Attention!!

Please do not copy and repost series from Novellatte. Please ask for permission first. Let's respect each other.

IWAP - Chapter 51




Countess Rustin harbored ill feelings toward the First Consort. Although it was not outwardly obvious, the rift between Countess Rustin and the First Consort was deep enough for anyone aware of their relationship to notice.

True to her cautious nature, she did not act rashly, but Countess Rustin’s ill feelings toward the First Consort were quite deep. This was because her younger brother was the fiancé abandoned by the First Consort.

The fiancé, abandoned by the Consort, could not overcome the shock and chose to take his own life. It was a foolish choice, but the repercussions were significant. Having lost their only heir, Countess Rustin's family eventually fell into the hands of the collateral branch and became powerless.

To Countess Rustin, the First Consort was no different from an enemy of the family. Although she did not show it outwardly, she was sharpening her blade against the First Consort. And when I became Empress, she drew that blade.

It was customary for not only the new Emperor's brothers but also the former Emperor's concubines to leave the palace when the Emperor changed. However, by custom, up to the rank of 'Royal Consort' was permitted to remain in the palace.

The Consort also did not leave the palace even after the Emperor's death. No one could oppose her staying in the palace. It was then that Countess Rustin stepped forward.

She argued for the First Consort's expulsion from the palace, citing ancient texts and legal codes as evidence. Even scholars came forward to support her. Faced with logical arguments and clear evidence, even the First Consort had no way to withstand it. In the end, she had no choice but to leave the palace.

There is a saying that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. The standoff between the First Consort and me was no different from openly declaring each other enemies. Yet, I was the one who reached out to Countess Rustin first.

It didn't matter what she thought of me. It probably didn't matter to her what kind of person I was, either. What mattered was the fact that we were both facing the same enemy.

As long as a common enemy existed, we could form a bond. And as long as that bond existed, I was willing to make full use of everything she had.

I was certain she would take my hand. And that certainty was right; the corners of her mouth curved upward.

"As Lady Elliot said, it is basic etiquette to clearly identify the person you are speaking to when conversing in a gathering of many people."

The Countess's gaze left me and turned toward the noisy crowd. As soon as her eyes met theirs, their mouths shut instantly.

"There are often people who make big mistakes because they fail to stick to the basics. It is truly unfortunate."

Countess Rustin's gaze turned back to me. Her eyes curved, and fine wrinkles formed around them. She bowed her head slightly so that only I could see. I also bowed my head toward her. An unspoken deal had been struck between her and me.

"I was impressed that a young lady knows the basic etiquette that even those skilled in society often overlook."

"Indeed. As expected of a young lady from a noble family."

"I think I understand why His Imperial Majesty is so keen on her as a daughter-in-law."

The ladies sitting around the Countess began to speak in agreement with her words. The cold atmosphere instantly turned favorable.

"Thank you."

I placed my hand on my chest and bowed slightly toward Countess Rustin and the ladies surrounding her.

"Oh my! That is truly a flawless greeting."

"It seems the young lady received her education from a very dignified noblewoman."

Pure admiration filled Countess Rustin's eyes. She seemed genuinely surprised by my manners. I smiled and replied to her compliment.

"You are too kind. I am merely inadequate compared to Countess Rustin."

I smiled gently at the Countess. The interest in her eyes deepened. It was inevitable, after all, that everything I did was no different from exactly mimicking hers.

She may be seeing me for the first time today, but I already knew her. When I had just become the Crown Princess, Countess Rustin was in charge of my etiquette lessons by order of the Emperor. The Emperor was always lenient toward me, but he was strict when it came to basic manners and etiquette.

I had no choice but to attend her etiquette lessons for the amount of time the Emperor had set. It was enough time to understand her demeanor and personality.

The reason I was certain she would hold my hand was that I knew her personality.

"Good heavens, Lady Elliot is not only polite but also humble."

Someone spoke up with a fuss. I don't remember the exact family name, but they belonged to the Crown Prince's faction. Perhaps acting as a catalyst, people from the faction began showering me with praise from all around.

Unlike the Crown Prince faction, which had begun to show signs of vitality, the faces of the noble faction, including the Consort, hardened. In particular, the Consort's face, as she glared at me, was contorted viciously.

My eyes met the Consort's. I pretended to cover my mouth with a fan, blocking the corners of my mouth so only she could see, and twisted my lips upward. It was an obvious sneer.

Consort's gaze toward me grew even fiercer. I turned my eyes away from Consort and flashed a seemingly kind smile at the group praising me.

"I have only mastered the basics. Being praised like this makes my face burn."

"In anything, the basics are the most important. This is especially true when it comes to etiquette."

"You are absolutely right. If one lacks even basic competence, it is embarrassing to even be called a noble."

It seemed that Vienna had more enemies than expected. Once the tide turned, it became a raging current that swept in all directions. Not only the Crown Prince and the neutral faction, but also a few members of the aristocratic faction quietly chimed in.

Although Vienna was not explicitly mentioned, there was no one here who did not know who the person lacking even basic etiquette was referring to.

Consort's face turned bright red, as if it were on fire. However, if she were to get angry in this situation, it would be no different than exposing herself as someone lacking basic manners.

Perhaps because she wasn't that stupid, Consort just glared at me as if he wanted to kill me and couldn't join in the conversation.

As the aristocratic faction fell silent, the Crown Prince faction and the neutral faction began to take the lead in the conversation. The initiative had already shifted to their side. No matter how powerful she was as the First Consort, she would not be able to easily reclaim the lost initiative.

While the noble faction remained silent, a friendly conversation began between the Crown Prince faction and the neutral faction, but it consisted mostly of older people. The young ladies, having just come of age and being inexperienced in etiquette, hesitated to join the conversation. They appeared apprehensive about incurring disapproval by acting against proper protocol.

It is the older ladies who currently dominate high society. However, as time goes by, their place will be taken by the young ladies who keep their mouths shut like mute people and watch the ladies' every move. It was necessary to win their favor.

"The Asteia family is located in the North, isn't it?"

"Yes? Yes."

Levina answered in surprise at my sudden question. I met her flustered eyes and continued in a soft voice.

"I heard that the North is famous for silk and embroidery. An acquaintance of mine couldn't help but marvel at the silk they purchased there. This dress I am wearing was also made from silk imported from the North."

I lifted my skirt slightly as if to show the fabric of the dress, but I did not forget to subtly reveal the embroidery on the inside so that only she could see it.

All of Louisha's products had clover flowers embroidered in unseen places. The dress I was wearing was no exception. A single delicate clover flower, along with my initials, sat shyly in an unseen spot on the hem of the skirt.

Her eyes flickered as she spotted the clover. She mumbled as she opened her mouth.

“Uh, over there…”

It was a small, whispering voice, but I, waiting for her answer right beside her, could hear it clearly. I gave her a gentle smile to put her at ease and allowed her to speak. Perhaps my consideration had worked, as Levina seemed to muster up courage and spoke a little louder than before.

"Is the dress you are wearing Louisha's dress by any chance?"

Recently, Louisha's products had been gaining sensational popularity among young ladies. The bold designs that accentuated their figures, the dazzling colors that blinded the eyes, and the colorful items instantly captivated the hearts of these girls, who are easily swayed by new things. Levina was no exception, as she was looking at me with a flushed face.

"Yes, it is Madame Miela's work."

Madame Miela was the chief designer of Louisha. She was in charge of Louisha's overall design, including dresses, shoes, and accessories.

Even before joining Louisha, she was quite well-known among the noble ladies. However, due to financial reasons, she was unable to fully realize her talents. It was Anasha who brought Miela into Louisha. With her financial constraints lifted, Miela’s talent reached its peak, and she burned with creative passion.

"Wasn't Madame Miela the designer of Shangri-La?"

A lady who appeared to be in her mid-twenties interrupted the conversation between me and Levina. It was not just her; the eyes of all the women sitting nearby were directed at me and Levina.

As expected, luxury items like dresses were undoubtedly a subject that any woman, young or old, would be tempted by.

"Recently, she has been working at Luiasha. My coming-of-age dress was also her creation."

"Oh my! Come to think of it, the dress and accessories Lady Eliant was wearing back then were all Luiasha's, weren't they?"

A young lady opened her mouth and made a fuss. Although she looked younger than I remembered, her face was definitely familiar. She was a young lady from a family affiliated with the Crown Prince's faction, a woman with a profound interest in dresses and jewelry. She used to satisfy her own desires by encouraging my extravagance while staying by my side as the Crown Princess.

"That is correct, Lady Nuela!"

"Um, do you know me?"

"Of course. Didn't we exchange greetings at my coming-of-age ceremony?"

She continued speaking, agitated, after my answer.


Previous                Next

Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments