To think he was still thinking that way when it has been so long since we talked. He did cry earlier, but I thought he had accepted it quite well; it seems he just hasn't been able to adapt to this situation.
I slowly scanned his face with a fresh gaze. Although he had only let tears fall in drops without a sound, the corners of his eyes and cheeks, where he had barely managed to stop crying just moments ago, still retained a warmth. To think Thierry was speaking so hesitantly with such an anxious look; regardless of his previous image, the man standing before me now looked incredibly fragile.
It was to the point where it looked pitiful, to the point where it would have been better if he had just been as mean and blunt as he was when we first met.
"No. Look at this. You can feel the texture, right?"
"I'm afraid that if I close my eyes and open them again, you'll pretend not to know."
You're really pricking my conscience again. I did expect it wouldn't be easy for you to completely let go with just a few apologies, but isn't it a bit too much to be so foolish as to not even blink?
With a troubled expression, I pulled one of the hands he was holding and brought it to my face. Then, I carefully rubbed the area around his eyes with my thumb, which were red and veiny.
"Not at all. I’m going to pretend I know until the day I die. No, actually, I’ll even engrave it on my tombstone. A close confidant of His Imperial Majesty rests here."
“...What is an entourage?”
"Hmm, then a maid? But since I'm not a maid right now, how about old friends? With a connection like this, aren't we worthy of being called friends?"
"You were scared just moments ago, and now we're friends?"
"Take back what I just said. You're acting like this the moment I told you you were better when you spoke bluntly."
I glared at him with a bitter, cold look as I grumbled sulkily, as if finding everything unpleasant. Then, seeing him repeatedly glance at me and down as if checking my reaction, I soon smiled and opened my mouth.
"I'm not afraid of Your Majesty anymore. It's just that I misunderstood; I know perfectly well now that you are actually trying to protect me!"
"Yeah, I'll protect you for the rest of your life."
"For a lifetime? I really should engrave that on my tombstone. Ah. But am I being too arrogant, friend?"
I feel somehow excited. Now that I’ve poured out everything, I’m reminded of my childhood, and perhaps because I feel a distinct sense of closeness to him, words are flowing out without hesitation.
I glanced at him with a slightly worried look. Then, he carefully took my hand as I tried to withdraw it from his face and placed it against his cheek. He hesitated for a moment, gently rested his cheek against my hand, slowly lowered his eyes, and then looked at me again.
"Rather than being arrogant... I think I'd prefer something closer than that."
"Something closer? If it's something closer, isn't it only a best friend? But you told me that's only Maud."
"...What is that? Do it just the two of you?"
His tone was extremely displeased. I couldn't help but laugh at the sudden change in his expression, as if the person who had looked up at me so earnestly just moments ago had vanished.
"It means best friend in our language."
"Ah, so in the end, we're friends."
"Yes, Your Majesty, what were you talking about?"
"...I don't think I should say it now."
"Huh? What is it?"
"Later."
"What is there to say later after coming here? Just say it."
"Family."
It was such an unexpected remark that I blinked my eyes several times. I naturally assumed he wouldn't have any affection for his family, but was he unexpectedly harboring a longing for them?
But marriage is the only way for the two of us to become a family. It’s unclear if you said that with that in mind. Did you say it impulsively out of joy at seeing each other after so long?
Although I was flustered, I could somewhat understand his current situation. There certainly couldn't be any emotional aspect to it, but I struggled with how to answer.
"...Weren't we family enough even without being connected by blood? I have always regarded Your Majesty as family."
I tried my best to impress him by saying that we were already like family, in order to live up to his wishes. At that, Thierry, who had been staring at me intently, let out a short click of his tongue.
"I knew it."
What is it? It seemed like he agreed with what I said, but his expression didn't seem to agree at all, so I tilted my head.
"Let's talk about this later, not right now. I don't think it's the right time. Come to think of it, what was your original name?"
He spoke slyly, as if he had something on his mind, and naturally changed the subject.
It was a sudden change of topic and an unexpected question, so I stammered a bit. He had listened to everything I had to say, but I didn't expect him to accept it so immediately and ask.
"Ah. The name... But do you believe everything I said?"
"What is there to disbelieve? It's amazing enough that you've appeared right in front of my eyes."
“I guess so.”
"So, what was the name?"
I slowly lowered my hand from his cheek. I looked down at his hand, which followed and wrapped around mine, and repeatedly closed and opened my eyes slowly.
"...I don't know. I felt like it would be hard to keep remembering, so I tried to forget about it, but at some point, I really just couldn't remember anymore."
I smiled, scowling at the bridge of my nose. With my gaze still fixed downward, I struggled to silently swallow the bitter feeling.
"It's fine. It's not particularly important anyway."
"Then should I call you by a different name?"
"Um... no. I intend to just remain Elisha. If the dream was true, the dragon told me that the owner of this body had already left long ago. I’m sorry, but since it was thanks to that that I was able to come back to life, I plan to keep the name for the sake of my family who waited for me."
"Okay. But let's decide on a nickname. I want to call you something special."
"Ah. A nickname? That's nice. How about Elly? If you call me something too different, I think others might misunderstand, so let's just keep it similar to this."
"It would be better if they misunderstood..."
"Yes?"
"...No. I'll call you Elly. But only I'm going to call you that. No Maud either."
The thought of what Thierry had said about keeping Maud in check flashed through my mind. I had thought it was half a joke, but looking at it now, I realized it was actually true.
"Okay, but please call me that only when it's just the two of us."
"Why?"
It was surprising enough that he was suddenly calling me by my name, but if he went around calling me by a nickname, it was obvious how the rumors would spread.
Thierry, you don't have anyone in mind right now, and since your affection for me has grown deep enough to make you miss me for so long, it seems you want to become family, but I should have at least kept my ground. If I had just endlessly given in to everything you wanted, we might both regret it later.
"After all, I am from a foreign country. I do not think we are in a situation where we should be close enough to call each other by a nickname, Your Majesty, so I would appreciate it if you would refrain from doing so in front of others, at least until the issue with Ashtad is resolved."
"...Ashtad, we just have to solve it, right?"
“No violence!”
"I won't do it. What do you think of me?"
"What else could it be? I see you as Princess Thierry." A hollow laugh escaped me at his audacity as he narrowed his eyebrows, his face instantly restored.
"Okay. I'll believe you."
"But why are you laughing like that?"
"No, not at all. Oh. I stopped talking about my dream, didn't I? I'll finish telling you."
"...Okay."
He answered reluctantly with a displeased look on his face.
"Ah, before we talk, let me ask you this first. What is the name of His Majesty the First Emperor?"
"Rainerio Podia."
He suddenly raised one eyebrow as if asking why I was asking that. However, instead of continuing to speak to him, I was completely absorbed in mulling over the words that had crossed my mind.
"But to hear that you've met him again, I hope you find happiness for both of us."
Could it be that we met again... Thierry...?
No way. Probably not.
***
In the dark room, Lari sat in the corner of the bed, hugging her knees; her face was beyond white—it was pale to the point of death. With the sunset having vanished from the sky, the room was barely lit by a single candle, yet her white face was clearly visible.
Thump, thump.
The sound of nail biting filled the room. Lari continued to bite her nails, not caring that the smooth flesh of her fingers was being torn and blood was staining them.
"...You mean they weren't taken away, but rather captured?"
Something must be wrong. Considering what kind of opportunity this was, how can I be the one getting taken advantage of instead?
She was going crazy with frustration that while she was told to somehow snatch up the Emperor's side, he couldn't even kidnap a mere woman and was forcing the two of them to be together again.
Knock knock.
"I said I want to be alone!"
A hysterical voice burst out at the sound of a knock. The woman, realizing her mistake, immediately brought her hand to her mouth, her expression showing she didn't want to worry about it.
"Duke Joubert has arrived. Shall I tell him to return?"
"It’s alright. He came here after making an appointment in advance."
However, before her hand could even reach her mouth, the door burst open, and Duke Joubert entered. He glanced around the pitch-black room, told the maid trying to follow him out, and only moved his legs again after confirming that the door was closed.
"Duke, you're here?"
Lari slowly stepped out of bed, hiding her hands behind the back of her skirt. Duke Joubert, who had been staring at her, furrowed his brows.
"Was it true that you were close to His Majesty?"
Suspicion and anxiety were evident in the words Duke Joubert blurted out abruptly. It was clear that he had come seeking help as soon as he heard the rumor that the Emperor had returned to the palace holding Elisha preciously.
"Of course. You know that, Duke."
However, Lari pretended not to notice and instead smiled boldly. Gone was the sight of her trembling with anxiety from moments ago; her smiling face was just like usual.
However, Duke Joubert, who would usually agree and laugh along, kept his mouth stiff, as if it were plaster.
Previous Next

Comments
Post a Comment