Duke Bernhard of the Urcheka Empire was widely rumored to be a doting father, but those who knew him said that the rumors actually tended to be downplayed.
One sunny autumn day, Shioana hurriedly climbed the stairs and headed to a corner room that was rarely used.
"You're back early, Madam."
Martha, who had long since passed middle age, welcomed Shioana warmly. Although Martha had retired, she would occasionally attend to Shioana like this.
"Martha, I told you to rest; why did you come out?"
"I was getting restless just sitting around all the time."
"I'll sit down for a moment."
As Shioana, panting, slumped into her seat, Martha took Shioana's feather hat.
"What on earth is going on, Madam?"
Martha looked puzzled as she noticed the sweat running down Shioana's forehead.
"I had a tea party scheduled at the Count of Brienne today, and guess what? His Excellency showed up."
It was rare for a husband to visit a gathering of noblewomen. It was the same principle as wives never visiting a gathering of gentlemen.
"I clearly said I would just have some tea and come back, but I can't tell you how embarrassed I was that he couldn't wait and followed me."
To strangers, they might be envious that she was showered with her husband's love, but Shioana was sometimes tired of Etienne's obsession.
"But you know the Duke's true feelings best, Madam."
Shioana, who had been fuming, pouted at the soft voice of Martha, who had streaks of white hair.
"Who said they didn't know that?"
Although Shioana had now become the undisputed head of the Evgenia family and Duchess Bernhard, she would occasionally act childishly like this whenever she stood before Martha.
Martha, who had been watching the scene with satisfaction, handed a handkerchief to Siona.
"I'll go get something to drink, so please cool down."
"Martha, your knees aren't good, either."
"I can still handle that easily."
Martha tidied Shioana's disheveled bangs and headed outside.
Shioana leaned back against the chair and closed her eyes. She had been furious, but she calmed down immediately upon seeing Martha's face.
It was always Martha who stayed by Shioana's side when she could not sleep because she was afraid of the rainy nights.
'The late Madam will protect our young lady. So please do not worry about anything and get a good night's sleep.'
Martha's warm voice soothed Shioana's anxiety. The sobbing little Shioana opened her mouth.
'But Martha, I don't know Mom very well.'
Since Countess Evgenia passed away immediately after giving birth to Shioana, little Shioana had no memory of her mother's embrace. At that moment, Martha smiled affectionately as she stroked her cheek.
'There is absolutely no need to worry. The Madam is watching over you from anywhere in Regbell. Please close your eyes quickly. You will soon be able to meet the Madam in your dreams.'
All the happy memories in Regbell were created by Martha and Etienne.
Shioana, who had been fast asleep, opened her eyes. However, it seemed that Martha, who had gone to get water, had not yet returned. As she got up and straightened her disheveled clothes, her gaze fell upon an open drawer.
“Why is it open?”
This was a room where she kept her belongings, a place she didn't usually visit.
To close the drawer, Shioana could see the corner of the small box.
"So this was here all along."
As she took out the box and sat on the chair, her eyes were already tracing her memories. The drawing on the old box resting on her lap was almost completely faded, but the name written on it was recognizable.
Shioana Evgenia.
The crooked handwriting was what she had written in her childhood.
The box did not open easily, perhaps because it was rusty. Only after spilling a little iron shavings did she open the lid and let out a small gasp of admiration.
“Oh my!”
The small stones or bush scraps she had picked up as a child, thinking they were jewels, were neatly wrapped in a handkerchief.
And inside were the clumsy drawings she had copied while looking at jer mother's portrait, and the doll clothes she had made from scraps of fabric Martha had given jer, faded in color.
"How could you make something this bad?"
Shioana smiled softly as she ran her fingers through the messy scraps of cloth. Her diary lay underneath them.
"Yeah, I used to write a diary often before I crossed over to Urcheka—"
Just as she was opening her diary, a single well-dried crocus petal caught jer eye.
"...Ah."
It had turned yellowish from its golden color, but there was no way to not know what it was. It was given to her by Etienne, who appeared before Shioana immediately after she met Count Noah.
At that time, Etienne seemed angry and was wearing an unreadable expression.
'This suits you better, young lady.'
Shioana was completely unaware of Etienne's feelings, so she simply thought he was insolent. However, she could not bring herself to throw away the flower he had given her, so she dried one petal.
"... Etienne."
Just as she whispered his name, the door creaked open. Shioana, naturally assuming it was Martha, spoke without even looking.
"Martha, you're here?"
The person who walked in, striding toward her stood abruptly and spoke curtly.
"Is it disappointing that it's not Martha?"
"...Yes?"
Etienne stood in front of Shioana, who was holding an open diary, and glared at her. Beneath his sweat-soaked blonde hair, his red eyes were blazing.
"Just like when I gave this crocus. You're looking for someone."
"E, Etienne, stop messing around."
Because Etienne, with eyes like that, was always dangerous, Shioana's voice trembled slightly.
"What are you reading so intently? Is it a book interesting enough to make you leave your husband behind?"
"Who said I abandoned you!"
Shioana had simply returned alone in the carriage because she was angry at Etienne for suddenly appearing without notice.
“Let’s take a look.”
Etienne, who had approached before anyone realized it, lowered his head deeply toward Shioana.
"This is absolutely unacceptable."
As Shioana closed her diary and shook her head, Etienne pressed down firmly on the armrests of the rocking chair she was sitting in with both hands. As a result, Shioana ended up in a position nestled in Etienne's arms.
“Let’s go out and talk first.”
"I want to continue the conversation just like this."
At Etienne's whisper, small goosebumps ran down Shioana's arm.
This was just like the day they held their wedding in Urcheka.
Even at the time of their wedding, Etienne never smiled at her like he does now. He always screamed at Shioana with a terrifying look on his face. And yet, he wouldn't let her go anywhere, so she has no idea how difficult it was for her.
Shioana still felt a pang in her heart when she thought about a time in the past.
It was so unfortunate that they missed each other due to a deep misunderstanding.
Because she could not share in the loneliness and sadness of Etienne, who was completely alone.
Just then, Etienne pressed his cheek against her ear and smiled.
"We're a married couple, so why are you so scared?"
"W-Who said I'm scared!"
Shioana stepped deep into the chair to avoid him, but she only fluttered like a butterfly caught in a spiderweb.
"Shioana, close your eyes."
She opened her eyes wide at Etienne's words, which were exactly the same as back then.
“I absolutely hate it!”
"Did I tell you that the hunter gets more excited when the prey runs away?"
Shioana bit her lip at the faint redness in the corners of Etienne's eyes.
"Are you going to keep messing around? You'll only stop if I get angry, right?"
As she got slightly angry, Etienne stepped back a little and spoke in a sullen voice.
"It would have been better if you hadn't abandoned your husband, who went out of his way to pick you up."
"What if Duke Bernhard hadn't shown up at the ladies' gathering and ruined the Duchess's reputation?"
"Shioana, that's nonsense. With the world in such turmoil, what's so great about a husband going to pick up his wife?"
When Shioana questioned him, Etienne acted as if he were hurt by her.
"...Ha."
In an instant, Shioana realized that such arguments were meaningless. Etienne was sometimes anxious because, like her, he had not been able to completely escape the past.
Even when they were together, he called out Shioana's name and sought assurance that they were together.
The sorrow of losing his entire family in childhood and the past when the two had parted ways had created a deep puddle in Etienne's heart.
Shioana lifted her chin and whispered affectionately.
"Etienne, I will never leave you."
When Shioana did not get angry, Etienne, flustered, stammered.
"Even if I am such an inadequate man—?"
"To me, there is no one more perfect than you, Etienne."
Shioana lifted her head and gave him a light kiss on the cheek.
"Even if you say you don't like me anymore, I'm going to cry and cling to you. If you don't accept me, I might just hit you. You know very well how strong I am, right?"
It was only at Shioana's joke that Etienne was able to return to his usual self.
"Shioana, I love you."
He lowered his head and gently kissed Shioana's lips. Just as she was about to savor Etienne's warm, soft lips, he finally snatched the diary away.
"...Etienne!"
Shioana, who had gotten up from the chair, screamed, but Etienne unfolded it and refused to return it.
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment