Attention!!

Please do not copy and repost series from Novellatte. Please ask for permission first. Let's respect each other.

INAT - Chapter 52




It was just a momentary pain, and picturing themselves living happily in a world just for them one day, the man purified his briefly tainted mood.

The elf, who had been staring at the man's profile, eventually put on his hood again as if to hide his worried expression and opened his mouth.

"...But what if my life is in danger?"

"So, I’m going to send you a replacement. Since you’ve used it once before, won’t you adapt quickly?"

The man smiled quite gently. Unlike the heavy content, his tone was quite light, creating a strong sense of disconnect.

"We can't rule out the possibility that the soul might transfer to another body. What if it goes to the wrong place like last time?"

Elf narrowed his eyebrows as he recalled the failure he had experienced seven years ago.

Normally, her soul should have transferred into an elf body that had been prepared separately at that time. If that had gone properly, the status of the elf race might have risen by now, and they might have regained their past glory.

However, the soul rebelled, and the plan ended up failing; fortunately, the soul had settled into the body of the Princess of the Kingdom of Ashtad, so it was immediately noticeable.

"Then I can just find her again. As long as she remains in this world, I can find her somehow."

Making the elf's worries seem pointless, the man muttered nonchalantly. He actually appeared quite relaxed.

In the first place, the Princess's body had a decent affinity for nature, and since it was an empty shell from which her soul had long departed, she was able to move; the probability of finding another body with such a combination of various conditions was slim.

One man continued speaking with an expectant look on his face, as if he had no intention of going out of his way to explain.

"All we need is her soul; her appearance doesn't matter."

The man's low laughter scattered in the chilly breeze.

***

"Did Your Majesty request an invitation?"

"Yes!"

"And did you actually send the dinner invitation?"

"Yes!"

Maud asked me several times, as if to say if what she had just heard was correct. I, who had chattered away about everything that happened yesterday as soon as we met, answered Maud firmly that it was true.

I checked on Oscar, who was in the distance, and held back my voice from rising. Thanks to Marie's help, I had secretly met Maud while pretending to go for a walk early in the morning, so I needed to be as careful as possible.

Since Thierry already knew everything, I wasn't sure if it would be okay to just meet him comfortably. However, since I didn't know Thierry's true feelings for sure yet, I was cautious about acting rashly, fearing that it might cause harm to Maud as well, let alone me.

Well, to avoid causing any harm in the first place, it would be right to keep my distance, but since that is difficult, I am trying to pretend to build a friendship by meeting by chance like this.

"Isn't it really strange?"

"Yeah, that's really weird..."

Maud frowned and tilted her head.

"Right? I really don't know what on earth he's thinking."

I tilted my head back, muttering sullenly as if lamenting. Unlike my insides, which felt as though dark clouds were gathering, the sky today was exceptionally clear, without a single cloud.

As I tightly closed my eyes, stinging in the sunlight, I was reminded of Thierry from yesterday. I remembered how he had clumsily written an invitation and handed it to the Chamberlain with the mindset of "I have to do it since I was told to," but then insisted on showing up at mealtime holding that very invitation.

Are you perhaps trying to humiliate me uniquely...? You mean I can't even write a single invitation properly?

In that moment, the image of him placing the invitation on the dining table and snickering while fiddling with it flashed through my mind.

Come to think of it, I think he might have laughed at it...?

Thinking about Thierry yesterday left me speechless. He’s not a child, yet to think he’s the one who needs to get the invitation first.

But on the other hand, the way he strangely emphasized the 'first' looked almost like jealousy. So I wondered if he might actually be genuinely interested in me...

Come to think of it now, it seemed like I might have been overly self-conscious.

As soon as I realized it, my face flushed with shame. I bowed my head low and rubbed my forehead with my fingertips.

"Maybe we were mistaken?"

"Uh?"

I snapped up at the unexpected remark. My eyes met Maud's, who was staring at me with a strange expression.

"I'm saying this because the more I watch you, the more it seems like he isn't really treating you well, just using you."

"What's wrong with you all of a sudden... How is this the behavior of someone trying to be nice? You're just trying to put me in an awkward position."

"Hmm, I think that's because we're looking at it with preconceived notions..."

I was speechless at Maud's serious attitude toward me, as if trying to soothe someone in denial of reality. Just moments ago, I had tried hard to convince myself that it was a misunderstanding or just my own overconfidence, but being refuted like that left me feeling nothing but confused.

The fact that it doesn't look that way to me means that all of Thierry's actions could be sincere. Could it be that he believes I'm Lari and is treating me well? Really?

I pursed my lips, lost in thought. Then, biting my lip, I struggled to calmly assess the actions Thierry had taken so far.

Before I could even fully let that thought continue, what he said prevented me from thinking any further.

"Then, may I ask what you intend to do if you find her?"

"...I'm going to clean it up."

Wait! At this rate, whether I mean it or not, isn't there really no benefit in revealing it...?

But of all things, I ended up thinking of something completely negative first. I couldn't easily tell Thierry about my identity, which I had revealed so easily to Maud.

In a way, Thierry was closer than Maud, yet I felt like I kept coming up with reasons why I shouldn't reveal my identity. It left a bitter taste in my mouth.

"I wasn't suggesting we reveal it's you right away, but rather that we observe things from a slightly different perspective. Anyway, about the things I asked you to do earlier."

As my mood grew increasingly serious, Maud spoke lightly, as if to shift the focus. She then naturally changed the subject; since it was exactly something I was curious about, I also made an effort to push Thierry aside and focused on what Maud was saying.

"There is no way to know the exact date you died. Only His Majesty would know."

"In the end, is that the only way..."

I expected it would be difficult to find a witness since there was absolutely no way anyone would be around the villa, but seeing that there didn't seem to be even the slightest chance, I was starting to feel frustrated. To think there is no way to know why I died, or why I woke up in this body.

"Yeah. Let's think about that. And I found the abandoned mine you mentioned."

"Oh. Really? Do you happen to know how much it is?"

"Yeah. It's abandoned land, so you can consider it practically free. But are you really planning to buy this place?"

Maud shook her head with a look that clearly indicated this was not right. I mean, I intend to buy it because I know diamonds will be mined in that abandoned mine, but to someone who doesn't know that, it would look like nothing more than throwing money away.

"Trust me. I have a good feeling about this. I'll earn enough money for you to never have to work for the rest of your life!"

"Okay, well... I'll gratefully accept the offer."

Even as I said that, her face showed not the slightest bit of belief. Maud, who had been wearing only a faint smile with a look of pity in her eyes, shrugged her shoulders once as if resignedly and continued speaking.

“Then I’ll buy it.”

"Ah. Of course, mine won't work under that name, but wouldn't yours be at risk too?"

"Yeah. Mine will probably reach His Majesty's ears right away. I can just create a fictitious name while I'm at it. I don't know."

"Then I'll leave it to you. As for the money, I heard Ashtad sent a gift, so I'll check what it is and try to get it with that if possible."

"A gift? Perfect timing. Still, it might be difficult to handle right away, so I'll buy it for now. That land is so cheap that the price won't be a burden for me at all."

"Is it that good? That's great."

Maud, who had been quietly watching me excitedly, turned her head away with a sour expression.

"...Yeah. It must be good for now."

"I understand, but isn't that reaction a bit too much!" 

I whispered, trying to suppress my anger.

"No, I'm telling you, it's really going to get better."

"Yes, yes..."

"What are you going to do if things go well for you later?"

"What do you mean, what do you mean, what do you mean? If it worked out well, it's something to celebrate."

"... You're right, but it's strangely annoying?"

As I tilted my head slightly and glared, Maud clamped her mouth shut with a look that said she couldn't stand it anymore, then soon burst into laughter.

Haha, a refreshing laugh echoed through the forest path. I had been careful, keeping an eye on my surroundings, but laughing like that could have gotten me caught.

I wondered what on earth was so funny that she was rolling on the floor laughing. I was so dumbfounded that I was about to tell her to be quiet, but before I could even realize it, a bright smile had formed on my lips as well.

In the end, I scolded Maud in a naturally flushed voice and covered my face with both hands.

"Hey, stop laughing. Pfft, ah! You're making me laugh too."

"You're laughing more than I am, you know? You're the one who needs to calm down."

At the sound of her voice heavy with laughter, I gently withdrew my hand. Seeing Maud laughing so hard that her face was contorted, I soon gave up, as if I couldn't help it, and laughed comfortably.

And we looked at each other and laughed for a long time, as if we were so happy to be spending this time together.

Hoping that the days we spend together like this will last a long time.

"Gasp... Princess! Snap out of it!"

But to think something like this happens just as I was hoping for something.

"Princess!!!"

Why did I collapse? Why does it hurt so much, like my insides are burning up?

I stared blankly at the trajectory of the translucent gem rolling across the floor as it slipped from my hand, then closed my eyes as if sinking into fading consciousness. It was black.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee






Comments