Attention!!

Please do not copy and repost series from Novellatte. Please ask for permission first. Let's respect each other.

INAT - Chapter 60




"No, it's fine. I heard that getting a balanced diet is more important, so I'm trying to eat without being picky.

"Right, that's a good idea. And I'm going to send you some medicinal herbs that are good for your health, so make sure to brew and drink those regularly."

Thierry showed a great deal of interest in my meal. He even went so far as to show extreme consideration, telling me to let him know if I felt like I couldn't digest it, and he was so focused on me that I briefly forgot about the imposter.

I nodded with a strange feeling, not bothering to hold back the corners of my mouth from curling up.

"...It's really delicious. I can't believe Maud made all of this!"

The moment Maud's name came out of the imposter's mouth, my good mood plummeted in an instant. It was because I recalled Maud's words that had been conveyed through Marie earlier.

That remark that it seems it will be difficult to meet separately for the time being.

Of course, it could simply have been because he was busy. I know that the kitchen gets the busiest when guests visit the Imperial Palace. However, hearing those words right after the imposter appeared, I couldn't help but feel stifled.

"She was good with my hands when she was young, but I never imagined she would be this successful. Oh, can't I invite Maud too? It would be nice to have a meal together..."

"I can call her over for a moment, but the sous chef would probably be uncomfortable having a meal together."

"Oh, why? We used to all eat together in the past, you know. Then let me just ask you this one time. Please?"

"...Do whatever you want."

The imposter grinned as if satisfied with the permission she had received—even though it was a reluctant answer. But strangely enough, it looked like she was smirking at me, which left me dumbfounded.

It really wasn't just my imagination; anyone would surely feel the same way I did if they saw Thierry lower his gaze, look at me immediately, and smile with a look that said, "Look at this." My hand gripping the fork tightened involuntarily.

I was struck by the fact that Wagen, who usually stayed outside the dining room while I ate, was keeping watch today and, upon overhearing the conversation, instructed the maid to call up Maud.

"Your Majesty, do you remember this? Back then..."

For a while, the meal passed by amidst the sound of the impersonator rambling on one-sidedly. It was a wonder how on earth that woman knew about our shared memories.

Given that level, he must have believed it was real and kept her by his side.

It was clearly appetizing food, but somehow the more I ate, the drier and drier my mouth felt, as if I had chewed on grains of sand.

"Your Majesty, Sous Chef has arrived."

I heard a knock, and soon Wagen's voice reporting to Thierry echoed loudly in my ears like thunder. Feeling nervous for some reason, I quietly stared at the opening door.

The door opened, and an expressionless Maud appeared. As Maud walked quietly toward the edge of the table, her gaze briefly brushed past me.

"...I greet the Sun of the Empire."

"Ah, it wasn't me who called. I'm the one who called."

Thierry rested his chin on his hand and gestured toward the imposter. Maud, who had been looking down, slowly lifted her eyelids.

"Maud! Come this way!"

“Oh, it’s okay.”

"What? Why are you using honorifics? That's awkward."

"Since His Majesty is present, we must show proper etiquette."

"Hmph, Your Majesty. I can speak comfortably, right?"

"As you please."

At his dry reply, the imposter's eyes lit up, and he gestured.

"See, he told me to do whatever I want. It's fine!"

Maud hesitated for a moment, then cautiously opened his mouth.

"...Right. But why did you call me?"

"The food is so delicious! We have to share good food, and it would be a shame if you weren't there. Can't we eat together?"

"Thanks for the compliment, but I'm sorry, it's hard to eat together."

"Why..."

"I have a set time for meals, so I already ate. Let's do it together next time."

"Really? That's a shame... Right, why have your skills improved so much? I was totally surprised after just one bite! Right, Your Majesty?"

I alternated between looking at the profiles of Maud and the imposter as they talked and looked at each other, then lowered my gaze.

I couldn't stand the sight of her. Making all the effort I had put into hiding it seem pointless, I felt a surge of urge to shout that she was an imposter and that I was the real one.

Does Maud think that imposter is real, too? Then what does she think I am?

The only saving grace for me was that Maud suspected both that woman and me; if she saw me as a pathological liar instead of the other person, that would have been the absolute worst. In that case, I felt like my heart would ache too much.

It breaks my heart just seeing Thierry diligently answer that woman's every word, even if it isn't gentle. If Maud is like that too, then I...

"Princess"

"... Yes?"

"I guess it would be better to go up to the room?"

As I suddenly looked up, I met Thierry's eyes who was looking at me.

"Ah. No. It's fine..."

"You look a bit pale."

"Is that so? I'm really fine..."

I smiled awkwardly and slowly rubbed one cheek.

"Oh my, if you're not feeling well, go rest right away!"

The imposter exaggeratedly covered her mouth and lowered the corners of her eyebrows.

"You really should have just gone back and rested earlier..."

Anyone watching would think I insisted on eating here until the very end. I almost let out a hollow laugh. I could feel Maud and Thierry's gazes, but I couldn't take my eyes off the impersonator who was making such a disgusting fuss.

"They say it's best to do nothing and rest when you're not feeling well. Ah, then how about you rest tomorrow too? We'll see Rood together next time. Just in case you feel left out, we won't go see Rood by ourselves. Hehe."

I could see right through her scheme to somehow delay the reunion, fearing rejection from Rood.

Come to think of it, why did I try so hard not to let that woman control me? I should have just been the one controlling her.

"You're a kind person. But I'm really fine."

I displayed my characteristic harmless smile. As I looked at the imposter with gentle eyes and a face devoid of a single trace of malice, the corners of her mouth, which had never let down until now, stiffened slightly for the first time.

"And I feel like seeing Rood would actually give me more strength, so I really want to meet him tomorrow."

"Ah...You must really like Rood?"

The imposter smiled faintly as if mimicking me. However, to my eyes, having noticed the corners of her mouth trembling ever so slightly for a brief moment, it just looked like she was struggling to make an effort.

'You really hate it, don't you? If you hate it that much, I'd want to meet you somehow.'

My depressed mood quickly recovered.

"Of course. You can tell just by looking at him that he's adorable!"

"Y-yes, right. Rood is incredibly adorable, isn't he...?"

I looked at Thierry with a slightly lighter heart. He had been staring at me strangely, and when our eyes met, he raised one eyebrow.

"I'll be taking a lot of walks with Rood tomorrow, so it would be good to get some rest. Your Majesty, may I leave now?"

He let out a smirk. Since he was twisting one corner of his mouth, it might have looked like a mocking laugh, but having observed his expression quite a few times over the years, I knew that he was making that smile when he was in a really good mood.

“I’ll take you there.”

He stood up from his seat and answered. I looked up at him with surprised eyes.

"What? I can just go with Sir Oscar."

"Let's go."

As if to say he would not accept a rebuttal, he approached me and held out a hand. I looked at that hand once, then at Thierry's face, and finally turned my gaze to the imposter.

Satisfactorily, there was no longer any trace of a smile on the imposter's face.

"... Thank you."

I took his hand, smiling with a very apologetic look.

"Then, excuse me for now. See you tomorrow."

I've already started looking forward to tomorrow.

***

The next day, sometime between morning and afternoon, Maud came to my room. With a letter, of all things.

The sender of the letter was Sylvia, and it was said that her lady-in-waiting had come to deliver it to Maud in person.

I leaned against the window and slowly read Sylvia's letter.

[Are you feeling alright? You have no idea how shocked I was to hear the news that the Princess collapsed.]

Who would have known that I would touch the magic stone and collapse after checking Sylvia's letter saying she would come to see me after meeting Thierry? I really wanted to hear what she said and how she talked with Thierry, and it was incredibly disappointing.

[I was disappointed that our greeting was so brief, so I really wanted to have a drink with you, and I have been regretting it ever since that wasn't possible. If you are okay with it, Princess, I would like to set a time again. I am writing this letter because I would like to see for myself how much better you are, and I also received a wonderful gift that I thought would be nice to share with you.]

The thought of sharing a good gift gave me a strange feeling. Given the nature of the aristocracy, they don't usually go out of their way to say they are sharing a gift with someone.

I thought that since they must have a lot to say to me in many ways, there might be something among those words that could be helpful to me.

Ah. Of course, I feel like I'm getting ahead of myself, but strangely enough, I have a hunch... Since Duke Joubert brought that imposter, wouldn't there have been some talk within the ducal household?

Out of all those people, Duke Joubert went out of his way to track down and bring Lari for Thierry? That in itself was a truly absurd situation.

Judging by the circumstances, I wondered if he was trying to pull some other trick instead of Silvia, who wasn't acting the way he wanted; however, since Duke Joubert's bad intentions were evident, I narrowed my brows and clicked my tongue briefly.

I wrote a reply asking her to come tomorrow if possible and gave it to Maud. I wrote it quickly and simply because I heard that Sylvia's maid was waiting to pick it up, so it actually ended up being closer to a note than a letter.

"By the way, when are you going for a walk? You're not saying anything."

Are you planning to leave in the afternoon after lunch? Maybe I should have just gone down to the cafeteria and had breakfast with her, even if I didn't want to see her face?

Thinking about the imposter who was so detestable yesterday, and Duke Joubert's connection to her, I felt a bit anxious. I needed to uncover their connection and identities as soon as possible and make them disappear from my sight; it felt like I couldn't just sit and wait like this.


Previous                    Next



Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments