Attention!!

Please do not copy and repost series from Novellatte. Please ask for permission first. Let's respect each other.

INAT - Chapter 56


"...Do you remember this?"

Thierry hesitated for a moment, then nodded to Wagen, who was standing behind him. Wagen then took out a necklace with a translucent gem from his inner breast pocket and showed it to him.

"Come to think of it, that was sent from Ashtad. I think I collapsed after touching that necklace. Is there any connection to it?"

"That's right, you're brilliant."

"Aren't you looking a bit too blatantly pleased?" I gave Thierry a vague look as he showed signs of genuine praise.

Whether my eyes were playing tricks on me or he looked like a doting fool, I turned my gaze to Wagen, who was also looking at Thierry with a cold, indifferent expression, as if Thierry also looked strange to him.

"...This gem is called a Magic Stone. Do you happen to know anything about Magic Stones?"

Sensing my gaze, Wagen quickly composed himself and asked.

"Magic Stone? You're saying that's a magic stone?"

"You seem to know."

“Oh... a little.”

I trailed off awkwardly. I was so surprised for a moment that I pretended to know, but since it was a magic stone that was essentially a tool of the Kingdom of Ashtad, it was difficult to speak rashly.

I could feel Thierry's gaze staring intently at me. As I slowly pulled the blanket up to cover my mouth, he immediately grabbed my chin as if to block my hand.

Startled. I looked at Thierry in surprise.

"Given the circumstances, I'll ask honestly."

Gulp. I swallowed hard. I nervously looked at Thierry's mouth, not knowing what was about to be said.

"Is it true that you can use this magic stone to help with the Spirit Summoner awakening in the Kingdom of Ashtad?"

How did you know that? I opened my eyes wide.

“I guess that’s right.”

"Ah. Um... that is..."

"I don't intend to dig up information about the kingdom. I'm trying to find out where this was sent."

"Isn't it sent from the Kingdom?"

"It's true that it was sent by the Kingdom. But I suspect that an elf might have pulled some strings in the middle."

“Elf?!”

No. What on earth is going on with this sudden turn of events? How can the topic suddenly shift from the awakening of the Spirit Summoner to Elves?

"They say this magic stone is a rare mineral mined only from the hearts of elves. So, the Kingdom of Ashtad has been receiving this magic stone from the elves all this time."

"So there was really a connection to elves...?"

I muttered in stunned silence.

"But I suspect this necklace might be the elf's independent doing. I sent a telegram to the kingdom, and they said they knew nothing about it, and I think that's the truth."

“Why?”

I naturally assumed they would suspect we were in cahoots, but since they denied it first, I had doubts.

"This must be the reason King Ashtad was deliberating on my request. If this is leaked, it would reveal that the Ashtad royal clan failed to awaken their abilities purely through their own power."

It occurred to me that both this empire and the kingdom were not without an aspect of revering the royal family as gods. It was an ability passed down from generation to generation, serving as proof of a bloodline chosen by the gods, and was held in awe by the people.

However, even if the Ashtad royal family had awakened due to their high affinity for nature, the story would change if the fact spread that without the help of magic stones, it is difficult for even royalty to awaken as spirit users. The very foundation of Ashtad might be shaken.

"But thinking that there was no way he would reveal an item that had to be hidden with his own hands, I became even more convinced. And before, the elf..."

“Before?”

It seems like something really happened with the elf. I wondered why he was poking around everywhere, searching for the elf. Thinking there might be another story behind it, I asked back in curiosity.

"...I'll tell you this later. Once you've stabilized, I'll tell you everything then."

Thierry hesitated for a moment, then averted his gaze and answered. He gave off the impression of having a deep story to tell, so I didn't ask any further questions and simply nodded once.

His long, delicately lowered eyelashes cast a melancholic shadow. His eyelids, which had been hanging downward, twitched slightly and then reluctantly and slowly lifted.

"You might not trust me, but..."

His hand, which had been holding mine for a while, tightened slightly.

“I trust you.”

My hand, gripping the blanket, also tightened.

***

Marie, who trembled with guilt and cried her eyes out when she saw me wake up yesterday, eventually fell ill and was bedridden.

From what I heard, Thierry did not leave my side for the three days I was unconscious, and Marie did not leave her spot as if she were a gatekeeper guarding the door.

I didn't think you would be that worried.

I felt like such a mean person for trying so hard not to give my heart to anyone until the very end.

"They requested repatriation so they could treat you personally in Ashtad."

However, I thought Thierry was being a bit excessive for refusing to leave my side all day the next day as well. To think he wouldn't even let me get out of bed. He even went so far as to personally inspect the food brought into the room and offer it to me, acting as if he were a food taster.

"From Ashtad? Oh, you said they contacted us. So, am I heading back now?"

"If the Princess hadn't woken up."

I blinked my eyes with a look that said, "What on earth are you talking about?"

"...Recovering your health is the priority rather than acting rashly. Besides, I didn't make the request there because I had a specific method in mind."

"... Yes."

"I'll go back later."

"..."

“Let’s talk later.”

“Yes, I do.”

How could I ask him to let me go as he spoke in agony, his eyes contorted? I had no choice but to nod in agreement.

"Come to think of it, I couldn't mention this yesterday because I was so distracted, but what is the magic power the wizard was talking about?"

And as if to lighten the mood of this strange atmosphere that had been felt since yesterday, I deliberately changed the subject.

"Ah. Since you woke up after touching the magic stone, I thought you might have awakened as a Spirit Summoner, so I hid it for now. By any chance, do you feel anything different about yourself, Your Highness?"

“Has anything changed?”

I tilted my head. It felt like the only thing left of me during the time I was down was an intense dream. And even then, I didn't know if it was just a meaningless dream or what any of it was about.

"I don't know. Should I ask my father?"

"If you ask, they'll tell you to come back right away, won't they?"

“Oh. Is that so?”

"I don't really like that..."

"Haha, I see you don't want to. Well, I guess I'll have to ask later."

I smiled awkwardly and resumed the meal I had stopped. I was barely managing to swallow the food, not knowing if it was going into my mouth or my nose, when I could feel his gaze staring intently at me, even though I wasn't looking.

"Seriously, do you really want to go back?"

Just listening to his voice, it was filled with signs of depression. I felt uncomfortable, wondering why he was looking at me so pitifully, as if he should have at least acted forcefully like before.

"Hmm..."

I rolled my eyes wide and stretched out my mouth.

"No, it's fine. You don't have to say anything."

"Yes."

That's a relief. But maybe because I brought up something really uncomfortable? I feel stifled. No, to be precise, I guess I should say I feel hot and flushed.

I put my hand to my forehead, wondering if I was getting a fever again.

“Why? Does it hurt?”

"Ah. I feel a bit hot inside."

"Wait a minute, you're saying your insides are burning?"

"Yes. I feel something hot spreading inside my body. Could I be getting a fever again?"

Instead of answering, he cleared the tray and carefully took my hand. Seeing him furrow his brow, I couldn't help but speak.

"They said yesterday that they felt the same magical power as me."

It seemed like he was talking to himself rather than asking me. He muttered seriously and stared at me as if to pierce right through me.

"Why, why are you doing this?"

"Princess."

"Yes?"

"Imagine gathering that hot energy in your hands."

"Yes?"

"Close your eyes and feel that hot energy. Then, gather that movement here."

No, is it really that easy to do as you say? It was a sudden request, but I closed my eyes for now as instructed. I wasn't sure, but I thought I should at least pretend to do as I was told, so I just kept repeating "gather, gather" in my head.

"...Princess, open your eyes."

"Ah. Is that so? It's not working well."

“Good.”

"I knew it, didn't I?"

“Look here.”

Fire was rising on my palm, which he was pointing to.

"Gasp! Fire, fire! My hand is on fire!"

"Calm down. The Princess made this, so you won't get hurt."

"Me? No, wait, could it be that I've become a Spirit Summoner?"

It was sudden. As if to calm me down, he, who was making a fuss and not knowing what to do, cupped the back of my hand. The fire had gone out abruptly the moment I was startled, so now I could see my empty palm, but the sight of the flames rising from here was all too vivid.

"Spirit users usually make a contract with a spirit. And they cannot use their abilities alone without summoning the contracted spirit."

"What? Then what did I do?"

"Well, that's interesting."

I nodded vigorously. Following him as he tilted his head, I also tilted my head, looking alternately at my empty palm and him.

"I wonder why the Princess gained the same ability as me."

"... Yes?"

Did I hear that correctly? The same ability as Thierry? That power of fire said to be passed down through the royal family?

I didn't stop gaping and looking back and forth.

"I heard it reacts to those with a high affinity for nature, so does that mean it doesn't just awaken the power of spirits?"

"What? What do you mean by nature affinity? That only reacts when your spirit affinity is high!"

Flustered, I curled my lips inward, babbling incoherently, and they caught fire. As I looked at him with a bewildered expression, our eyes met as he stared blankly at me.

"It's fine. It won't do any harm to Ashtad."

“Oh... thank you.”

"Then what is this ability? Even if I ask Ashtad, it seems unlikely they will give me an answer. There is a lot to look into."

Thierry muttered as he gently rubbed my palm with his thumb. The tickling sensation made my fingers feel like they were going to curl up.


Previous                Next


Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee






Comments