Carcel naturally introduced me as the Marchioness.
I smiled awkwardly, feeling shy about that title.
Then the manager smiled brightly and guided us.
"Welcome. Your daughter is very pretty as well. I will prepare the room immediately."
Carcel walked in step with me to the room we were guided to, as if it were the most natural thing in the world.
'A married couple.'
I felt a tickling sensation in my heart, like butterflies fluttering their wings, wondering if that is how we appear to people now.
I sat facing Carcel, biting my lip tightly.
Linea sat next to me.
"Asha, feel free to order whatever you want to eat."
"Hmm... could you pick it out today, Carcel? I'm not picky about seafood."
“What about your daughter?”
Then Linea also shook her head, tucking her hair behind her ear with her small hands.
"I like them all, too!"
"Then it's decided! Carcel will pick it out."
As I sent him a look filled with anticipation, Carcel let out a low laugh.
"In that case, I think raw oysters drizzled with lemon and shallot vinaigrette, crab consommé, lobster with butter sauce, and halibut would suffice."
"Wow, I don't know what you're talking about, but everything looks delicious."
Carcel smiled, his eyes curving as I said that.
Carcel, having pulled the leash, placed an order with the server who had just entered.
After the server left, I turned my head to Linea and asked.
"Linea, today is the day the Marquis, Mom, and you finally become a family of three. How do you feel?"
In fact, the most important figure in this marriage was Linea.
Even though the child seemed to welcome the marriage, seeing how quiet he was today, it seemed like he had something else on his mind.
I gazed for a moment into Linea's eyes, which were as clear as the summer sky, as she looked up at me.
"Family..."
The child, who had been rolling the word 'family' around in their mouth like that, soon opened their arms to me without saying a word.
"Huh?"
I obediently picked up Linea, who was still silent.
The child in my arms hugged my neck tightly, just like last night.
Instead of rushing her, I just patted Linea's back.
Because she wasn't originally a child who threw tantrums or acted spoiled.
To the point where I'd rather she act that way than be an old soul.
And now, Linea rubbed her hair against my neck as if she were acting spoiled.
I couldn't help but laugh a little at that cute gesture.
“Why?”
"I still can't believe it."
The child forced a smile in a wet voice.
"It just doesn't feel real."
"That's right. You're so cute I could die. My little one."
I hugged Linea tightly and shook her gently.
Then Linea smiled softly.
"Mom."
"Yes."
“Mom.”
“Why?”
I soothed Linea more, as she kept calling out to me.
Soon, Linea spoke to me in a hushed voice.
"You know. There was something I wanted to try doing with Mom. Can I tell you?"
When I asked Linea what she liked before, the child answered that she didn't know.
I thought that just saying there was something he wanted to do with me was a huge step forward.
"I wonder what Linea wants to do. Whatever it is, I guess I'll have to grant it."
"Well, my birthday is coming up soon... I want to have a birthday party with my friends. Mom and the Marquis are with me, too."
"Ah."
I suddenly realized why Linea was saying this.
That's right, when I thought about it, it was like that.
'The moment Linea first realized she liked Lucian.'
To Lucian, Linea was his only friend, and the same was true for Linea.
In the story, Linea was banned from having a birthday party.
Naturally, since Linea couldn't throw a birthday party, she didn't really receive any birthday wishes either.
On her 12th birthday, as Linea was celebrating her birthday alone in such sadness, Lucian called out to her from over the wall.
And Lucian, who celebrated Linea's birthday, eats cake with her and gives her a gift.
To Linea, Lucian is the first friend who remembered and celebrated her birthday, and he is also the person she came to like.
As they walk along, the two naturally become each other's first love.
Fortunately, since Linea's birthday hadn't passed this year, it seemed like I would be able to throw her a birthday party.
I cast my gaze toward Carcel.
Then he opened his mouth gently.
"I will throw the most extravagant birthday party in the world. If you wish, I think it would be fine to invite all the nobles to celebrate your daughter's birthday."
A glint appeared in Carcel's eyes. He curled his lips into a smile with a hmm.
I shook my head.
"Rather than that... I’d like to invite only Linea’s friends her age. After all, Linea needs friends too."
"When is your daughter's birthday?"
"Come to think of it, Linea's birthday is in two days. Good heavens, I've been so busy I completely forgot to throw a birthday party for her."
Reflecting once again, I stroked Linea's hair.
"Linea, then shall we go make invitations today to send to Lucian and your friends? It’s only two days away, so it’ll be hard to invite many."
"Are you really sure about that...? It's going to be expensive."
Linea looked worried about money first.
I said to Linea triumphantly.
"Linea. Now I can do everything I've always wanted to do for you without worrying about what others think! It's not like I'm being extravagant; do you really not have enough money just to throw a birthday party? Spend to your heart's content!"
I asked Linea.
"And from now on, I'll give Linea an allowance every month, so why don't you try keeping an allowance ledger?"
“Pocket money?”
"Yeah. You should start managing money from a young age. You can buy whatever Linea wants, or if not, you can save that money and grow it even bigger."
"... Then can I become rich someday too?"
In fact, now that I have bought the mine, Linea is bound to become rich.
Since I intended to leave it all to Linea in the future, it would be best to start managing the money now.
I nodded and gently coaxed the child.
"Of course. To become rich, you need to have the habit of managing small amounts of money step by step."
At those words, for some reason, Linea wore a determined expression.
She clenched her small fist tightly, then, filled with determination, nodded to me.
"Then I want to be rich too!"
“Yeah, really?”
'Linea wasn't the type of person who wanted to be a businesswoman or rich...'
There might be a side of Linea I don't know!
"Then I'll give you an allowance starting this week, so why don't you manage it from now on?"
Linea answered loudly.
"Yes! I will definitely become rich!"
"I should give my daughter some allowance as well."
Carcel let out a low laugh, perhaps finding Linea cute.
Seeing the child suddenly showing tremendous enthusiasm for financial management, I couldn't help but let out a soft laugh, just like Carcel.
"You're so clever, my little one."
I kissed Linea's cheek several times while holding her in my arms.
As I gave a little kiss on her chubby white cheek, Linea burst into laughter.
"It tickles!"
"How can I give up a kiss when you're this cute? I can't! Oh, you're so pretty."
"Haha."
Linea finally started to laugh comfortably, unlike before.
The food arrived soon after, while the atmosphere was still warm and friendly.
With a much brighter Linea and Carcel, who looked at the child and me warmly, I was able to have my first family meal, just as good as any other family's.
***
After returning home, I drew and sent a birthday party invitation to Linea, and an ordinary day passed.
Still, Linea's timid look from yesterday had faded considerably, and her expression had brightened.
Thanks to that, I was also able to feel relieved.
'Since the daughters of those who raised Carcel adored Linea and took such good care of her.'
The maids always added a comment, saying that she was a rare softie in a Marquis's household, and looking at the family portrait, I think I understood why.
Carcel's fearsome aura seems to be a family trait.
Today, while Carcel was out on business, I looked around the house with the butler.
Then I also saw a portrait of his parents and Carcel, who looked like a teenager.
'The father's aura was seriously no joke. The mother looked scary too.'
Apart from the fact that both of them were a handsome man and a beautiful woman, it seemed like they could make even a tiger cower with just a single glance.
'I should still suggest going to see my mother-in-law tomorrow.'
Although he said he had received my permission to marry, Carcel never mentioned going to see his mother.
Rather, I am just moving incredibly enthusiastically for the birthday party two days later.
And as night fell, I had moved from the room I had been using to the master bedroom I had been guided back to.
'He smiled sweetly and said that since I had become his wife, I naturally had to use the couple's bedroom, so I couldn't refuse.'
After dissuading the maids from washing me, I washed myself alone in the bathroom and then pondered for a moment in the dressing room.
It is our first night of marriage, but since this is a contract marriage, we don't necessarily have to spend the first night together, do we?
But judging by the fact that Carcel hasn't said anything either, it looks like we'll probably be staying in the same room...
I needlessly fiddled with the toner and rose oil placed on the dressing table.
'Even if I'm not spending the first night with him, if we're going to share the same bed, wouldn't it be polite to smell nice?'
I gathered up various excuses inwardly as I applied rose oil here and there.
And it was the moment I finally made up my mind and opened the door to the master bedroom connected to the dressing room.
As soon as I opened it, Carcel was sitting on the bed nonchalantly.
Previous Next

Comments
Post a Comment