Attention!!

Please do not copy and repost series from Novellatte. Please ask for permission first. Let's respect each other.

IWAP - Chapter 53


"I guess I should get up."

“Everyone, please get up!”

The Empress, who had been fidgeting nervously while watching the First Consort, brightened at the First Consort's words and hurriedly stood up from her seat.

As the Empress and the First Consort stood up, the noble ladies also began to stir. Among them were women who secretly let out a sigh of relief. I, too, followed them to my seat. The First Consort slowly approached me.

The Consort was indeed a woman who had survived at the pinnacle of power for a long time. She seemed to have sorted out her emotions in that brief moment. A perfectly drawn smile had settled on her lips before anyone realized it.

The First Consort's gaze toward me was still piercingly cold and sharp.

"It seems I underestimated the young lady."

"You are too kind, Your Highness, the First Consort."

I placed my hand on my chest and bowed lightly toward the First Consort, as if I had been praised. The seasoned woman showed no emotion on her face, but she could not hide the slight twitching of her eyebrows.

"There is an old saying that the jagged stone gets hammered. I sincerely hope that Young Lady does not prove to be a match for that saying."

"I do not know whether I will become a jagged stone or a chisel that smooths it out. I will take the advice of the First Consort to heart."

The First Consort's eyebrows twitched violently, unlike before. Her lips, finely painted with red rouge, twisted.

"We'll see."

Her words, spat out as if chewing, were laced with a sharp murderous intent. Her voice was so terrifying that if a voice alone could inflict wounds, it would be more than enough to tear my body to shreds.

From her perspective, it was no different than me bringing up a scandal she wanted to keep buried for the rest of her life. My actions served as a catalyst to remind the noble ladies living in the same era as the First Consort of the matter that had been forgotten.

She turned and brushed past me. The hem of her voluminous skirt fluttered wildly at her rough movements. The women following the First Consort, including the Empress, hurriedly chased after her.

"I never thought I'd see something like this in my lifetime."

As soon as the First Consort disappeared, Countess Rustin approached me. Her wrinkled face was full of joy.

Pooooo

Before Countess Rustin could continue speaking, the trumpet sounded again. It was the signal that the Emperor had arrived at his resting place. At the sound of the trumpet, a look of disappointment appeared on Countess Rustin's face.

"I would like to talk more with Young Lady, but given the location, it is a shame."

"That's exactly what I'm saying. I find it very regrettable as well."

The Marchioness of Engrail approached the space between the Countess of Rustin and me. Baroness Vizdel was with the Marchioness of Engrail. The Marchioness Engrail’s gaze, full of goodwill, turned toward me.

"If you have the time, please come visit the Marquis Engrail estate. I have a feeling that I could form a good bond with the young lady."

I held my skirt slightly and bent my knees slightly toward the Marchioness Engrail.

"If you invite me, I will gladly go, Marchioness."

"Very well. I will send someone soon. I will be waiting, Young Lady."

"I will be waiting as well, Lady Elliot."

Baroness Vizdel suddenly grabbed my hand. It could have been quite rude to do so to someone I wasn't close to, but instead of blaming her, I smiled and held her hand back.

I had no intention of spoiling the mood of Baroness Vizdel, who was expressing her desire to become close with her whole body. She would one day make a name for herself in society with her own talents. There was nothing wrong with getting close to her.

"We'll be going now."

At the words of the Marchioness of Engrail, Baroness Vizdel let go of my hand with a face dripping with disappointment.

"Then, I will see you shortly. Countess Rustin, Lady Elliott."

"I will see you shortly. Marchioness Engrail, Baroness Vizdel."

"I will see you in a moment."

The Marchioness of Engrail smiled at the greetings between the Countess of Rustin and me and left. Baroness Vizdel looked back at me several times even as she followed behind the Marchioness.

"It seems Baroness Vizdel is very fond of the young lady."

“Is that so?”

I neither agreed with the Countess nor refuted her words.

"Young Lady is a truly strange person."

I looked at the Countess without answering. There was no sign of displeasure or aversion to me on her face. On the contrary, she was looking at me with a face full of interest.

"Will you accept my invitation as well?"

"I will gladly agree."

"I am looking forward to that day. There are so many stories I want to share with Young Lady."

"I feel the same way, Countess."

Countess Rustin smiled with satisfaction at my answer. Sounds of admiration and cheers could be heard from not far away. It seemed they had released the game caught during the morning.

"Shall we leave now, too?"

"Please go ahead. I will follow shortly."

At my words, the Countess smiled and left first. A cool breeze blew from behind. My wide-brimmed hat fluttered in the wind. I adjusted my hat so it wouldn't fly away and moved my feet.

***

Act 11 Shower

I had expected it, but the battle of wills with the women left me mentally exhausted. I didn't want to go to where everyone was gathered like this. I needed a place to rest alone for a while.

Many horses were resting in the waiting area. Among them, some appeared injured. It seemed they had been hurt while out hunting.

The people in charge of the horses were tending to the injured, unaware of my arrival. I walked past them and found a familiar brown mare among the many horses.

Purr.

The horse shook its head as if glad to see me. I approached the horse and stroked its mane.

The unique, stiff texture of animal fur could be felt across the entire palm.

"It looks like you were bored all alone."

Thanks to Landt, who liked horseback riding, I also often enjoyed riding. My horse was purchased along with Landt's horse.

She was a slightly older mare, but since she was the mother of the foal chosen by Landt, I bought her without a second thought. She was only used for walks around the garden inside the mansion, so there hadn't been any problems so far.

"I'd like you to take this child."

One of the managers approached at my call. He bowed toward me.

"Are you Lady Elliot?"

"Who are you?"

"I am Bern, the manager of the Imperial horses."

“What about Jackson?”

All the horses here had owners. Usually, the person in charge of the family's horses would accompany them to hunting competitions like this. Jackson was one of the Elliot family's horse managers. I looked around for him, but his face was nowhere to be seen among the many managers.

"The Marquis's horse was injured, so he has left his post for a moment."

I frowned involuntarily. If the horse was injured to that extent, there was a high probability that the Marquis riding it would not have been safe either. I asked reflexively.

“What about the Marquis?”

"The Marquis is fine. It seems his horse was slightly scraped by a tree branch while moving."

I let out a sigh of relief without realizing it. I unconsciously clutched my chest and was startled.

Upon hearing the news of the horse's injury, I was first worried about the Marquis's safety. It seemed that the Marquis had taken a deep place within me without me even realizing it.

It wasn't a bad feeling. The sense that he was my father hadn't really sunk in yet, but he was family.

It was certain that it had crossed the border.

I thought about going to see him, but shook my head. The Marquis was the Chancellor. Many people must be stationed around him. I had no desire to be among them right now. I had already been harassed by people enough.

"Give me the horse."

"Yes."

At my words, he untied the horse's reins with practiced movements and handed them to me. With his help, I mounted the horse.

"I'll come in an hour."

I held the reins and spoke to him. Instead of answering, he bowed his head. I lightly kicked the horse's belly. The horse moved as if accustomed to my will.

I passed where the horses were waiting and moved toward a secluded spot overgrown with trees. Although it was only a small part of the mountains, the area around the hunting grounds was neatly organized by mountain keepers and knights. There was no problem even if I enjoyed a hike alone.

Bright sunlight was scattering light through the branches. The occasional cool breeze and the chirping of mountain birds revitalized my weary body and mind.

It seemed like it would be nice to stroll around here with Landt. I should ask the Emperor later to let me come here with just the two of us. I also thought it would be nice to pack a lunch and come for a picnic.

"Bee!"

I was about to pull the reins, thinking of moving elsewhere, when I heard a voice calling me. I turned my head toward the sound and saw the Crown Prince running toward me, his silver hair fluttering in the wind. He screamed, his face showing a look of bewilderment or near-shock, as if startled by something.

"Bee, out of the horse...

Heehee!

Before he could finish speaking, the docile horse let out a loud cry and hoisted its front legs. I gripped the reins tightly to brace myself against the tilting body.

Heeeeeee!

“Bee!”

I heard the Crown Prince's shout, but the horse's scream-like howl hit my eardrums first. The horse began to run wildly. I gripped the reins and pressed myself tightly against the horse's back.

"Bee!"

I heard him call my name, but I couldn't even turn my head. All I could do was struggle with all my might not to fall off the horse.

The speed at which the horse ran at full throttle was beyond imagination. In my entire life, I had never ridden a horse running like a madman. I gritted my teeth and threw it away.

The place where the horse was galloping was a dense forest. The branches that brushed past quickly left scratches here and there, but I was so terrified that I could not feel the sting.

It was death I had already experienced twice. I was not afraid of death itself. I had to leave behind what I feared.

It was a lingering attachment to them.

I don't know how far it ran. I don't know what went wrong, but the horse didn't slow down even while gasping for breath.

It didn't. Instead, it ran precariously, staggering as if it were about to collapse.

Rrrrrip.

With the sound of leather tearing, the reins I had been gripping loosened. I managed to lift my head to see that the reins connected to the horse's bit were torn. Reflexively, I gripped the reins and the horse's mane tightly.

Heeeeeee!


Previous                    Next



Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments