"I don't know the details either, but His Majesty said you are dead. However, he said you will return someday. He told me to stay here so that Lari won't feel unfamiliar or lonely when she comes back."
"Then he doesn't resent me?"
"I haven't had a heart-to-heart conversation with Your Majesty, so I don't know for sure about that. But I don't think it's resentment."
That's ridiculous. I naturally assumed Thierry would resent me just by believing the rumors... Then isn't it okay if I reveal that I'm Lari?
That was merely a secondary reason for hiding it in the first place, but my mind kept wavering.
"But come to think of it, I think hiding it was the right thing to do."
However, as if sensing my inner thoughts, Maud spoke cautiously.
"As you said, many things have happened, and as you know, His Majesty is in danger right now. Since you never know how he might react to unexpected situations, it might be better for you to avoid taking risks as much as possible."
I remained silent for a moment before answering. As my impulsive mind subsided, I felt my reason gradually returning.
"...So, are you telling me not to say anything?"
"No. I mean that we need to act a little more cautiously. His Majesty indeed missed you, too. But even I am not sure anymore if those feelings are the same as they used to be."
Maud stared into the distance like someone lost in reminiscence. Her dark brown eyes, which had been groping in the air for a moment, fixed on me again, and my blurred focus returned.
"...I'm worried that it might have turned into a twisted obsession."
It was a firm voice. Perhaps that is why her words, laced with a certain degree of conviction, seemed to be based on the actions shr had observed by his side, helping to steady my wavering heart.
"And I think it would be better if you didn't step forward like you are now. If there is anything that needs to be investigated, I will handle it."
"What? Are you sure you'll be okay? It's going to cost quite a bit..."
"It’s not like I’ve just been sitting around in the kitchen all this time. I wasn’t sure, so I just did the preparations but couldn’t actually put them into action."
I looked at Maud with a bewildered expression. Maud stared at me intently, then grinned mischievously.
"But you came all this way. You can do it now."
It was a delightful laugh that I hadn't heard in a long time, making me feel like I had returned to my childhood.
***
Before I knew it, the debutante ball was just one day away.
Unlike those who were fully prepared for tomorrow, my attention was focused solely on Chloe. And whether he was similar to me or knew of my interest and was using it, Thierry came to the room again today.
'Could the rumor that Thierry hates people be wrong?'
Why would someone like that come looking for me day after day? On top of that, he follows me like a ghost wherever I go, and whenever he exchanges a word with anyone, he glares at them as if he wants to kill them...
'It's only because it's him that I'm not mistaken. If it were anyone else, I would have misunderstood and thought you liked me a long time ago.'
I naturally assumed it was the latter—a ploy to get my attention—and smiled faintly out of habit. I was surprised by my own adaptability, now sitting across from someone at the terrace table sipping tea, but outwardly, I pretended to be nonchalant and ruminated on what Thierry had told me.
"...It's surprising that Count Ante exposed the former head maid."
As soon as Countess Chloe of Ante was arrested, the one naturally summoned was her husband, Count Ante.
Count Hana Ante, having apparently been dissatisfied with Chloe for some time, immediately exposed every detail of her behavior. He filed for divorce, stating that she had lived only in the Imperial Palace even after marriage and had not visited the Count's residence since being promoted to Head Maid.
Furthermore, by testifying that she consistently sent her personal funds provided by the Count's family, along with her salary, to her parents' home, the Viscount Walt family, every single month, she ambiguously tainted the position of the Viscount Walt family, who had been the victims in the Serira murder case.
"Yeah, it looks like they had a lot bottled up. They even gathered evidence over time."
Thierry said in a casual tone as he put down the teacup.
"Just as Count Ante said, I looked into the funds that flowed into the Viscount Walt family, but it was confirmed that Viscount Walt actually received only a portion."
“Just some?”
"Yeah. It seems like it's just a show, as it's only about 30%, so we need to find out where the remaining 70% of the funds went. I think we might get a clearer picture once we track that down."
"Ah, I see. Then what happens to the former Head Maid?"
"Since we won't get a satisfactory answer even after interrogation, I'm going to hang her. I can't carry it out right now because of an event, so I'll do it in about three days."
So, it's hanging in the end. But I just asked on a hunch, and you explained it more easily than I expected.
I had doubts about Thierry's behavior, as he shared the progress of the case in more detail than I had expected.
'I like it, but is it really okay to tell me everything like this?'
Since he kept saying he would just watch me idly drink tea or sleep, all I did was ask about the Chloe case, thinking I might as well get the run myself. I did say I was curious, but I never thought he would actually answer; to think he told me so easily.
As if he had read my expression, Thierry said nonchalantly.
"You contributed greatly to this case, so it is only natural to share the progress. Besides, there is nothing the Princess cannot ask me."
It was enough to make me wonder if he was trying to win my favor, a native of Ashtad, and extract information about the elves.
'Is he really acting like this because of that?'
However, even if he was testing me with a sliver of hope because of that, he must have known that I actually didn't know much about elves.
No matter how I looked at it, it was a losing proposition, but seeing him go to such lengths, I was starting to wonder if Thierry was actually opening up to me.
To hide my thoughts, I nodded with a look that simply said, "Oh, I see," while fiddling with my teacup. A brief silence fell, and it was around the time the wind brushed past us.
"But Princess, don't you have anything to say to me?"
Thierry started a conversation in the flowing silence.
"Huh? What do you have to say?"
"...I heard you've gotten close to Sous Chef lately."
Thierry did not take his eyes off me for a single moment. With dark, crimson eyes sunken in the darkness, he continued speaking in a low voice, like someone cautiously observing my reaction or waiting for something.
"How did you become close? You're such a hard person to get close to."
A look of hesitation flashed across Thierry's face as he hesitated to speak, but it was only for a moment; he soon blew on me impatiently, gazing at me with eyes full of longing, as if he were someone yearning for something.
My mouth stiffened before I knew it. Forgetting my usual habit of raising the corners of my mouth, I pursed my lips like someone who had no idea what to do.
"Why..."
"Yes?"
"Why are you hesitating to say it? Is there something you can't tell me?"
"No! That's not it. It's just that there's nothing special..."
"Or not."
He stopped speaking and sprang to his feet. I stared up at him blankly and followed his movements. He quickly approached me, knelt on one knee, and pressed himself close to my leg.
As darkness drew near, his heavy body scent was carried on the breeze.
"...!"
I leaned my upper body back, not knowing what to do with the unexpected position and distance. However, when I ended up merely flinching against the backrest, he stopped his attempt to come closer.
Instead, our gazes met at close range. The suffocating silence felt as if it were strangling my throat. But the distance was an even bigger problem. It was so close that I felt cautious even to breathe.
As I nervously rolled my eyes around and tried to avoid his gaze, he parted his lips a few times. Then, in a voice that was on the verge of fading, he spat out a single word.
"...Are you scared of me?"
I stared at him blankly, my face devoid of words. It was true that I was scared, but honestly, I wasn't as scared as before. At some point, I stopped being as wary of others as I used to be, and there were even times when I responded comfortably without realizing it.
Even so, I strangely hesitated to tell him that I wasn't scared.
'Was it because he was still uncomfortable and still cautious around me? Or was it because he was afraid I might give him my hopes, seeing those eyes that keep looking at me like someone hoping for something?'
After a long moment of hesitation, I nodded ever so slightly, rationalizing it as an unavoidable choice since I could not know the true nature of that expectation.
His red eyes, which had been facing me, trembled slightly and then lowered as if avoiding my gaze. It was as if he were someone facing something terrifying.
At that moment, I heard the sound of him inhaling and saw his broad chest swell greatly. However, his breath, which had paused for a moment, soon returned to a gasping rhythm like someone struggling to swallow something, to the point where I could feel his breath.
Worried, I unconsciously took his arm carefully. The stiff muscles and intense heat were vividly transmitted to my palm.
Then, as if that were a signal, he grabbed my hand with his other arm like someone desperate. Holding my hand tightly so it wouldn't slip from his, he lifted his head.
"I won't do anything you dislike. If there is anything you want, whatever it may be, I will do it your way."
Blood welled up in his eyes. I stared at him in increasing bewilderment as he continued speaking nervously in an agitated voice, as if he were watching my every move.
"So please... don't avoid me."
This wasn't right. I was bewildered by his extremely confused attitude.
No. Honestly, his attitude was clear, but his intentions were lukewarm. He asked me if I was Lari, but as for me, I had no basis to be certain that he would really trust me. The situation was different from Maud. Unlike Maud, Thierry had changed so much from the person I used to know.
But why is he acting like he's actually hurt by my attitude?
I frowned at the surge of emotion welling up inside me.
"Your Majesty, I am merely a Princess who came to the Empire due to an agreement. What on earth do you expect from someone like me?"
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment