larissa held up five fingers, displaying her firm determination. Seeing this, Harriet approached and brought a practice racket to his younger sibling.
"Larissa, I think this would be more comfortable."
Although his time with Raul was interrupted, Harriet was not annoyed at all.
Larissa, having been handed the small racket, fidgeted with her small hands as if she were finally apologetic.
"Brother, you mustn't hate Larissa."
"I'm not upset at all. I'm proud of our Larissa for waiting so long."
Harriet bent down and gently stroked Larissa's soft cheek. The two blonde, blue-eyed children were first cousins, but they grew up like siblings.
"The kids absolutely hated it, you know."
Raul smiled fondly as he watched his nieces from a distance. Harriet and Larissa were so cute that the mere thought of them made his heart flutter.
"Uncle Raul! What are you doing?"
At Larissa's urging, Raul passed the ball, but it was difficult for the little child to hit it.
Eventually, Larissa, who had quickly given up on the game, put down her racket and ran to Raul.
"Hold me and let me fly."
Unlike Harriet, who acted reserved now that he had grown up a little, Larissa was a little lady who was uninhibited in everything.
'I'm telling you, she looks exactly like Shioana.'
Raul, who had been smiling to himself, picked up Larissa and spun her around a few times in place. Larissa's joyful laughter echoed throughout the garden.
Raul spent the last two months at Duke Bernhard's estate with Harriet and Larissa.
It was because Duke and Duchess Bernhard had entrusted their child to him as they went on a trip.
Taking care of Harriet and Larissa was a difficult task that came with a great sense of responsibility. However, he could feel joy that outweighed it.
And it was about time to leave.
"Uncle, what are you thinking?"
Raul, awakened from his thoughts by Larissa's voice, lightly touched the child's nose.
"I was thinking of our cute Larissa."
"Uncle, saying that to a lady is rude."
"... What?"
"Larissa is beautiful and elegant."
When Larissa replied coyly, Raul burst into loud laughter.
It was because he was reminded of Larissa, who had been wriggling around in her cradle until not long ago.
“Why are you smiling!”
As Larissa tapped his arm with her small fist, Raul stroked the child's head. Then, he spoke very affectionately.
"So you're saying Larissa is a pretty and cute lady?"
"Yeah! Uncle Raul is smart, as expected."
Larissa, whose mood instantly improved, smiled brightly, and Harriet approached and smiled back at the two of them. Unlike when he was young, when he was frequently ill and made everyone worry, Harriet had grown up very healthy.
Raul, hiding his surging emotions, opened his mouth playfully.
"Harriet. You look just like a young nobleman now."
"I am still very lacking, Marquis Calix."
"What do you mean, Marquis? Just call me Uncle."
"... Yes."
For a moment, Raul missed Harriet a little, who used to pester him to play pirate.
Just then, Shioana came out into the garden and smiled brightly at Raul.
"I'm telling you, the kids like Uncle Raul the most."
"It’s hard not to fall for my charm."
"Raul, really."
Shioana was greatly amused by Raul's bravado.
"Mom! When I grow up, I'm going to marry Uncle Raul!"
Everyone in the garden was surprised by Larissa's sudden announcement.
It was because Larissa had said she wanted to marry Harriet ever since she started speaking.
"Larissa, it is a great honor. And Harriet, I have become your rival?"
When Raul replied cheerfully, everyone burst into laughter. Raul’s expression, which had been observing their happy faces, relaxed.
'I've never really had a proper family, but I guess it feels roughly like this.'
At first, he felt pity for Shioana, a stranger raising a child alone. However, his interest grew, and he was increasingly captivated by Shioana, who never gave up even in difficult circumstances.
It was a feeling he could not reveal to anyone until the very end, but he did not regret it at all.
'Yeah, I don't want to forget.'
His first love failed, but since he gained a lovely younger sibling and even has these cute nieces and nephews, it wasn't really a bad deal after all.
"Shall we all have a delicious lunch together now?"
As Raul followed his nephew and Shioana into the dining room, his face immediately darkened. He generally liked the people of the Bernhard ducal family. Except for one person.
"The Duke was here too."
"Marquis Calix, have you forgotten that this is my home?"
The other party was just as unwelcome to Raul, so their response was extremely sullen.
"I know it well. It's the house of Shioana, Your Excellency, Larissa, and Harriet."
Fortunately, they were able to finish their meal safely because Shioana, who was observing Raul and Etienne's expressions, quickly stepped in to mediate.
***
After finishing their meal, Shioana, Duke Bernhard, and Raul took their seats in the drawing room.
Larissa wanted to join too, but she had to take a nap because she was young, and Harriet had Latin class.
"Raul, you have something to tell us, don't you?"
Raul quietly looked into Shioana's eyes at her question as she handed him the tea. He tried to feign a blank expression, but it seemed it was obvious.
Raul let out a sigh as he sank deep into the sofa.
"I'm leaving for District 8 soon."
"...Is it because of pirates?”
Raul nodded at Shioana's question. It was nothing new that pirates were appearing in Urcheka's territorial waters, but the current situation was serious, unlike before.
They didn't just plunder wealth, but also committed murder and human trafficking.
"I heard the Navy is having a hard time."
Raul stroked his chin at Duke Bernhard's words.
"It is difficult for an army of nobles to defeat despicable pirates."
"...Hmm."
Duke Bernhard's face hardened in an instant.
There was nothing wrong with what Raul said.
Most of the generals and soldiers who set out to eradicate the pirates lost their lives, and the merchant ships of the Urcheka Empire passing through the sea route also suffered heavy losses.
"Raul. Does going to District 8 mean you plan to step in yourself?"
Raul spoke arrogantly in response to Shioana's worried question.
"If I don't go, who will? I've lived by the sea since I was young, and I've fought pirates many times."
Raul joked while showing off the scar on his face, but Shioana's expression did not soften at all.
A little later, Shioana remained silent for a long time as she saw Raul off. With the prepared carriage in front of her, she finally managed to open her mouth.
"Raul, I wanted to see you meet a good person and settle down."
"...Okay."
Raul was not unaware of what Shioana was saying. After all, he, too, was always praying for her happiness.
As Shioana still wore a gloomy expression, Raul smiled and spoke to cheer her up.
"Seriously! Just looking at Larissa and Harriet makes me want to get married, too."
"Nothing will probably happen. I prayed for your peace in Siam."
It felt quite strange to have someone praying for him, but it wasn't a bad feeling. Raul gently patted Shioana on the shoulder.
"It is reassuring to hear that you have the protection of the Water Goddess."
"Raul, please take care of yourself."
With Shioana's final greeting, Raul got into the carriage and squeezed his eyes shut.
“Let’s go.”
As Raul's order was given, the carriage rattled as it moved, and he deliberately did not look back.
"...Ha."
As he washed his face, the wound on his hand felt particularly stinging today.
Previous Next
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment