It was not a bad plan if I intended to leave high society completely. However, if I wanted to remain a noble, cleaning up the mess would be quite troublesome. It might feel satisfying to have the peace of mind, but in the current situation, the disadvantages outweighed the advantages.
Ignoring the First Prince's concubine, I turned my gaze to the First Consort. She was watching us with an intrigued expression, as if she were watching an entertaining play. It appeared she intended to slyly intervene and put me in my place once the fight between me and her intensified. For now, I decided to go along with the First Consort's plan, even though the outcome would likely be quite different from what she had anticipated.
"Seeing that you... can't even choose your words properly, you should study the Imperial language."
I turned my gaze from the First Consort to look at the concubine. Her face was flushed, and she parted her lips.
I quickly continued speaking before she could fully open her mouth and make a sound.
"How dare you, Consort, interrupt the conversation between Her Majesty the Empress and me without permission?"
“W-what!”
I looked down at her as she sat there, scanning her from top to bottom. Her face turned red and blue, as if it were about to explode. That sight drove a wedge into me.
"Do you realize that your current behavior is disrespecting Her Majesty the Empress?"
For a moment, silence enveloped the surroundings. Even though the Empress was powerless, the story changed if she were officially humiliated. This was because the humiliation of the Empress was tantamount to the humiliation of the Imperial Family.
If this matter were to be raised officially, it would be difficult to easily smooth it over, even for the First Consort. No matter how lightly it was handled, a concubine would be expelled from the palace for the crime of insulting the Empress. Moreover, I was regarding this matter.
There was the ability to expand significantly, both officially and unofficially.
"Isn't that so, Your Majesty the Empress?"
"I am..."
As all eyes turned toward her at once, the Empress looked at the First Consort, not knowing what to do. The First Consort furrowed her brow slightly. I had clearly asked the Empress where my seat was, and it was her turn to answer. It was clearly the concubine's fault for interrupting that moment.
Considering the Empress's usual standing, it was a matter that could have simply been overlooked. In fact, the First Consort did not hesitate to repeatedly make disrespectful remarks to the Empress. While it may have been partly due to the concubines' lack of proficiency in etiquette, it was likely largely because she had witnessed the Empress being ignored so often.
Looking at the concubine's face, she still seemed unable to fully understand what it was about her that had led to her disrespecting the Empress. Had I not pointed it out, no one here would have noticed. That is how low the Empress's authority had fallen.
"It seems the Consort is inexperienced in imperial etiquette, as she has not been in the palace for long. This is entirely due to my own lack of virtue, so I ask for Your Majesty's understanding."
"Yes... O-of course. I understand completely. If you haven't been in the palace for long, it can't be helped if you are inexperienced in etiquette."
The First Consort spoke to the Empress without taking her eyes off me. The Empress quickly replied to the First Consort's words.
"Consort, please apologize to the Empress."
“B-but.”
"Consort!"
Dissatisfaction escaped the Consort's lips. The First Consort's piercing gaze turned toward the concubine. The concubine flinched and recoiled.
“Please apologize”
"I am sorry, Your Majesty the Empress."
The concubine reluctantly rose and bowed her head toward the Empress.
"It's alright, Consort. It's understandable if you don't know any better."
The Consort's cheek twitched at the Empress's answer. The Empress had meant that ignorance is not a sin, but it seemed to have taken offense at the concubine. Since it did not matter whether their relationship was close or strained, I turned my gaze away from them and looked at the First Consort.
The Empress was also looking at me. Her gaze was fixed on me like a sharply honed blade. I looked at her and twisted my lips upward.
I am not a saint lenient enough to be lenient toward someone who shows hostility toward me. There was no need to show favor to the First Consort who was sending me hostility. If she considered me an enemy, I must also consider her an enemy. Moreover, for a formidable enemy like the First Consort, I should not allow even the slightest opening.
"I didn't know the young lady was so well-versed in imperial etiquette."
It has been eight years in calendar years alone as the Empress. If the time spent as the Crown Princess is included, I have been in the Imperial Palace for over ten years. Imperial etiquette was something that had to be ingrained in me, whether I liked it or not.
"Since I will soon be entering the palace as the Crown Princess, I should naturally be well-versed in imperial etiquette."
At my answer, the First Consort's eyebrows curved slightly upward. It was clear that the word 'soon' had provoked her. It was also a word I had chosen on purpose to provoke her.
My entry into the palace meant that I would become the Crown Princess. It was tantamount to saying that the Inner Palace, which the First Consort had monopolized until now, would be divided. My words were no different from a provocation to the First Consort.
"I hope things turn out just as Young Lady said."
The Consort smiled meaningfully. I could not tell from her expression alone whether she meant she had set up some kind of trap to obstruct my entry into the palace or if she was just putting on a show.
"Since I have already gone through the coming-of-age ceremony, it is possible at any time."
"It is the Crown Prince's marriage. Do you think it will happen that quickly?"
"I also think so, as the First Consort said, but since His Majesty the Emperor is urging us to hold the ceremony immediately, even tomorrow, I do not know what to say."
I smiled shyly at the First Consort, looking both embarrassed and pleased. When fighting with the Crown Prince, the only thing I could do was put on a performance. If I had learned it, wouldn't it be proper etiquette to put it to effective use?
It happened so quickly that it went unnoticed unless you looked closely, but the corners of the First Consort's mouth were seen stiffening while still wearing a smile.
If she had even a shred of common sense, she would have immediately realized the true meaning behind my words. Although I spoke indirectly while pretending to be innocent, the meaning was clear. It meant that the one desperate for my marriage to the Crown Prince was not me, but the Emperor. Interpreted differently, that was no different from saying that the Emperor was standing behind me.
I could feel a commotion among the people around me. Although it was said that the Emperor wanted me and the Crown Prince to marry, knowing it indirectly was different from hearing it directly. I had openly made it clear to those present that the Emperor was behind me.
"No matter how sincere His Majesty the Emperor may be, there are strict rules governing the Imperial Palace. The Crown Prince's wedding cannot be held so lightly. I assume you possess at least that much common sense, Young Lady."
The Consort used a tone as if she were gently restraining a spoiled child throwing a tantrum. It seemed she intended to make me out to be a childish brat lacking common sense. I had anticipated this much. I gave her a troubled look.
"I did tell His Majesty that as well. However, as Your Highness the First Consort knows, His Majesty's resolve is so firm..."
I drew out the end of my sentence as if embarrassed and observed the Consort's expression. The corners of her mouth were trembling slightly. I spoke in a voice that was like a sigh.
"How could I refuse His Majesty's will? I am truly apologetic, Your Highness."
With a single word from me, the 'thoughtless immature brat' the First Consort had spoken of became the Emperor, not me. The First Consort looked at me with a fierce gaze. I met her eyes with a smile. As the First Consort and I fell silent, the surroundings became so quiet that only the sound of breathing could be barely heard.
"I see. If that is His Majesty's will, the Young Lady has no choice but to follow. I understand."
The Consort broke the silence and unfolded the fan she was holding. The corners of her mouth curved gently upward. The air, which had been as sharp as the tip of a needle, instantly settled.
Sighs of relief escaped the lips of several noble ladies. The atmosphere here changed drastically depending on her mood. It meant that the First Consort had her hold on this place. This was the First Consort's territory.
"Come to think of it, Young Lady, you have been standing and talking the whole time. Why don't you take a seat?"
The Consort spoke as if she had just remembered.
"Could you please tell me where my seat is?"
The First Consort scanned her surroundings as if to show off. Her gaze settled on the empty seat at the edge of the tent. The First Consort narrowed her eyes and gently swayed her fan.
"Oh dear, there is only one seat left."
She let out a sigh as if she were very sorry.
"It would have been nice if you had come just a little earlier. It's a pity, Young Lady."
The Consort's intention was clear. It meant that the reason I ended up sitting in the lowest seat was not anyone's intention, but my own fault.
Even if someone who is not here later finds out about this, they cannot blame anyone here for the fault.
It seemed that the Consort had planned this with the Emperor in mind. This was because, although she could not be officially blamed for the wrongdoing since it was merely a petty power struggle between women, she was certainly entitled to a private reprimand.
Even if I were to sit on the floor instead of in the lowest seat, I had no intention of tattling to the Emperor or the Crown Prince. It might have been different for me back then, but my current pride would not allow it.
"I didn't know that seats are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. It seems the First Consort arrived quite early."
"It is an imperial event, so isn't that only natural?"
The First Consort swayed her fan once again. As the fan moved, the noblewomen surrounding her giggled. It seemed as though they had returned to the original plan they had established before I arrived.
The lowest seat was reserved for the person of the lowest rank among the attendees. In such a large gathering, it was extremely shameful for a high-ranking noble to sit in the lowest seat. It must mean that she wants to seat me there and see my reaction of shame.
It was not that I hadn't considered the territoriality of the women when I came here. Unlike back then, I had nothing that could be called my own faction. There was no one here to defend me or support me. Even those who could have become my allies were turning their backs on me, wary of the First Consort. The situation was worse than I had anticipated.
There was only one reason why I hadn't paid attention to socializing until now: I had no intention of marrying the Crown Prince. There was no reason to go out of my way to bring them around me when it wasn't necessary, and I didn't need to. However, it seemed I had been mistaken.
At best, I thought they would treat me like I didn't exist. I never imagined they would exclude me in such a childish and blatant way. Now that it has actually happened to me, it was even more unpleasant than I had expected.
I thought that if I had known it would be this unpleasant, I should have secured a place for myself, whether I married the Crown Prince or not.
Previous Next
Comments
Post a Comment