Then, I met the golden eyes of the elf who had been staring at me.
"...First of all, what is your name?"
I whispered very cautiously, as if I were conscious of the surrounding gazes. Seeing my secretive attitude, as if I didn't want to be caught, the elf told me his name without hesitation.
“It’s called Hael.”
"Hael. Thank you for letting me know."
"You're welcome. It is an honor to be able to work with such a great person."
Also... Hmm. If he kept bringing up that 'great person,' it would only delay getting to the point, so I just pretended not to hear and got to the point.
"First off, a necklace that grants wishes. That's fascinating. Are you sure it has been activated?"
"Yes. I was able to tell because I have been researching that necklace for a long time."
I tilted my head slightly. What was Thierry longing for that made me come here? He didn't answer when this elf asked him earlier, but he clearly seemed to have realized something.
I wonder if I should ask him later. I didn't feel as much as I expected about him calling me here.
It was me who had tripped and died in the first place, and well, I don't know for sure since I've never been to the afterlife, but I suspected that I had been drawn there in response to his wish at the moment of death. I could picture him feeling guilty and watching my every move, but I was too curious to just leave him to his own devices.
"You ended up here because of that man. Don't you resent him?"
I narrowed my eyebrows at his loud shout, sounding furious. I was a bit taken aback by his expression, which looked like he was going crazy with injustice even more than I was.
"...Thanks to you, I learned something I didn't know before."
I naturally lowered the corners of my eyebrows, pretending to be sullen. Then, muttering softly in a gloomy tone, I met his gaze. As expected, my reaction brought a flush to the elf's face.
"We are always on your side. We have always wished only to serve the Great One."
"Ah. Hope... I suppose the fact that you can recognize what I look like is also because of that hope?"
"I wish that were the case, but the traces of the Great One are guiding us."
It was nice that he blew it more fluently than I expected, but it was a shame that he spoke vaguely, so I couldn't understand him perfectly.
Fearing that asking too many questions here might make them wary again, I decided to just mutter "I see" and nod a couple of times instead.
"Don't you want to leave?"
The elf, who had been staring at me intently, asked quietly. He looked up at me with such pure eyes that I might have been tempted had the conversation with Thierry not gone well. So much so that I began to think he might be a devil, whispering like a snake with such a beautiful face.
"...I don't know. Even if I wanted to leave, it's not like I can."
I smiled weakly. I said something that left just a little room for interpretation, and didn't add anything more.
That was enough. In that case, this elf would imagine things to suit his own taste and make a proposal to me.
"Would you go if I offered to help?"
Look at this.
"I'm trapped here right now."
"I will let you know how to contact another elf."
It was an unexpected remark. As I said it, I realized once again just how immense the existence of dragons was to them. It was fascinating to see them open their hearts in such an instant, considering they were such a closed group.
"Me, contacting the elf?"
"Yes. It's not a difficult task."
"Ah... I was worried I might get caught."
As I hesitated, the elf spoke impatiently.
"All you have to do is place a note on the windowsill. A blank piece of paper will do. Just placing that paper there is enough to show us your intentions."
“Paper?”
"Yes. We are always keeping an eye on things, so they will come right away."
It was a simpler method than I thought. It was simply amazing how they managed to do it without getting caught.
I nodded as if listening attentively, then opened my eyes wide like someone who had just remembered something.
"Come to think of it, there is something I am curious about..."
“What is it?”
"Hmm. Since I saw this in a dream, it might not be certain."
I paused for a moment, then cautiously continued.
"They told me to head toward the western end. They said I could meet them if I followed the fireflies..."
I looked at the elf, trailing off as if he were unsure. The elf, who had been listening with just a curious expression, gradually filled with shock and ecstasy.
"What kind of dream did you have?"
I rolled my eyes. Since I'm trapped here and won't be able to get out anyway, shouldn't I at least say this much? I also wondered if I should give up some of my information to get the other person's.
Besides, honestly, it’s easier said than done. Considering how vast this continent is, how am I supposed to move with only the clue that it is the westernmost point? From the start, that was preposterous information to move with.
Since the table was already set, I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to try testing the elf with the mindset of making sure to eat well.
"Yes, a woman with red hair appeared."
"Red-haired! You have seen the glory of your past life!"
To be precise, I was fighting an elf, though.
I smiled awkwardly and kept my mouth shut.
"It seems my long-held faith has finally reached its limit. I have no regrets even if I were to die now. Not only did I meet you, but I have even received proof of it..."
"Faith? Haha..."
"If only I could tell you, I would want to pour out everything."
"Yes?"
"Since the location of the mind is something that cannot be explained in words, it is true that what you already know is all there is. I would like to share as much information as possible with you, but I apologize for not being able to."
It cooled down quickly.
The elf didn't have time to notice me and was overwhelmed with emotion, his eyes reddening the whole time. He even started rolling his eyes like a fanatic, to the point where I wanted to run away.
However, considering how much he exaggerates, it doesn't seem like it's particularly helpful... As I watched him lost in his own delusions without even answering my question, I began to feel skeptical, wondering if it wouldn't be better to just go back and comfort Thierry instead.
Besides the Elf's location, I have something else I'm curious about...
Ah, right. I forgot the most important thing!
"Hael, you know about Lari, who is currently at the Imperial Palace, right?"
"...Are you talking about that brown-haired human woman?"
"Yes! As you know, there was a time when I lived as Lari. So I thought I was dead, but seeing the exact same person appear was a bit confusing. That body. Could it be the body I inhabited? If so, who on earth is the woman inside it right now?"
I covered my mouth with both hands as if scared and trembled my eyebrows.
"She is the original owner of that body. Although jer soul was as good as dead, it seems you parasitized her power."
"So you're saying we were in the same body?"
So it was originally Lari? Is that why she thought she shared all my memories?
"Yes. After your soul left your body, she lay in a long sleep, having lost her strength, but thanks to our spell, she can move for a short while."
"For a moment...?"
"It is a soul that has lost its strength. It is bound to leave someday."
What is this? Aren't these a group of sorcerers, not elves? My stomach churned at the actions of these elves, who were performing all sorts of creepy spells.
"We devoted a great deal of time and effort to this for you, knowing how difficult it must have been for you to adapt while wearing a skin that did not fit you. However, it is deeply regrettable to hear that the body we prepared to allow you to manifest your abilities to the fullest did not suit you..."
"Ah. Is that why I ended up entering this body? Is it because of my affinity with nature...?"
"As for the reason, the spirit body we prepared has a higher affinity for nature. I suspect that you were guided here because there is a part of that body whose wavelength matches your soul."
"Aha, then I suppose I am the best option."
I really wish that were the case. It’s not like this is a horror movie; does it make sense that my soul keeps going back and forth? It felt so unsettling, like I wasn't truly living even though I was.
"I tried to try again, but I only vaguely heard that it wouldn't be easy because it is now almost one with the body."
However, contrary to my worries, the elves were deeply immersed in their own world. Seeing them speak so matter-of-factly, as if my opinion would naturally match theirs, I felt a strong sense of crisis.
I absolutely cannot leave the elves like this. I gritted my teeth inwardly and furrowed my brows as if I were deliberately worried.
"I see. Thank you for telling me. But is it okay to tell me everything like this?"
"You are directly involved, and even if you knew, nothing would change. Rather, I simply hope that, knowing everything, you will understand our pure intentions."
I don't know about anything else, but I can tell for sure that he is purely insane.
"Thanks for the conversation. Um... it's a shame I can't help with the current situation."
"It is enough just to have met a great person."
That is how it looks. The elf seemed so full of joy that I wondered if I had said it for nothing, seeing how happily he reacted to even my empty words.
I turned around and called out to Wagen.
"I sincerely hope you find the light of the west."
The elf's low murmuring followed my back.
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment