"It is my fault for being late to the imperial event. I apologize."
I held my skirt on both sides and bent my knees. I could see the corners of the First Empress’s mouth stiffening slightly, perhaps because my actions were different from what she had expected. I smiled brightly at her.
The shorter the regret, the better. If this place is uncomfortable, I can simply make it my own now.
"I will come early next time, Your Majesty the Empress."
"Indeed. It would be best if you came early next time, Young Lady."
The Empress smiled awkwardly. The Empress, who must have known better than anyone that seats were not assigned in the order of arrival, still could not meet my eyes.
I bowed slightly to the Empress and slowly approached the lowest seat. The sound of giggling behind my back was loud. I sat down in my seat with an upright posture.
"You looked uncomfortable standing for so long, but now you look very comfortable, Lady Elliot."
"Indeed. It seems that position fits the Young Lady perfectly, hohoho."
Led by the First Prince's consort, several women openly showed hostility toward me. They appeared to be sycophants trying to flatter the consort. I ignored them as if I couldn't hear them and spoke to the woman sitting next to me.
"Hello."
“Hello, hello.”
She widened her eyes in surprise, as if she had never imagined I would speak to her. I smiled gently at her.
"This is my first time at an event like this. I look forward to working with you."
“Well, I am..."
She blushed and lowered her head. Seeing her ears turn bright red and her embarrassment, it seemed she wasn't used to situations like this, just as expected.
Sitting at the very bottom or near the bottom was tantamount to having no influence not only in status but also in high society. In other words, it meant being a novice unfamiliar with social circles.
What is somewhat unexpected is that the place I am currently at is the Imperial Hunt. Only high-ranking nobles and members of the royal family who have received an invitation are allowed to attend the Imperial Hunt. It was rare to see such an innocent reaction in a place like this.
"Excuse me, may I ask your name? My name is Bjornne Rossa Elliott."
"I, I am Levina Ism Asteia, Young Lady."
She mumbled softly, almost whispering. Her voice was so faint that even I, standing right nearby, could barely hear it. She seemed to have a very timid or extremely shy personality.
The moment I heard her name, I immediately knew why she was able to be here.
The Viscount family of Asteia was the maternal family of the Second Prince. The Second Prince was famous as an eccentric obsessed with alchemy. He ran out of the palace as soon as he was promoted to adulthood.
Unlike Princesses who could only leave the palace after marriage, Princes could freely choose their own residence after passing the coming-of-age ceremony.
However, barring any unforeseen circumstances, it was firmly established as custom to remain in the palace until marriage.
Although it was not a set rule, the majority of Princes received titles upon marriage and left the palace. It was extremely rare for them to remain in the palace after marriage.
Currently, the First Prince was the only Prince remaining in the Imperial Palace after getting married. This was tantamount to saying that he was blatantly aiming for the next throne.
There was only one legal way to remove the First Prince from the palace other than him leaving on his own. It was simply for the Crown Prince or another Prince, excluding the First Prince, to ascend the throne.
When the Emperor changed, the new Emperor's brothers had to leave the palace unconditionally if they had undergone the coming-of-age ceremony, regardless of whether they were married or not. Even minors who had not yet undergone the ceremony were required by law to leave the palace immediately upon turning 16. Cases like that of the Second Prince, who left the palace immediately upon reaching the age of 16 even though the Emperor had not changed, were extremely rare.
Unlike Princesses, who were excluded from the royal family immediately upon marriage, Princes remained members of the royal family even after marriage. The consorts of Princes were also treated with the respect due to members of the royal family. However, their children could not become members of the royal family.
Even though he had left the palace, the Second Prince was undeniably a member of the royal family. It was only natural that Lady Azteia, the Second Prince's maternal family, could be here.
"You are the young lady of Viscount Asteia. It is a pleasure to meet you. Please call me Elliot."
Levina's eyes widened as if they couldn't get any bigger. It seemed she never imagined I would ask her to call me by my name. Usually, asking to be called by one's name on a first meeting meant that you wanted to get close to them.
The First Consort had already considered me an enemy for a long time. Two encounters only solidified that hostility further. Although I absolutely detested troublesome matters, I had no intention of meekly accepting the provocations directed at me.
An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. If they picked a childish fight, all I had to do was childishly retaliate.
It was not easy to establish my own territory in this place controlled by the First Consort. It was highly likely that not only the aristocratic faction but also the majority of socialite heavyweights already had close ties with the First Consort.
If it was difficult because the inside was thick, it had to be torn down from the outside. If the starting point was the young lady of Viscount Asteia, who looked innocent, it was a reasonably good choice.
"May I call Young Lady by your first name?"
“Of course!”
Thinking that I would withdraw the offer if she hesitated even a little, she answered immediately, almost shouting. Surprised that she had raised her voice so loudly, she hurriedly covered her mouth with both hands.
"Hehe. You're cute, Levina."
"Are you ignoring me right now, Lady Elliot!"
There was no way Consort, who had just begun to taste the sweetness of power, could tolerate my disregard. I acted as if I blatantly paid her no attention. She could no longer stand me talking to Levina and shouted at me sharply. It meant her patience had run out.
I covered my mouth with the fan I was holding and looked at her. She was glaring at me, fuming.
I tilted my head and asked her back with an innocent face.
"Did you say anything to me?"
"It seems like the young lady is deaf."
"You are being too harsh."
I frowned in displeasure. At my expression, she opened her mouth with a triumphant look.
"If you weren't deaf, there is no way you wouldn't have heard me."
"I didn't realize you were talking to me. When having a conversation in a crowded place, it is best to clearly identify who you want to speak to. It is basic etiquette."
Consort's face crumpled in an instant. I turned my gaze away from her and looked at the elderly noblewoman sitting near the seat of honor.
A lady who appeared to be in her early to mid-sixties was watching the standoff between Vienna and me with interest. Our eyes met. I pulled up the corners of my mouth and gave her a deep smile.
"Isn't that so, Countess Rustin?"
The Count of Rustin was a major figure even among the neutrals. The territory owned by the Count of Rustin was in the north.
It was a family that had accumulated wealth through trade for generations, situated at a strategic point connecting wealth and the capital.
However, the most famous thing about the Count's family was not the estate or the wealth they possessed. It was Countess Rustin herself.
Countess Rustin was famous for her impeccable manners, to the point of being considered the epitome of a noblewoman. She was recognized and respected within the Empire to the extent that she was invited to serve as a teacher for the etiquette education of not only high-ranking noble ladies but also the imperial Princesses.
The lady whom noble ladies about to make their debut in society most wanted to have as a chaperone was none other than Countess Rustin.
The fact that she was appointed as a chaperone meant that the young lady, the subject of the coming-of-age ceremony, had met Countess Rustin's standards of etiquette. In other words, it was tantamount to receiving a certificate guaranteeing that she possessed excellent refinement as a lady.
Although not as much as the Empress, Countess Rustin also wielded considerable influence in society. The reason I went out of my way to bring the Countess into the conversation, citing Vienna etiquette, was because I intended to exploit her influence.
The fastest way to shake the First Consort's firmly established position in high society was to attack both the outside and the inside simultaneously. If Levina was the starting point on the outside, the first target on the inside was Countess Rustin.
Above all, the Count of Rustin was one of the neutral forces. Unlike the Elliot family, which had belonged to the neutral faction but switched to the Crown Prince's faction following my engagement with the Crown Prince, the Rustin family had not yet chosen either side.
The families belonging to the Crown Prince's faction had no choice but to rally around me, even without me having to extend a hand. Since I was going to go to the trouble of bringing them to my side anyway, it would have been better to attract the neutral faction rather than the Crown Prince's faction.
It was much better.
Even at my sudden pointing, she showed no signs of agitation, as if she had expected it. Everyone's eyes turned toward Countess Rustin and me.
"I have heard that Countess Rustin is an exemplary figure for ladies in her manners. Would you please share your opinion on whether my understanding is correct?"
Countess Rustin did not answer my question immediately. She remained silent, simply gazing at me. I could not sense any emotion on her face.
As her silence dragged on, the quiet surroundings slowly began to stir. From where Consort was sitting, sounds of laughter and mockery toward me could be heard.
"Hmph, you acted all high and mighty, but look at you now."
"I know. How dare you lecture someone who has just made it into society?"
They were talking as if they were conversing amongst themselves, but there was no one sitting here who could not hear their conversation.
"It must have been so absurd that even Countess Rustin isn't saying a word."
"If it were me, I wouldn't be able to sit there out of sheer embarrassment. How shameless."
"She acted up without knowing her place, and now she looks right. Hohoho."
As time went on, their attacks against me became increasingly blatant. I had already anticipated their taunts. There was no need to be shaken by something I had expected.
I sat upright without erasing my smile and did not take my eyes off Countess Rustin. Her eyes narrowed. She seemed to be scrutinizing me like an examiner.
I could have asked again, urging her to answer, but I did not. What I was waiting for was not a response regarding etiquette. The Countess was stalling like that because she also knew my intentions.
Previous Next
Support Novellate!

Comments
Post a Comment