Attention!!

Please do not copy and repost series from Novellatte. Please ask for permission first. Let's respect each other.

INAT - Chapter 74




I hadn't heard the reason yet, but fortunately, thanks to Wagen bursting in yesterday with a serious face, I was able to escape the suffocating atmosphere.

I wonder how he manages to show up at such incredible timing every time. Yesterday, in particular, was the most appreciated appearance so far.

"But what happened that made it so serious? I'm a bit curious."

I pursed my lips and tilted my head slightly. I wonder if he's going to ask me to have dinner together again tonight?

It still felt awkward seeing Thierry, but on the other hand, I was curious about what was going on. I was looking forward to Thierry.

I let out a hollow laugh at my own ridiculous whim. Ha. I don't know. I absentmindedly stroked the back of Rood, who had naturally settled down with his head resting on my thigh.

"Princess."

It was Marie's voice. When I turned my head, I saw her glancing at Rood from a distance of about two paces.

"You can come closer."

"Ah, then..."

Rood closed his eyes as if he were uninterested in Marie, who was approaching very slowly, step by step.

"It looks like he isn't wary of me anymore. Hehe."

"I guess spending a lot of time together had some effect?"

"I know, right. Did spending a lot of time together have some effect?"

"I guess so. Oh, I looked into it just as you said."

"Ah. Right. I heard something happened?"

I was on my way to meet Rood. A group of knights moving together and people whispering about them from a distance caught my attention. I was even more puzzled because, aside from the usual patrol personnel, I had never seen them moving around in such a large crowd.

The atmosphere inside the palace looked so chaotic that I naturally began to wonder. I had just asked Marie to bring something to sit on the floor and to secretly look into what was going on inside the palace.

"They say they have gone to arrest Duke Joubert. And that Lari, who was staying in the guest room, has already been dragged away!"

"...like this, suddenly?"

"I know, right. I don't know what's going on. It seems like no one really knows what happened."

Since it was a top-secret matter, details might not have been shared yet. However, since a trial had to be held to punish Duke Joubert, his crimes would naturally become known soon. I was surprised, though, as I had expected him to wait and see a little longer, so his response was faster than anticipated.

Are they really going to capture the elves like this?

I vigorously stroked Rood's head and gently pushed him away.

"Rood, you have to wake up for me to get up."

It was so heavy that it wouldn't budge easily. Rood shook his head a few times as if annoyed, then let out a wide yawn and reluctantly stood up.

I stroked Rood's face as if to say he did well, then stood up from my seat. I couldn't let this good opportunity pass me by.

"Do you even know when they left? I wonder if they've arrived by now."

"I'm not entirely sure about that. But they said they would be coming soon."

"Then let's go. Sir Oscar, where are nobles taken if they are arrested?"

Oscar, who had been standing far away, saw us moving and quickly followed us.

"It's this way. But why are you asking that?"

"I’m going to go greet Duke Joubert."

"Oh—that’s my specialty. So the day has finally come. Now, shall we go?"

Oscar immediately brightened up. It was a face I had never seen before, except when he asked to go to the training grounds.

I swallowed my laughter as I followed Oscar, who was enthusiastically walking ahead.

“I think it’s over there.”

"Can't you hear anything?"

"Yes. That is the sound of Duke Joubert causing trouble."

"Aha..."

The prison was located right next to where the elf had been imprisoned, differing only in the building. It appeared to have been situated near the knights' quarters, and a massive number of knights had gathered around the Duke, who was shouting from a distance.

"Can't you let go of this! How dare you do this kind of thing when you know who I am!!!"

"We are merely carrying out the missions sent from above."

"I! I, myself! Am the head of the great family that sustains this empire! How dare you treat me like this!!!"

"We are merely obeying the Emperor's command."

Was it because of all the fuss? The sight of his pathetic back as he was half-dragged away made me feel relieved.

I lingered around slowly, unable to take my eyes off Duke Joubert.

'I love it so much... It's thrilling...'

Perhaps growing increasingly anxious about the knights' overly resolute attitude and the situation, which seemed poised to actually lead them into prison, Duke Joubert suddenly fell silent. He began to look around, as if determined to grasp the situation, even if it was late.

'Huh? If things go well, we might run into each other.'

Sure enough, just as I was thinking about it, my eyes met in mid-air with Duke Joubert, who was looking around.

"You. You...!"

His voice was trembling uncontrollably. His face was bright red as if it were about to explode, and he was stiff and rigid, as if he were a stranger.

"Oh dear, it looks like I’ve come to the wrong place."

I lowered the corners of my eyebrows, raised only my left hand, and lightly covered my mouth with my fingers.

"But surely you weren't dragged here just now?"

"Are you here to watch? Get out of here!"

"What? You mean 'get lost' in such a vulgar way? I wondered why you were being dragged to prison, but I can tell just by looking at your behavior."

“What!”

Duke Joubert's face was turning from pure white to deep blue. The shock looked so immense that it seemed he might faint right then and there.

His noble pride must have been severely wounded. A man who always lived arrogantly above others had to be looked down upon in such a wretched manner in front of so many people; perhaps he just feels like fainting right then and there.

"I. I have done nothing wrong! To think you would try to intimidate me without a single proper piece of evidence! Aren't you afraid of the nobles' backlash!"

"Surely they wouldn't have arrested him without a single piece of evidence."

"... What?"

"Save your energy. Once you go inside, you'll gradually run out of strength to even scream."

Duke Joubert flinched and recoiled. Is he finally starting to get a sense of his future?

I enjoyed watching his colorful facial expressions change. His hair, which was always slicked back like a knife, and his impeccably neat attire—to the point where it seemed almost obsessive—were now extremely disheveled, as if he had become a completely different person.

Just then, the sound of a crow cawing was heard from afar. Duke Joubert, who had been staring blankly into the void, looked up at the sky with a face that looked as if he were going crazy with anxiety.

As if to bless Duke Joubert, the flocks of crows circling around him and cawing deafeningly did not leave for a long time. Suddenly falling silent, Duke Joubert began to be led obediently as the knights dragged him along.

No, it wasn't quite as if he was just going obediently; his face was just half-dazed.

"It seems you are finally getting the hang of it."

“Sure.”

I nodded once to Oscar, whose eyes were sparkling with interest. I was really looking forward to Duke Joubert, who would be heading down the hill at lightning speed starting today.

Ah. But it's a bit of a shame that my wish to live a long life with a chronic illness didn't work out.

***

Whether fortunate or unfortunate, I was unable to have dinner with Thierry yesterday. He seemed very busy; he even told Wagen to make sure I ate, and I haven't seen his face even once until today.

'Ah, I'm bored.'

It was still too early for lunch. Although I had a light breakfast, perhaps because I had been stuck in my room, I felt a bit stifled.

I slowly stepped outside, thinking I might go see Rood again. The wind, having passed springtime before I knew it, was brushing against my skin, carrying the heat of early summer.

The humidity wasn't high, so it wasn't sticky, but a heavy, gloomy atmosphere hung over the entire surroundings. If the weather was like this already in early summer, I had a feeling that this summer would be quite hot.

Hmm... I don't really like that.

I should just stay in my room then. I shouldn't go anywhere and should just hug an ice pack.

"Princess?"

I was walking through the Grand Garden, thinking that I would rather be cold than hot. I turned around at the sound of a voice calling me.

“Huh? You..."

"It's good to see you again."

He was that absurd man who cast a spell and jumped down the stairs on the day of my debutante.

Ethan approached me quickly, his eyes curving gently. He looked so delighted to see me that I nodded once, looking a bit bewildered.

"I know, right. I didn't expect to meet you here."

"Are you taking a walk?"

"Yes. But it looks like you have business at the palace?"

Unless one worked at the palace or was a high-ranking noble attending a meeting, there was no particular reason to come to the palace. Moreover, even if one did come to the palace on business, one never once encountered anyone on the walking paths.

"My younger sibling wanted to accompany the Marquis to the palace today for an emergency meeting, so I came here."

"Ah, Lady Liart has arrived too?"

If you're talking about a younger sibling, it's Ariadne. She is the female lead from the original story, but now she is a complete stranger to me, having absolutely nothing to do with me anymore...

"Yes. But I got lost, and I was looking for her."

"Haha..."

That's why you came this far.

I nodded a couple of times as if I understood. Was it because of the midday sun? Ethan's hair and eye color looked lighter than usual today.

I thought it was a light brown hair color, but it looked strangely yellow, and the eyes had a cool vibe that made them seem too cool to be called pink, so I fiddled with the ends of my hair and exposed them to the sunlight.

Hmm. Mine just looks a little brighter, but does it look different depending on the angle?

I tilted my head slightly, then raised it again. The bright pink eyes that met mine, as if they had been staring at me all along and had been waiting for this moment, were blinking with a look of bewilderment.

"Ah! Instead of doing this here, shouldn't you be going to look for your younger sibling?"


Previous                    Next



Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments