Attention!!

Please do not copy and repost series from Novellatte. Please ask for permission first. Let's respect each other.

KTBYM - Chapter 58




The theater wasn't far from Charles's store. During that time, why on earth was I stuffing chocolate into Eon's mouth?

I had to blame myself for doing something audacious- no, beyond audacious; I had done something crazy.

"Perhaps because Miss Selinia gave it to me, it wasn't bitter at all. In fact, it's sweet."

Thanks to that, I had to endure Eon's smirking remarks. I tried to continue the conversation, but Eon's resolve that he could not speak in a place like this was firm.

"Well, we have finally arrived."

The opera house was magnificent from the outside, but the interior was beyond my imagination. I felt a fresh shock, just as I did when I first came to the Count's mansion from the orphanage.

Perhaps for the sake of viewing, the chandelier emitted a subtle and soft light. However, its form was by no means modest.

Delicate murals stretched along the corridor leading to the performance hall under the light of the chandeliers. The paintings, seemingly inspired by legends or myths, possessed a lifelike dynamism and expression. Looking closely, I realized that the stories connected as one. Thanks to this, I momentarily forgot about the matter of Eon that had been filling my mind.

"Oh."

My body swayed to the side. It was because I had been too focused on the mural. But before I could even worry about falling, a hand lightly supported my waist. The fact that he could react faster than I, the owner of this body, must have been possible because he had been watching me all along. And there was only one reason why he had been watching me.

'Is he saying he feels uneasy that I found out about his past?'

"That won't do. Please admire the mural to your heart's content, but please take my hand."

Lost in thought, I couldn't even think to shake off the hand that was subtly wrapping around me. And by the time I realized it belatedly, I had already entered the concert hall.

'Uh, over there.'

As I looked around, a seat caught my eye. It was one of the seats located on either side of the stage. It was set up like an independent room, and I thought that would be a good place to have a quiet conversation.

“This way.”

However, the spot Eon pointed to was the very center of the second floor. It would offer the best view of the stage, but it seemed unlikely that we would be able to have a conversation like in the usual seats I was familiar with. Disappointed, I kept glancing back toward the seat I had initially seen.

"Did you want to watch from the box seat?"

"Yes?"

"Miss Selinia kept looking over there. Or maybe you know someone?"

"No. I just thought we might be able to have a conversation over there."

"Really, you have nothing but thoughts of me on your mind."

"Yes?"

I don't know why the conversation is going that way.

"Aren't you asking because you're curious about what kind of person I am?"

While Eon was babbling such nonsense, the third group of people who appeared to be nobles had already passed by and greeted him. His words, which omitted so many important details, were exactly the kind that could cause people to misunderstand.

"It's not like that, so please take a seat."

I tugged at the hem of Eon's coat. Whether it was because the clothes were thick or because the space between us was narrow, I ended up standing quite close to him.

"Don't be too disappointed."

Eon whispered in my ear. Perhaps because of the chocolate, Eon's breath was sweet.

"That box seat is a more secretive place than Miss Selinia thinks."

Upon hearing those words, the curtain hanging from the box seat caught my eye. Soon, a man and a woman entered arm in arm and pulled the red curtain back.

"It is a place sought after by those interested in the side dishes rather than the performance."

I quickly averted my gaze from that direction. It was a relief that the reddish light concealed my flushed cheeks.

Soon, the sound of applause rang out from the surroundings, so I clapped along with them. The performance began.

The play was a revenge drama driven by passion, set against the backdrop of the Salieri family. The female protagonist, Christine, dreams of revenge against Verdo, who betrayed her and married Count Salieri's daughter, and after much hardship, becomes Count Salieri's mistress.

Verdo feels both fear and desire for Christine, who has entered the Salieri household. Eventually, the two cross a line they should never have crossed. When their relationship is discovered, Verdo curses Christine and tries to kill her, but falls into a trap she set and ultimately loses his life at Christine's hands.

'Is this the end?'

At the end of the work, Christine herself ends up in prison, so it was as if all the characters had become unhappy.

'Why did you needlessly step forward to kill him yourself?'

If Christine had not killed Verdo herself, she would have lived out the rest of her life in peace.

The crowd applauded the frenzied song Christine sang, rejoicing at her successful revenge. With that, the play came to a close with the sight of Christine singing in prison.

"I really like this last scene. I feel a thrill every time people cheer for Christine."

Eon whispered as the actors took their bows on stage during the curtain call.

'Is it something to even feel euphoria about?'

It was hard to agree, but I mechanically nodded.

"It feels like they are cheering me on."

This time, I couldn't send a favorable response, even if only half-heartedly. I turned my gaze, which had been toward the stage, to Eon.

“Cheering?”

Eon smiled and shrugged his shoulders.

"What does Miss Selinia think of Christine?"

"She is a capable and impressive woman, but I can't really relate to her. There must have been a better way for her to find her own happiness. Ah, but the song at the end was amazing enough to give me goosebumps."

Since I couldn't just give harsh criticism to a performance that Eon liked, I added some appropriate praise.

"I knew you would say that."

Because the tone somehow seemed to be scolding me, I added a reason.

"If you went there for revenge, you should have just taken revenge cleanly; there was no need to sleep with Verdo, was there?"

"So she was still in love with Verdo."

People were getting up from their seats one by one. Eon and I also continued our conversation as we left the viewing room.

"Hmm, then don't kill them."

"That is exactly what love-hate is."

“Love and hate..."

If there was an emotion that absolutely had to be named, that seemed like the most appropriate one. It was a feeling I still couldn't understand, but Christine was, after all, a protagonist created solely for the sake of dramatic development.

"Well, it's just a play anyway."

Eon, who somehow managed to notice my muttering, stopped for a moment and met my eyes. I flinched at the resentment in his gaze—enough to make me want to ask why—and took a step back.

"Then again, Miss Selinia couldn't possibly understand Christine's feelings."

He seemed angry as he turned his head away sharply after spitting out those words.

"Did you bring me all the way here to ask for my thoughts on Christine?"

There was no reply, but judging by his current behavior, it seemed as though that was exactly his objective. Then again, he certainly wouldn't have scheduled this just to enjoy a performance with me.

'Is it really something to be criticized for not being able to empathize with the protagonist?'

I didn't know he was so engrossed in opera. Or perhaps he was just trying to find fault with me.

Feeling even more displeased, I followed Eon ahead when someone approached him and greeted him.

"Greetings, Marquis Grannois."

Unlike the others who had only offered perfunctory greetings, he appeared to have business with Eon.

"Nice to meet you. Did you come to see the opera?"

"Yes, the actors' skills were impressive. In any case, I was actually planning to visit the Magic Tower tomorrow. I have something to discuss regarding Count Hyrn."

My ears perked up as I recalled what Eon had said in the dressing room about indicting the Count.

'Who is that person? A prosecutor?'

You cannot judge a person solely by their appearance, but his rugged yet neat attire and meticulous look made him seem like a lawyer.

"I would like to talk in a quiet place, but..."

The man glanced at me, as if he was bothered by me being next to him.

'I am the very person who used to make potions in the Hyrn family.'

I thought I naturally had the right to hear about the Count's affairs, but my status was too ambiguous to make such a claim. I had also learned that I was not legally Count Hyrn's adopted daughter, so it felt pathetic to say that I was once his daughter.

"I'll go back to the carriage first. Please take your time talking."

After stopping Eon from offering to walk me home, I walked back down the luxurious corridor. Seeing that he hadn't even thought to keep an eye on me, it was clear that something urgent had come up.

'If the Count goes to prison...'

I thought of all sorts of scenarios, but no matter how things turned out, it had nothing to do with me now. What I needed to worry about right now wasn't someone like Count Hyrn. It was just as I turned the corner, lost in these thoughts.

Someone grabbed my wrist and pulled. I was drawn into the gap between wall and the statue.

"What?"

I wondered what kind of scoundrel would commit such a kidnapping that didn't even look like a kidnapping in a place this crowded. If I shouted even a little louder, my location would be revealed. I was just about to scream when the kidnapper's voice pierced my ears.

"Lady."

A Lady? There was only one person in this world who called me a Lady. Black hair and red eyes. Only then did the other person's face, which had been hidden in the shadows, come into view.

"Rudis? Rudis!"


Previous                Next


Comments