At those words, Linea, who had been half-asleep and had half-closed her eyes, gradually opened them.
“Marriage?!”
It was the first time I had seen Linea raise her voice this much, so I stifled my laughter.
"Actually... I was proposed to by the Marquis early this morning."
I held out my left hand to Linea, whispering as if sharing a secret.
The surroundings instantly brightened as if someone had lit a candle.
Linea let out a gasp with a surprised look on her face.
"Wow. Was the ring this big?"
"It's a bit big, isn't it?"
I felt a bit awkward for no reason, so I giggled.
"The Marquis must really love my mother."
Saying that, Linea smiled gently.
The lovely blush spreading across her cheeks, which had suddenly become plump, made her look like an innocent baby angel.
I pressed my fingertips firmly onto Linea's plump cheek.
"Cute."
"Mother, no, Mom..."
Linea cautiously glanced at me with a look that seemed to say, "Is it okay to call me that?"
I nodded with a broad smile.
"I'm Linea's mom!"
"Hehe."
I gently pinched the cheek of the child who was smiling in relief.
I gently let go of the soft, tender skin and asked cautiously.
"First of all, I need to get married to register Linea on my family register, so I was planning to go register our marriage today."
“Can I come with you?”
"I was actually thinking of going with you to the wedding. Linea is family, after all."
Upon hearing those words, Linea's fluffy cheeks turned red like cherries again.
He looked embarrassed.
I smiled at Linea.
"Then, shall we get up and get ready together?"
"Yes!"
Linea nodded vigorously, as if forgetting the unhappy memories of yesterday.
“Then let’s go!”
***
Originally, marriage registration in the Kaldtran Empire takes place at the same time as the wedding ceremony.
"Do you normally go here to register your marriage?"
"Usually, you can resolve this at a nearby temple, but the process proceeds a little faster if you do it at the Grand Temple."
"I see."
I didn't know because I hadn't had a reason to visit the Great Temple until now.
"By the way, how long do you plan to hold Linea?"
Seeing that he hadn't been able to put Linea down on the floor for a while, I quietly tried to sound him out.
Carcel avoided my gaze and desperately made excuses like a guilty person.
"Since there are a lot of people, your daughter might get lost, and her feet might hurt if she walks for a long time..."
“Ugh.”
"I will let her down once we get inside."
I shook my head.
“Let’s go now!”
"Yes."
Carcel, feeling dejected, nodded while glancing at me.
The interior of the main hall had high ceilings and was finished with elegant marble, making it impossible to guess that it was a place for registering a marriage.
"It’s like an art museum.”
"Shall we go to an art museum together next time? The Imperial Art Museum is nearby, and it has a spacious garden, so it's great for children to run around and play."
“Good!”
It felt like the list of things to do with Carcel and Linea was growing one by one.
Later, when we become an official family...
I looked at Carcel, who had lightly lifted Linea into one arm, and Linea, who was now comfortably nestled in Carcel's arms.
'For some reason, I feel like I can imagine the future.'
I laughed softly.
Carcel looked down at me and subtly reached out his hand.
"You don't have to hold onto it if you don't want to."
He spoke kindly to me. And I snuggled up and took Carcel's hand.
"I don't mind. Carcel has big hands and a cold body temperature, so it's nice and cool."
"That's a relief. I will keep lowering my body temperature."
"...Is that even possible with a human body?"
Hearing my voice in disbelief, he let out a low laugh.
"If Asha wants it, I will make the impossible possible."
"Good grief. Linea, listen up!"
After walking along amicably with Carcel, the place we arrived at was a space that looked like a reception area.
As I let go of his hand, he strode over first and spoke.
"We came to register our marriage."
"Yes?"
Marriage among the Empire's upper class was conducted by signing the marriage register under the guidance of a priest at the same time as the wedding ceremony.
Perhaps that is why it is rare for a marriage report to be filed directly here, so the priest blinked his eyes.
"We plan to register the marriage before the wedding."
"Ah."
The priest looked back and forth between Linea, whom Carcel was holding, and me, who was standing behind him, with a look of realization that he had noticed something.
He continued speaking naturally with a benevolent look, as if to say, "I understand everything."
"Ah. In cases like this, many people choose to register their marriage rather than hold a wedding ceremony. You just need to fill out these documents."
The new officer, who had been busily opening drawers to search for unused documents, suddenly raised his head.
Sweating profusely as if realizing his mistake, he cautiously asked us a question.
"By the way, I apologize, but may I verify the status of both families? Uh, it is standard procedure. Future husband, please show me your ID first."
“I understand.”
While Carcel briefly looked away to find his ID, the priest winked at me unnaturally a few times.
"Yes?"
As I tilted my head, wondering why he was acting that way, the priest handed me a piece of paper with something scribbled on it in a hurry, as if to show only me.
"This is a document that only Madam needs to see."
“Is there such a thing?”
"Shhhh."
I secretly looked at the paper the priest awkwardly handed me.
<If you have been forced into an unwanted marriage using your daughter as a hostage, please nod your head now. I will help you.>
I looked up again and met the priest's eyes.
Then the priest gave me a forced smile, raising both thumbs.
Carcel's impression was so strong that it seemed they had misunderstood something.
In the end, to put an end to the misunderstanding, I crumpled the paper, put it in my pocket so Carcel couldn't see it, and shook my head.
"My dear, it's taking a while to find your ID. Shall Asha find it for you?"
Then, deliberately speaking with a touch of cuteness and linking arms with Carcel, the priest's expression finally changed to one of surprise, as if saying, "Oh."
He soon seemed to understand, so I smiled kindly back at him.
However, was frozen on the spot like a plaster statue.
"Honey! Why is it taking so long?"
He turned his head with a creaking sound and looked down at me.
I gave him a slight smile as he merely moved his lips, his expression clearly showing his astonishment.
"...I, I will take it out right away."
Carcel, who had been looking dazed, blushed strangely at the corners of his ears and abruptly pulled out his ID card.
"My darling's ID, and this is mine. Please check it."
"Understood."
In the end, Carcel and I were only able to get the documents issued after presenting our IDs for verification.
As I filled out and submitted the documents on the spot, the new officer checked them thoroughly.
He spoke to us in a much more relaxed voice, as if he had let his guard down.
"It has been confirmed. Once the documents are officially registered, the marriage cannot be annulled from that point on."
"Understood."
I nodded.
"Congratulations on your marriage. Your daughter is very cute, too."
The priest handed Linea a lollipop.
"Thank you."
Linea smiled slightly shyly as she thanked them.
After handling an urgent schedule and leaving the Great Hall, it was nearly lunchtime.
At that time, Carcel made the first suggestion.
"Since we're out, how about we go out for a meal on the way back? We've even registered our marriage, so let's celebrate."
"Sounds good."
Before deciding on the menu, I asked Linea.
"Linea, is there anything you want to eat?"
“It’s all good.”
Today, Linea spoke even less than before.
There must be some thoughts floating around inside that little child's head that I don't know about.
However, there is no need to force it out.
I intended to ask cautiously when Linea seemed ready.
"Then what about Carcel?"
"Asha, do you want to eat something fresh today, or something a bit heavier?"
"Hmm..."
It was a relief that he didn't say, 'Asha, do as you please.'
I don't know any restaurants around here, and I have trouble making choices.
Thanks to Carcel's question, which gave me an option, I was able to answer relatively easily.
"Hmm. Since it's still daytime, something fresh?"
"Then, I know a seafood restaurant near the Great Temple. How about that?"
"Great!"
And so, I arrived at the restaurant with Carcel.
Perhaps because it was lunchtime, the place was packed, but the manager, upon seeing Carcel's face, rushed over to greet him immediately.
"Oh my, it's been a long time. Did you get married in the meantime? And a daughter too!"
"This is my wife, the Marchioness Asha Rivandel."
Previous Next

Comments
Post a Comment